365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speaking of beers...

+4
charles
Dave-O
Seth Harrison
Diego
8 posters

Go down

Speaking of beers... Empty Speaking of beers...

Post  Diego Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Our friends just did an overnight in Portland(ME) and returned from a beer place that has 12 pages of world listings. Have any of you tried the 120 minute Dogfish Head IPA or other similar beers that have 18% alcohol content and cost $20? One of the Belgian brews cost $28 and had similar alcohol content

Diego
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Speaking of beers... Empty Re: Speaking of beers...

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:48 pm

jimd wrote:Our friends just did an overnight in Portland(ME) and returned from a beer place that has 12 pages of world listings. Have any of you tried the 120 minute Dogfish Head IPA or other similar beers that have 18% alcohol content and cost $20? One of the Belgian brews cost $28 and had similar alcohol content

Diego

18% alcohol content huh...one beer and I'm on my ass.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:11 pm

I've had the 120 Minute Dogfish Head. Frankly, it was quite gross...and I love the 90 Minute. The 120 is just overwhelming.

That being said, I had 1 and had a solid buzz going on. It's an efficient way to drink, that's for sure.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm

I've had 120 as well . . . solid as I remember it. Those higher alcohol beers have a real strong alcohol presence in their aroma. They are not meant to sit down with and drink three or four. They are the equivalent of port wine. They are after dinner drinks and after you have had a few other beers - something to work yourself up to. Probably best split amongst friends.
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:41 pm

Yes, Jim, I have enjoyed the continually hopped for 120 minutes elixir from Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware on several occasions. That goes without saying ... simply notice my location. I am a hop-head and Dogfish Head devotee.

The 60 minute IPA is their starter brew. It's a good place to start for those with a wide-ranging beer palate or have otherwise not developed a keen appreciation for the edgier (highly hopped) side of the spectrum. It's a fine beer that will please most, yet satisfy those who cant toward bitters.

The 90 minute IPA is a solid bitters. It's my favorite go-to brew for special occasions and sporting events.

The 120 minute IPA is an extreme bitters with a noticeable bite. It's good by itself. Consuming it with food or even with salty snacks takes away from the pure experience that this special bitters offers. Definitely not a beer to quaff.

Dogfish Head comes out with limited editions of special recipes from time to time, such as Midas Touch. Next time you're near Delaware, a visit to the Dogfish Head brewpub comes highly recommended!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Still trying to find my first 120 Minute - love the 90 Minute (and am drinking a Founder's Brewry Dirty Bastard on the train as I type - very good!).

I heard that the Binny's on Grand Avenue in Chicago only got four bottles of the 120 Minute from the latest shipment - I have feelers out at a number of local liquor stores that handle Dogfish Head, but I think it will be a while before I see one. drunken
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:52 pm

If you don't mind my asking, what do the minutes represent with each beer?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewally and farnk Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Nick Morris wrote:If you don't mind my asking, what do the minutes represent with each beer?

Nick, When you make beer hops are added during the boil to add "flavor" to beer. Depending on when you add them you will get different flavors in your finished product.
Here is this:
For bittering, hops are added before the last 30 minutes of
the boil to offset the sweetness of the malt.

For flavor, hops are added before the last 15 minutes of the
boil to get the flavor of the hops into the beer.

For aroma, hops are added in the final 15 minutes of the boil.

And then there is dry hopping where the hops are put in
after fermentation has started, in the secondary, or in the
keg. This adds more flavor and aroma to the beer. But you
may find the beer has a grassy taste.

Dogfish has a 60, 90 and 120. They add hops every minute for, YEP you guessed it every 60, 90 and 120 minutes during the brew process.

I LOVE the 120 but I cant ever remember drinking a whole bottle myself. It is to be shared!
littlewally and farnk
littlewally and farnk

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:30 pm

littlewally and farnk wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:If you don't mind my asking, what do the minutes represent with each beer?

Nick, When you make beer hops are added during the boil to add "flavor" to beer. Depending on when you add them you will get different flavors in your finished product.
Here is this:
For bittering, hops are added before the last 30 minutes of
the boil to offset the sweetness of the malt.

For flavor, hops are added before the last 15 minutes of the
boil to get the flavor of the hops into the beer.

For aroma, hops are added in the final 15 minutes of the boil.

And then there is dry hopping where the hops are put in
after fermentation has started, in the secondary, or in the
keg. This adds more flavor and aroma to the beer. But you
may find the beer has a grassy taste.

Dogfish has a 60, 90 and 120. They add hops every minute for, YEP you guessed it every 60, 90 and 120 minutes during the brew process.

I LOVE the 120 but I cant ever remember drinking a whole bottle myself. It is to be shared!

That makes sense...Thanks!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 am

I guess it's a good thing they don't have a 240 minute IPA. clown

Hmm, I wonder if I can convince them to brew a 120 minute IBA. I see that they have at least 10 different kinds of microbrews.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down