Welcome to the I-Team (formerly 365Runners)
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the I-Team (formerly 365Runners)
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
Welcome to the I-Team (formerly 365Runners)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hood to Coast, 365 style?

+12
Michele "1L" Keane
Gobbles
Jeff F
gvey
Nick Morris
Mike MacLellan
Glenn
Dave-O
Jack_Scaff
Joel H
T Miller
Mark B
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am

Jack_Scaff wrote:What does possibly interested mean? I've had girls possibly interested in me, and that didn't end well.

No, no, no Jack. This isn't "interested" that sort of hypothetical, what if, alternate universe, last guy on earth sort of way.

It just means they'd like to participate but can't say "Boy, howdy! Sign me up!" quite yet.

Jack_Scaff wrote:And I assume you need to rent 2 vans, one is on and the other is off depending on who is running?

Yes, two vans. They have a fairly elaborate system of alternating run legs. If I understand it correctly, Van #1 starts at Mt. Hood and continues until all its runners have done their first leg. Then Van #2 starts, and Van #1 goes off to get some rest. Then, six runners later, Van #1 goes back in service, etc. Each runner goes three legs total.

I'm not positive if each van needs its own separate driver, of if the runners can trade off driving duties (do you know, Michele?). I do know, however, that we'd need to supply at least three race volunteers. The volunteers would need to be 18 or over and able to work a 4- to 5-hour shift. Jobs range from calling out race numbers of incoming participants, to directing traffic in the parking areas, to helping put up signs, according to the HtC website. Also, it notes: Absolutely no young children, dogs, headphones or alcohol are allowed.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8153
Points : 19992
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:25 am

Okay, here's another crack at a list - at the moment, we'd have just enough for a team if all the "maybe" folks became definitely!


Definitely Yes
Mark
Glenn
Jack
Gene
Jeff
Mike

Maybe Yes
Tim (and Wendy?)
Joel
Gobbles
Nick
Michele

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8153
Points : 19992
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:50 pm

I will try and find a volunteer if this happens, too.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3191
Points : 10171
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 37
Location : Arlington, VA

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  ChasMcG Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Looks like fun but I'm too slow Sad I'll cheer from afar!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Posts : 478
Points : 5281
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 48
Location : Colorado

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  mountandog Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:06 pm

If you're serious I think I can drum up to 7 people. Me, my son, my daughter, my brother, my two sisters and my best running buddy. Could probably get anywhere from 3 to all 7 of them depending upon the need. We have already talked about doing this race and were trying to figure out how to get the other 5 or 6. So possibly we could field two teams!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7990
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 67
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:05 pm

I could possibly get 2 other runners, as well. Neither would be extremely speedy, but I think we're doing this more for fun, right?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3191
Points : 10171
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 37
Location : Arlington, VA

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Hm! Nice to see there's still some interest.

When we get closer to the application day, I'll check again. Whoever signs up needs to be able to put their money where their mouth is - you have to send a check for $1,200+ with your application. (It gets refunded if you aren't selected.) We'll also need to secure vans (2) and drivers, and three volunteers for ritual sacrifice, er, service to the Hood to Coast effort.

Fair warning: There's a decent chance that if we do make a bid for a team, we quite possibly won't be selected. It's tough to get in on your first try anyway, and they'll be cutting the number of teams down next year because of problems they had with traffic jams along the course. There were places where the runners were going faster than the vans. Suspect
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8153
Points : 19992
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:35 am

Mark B wrote:Hm! Nice to see there's still some interest.

When we get closer to the application day, I'll check again. Whoever signs up needs to be able to put their money where their mouth is - you have to send a check for $1,200+ with your application. (It gets refunded if you aren't selected.) We'll also need to secure vans (2) and drivers, and three volunteers for ritual sacrifice, er, service to the Hood to Coast effort.

Fair warning: There's a decent chance that if we do make a bid for a team, we quite possibly won't be selected. It's tough to get in on your first try anyway, and they'll be cutting the number of teams down next year because of problems they had with traffic jams along the course. There were places where the runners were going faster than the vans. Suspect

How mny teams participate??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 14363
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 43
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:31 am

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hm! Nice to see there's still some interest.

When we get closer to the application day, I'll check again. Whoever signs up needs to be able to put their money where their mouth is - you have to send a check for $1,200+ with your application. (It gets refunded if you aren't selected.) We'll also need to secure vans (2) and drivers, and three volunteers for ritual sacrifice, er, service to the Hood to Coast effort.

Fair warning: There's a decent chance that if we do make a bid for a team, we quite possibly won't be selected. It's tough to get in on your first try anyway, and they'll be cutting the number of teams down next year because of problems they had with traffic jams along the course. There were places where the runners were going faster than the vans. Suspect

How mny teams participate??

1,250 teams this past year, or 15,000 runners.

