365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

5 posters

Page 4 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 4 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B Fri May 24, 2019 9:05 am

ounce wrote:A political dynasty in the making!

Mark - How about you and I have a weight loss challenge.  I wager $1,000 in Monopoly money and Marvin Gardens with 3 hotels on it that I can lose a higher percentage of weight between now and July 4th.

I do better on losing weight, when there's a competition.

Hm... that's quite a wager. Sure. Why not? What's the starting point, today?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 24, 2019 9:31 am

Mark B wrote:

Mark - How about you and I have a weight loss challenge.  I wager $1,000 in Monopoly money and Marvin Gardens with 3 hotels on it that I can lose a higher percentage of weight between now and July 4th.

That's fine.  Or you can include what you've already lost.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 25, 2019 2:19 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Hm. Okay, I feel weird starting with my original weight, since I was too chicken to weigh myself until I noticed a change, but I'll start it at that point. (196) I haven't weighed myself in a couple of days, since I've been bouncing between 188 and 190 and getting a little discouraged.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Hm. Okay, I feel weird starting with my original weight, since I was too chicken to weigh myself until I noticed a change, but I'll start it at that point. (196) I haven't weighed myself in a couple of days, since I've been bouncing between 188 and 190 and getting a little discouraged.
Don't fret.  I'm at 235.  In the 5 or 6 week period, I can do a 5 day fast twice.  I can't do longer than a 5 day fast.  So, don't think that I can do a 5 week fast.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 28, 2019 9:39 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Don't fret.  I'm at 235.  In the 5 or 6 week period, I can do a 5 day fast twice.  I can't do longer than a 5 day fast.  So, don't think that I can do a 5 week fast.
Sounds like a fun little wager.  Laughing   I'm like Doug...I always do better when there's a friendly competition...or a goal event...to keep me motivated.  Good luck to both of you!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 28, 2019 10:02 am

I'm a little afraid to check my weight after our empty nester bacchanal, so I'll check later.

Do you want to do a weekly weigh-in? And if so, what day? Friday might work.

BTW, it was an empty nester bacchanal because Alec went on a three-night band trip to San Francisco over most of the Memorial Day weekend. So, Alita and I had dinner and cocktails on the river one night, went wine tasting the next day and then had brunch on the river the next day. It was nice. Not something we could do *every* time he's gone, but it was nice spending some quality time together. (Alec said he had a good time on his trip, too.)

Speaking of time...

T-minus 16 days and counting.

Getting closer!

Don't tell Alec, but he's in for a surprise when they give out the senior awards. He's getting one! His AP World History teacher from two years ago nominated him, and he was selected among his entire graduating class for a senior award for social studies. She said she couldn't imagine anyone more deserving. That was nice.

Also, Alec is trying to wrangle work-study for his time in college and is talking with a professor soon for WSU's Biocultural Anthropology Lab for a possible position in that research. He already had a converstion with a grad student in the program, so we're crossing our fingers. It'd be so cool for him to get experience in his field of interest starting in his freshman year -- AND get work-study money for it! Beats hosing out the stalls at the veterinary school...

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 29, 2019 5:20 pm

That award is beyond nifty.  He might even still have that award in 15 years, when he's 33 years old and thinking about going back for his 15th year reunion with his WIFE. And he'll be Dr. Bowder.  Let me know if you want to borrow my crystal ball.  Question

Get on your horse and drop those El-Beez.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 31, 2019 9:29 am

cheers cheers cheers

Alec wrapped up his four-year-long Science Math Technology magnet program yesterday, presenting a board on "The effect of solution molarity on percent change in mass" at the science fair at which he was required to participate. This means he'll graduate with a special distinction -- something he's been working on for four years. What. A. Relief. The attrition rate in that SMT program is HUGE. But he saw it through to the end. Woot! 

Next big thing is his final marching band event of high school: The Starlight Parade at the Portland Rose Festival on Saturday. Then a few activities the following week, followed by two days of finals, awards and ... gradation on the 13th.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:20 am

We did Alec's last high school parade on Saturday, and he's in the mode of finishing up his last projects before senior finals a week from Monday and Tuesday. It's close now. One interesting thing: One of his classes is wanting him to come up with actual costs of living independently, etc., after a couple of years. It's not quite true financial literacy, but at least it's a start.

T-Minus 10 and counting!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Mark B wrote:cheers cheers cheers

Alec wrapped up his four-year-long Science Math Technology magnet program yesterday, presenting a board on "The effect of solution molarity on percent change in mass" at the science fair at which he was required to participate. This means he'll graduate with a special distinction -- something he's been working on for four years. What. A. Relief. The attrition rate in that SMT program is HUGE. But he saw it through to the end. Woot! 

Next big thing is his final marching band event of high school: The Starlight Parade at the Portland Rose Festival on Saturday. Then a few activities the following week, followed by two days of finals, awards and ... gradation on the 13th.
That's quite a feat.  Was he able to use the potential finish of the SMT, when applying to colleges?  I will freely admit that I thought 'molarity' had something to do with molars.  I looked it up and know just as much about it now as I did before I read the word 'molarity.'

So, that deserves a double woot.  WOOT!  WOOT!!

Enjoy graduation and start a new countdown clock for when y'all dump him off at WSU.
Mark B wrote:We did Alec's last high school parade on Saturday, and he's in the mode of finishing up his last projects before senior finals a week from Monday and Tuesday. It's close now. One interesting thing: One of his classes is wanting him to come up with actual costs of living independently, etc., after a couple of years. It's not quite true financial literacy, but at least it's a start.

T-Minus 10 and counting!
He has to take finals?  He doesn't get to be exempt from finals for some reason?  So the 2 years actual living cost, is that when he's in Pullman?

Close to under 10 days, at this writing.  Schools here either were out before or after Memorial Day.  Guess that's due to our warmer climate.  On June 1, seasonal high is 90 or like the picture below.
Trails for Two - Page 4 9k=
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Oh, on Saturday, 6/1, I weighed 230, down from 235.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:55 am

ounce wrote:Oh, on Saturday, 6/1, I weighed 230, down from 235.

Grats! I've been rather naughty this week, so I've been chicken to look. I will before long, though.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:01 am

T-Minus 8 and counting!!

Ride

Starting to feel real now. 

Alec received notice two days ago that he's getting a scholarship from a fund for employees of my newspaper. I knew he was going to get it, but I didn't know how much. It turned out to be as good as I could have hoped for. Woot!

Yesterday, Alec had a teleconference with a professor that was essentially a job interview for him being a lab assistant in the biocultural anthropology lab at WSU. The conversation went very well. She's going to try to find money, either work study, grant funding - or maybe both? - that will help pay for him. He'd also have an opportunity to intern in the lab. She was very impressed that a freshman would seek out something like this. Woot! Woot! 

Next steps: He turns in his school iPad today. He has his last concert tomorrow. He has senior finals on Monday and Tuesday, then graduation rehearsals and senior assemblies and such on Wednesday and Thursday before the big event Thursday night. Woot! Woot! Woot!

This is all very exciting. So exciting that I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep, my mind was racing so much. wootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwoot bouncebouncebounce

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:02 pm

Mighty impressive job you and Alita have done.  I think Alec is going to make you proud for years to come...just don't dwell on those senioritis lapses.  It happens.  Apparently he's pulled through and finished strong.  Hope all three of you can enjoy these last few days.  Congratulations are definitely in order all around!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:39 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Oh, on Saturday, 6/1, I weighed 230, down from 235.

Grats! I've been rather naughty this week, so I've been chicken to look. I will before long, though.

Okay, just weighed myself.

188.8, down from 196.something. 

I also notice that my belt *almost* wants to be in the next tighter knotch.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:02 am

'Almost' is progress.

This morning, June 8, I was at 228 for a cumulative of -7.

This Monopoly competition is doing what I want it to do.  It's keeping me from eating little things that, ultimately, kicks in a craving and 'I'll make it up, tomorrow.'
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:05 pm

ounce wrote:'Almost' is progress.

This Monopoly competition is doing what I want it to do.  It's keeping me from eating little things that, ultimately, kicks in a craving and 'I'll make it up, tomorrow.'

So "almost" counts in horseshoes, hand grenades ... and belt sizes? Cool. 

This morning, June 8, I was 186.8 for a cumulative of ~ -10 from when I wasn't too chicken to weigh myself.

I'm glad this little competition is helping you. It's helping me, too. 

BTW, we're at T-Minus 5 Days and Counting. Alec had his last high school concert on Thursday, and they had the band banquet on Friday. He has some studying to do this weekend, finals on Monday and Tuesday, then rehearsals and assemblies on Wednesday and Thursday before the event Thursday night. It's getting close!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:'Almost' is progress.

So "almost" counts in horseshoes, hand grenades ... and belt sizes? Cool. 

This morning, June 8, I was 186.8 for a cumulative of ~ -10 from when I wasn't too chicken to weigh myself.

I'm glad this little competition is helping you. It's helping me, too. 

BTW, we're at T-Minus 5 Days and Counting. Alec had his last high school concert on Thursday, and they had the band banquet on Friday. He has some studying to do this weekend, finals on Monday and Tuesday, then rehearsals and assemblies on Wednesday and Thursday before the event Thursday night. It's getting close!
And atomic bombs...or hydrogen bombs.

I was wondering if you had any fingernails left?  No telling what's going to happen when he graduates from WSU or that very first grandbaby!  Maybe even the marriage, if the ceremony is even a 'thing' in the future.

OH!  Only 16 years, 8 months, and 20-odd days until the Texas bicentennial.
Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:13 am

It's getting close!  Who is most excited? Parents or student??

When we graduated we all went out and got into trouble and did things we weren't supposed to.  When our kids graduated the PTO committee organized a free party (drug and alcohol free) and tried to keep the kids out of trouble while allowing them to have an inclusive fun night with their classmates.  Madras is a pretty small school (<150) graduates.  Do they do something similar for the graduates at the bigger schools?  What about you and Alita...what are your celebratory plans?

Congrats to the three of you!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm

nkrichards wrote:It's getting close!  Who is most excited? Parents or student??

When we graduated we all went out and got into trouble and did things we weren't supposed to.  When our kids graduated the PTO committee organized a free party (drug and alcohol free) and tried to keep the kids out of trouble while allowing them to have an inclusive fun night with their classmates.  Madras is a pretty small school (<150) graduates.  Do they do something similar for the graduates at the bigger schools?  What about you and Alita...what are your celebratory plans?

Boy, THAT'S a good question.

When I graduated, I didn't get into any trouble, but did push the limit some.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 am

It's a weird moment right now. Alec is starting to feel the enormity of what's happening, and he's not sure what to make of it. I suspect we are, too. 

His school is doing one of those safe-sane-sober graduation night parties. After the ceremony tonight (!), he will get on a bus for places unknown and be gone until 5:30 a.m. Glad we didn't have a party planned for him.

ounce wrote:

Boy, THAT'S a good question.

When I graduated, I didn't get into any trouble, but did push the limit some.

When I graduated, I went to a kegger, got bored, then went to hang out with a friend who worked the overnight shift at a local radio station. Yup. I was a real party animal.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:20 am

So, there's this...

Which is something that, at times, I never thought I'd see. We're down to hours now before graduation.

Technically, he had his last class on Tuesday. These past two days have been assemblies, rehearsals and awards programs.

Speaking of awards...  Alec got a big surprise on Tuesday night during the Senior Awards Night program. His former AP World History teacher stood up on stage, in front of hundreds of people, and asked Alec to join her up there. She then preceded to say all sorts of very nice things about him and presented him with an award recognizing him as the Outstanding Senior in Social Studies for the Class of 2019. That's a class of 485 students. 

Trails for Two - Page 4 64321810

He was surprised and very pleased. We were extremely pleased, too, both for the honor and the fact that we were able to keep the secret for so long! Now we can be unabashedly, ridiculously proud of him. 

cheerscheerscheers

I have to take him to school for yet another rehearsal this morning. Then he's done until we drop him off at 5:30 tonight to get ready with the rest of his class. The actual ceremony, which is at the Sunlight Supply Amphitheater, will happen at 8 p.m. Glad out heat wave broke when it did! Wearing a cap and gown when it's 90+ degrees outdoors would be a bit toasty.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Understandable that you're proud of Alec! Bask in his accomplishments while you can realizing that you and Alita were a large part of why he was able to earn those awards.  It's good to be proud of our kids.

Glad to hear that the large schools are also organizing a safe evening for the kids. (BTW When I mentioned that my generation went out and got in trouble it was a generic statement.  I don't think I did anything after graduation and if I did it was very lame/tame.)

Enjoy the event tonight!  And let Alec know that we're proud of him to.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Mark B wrote:
Wearing a cap and gown when it's 90+ degrees outdoors would be a bit toasty.
Yes, it is.  Twice.

So let me by you a round of drinks!

Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots
Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots Shots

If only you had a horn for when his name is called out.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:03 am

Yup.

He's a graduate! 

It was a long ceremony, which happens when there are 478 graduating seniors, and they held it in a big indoor-outdoor amphitheater where they usually have the big rock bands play. These young rock stars were cheered on by a very large crowd (including a few people with horns). 

We got a front row seat and had a good view of Alec when his name was announced and he picked up his diploma, shook hands, etc. I don't think he ever saw us in the sea of people, but that's okay. We also had a good shot of him on the closed-circuit TV.

Trails for Two - Page 4 64213210

We (amazingly) found him in the crush of humanity after the event and got this grad night selfie.

Trails for Two - Page 4 62613910

After that, we packaged up all his grad gear and walked him to the bus for the all night "sane and sober" grad party. It turns out they went to a Bullwinkle's Family Fun Center south of Portland and spent the night there having fun. (Alita and I went out for margaritas and wonton chicken tacos. Yum.)

I picked him up, exhausted but satisfied, at about 5:30 this morning, and he's now sound asleep in his room.

Thank you guys for all your support, especially in this last year. It's been a bumpy flight at times, but we have successfully brought it in for a landing. Your thoughts, words and corny jokes helped that happen. Seriously. You guys are the best. Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next