365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earthquake

+16
Dave-O
fostever
healdgator
Mark B
Michael Enright
Kevin L
Nick Morris
Kenny B.
Alex Kubacki
Jack_Scaff
Ken Mello
Chris M
Seth Harrison
Admin
Jerry
Mrs. Schuey
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Earthquake  Empty Earthquake

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Hope our buds in the east are all alright after that earthquake in VA and D.C. area... Chris? Kevin?
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Earthquake  Empty Re: Earthquake

Post  Jerry Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:16 pm

They are serious runners and will be fine.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Saw Kenny FB'd that he felt the quake...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:36 pm

I was sitting in a coffee shop editing photos and the room started swaying. Having never felt an earthquake, I thought there something wrong with me for a second and didn't give it another thought. Five minutes later, my wife calls me asking me if I felt the earthquake. Only then did I realize it wasn't me. I guess I know what the conversation over dinner will be tonight.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:47 pm

I was in Trader Joe's (Falls Church, VA) walking through the wine section when it hit. About 100 bottles fell off the shelves and hit the ground so there was wine and glass shooting around everywhere but everyone I saw was fine and unharmed. Scary. I think I mostly slept through a small one in San Jose, CA years ago but this one seemed pretty big although I don't have experience with what earthquakes are like. Back here at work, everyone wants to use it as an excuse to call it a day. Hope everyone is OK out there.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Chris M wrote:I was in Trader Joe's (Falls Church, VA) walking through the wine section when it hit. About 100 bottles fell off the shelves and hit the ground so there was wine and glass shooting around everywhere but everyone I saw was fine and unharmed. Scary. I think I mostly slept through a small one in San Jose, CA years ago but this one seemed pretty big although I don't have experience with what earthquakes are like. Back here at work, everyone wants to use it as an excuse to call it a day. Hope everyone is OK out there.

How did you end up in the worst possible place to be during a quake? Surrounded by fragile glass bottles - amazing! Glad to hear everyone was OK, though. We had many earthquakes during the 5 years I lived in California, so I know how scary they can be.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Ken Mello wrote:
Chris M wrote:I was in Trader Joe's (Falls Church, VA) walking through the wine section when it hit. About 100 bottles fell off the shelves and hit the ground so there was wine and glass shooting around everywhere but everyone I saw was fine and unharmed. Scary. I think I mostly slept through a small one in San Jose, CA years ago but this one seemed pretty big although I don't have experience with what earthquakes are like. Back here at work, everyone wants to use it as an excuse to call it a day. Hope everyone is OK out there.

How did you end up in the worst possible place to be during a quake? Surrounded by fragile glass bottles - amazing! Glad to hear everyone was OK, though. We had many earthquakes during the 5 years I lived in California, so I know how scary they can be.

I think Chris was just getting ready for his 12 o'clock bottle of wine.

I think I read that people are more at risk for having a heart attack after a quake because of the rush/fear etc. I know that my heart gets racing when I even THINK one is coming.

Be safe - don't forget about aftershocks - and avoid being outside if at all possible (at least near a building) should there be another tremor - it's not the quake that'll hurt you - it is a falling object.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:16 pm

I felt this in Mass. Our building started shaking. A presentation screen started waving around. In the past few months we've had some tornados, a big hail storm, and now feeling an earthquake. All we're missing is the hurricane which we still have plenty of time to get.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:21 pm

I am still under my desk. Let me know when it is safe to come out so I can FB, DM, 365Runner forum, Twitter, etc. lol
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:I felt this in Mass. Our building started shaking. A presentation screen started waving around. In the past few months we've had some tornados, a big hail storm, and now feeling an earthquake. All we're missing is the hurricane which we still have plenty of time to get.

The Mayans are right...December 2012...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:23 pm

No worries - it was just me doing a hard tempo run.
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:43 pm

The real question is, Chris, were you the first to run out of the store? lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:02 pm

In Hartford, it was a weird feeling on the 26th floor, with the floor underneath us feeling like it was flexing, but relatively slightly. Brought people out into the hallway wondering what was going on, but that was about it.

Would have been a good reason to fall off my barstool, though...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Glad to hear everybody's fine. Ken's right, Chris: The only more exciting place to be during an earthquake is a bar where they have all the glasses stacked up.

We've been posting constant updates on our website about the quake (it's now officially a 5.8 ), and it looks at this point like it rattled a lot of nerves but didn't cause serious injury or damage.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Mark B wrote:Glad to hear everybody's fine. Ken's right, Chris: The only more exciting place to be during an earthquake is a bar where they have all the glasses stacked up.

We've been posting constant updates on our website about the quake (it's now officially a 5.8 ), and it looks at this point like it rattled a lot of nerves but didn't cause serious injury or damage.

I beg to differ.

Earthquake  Enhanced-buzz-21657-1314125704-21
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:30 pm

healdgator wrote:
Mark B wrote:Glad to hear everybody's fine. Ken's right, Chris: The only more exciting place to be during an earthquake is a bar where they have all the glasses stacked up.

I beg to differ.

I stand corrected. I hope your earthquake insurance was paid up.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Just imagine if somebody tries to clean up that mess. They could injure their back or something.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:I felt this in Mass. Our building started shaking. A presentation screen started waving around. In the past few months we've had some tornados, a big hail storm, and now feeling an earthquake. All we're missing is the hurricane which we still have plenty of time to get.

I saw part of that movie, ridiculous!!No What happened to the Mayans? Their world already ended long time ago! Our World may be ending soon Earthquake  4209083858 and right in the middle of a training cycle!study < That's the Bible, pouring over it!! Says NO one knows the date or time 'cept Dad, so be ready always!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:52 pm

You dropped to the ground and started drinking as much of the spilled wine as possible, didn't you?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:42 pm

healdgator wrote:

I beg to differ.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Simply. Awesome! lol! lol!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:43 pm

fostever wrote: Says NO one knows the date or time 'cept Dad, so be ready always!

Approval
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Dave-O wrote:

You dropped to the ground and started drinking as much of the spilled wine as possible, didn't you?

It just struck me. He saw this, and DIDN'T TAKE A PHOTO? Egad, man! Were you too busy looking for a straw? pirat
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Mark B wrote:
Dave-O wrote:

It just struck me. He saw this, and DIDN'T TAKE A PHOTO? Egad, man! Were you too busy looking for a straw? pirat

Who needs a straw??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 am

Nick Morris wrote:

They just didn't run out of rock to write on

Earthquake  4209083858
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 am

Mark B wrote:
Dave-O wrote:

Didn't take a photo and didn't take a bunch of wine! I regretted both moves after being out of there.

Truthfully, I had no idea what was happening. I don't have experience with earthquakes so my initial thought was it was something specific to that building or even that wall where all the wine was. I thought a generator had blown up or a truck crashed into the wall. Obviously that makes no sense since it went on for like 10 seconds but "earthquake" is just not something that pops into mind around here. It was pretty wild with the bottles exploding. A few were champagne so they are under pressure and shooting glass and cork around. It wasn't super crowded in there at that time of day but its still kind of surprising and lucky nobody got hit with glass. I really did manage to be in the craziest place for an earthquake at that exact moment - in the middle of a wine section in a supermarket! I had gone to the running store next door BEFORE going into TJ's. Had I reversed the visits and been in PotomacRunning when it hit, I would have had the much less exciting experience of some wicking shirts moving around on their hangers.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum