365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toe Trouble

+12
Jerry
dot520
Kevin L
ChasMcG
JohnP
Nick Morris
Jim Lentz
jon c
Mike MacLellan
Kenny B.
GregC
Stephanie
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Toe Trouble Empty Toe Trouble

Post  Stephanie Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm

I have been running in Saucony Kinvaras for the last 4 months. I have come back from a long layoff from running so my mileage isn't where most of yours is at. After my last 8 miler last week (longest run since my 'comeback'), my toes have been quite angry - the side of my right toe hurt so badly that I didn't want to put a sock on that foot. By the next morning things had improved a bit but it was clear there was a pretty decent blister that had formed under the callous I already had on the side of my big toe. I have also been getting blisters between my big toe and 2nd toe so I switched to a thinner, lighter sock which has helped the blistering problem a bit.

Yesterday I went to my local running store to get their opinion on the fit of the Kinvara because I am wondering if this shoe is fitting me properly. My right foot is a bit larger than the left and the owner of the store said my current size for that foot may be just a tad too small. I now have the Kinvara 2's in a half size larger. I ran 5 miles in them last night and my toes aren't as angry but there wasn't a huge increase in comfort. I think my feet are still tender from last week.

The owner also indicated that I definitely have a strong 'toe-off' (push-off) using my first 2 toes, like he does, and he too has quite the callous on the sides of each toe. One of mine is worse than the other though. Is this just something my feet need to build up tolerance to and soon I'll have good calluses and this will not be uncomfortable? Do runners just have ugly, calloused feet? Or could this difference in my toes be indicative of a muscle imbalance that is causing me to toe-off more with my right foot?

I'd love your thoughts on what I am experiencing. I've also attached pictures below. Sorry... my feet are gross... pedicure tonight (and I never let the pedicurist work on my callouses... I have a use for them). Smile

Toe Trouble P1040713

Toe Trouble P1040716
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Toe Trouble Empty Re: Toe Trouble

Post  GregC Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:57 pm

What were you wearing prior to the Kinvaras? Those shoes do have a lower heel lift so it's going to force you up on your toes a little more, which could put more pressure on that area of your foot with every toe-off.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:02 pm

GregC wrote:What were you wearing prior to the Kinvaras? Those shoes do have a lower heel lift so it's going to force you up on your toes a little more, which could put more pressure on that area of your foot with every toe-off.
I was in Nike Frees over the winter as I rehabbed on the treadmill. Getting into a low heel was the only thing that relived the pressure on my shins. I did A LOT of walking and slowly added running over the long, cold winter. Prior to that I was in Saucony Triumphs. Originally I had to build up the sides of my toes a bit in those shoes, but never had blisters under the callous before.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:31 pm

My feeling is your feet should look and feel beautiful. id take the advice of a sports podiatrist over a running store. my feet look the same as they did the day I started running. Soft supple and beautiful. At least I think so. Lol

Blisters are not uncommon but they should not be often and largely due to wet feet or too much movement in shoe. Callouses not uncommon and may even hurt a bit as they form which maybe what your experiencing but it should be short lived and if too hard i'd question it or at leat moisturize that sucker..

Triumphs are fairly wide shoe so your current shoe might be squeezing toes a bit to clise for comfort. Give those piggies a little breathing room. They'll thank you in spades.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:13 pm

The same toe for me used to look like that, too. After the initial puffiness, it formed a blood blister that was pretty sensitive to pressure. Eventually just got desensitized and felt better as the swelling went down. I still get blisters at least weekly and blood blisters once or twice a month, but they don't hurt anymore, so I usually just leave them be.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Once I switched to moisture wicking socks, it solved almost all blister issues for me. The only ones I've gotten since then were due to too small shoes or racing with a lot of hills and bumps and those were generally behind the toenails, not under callouses or between toes.

Hope you can find a solution that works for you.Smile
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Ouch!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:44 pm

It may sound weird, but put some BodyGlide or Sport Shield on and between your toes. It will act as a lubricating buffer and should cut down on some of those blisters.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Ditto on Nick's post. I put BodyGlide on every toe and across the top to help avoid blisters. Sometimes in this weather, it can be worse as the shoes get more wet from sweat.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Ouch girl. I would try Body Glide. I would hate for that dry area to crack. OUCH! The BG will help with that too just like chapstick on dry lips. Cracks are the worst and so hard to heal.
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks everyone for your input and for not kicking me out of the group for my ugly toe. Embarassed

Sounds like I will give body glide a serious try. Maybe I've been underestimating the effectiveness of this product. But doesn't it just get absorbed into the sock? Does anyone think this is screaming the wrong shoe for me? I really do love the Kinvaras, now if only I could heal this ouchie. The BG is all ready for tomorrow morning.

P.S. I now have prettier toes... got a pedicure tonight. Don't worry I won't post pix... those were enough feet pix for one day. Razz

Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:37 am

I mixed in the Kinvara 2 in my rotation recently - and it feels pretty narrow to a point it's comparable to some racing flats. I have wide feet; and I like wide shoes in which my toes can splay and spread freely. The Kinvara 2 is almost my go-to shoe if it weren't for the narrow toebox. I hope they'll address this in the next version; because people have already complained about it for Kinvara 1.

Try to moisturize the big toe callus over night with lotion, or use vaseline to keep it nice and well lubricated. Both of my big toes have thick callus in the same spot. But I've had them for years - and they haven't gotten better or worse.

As for the blister between the toes, Body Glide should help alleviating blisters a bit - however results may vary. Well, every runner should have a stick of Body Glide just in case anyway. Use thin and/or double layered socks; or perhaps try the toe socks. But it seems like the shoes are just too narrow for you. Maybe after the upper deteriorates a bit it'll loosen up. Now for the time being, nothing the good o' duct tape won't fix.
Toe Trouble Tape-toes
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:35 am

Kevin: That is an awesome pic!!! LOL
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:42 am

dot520 wrote:Kevin: That is an awesome pic!!! LOL

I can do without the picture. Someone needs a foot makeover. What are you guys doing to your feet.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:26 am

Hope this reminds why not to go ultra or barefoot. scratch
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:15 am

Holy. Shit.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32 am

Wow!! What a horrible pair of feet.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:40 am

You guys... It's just some dirt on a pair of normal feet.
Kevin L
Kevin L

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:30 pm

Kevin L wrote:You guys... It's just some dirt on a pair of normal feet.

I like the red nail polish Kevin! Nice touch!
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Well now I know I'm a pussy. Embarassed My feet do not look like that! I have a black nail from softball that is looking funny with my French but no duct tape! Whew!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:30 pm

And duct tape really is used for everything. Wink
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:53 pm

For the record - those are NOT my feet. And I was being serious about duct tape - it works!
Kevin L
Kevin L

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Oh, that's nail polish? I thought it was blood. I retract my awe.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Oh, that's nail polish? I thought it was blood. I retract my awe.

You'd think a guy who's worn makeup would have caught that! lol!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Steph, All the banter is well and good. But it's just that. Banter. Only Kevin L said it. Good for him. But it got buried in the banter. So it needs to be said clear. Vaseline works just as well as Body Glide and Aquaphor for lubricating the hot spots. And we all need to use something like it for races and long runs. But kripes:

These shoes are too narrow for you. Snap out of it!
I wear Asics because the toe box is wide. And my toes need to splay. I've tried two other brands over the years: Reebok and Nike as I recall. In each, the toebox was too narrow or low. My piggies need room to breathe. I stuck with the Reeboks until they were done and my feet never forgave me. I have callouses from that calloused decision to this day. You're getting callouses and blisters because ...

These shoes are screaming that they're not right for you.
Chuck em and go back to something that works.

You're welcome.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next