365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often can i strength train?

4 posters

Go down

How often can i strength train? Empty How often can i strength train?

Post  ravdeep Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:00 am

I normally do strength training exercises ( nothing elaborate, just regular squats, lunges, planks and some stretches ) after every run. And i run 5 times a week. I want to know how often should i do these exercises to get the best out of them. Is it possible I am doing them too often than needed? or what? 
I live in india. I love running. Unfortunately i find myself with lack of friends who share the same interest or a coach who could guide me. So i hope you guys could answer some of my questions.

ravdeep

Back to top Go down

How often can i strength train? Empty Re: How often can i strength train?

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:41 am

I worked with a coach a couple years ago.  She put together a core/strength workout for me and recommended that I do it 3 days a week and reminded me to always take a rest day in between workouts.  I think recovery time is as important as training time.

Good luck.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:10 am

Welcome!

For most of us, the question isn't "how often can I do strength training" but "how often do I have to do strength training." So you're already ahead of many of us. Smile

I think Nancy's suggestion of three times per week is about right.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

How often can i strength train? Empty thanks for the reply guys

Post  ravdeep Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 am

Mark, what if i like doing strength training 5 times a week. I always make sure i have 2 full days of rest in a week for recovery. My concern is regarding knee health. Can doing squats, lunges with a good form, 5 times a week hurt my knees? or will it strengthen my knees?

* All my strength training exercises are body weight, no added weight of dumbells or plates

ravdeep

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:18 pm

It will strengthen your quads which will in turn help your knees greatly.  I think 3x per week is a good balance with running 5 days per week.  No matter your age or passion, we all need rest and recovery.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

How often can i strength train? Empty thanks for the reply michelle

Post  ravdeep Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:32 pm

I understand now. This doubt that what if I'm o tiring, exhausting my muscles, has been on my mind for a long time. Never could find someone to guide me. Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. 

One last question. I'll strength train 3 days from now on. But you see I have this pre and post run warmup routine which has reverse lunges ( 10 - 15 reps), squats ( 10 reps), high kicks (20 reps), high knees ( 100 reps this one I only do pre run). About the rest of the 2 days that im not strentgh training, can\should I be do all these warm up routines ( considering they all include working quads, knees as well) on those days?

ravdeep

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Absolutely!  We should all be as diligent with them!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down