365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III)

+27
Peg Coover
Mrs. Schuey
Alex Kubacki
jon c
Dave P
Jim Lentz
Julie
Penelope
JohnP
mul21
Liz R
Randy E
Paula Sue
KathyK
John Kilpatrick
Dave Bussard
Gobbles
Dave Wolfe
dot520
Kenny B.
Schuey
Matt W
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Dave-O
Natalie
Michele "1L" Keane
31 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III) - Page 3 Empty Re: Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III)

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Michele great write up on your race and what a great race that sounds like. Even though I might be going more towards the Ultra races, I still think I have to put this on my list to do. Also I just wanted to say what a great runner you are and I hope that I'm able to do the same things you are doing as I continue to get older. You are such a stud and inspiration.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III) - Page 3 Empty Re: Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III)

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks, all!

Surprised how well I seem to have recovered from Sunday's race, and I was even able to run my first speedworkout in over a month yesterday (6 x 800m with 200 m rest at 3:38 -> 3:28). I realize after running on the local track here how spoiled I am in GA with the beautiful tracks that we have at all of the local high schools - public and private. The track at the school here was newer, but it really didn't have the "spring" that the tracks I run on at home have. Even the tracks at the high schools in Cleveland where I used to and will soon run again were beautiful and springy. Despite a strong headwind (which did not feel at all like a tailwind in the other direction) and the fire-hose across the lanes, the repeats were pretty strong and the glute/hammie felt pretty good. I noticed it some afterwards, but with some "re" hydration, it was better by days end.

The weather this morning was absolutely beautiful here, 58F with low humidity, and our 6 mile run was very effortless. I'm sad to see that by Sunday morning, we will once again have temps in the low 70s and high humidity and dew points once again. So much for being able to run a good pace at this weekend's half. I guess I'll revert to my summer race plan that I've used at this race before which is to strictly go out at LSD pace and hopefully bring it down to MP and faster by race end. It will truly depend on the humidity and whether or not the sun comes out early. The Presque Isle course is pretty shaded for the most part and the last 1.5 miles is in the shade on a bike path, but I need to stay safe. Two or three years ago, it was 75F at the start and my first couple of miles were in the 9:30 range, it worked well for me as I passed a lot of racers in the last 5 miles.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Solid track workout. I hear you on the springy tracks. I run on a pretty much asphalt track that quite frankly sucks but when living in Jackson NJ I went to the HS and their track was rubber which was tremendous difference.

As far as your race I think your plan makes sense for the summer it is smart racing IMO and in the end when passing lots of runners you will at least get the benefit of feeling well can I say like a winner. This is not fast time or PR weather (although today was).
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:18 pm

I had a chuckle when I read about you missing the HS tracks down in Georgia. I was at several high schools (Marietta HS and one other nearby, forgot the name) over the past few days. The athletic facilities (baseball fields, mini-football stadiums, tracks, are all unbelievable. Of the two baseball fields that I was at, I can safely say that of the 50 or so high schools that our newspaper covers, there's not one that comes anywhere close to what I saw down there. I only hope they devote as much resources to academics as they do to athletics!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:I had a chuckle when I read about you missing the HS tracks down in Georgia. I was at several high schools (Marietta HS and one other nearby, forgot the name) over the past few days. The athletic facilities (baseball fields, mini-football stadiums, tracks, are all unbelievable. Of the two baseball fields that I was at, I can safely say that of the 50 or so high schools that our newspaper covers, there's not one that comes anywhere close to what I saw down there. I only hope they devote as much resources to academics as they do to athletics!

That last sentence was a joke, right? The City of Atlanta is where the teachers were caught erasing and changing the answers to the State required End of Year tests so that the school didn't get failing grades. In essence, kids graduated or were promoted that actually flunked out.

With the exception of the city, most of the suburban school systems are decent, but overcrowding is prevalent as is complacency. It is a sad commentary that I feel privileged to be able to send my daughter to a private school. That is not really what I wanted from our public education system.

On a different subject, my daughter wants to study computer science and animation. She did this, and I think it is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODnCC8Osvkc&feature=relmfu
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:I had a chuckle when I read about you missing the HS tracks down in Georgia. I was at several high schools (Marietta HS and one other nearby, forgot the name) over the past few days. The athletic facilities (baseball fields, mini-football stadiums, tracks, are all unbelievable. Of the two baseball fields that I was at, I can safely say that of the 50 or so high schools that our newspaper covers, there's not one that comes anywhere close to what I saw down there. I only hope they devote as much resources to academics as they do to athletics!

That last sentence was a joke, right? The City of Atlanta is where the teachers were caught erasing and changing the answers to the State required End of Year tests so that the school didn't get failing grades. In essence, kids graduated or were promoted that actually flunked out.

With the exception of the city, most of the suburban school systems are decent, but overcrowding is prevalent as is complacency. It is a sad commentary that I feel privileged to be able to send my daughter to a private school. That is not really what I wanted from our public education system.

On a different subject, my daughter wants to study computer science and animation. She did this, and I think it is pretty cool.

It's unbelievable the amount of money spent on those world class HS athletic facilities with academics taking such a back seat. I don't how much school taxes folks are paying down there, but I certainly understand sending your daughter to private school if the priorities really are that backwards.

I agree, her video was very cool!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:That last sentence was a joke, right? The City of Atlanta is where the teachers were caught erasing and changing the answers to the State required End of Year tests so that the school didn't get failing grades. In essence, kids graduated or were promoted that actually flunked out.

+1 on the bummer about Georgia education. Albany graduation rate hovers at about 50%. So sad.

Cool vid by your daughter. Crazy how kids can do stuff like that and I feel lucky to just be able to use this website!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:46 am

In case anyone tells you that the Boilermaker weather was "cool" this year, you can see that it warmed up pretty quickly by how drenched I am. (I did pour water over my head a couple of times, but I had to put my glasses on my head as they kept fogging).
At least my daughter told me that I looked strong here.

Revels of Peach Keane (Redux Part III) - Page 3 Boiler11

I'm running a half marathon in Erie, PA tomorrow morning, but with the expected warm temps, I'm certain this will not be a race, but simply a good effort long run. Start slow and see where it goes. Since I have my 365 Competitors singlet, I'll be wearing it for the first time.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Love the picture Michele, I would have to agree with your daughter I think you look really strong in that picture.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:18 pm

That's about how I looked at the end of my run today.

Good luck in the race tomorrow, the strategy of starting a bit slower and picking it up as you go is probably a darn good idea as nasty as it's supposed to be.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:In case anyone tells you that the Boilermaker weather was "cool" this year, you can see that it warmed up pretty quickly by how drenched I am. (I did pour water over my head a couple of times, but I had to put my glasses on my head as they kept fogging).
At least my daughter told me that I looked strong here.

I'm running a half marathon in Erie, PA tomorrow morning, but with the expected warm temps, I'm certain this will not be a race, but simply a good effort long run. Start slow and see where it goes. Since I have my 365 Competitors singlet, I'll be wearing it for the first time.

Awesome picture - you look like you're focused and ready eat nails! Good luck tomorrow.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:45 pm

congrats on the half - 3rd Masters? For a "training run"? Holy cow...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Great racing and running this week, Michele! Your quads look really awesome in that picture, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:14 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:congrats on the half - 3rd Masters? For a "training run"? Holy cow...

Well, there are some advantages to living in Georgia, John - we need to learn how to run and race in the heat and humidity. It was 75F at the start of the race and well into the 80s at the finish. There is a picnic after the race (with beer of course), and it was 96F when I go back to my car. I didn't wear a watch, and I went by feel, but where the miles were straight under the sun (8-10), I made sure to walk through the water stops like a marathon to make sure to get my water in.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Great picture and congrats on the half!

Ok... I don't know who the band in your daughter's video is, but the comments are hilarious!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:50 am

You look super tough.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Nice job in the half! That's a darn good time, especially in soupy weather like that. Is the "dead-butt" calmed down? I seem to have less problems with that area when I'm racing more. It seems like less running makes it worse.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Michele, your upper body looks pretty tense in the picture. I've noticed that in races, even when I feel I am running smoothly, pictures show tensed up muscles. I guess they know they are needed and are ready at any given moment. Your arm gait looks good though, not high at all.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 pm

JohnP wrote:Michele, your upper body looks pretty tense in the picture. I've noticed that in races, even when I feel I am running smoothly, pictures show tensed up muscles. I guess they know they are needed and are ready at any given moment. Your arm gait looks good though, not high at all.

I agree that I look pretty tense, but I'm blaming it on the fact that the photo was taken during the final 1/2 mile of the race. I do try to work on staying relaxed constantly, though.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:19 pm

I like that race pic!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Great photo Michele! Pure gristle!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Trying to keep up with everyone's blogs including mine is pretty tough. We had a couple of days here without power and living in the temps in the high 80s/low 90s is not that fun. It did take me back to my childhood though as we did not have A/C growing up, so you did learn to live with it sometimes. It seems to be raining everywhere but here, and we could really use it. Temps have been hovering in the mid-high 80s with humidity in the same range and dew points well above 7oF, so it has been miserable running weather. I did get in my longish run on Friday morning, but I did cut it short to only 13 from the hoped for 15. When I ran out of water and was done by the lake, I quit, got more water, waded in, and then walked home. I ended up riding 32 miles today instead of my scheduled 8 miler, but it is hilly around here, and I know I got a good workout complete with climbs and downhills. We did stop for coffee (iced in my case) with three miles to go to home, and I couldn't even sit down inside the cafe because I was dripping wet with sweat.

To answer Jim's earlier question, my "dead butt" feels a lot better - partly stretching, partly cycling, partly all the walking you do around here, partly hydration, and partly just what seems to happen every time it flares up. I ended up not running a ton of miles this week and just went into recovery mode with a couple of good rides, and I'm feeling very good. I've got a local 2.7 mile race next weekend, then an 8K XC race on the 6th, and a small mini-tri on the 14th. I'll also be picking up the long runs as well - if only we would get some cooler weather!

Recap of the week:

Mon - Easy 2.5 miles recovery
Tues - Easy 5 miles with striders; core work
Wed - 5 miles with 8 x 1:45 on/1 min off
Thurs - 21 miles cycling, 3 easy miles with a friend. Then we lost power, so I couldn't swim.
Fri - 13 miles in the disgusting heat and humidity, Drank 24 oz of cytomax and still lost 2 lbs. I was drenched before I hit the lake.
Sat - 6 miles easy
Sun - 32 mile ride

Totals for the week: 34.5 miles running (step back and recovery); 53 miles cycling
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Glad to hear the "stuff" is coming back. I don't know if its dead butt or what, but there are times I really struggle through workouts and times when they just sort of happen. A/C fixed I assume - sounds interesting to have to sleep outside. I am hooked on A/C - I've lived without it too, but it sure is nice! That is a strong step-back week. What are the distances in your mini tri?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:01 pm

I love that you went IN the lake! Now there's a great way to cool off.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:12 pm

I've lived without a/c too. I remember walking to a nearby park to be in the shade because it was cooler than my upstairs apt. It had a/c but I was trying to save money (since I had none anyway).

Nice long run. I've been doing the same thing. Eating and drinking tons and still losing 2-3 lbs every long run. of course it comes back really easily.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next