I think it used to be 1,000 teams, but they allowed 250 more teams this year. That turned out to be a bad idea, so I'm guessing they'll be back at 1,000 teams again next year.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8153
Points : 19992
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  mountandog Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:14 pm

If I remember correctly, teams that are from a certain distance away do not have to volunteer their service. It's worth double checking, because the team captain furthest away could register.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7990
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 67
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:52 pm

mountandog wrote:If I remember correctly, teams that are from a certain distance away do not have to volunteer their service. It's worth double checking, because the team captain furthest away could register.

Nice try, but the rules say that if ANY member of the team comes from the local area, they have to cough up volunteers.

It's probably not that big a deal, I suspect. A few people would likely be accompanied by bored non-running spouses who probably wouldn't mind spending four hours volunteering while their S.O. beats themselves to a pulp over 28 hours. We could probably recruit 3 volunteers and 2 van drivers out of that bunch.

Here is a newspaper article talking about the horror show this past event was, thanks to too many runners and vans.


Last edited by Mark B on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8153
Points : 19992
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Mark B wrote:
mountandog wrote:If I remember correctly, teams that are from a certain distance away do not have to volunteer their service. It's worth double checking, because the team captain furthest away could register.

Nice try, but the rules say that if ANY member of the team comes from the local area, they have to cough up volunteers.

It's probably not that big a deal, I suspect. A few people would likely be accompanied by bored non-running spouses who probably wouldn't mind spending four hours volunteering while their S.O. beats themselves to a pulp over 28 hours. We could probably recruit 3 volunteers and 2 van drivers out of that bunch.



Van drivers, huh? We drove ourselves around at Ragnar...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 14363
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 43
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:00 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
mountandog wrote:If I remember correctly, teams that are from a certain distance away do not have to volunteer their service. It's worth double checking, because the team captain furthest away could register.

Nice try, but the rules say that if ANY member of the team comes from the local area, they have to cough up volunteers.

It's probably not that big a deal, I suspect. A few people would likely be accompanied by bored non-running spouses who probably wouldn't mind spending four hours volunteering while their S.O. beats themselves to a pulp over 28 hours. We could probably recruit 3 volunteers and 2 van drivers out of that bunch.



Van drivers, huh? We drove ourselves around at Ragnar...

Hm. You know what, Nick? I just quickly looked at the rules, and I didn't see a specific requirement that a non-runner drive the van. I'll look again, but that would reduce the impact on our loved ones by... uh... two fifths! Thanks for bringing up that point.

(Edit to add: Just looked again, and I still couldn't find any specific rule that said teams needed drivers who aren't runners. Cool.)

BTW, here is a link to the H2C's volunteers page.


Last edited by Mark B on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8153
Points : 19992
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  mountandog Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
mountandog wrote:If I remember correctly, teams that are from a certain distance away do not have to volunteer their service. It's worth double checking, because the team captain furthest away could register.

Nice try, but the rules say that if ANY member of the team comes from the local area, they have to cough up volunteers.

It's probably not that big a deal, I suspect. A few people would likely be accompanied by bored non-running spouses who probably wouldn't mind spending four hours volunteering while their S.O. beats themselves to a pulp over 28 hours. We could probably recruit 3 volunteers and 2 van drivers out of that bunch.



Van drivers, huh? We drove ourselves around at Ragnar...

I agree. Who wants our spouses around anyway? Thought this was supposed to be fun!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7990
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 67
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  mountandog Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Hey Mark == coming to Seattle, WA and Victoria/Vancouver BC in mid Sept
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7990
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 67
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  mountandog Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 pm

anything happening on this. deadline is tomorrow for application.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7990
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 67
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Doesn't look like it, which is probably for the best. They had such a huge problem with crowding this year, with massive traffic jams, so the word is they're going to cut back on the number of teams this year. It would have been very unlikely for us as a first-time team to have made it in even without race organizers scaling it back.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8153
Points : 19992
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  mountandog Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:40 am

Is there any kind of system like New York or St. George, that if you apply, are rejected, you move up on the probability list in future years? After so many tries, 3 yrs, 4yrs, whatever, are you automatically in? Or do you just go back into the pot along with everyone else?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7990
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 67
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:48 am

mountandog wrote:Is there any kind of system like New York or St. George, that if you apply, are rejected, you move up on the probability list in future years? After so many tries, 3 yrs, 4yrs, whatever, are you automatically in? Or do you just go back into the pot along with everyone else?

I think your chances improve, but I don't think it's ever an automatic "in."
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8153
Points : 19992
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Ed Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:55 pm

I would next year....
Ed
Ed
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 24
Points : 4771
Join date : 2011-07-28
Age : 63
Location : Seattle

Back to top Go down

Hood to Coast, 365 style? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hood to Coast, 365 style?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum