365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California here we come...

+4
Julie
KBFitz
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
8 posters

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

California here we come... - Page 7 Empty Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:16 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Thanks all...race day karma must have come swarming my way.  I had a fantastic race!!!!!

We've had visitors all weekend so I'll provide details later but here's a brief update.

1:21:44  6th female

To put it all in perspective this is the 2nd fastest time I've posted.  My PR for this race is 1:20:27 from 2013. 

I couldn't be happier and other that knowing I ran a race yesterday...a bit tired and sore today but not bad...I feel good.

Details later today.  I have some fun stories to share.

Ultreya...
YEAH, baby!

Thanks Doug...I'm still pumped about the race and may have run a bit faster than intended today.  I guess the beta blockers don't completely block my bodies reaction to adrenalin. Shocked

Taper week was a busy week on the farm but I managed to get in a couple bike/run brick workouts and a couple short swims.  And we got 25 acres of carrot seed in the bin.  It was the leased ground so I needed to be available to drive the combine and provide rides.  Good thing it was a taper week and I didn't have a full schedule.  We also had Aussie visitors arrive on Friday.  Fortunately we weren't busy on the weekend so were able to enjoy both the race and our visitors.

This week is going to be very busy on the farm.  We cut both grass hay and alfalfa yesterday and today.  I've been in the swather a fair bit and will need to help rake and bale as well.  And I'm headed to Albuquerque on Saturday to attend my nephews wedding.  Marty and I looked at my schedule and potential obligations on the farm and I decided to move my long run up.  It's more of a priority especially since my last attempt at an 18 miler was a failure.  So...

Mon - Swim 2150 yds.  I struggled a bit.  Not sure if I was still tired from the race or having trouble getting going after a very relaxing weekend.  No biking.

Tue - 18 mi @ 10:40 HR 138/165.  I may have started out a bit fast (long run goal pace 11:00).  I ran this as three 6 mile loops.  First loop @ 10:42.  Then I felt I needed to maintain that pace.  Second loop @ 10:40.  I struggled on the first three miles of the last loop but was able to buckle down and run the last three miles in 10:22, 10:24, and 10:16 for a pace of 10:38 for that last loop.  Maybe not a smart run but an encouraging run.  The conditions were perfect.  It was 34 degrees when we got up this morning.  It was also pitch black outside.  I waited for the sun to come up and the temperature to rise to 38 before I started.  It was sunny but very pleasant the entire run and I managed fuel and nutrition well.  Cardio held up well.  HR stayed at/under 130 until those last 3 miles.  I need to work on my core and get my legs in better shape.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:24 pm

I don't think there is any need for discounting the smartness of the 18.  Some schools of thought say to run the last fourth of the distance at race pace.  That'd be 4.5 miles.

Good job!  It ought to be warmer in New Mexico, but cool at nights due to very low humidity.

Oh, one more thing.  Adrenalin is a hormone, so it might have a different route or higher up the food chain than a beta blocker.  Good question for the doc if adrenalin (or hormones in general) trumps beta blockers.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:13 pm

Ooo. Nice work taking advantage of those 38-degree temperatures. Once you get past the chill, it's a great temperature, especially for racing. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:39 pm

I hope you get up to Sandia Peak while in ABQ.  I enjoyed going up the cable car and the cool weather up there, even when it was close to 90 near sundown and 70 with wind at the top.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:26 am

Wow!!! What a week.  Good thing I did my long run on Tuesday as I wouldn't have been able to fit it in any other time.  I should be able to squeeze in a bit of easy running during my trip.

Doug...My brother lives I Cedar Crest near Sandia Peak.  The kids used to love the gondola but I haven't been for several years.

Mark...I noticed your post about body fat and will respond with some before/during/after numbers when I get back.  Not what you would expect...

I'm off...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:06 pm

38F? And you had to wait for it to warm up???  I'm seriously a bit jealous and I bet Ounce is too.  It was 71F here in CLE this morning and 89% humidity  - well except when it rained as I guess that is 100%, right??
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:41 pm

Yes, Miche1e.

Since this is the coldest blog, presently, I have a question.  I thought I saw where wearing a cotton shirt instead of a synthetic shirt is better in cold weather, even when sweating a lot, because the shirt doesn't get dry and doesn't let air through the shirt.  Myth or fact?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:31 am

That's a truly impressive race performance Nancy! It looks as though you've recovered and exceeded your prior level of aerobic fitness. This is outstanding! Could be a real harbinger of things to come at CIM. Keep on doing what you're doing ...it's working.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:08 pm

Sounds like things are going great!

Ounce, you didn't ask me but cotton is bad in cold, at least among my running friends. It does get sweaty and cold and chilled. We always wear tech shirts in winter and layer up. Not that 38 is considered cold.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:38F? And you had to wait for it to warm up???  I'm seriously a bit jealous and I bet Ounce is too.  It was 71F here in CLE this morning and 89% humidity  - well except when it rained as I guess that is 100%, right??
Yup...and it was nice.  Another 38 degree run this morning!  There is a reason why I like December marathons...

ounce
Yes, Miche1e.

Since this is the coldest blog, presently, I have a question.  I thought I saw where wearing a cotton shirt instead of a synthetic shirt is better in cold weather, even when sweating a lot, because the shirt doesn't get dry and doesn't let air through the shirt.  Myth or fact?

You won't catch me wearing cotton any time but especially in cold weather.  Layers of tech fabric including fleece if it's really cold.

KBFitz
That's a truly impressive race performance Nancy! It looks as though you've recovered and exceeded your prior level of aerobic fitness. This is outstanding! Could be a real harbinger of things to come at CIM. Keep on doing what you're doing ...it's working.

Thanks Kevin.  I'm not doing anything special...just working at getting back in good enough shape so that running is fun again.  I am impressed with the distances you've been able to run so soon after your heart event!!

Julie
Sounds like things are going great!

Ounce, you didn't ask me but cotton is bad in cold, at least among my running friends. It does get sweaty and cold and chilled. We always wear tech shirts in winter and layer up. Not that 38 is considered cold.

Thanks Julie.   +1 on the cotton...and I agree 38 degrees isn't cold.  It's pleasant!

So I had a great trip but arrived home exhausted and swamped with work both on the farm and in the office.  The wedding was very nice and I enjoyed spending time with Mom as well.  I didn't get as much running in as I'd hoped.  The trail recommended to me was way to rocky to run on.  It was a difficult hike but I got in 2.75 miles of tough hiking on Sunday morning.  I decided to stay on the road (gravel) on Monday morning but every other house had huge dogs and I was afraid the residents were going to get very frustrated at all the barking before breakfast so I called it a morning after 2 loops which only added up to 3.75 miles.  I ran slow but it seemed hard...6500' elevation?  No breakfast? No coffee?  It was nice to get out and stretch my legs at least a bit anyway.

Good run this morning...38 degrees again!  7 miles including 6x800 avg 4:25 (@8:51) HR 140/169  Pretty happy with my training so far.  I'm doing everything...even the intervals...on the rolling hills in the area where I live.  Should be pretty similar to the CIM course.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:03 pm

You survived the trip!  Now to get all caught up. Mad

Thanks to you and Julie for setting me straight on the cotton shirt.  It was something about how a cotton shirt would block the wind, unlike a tech shirt which will let it blow right on through.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:51 am

Ok...quick update.  It's been busy here and my internet access has been spotty at best.

The local rec district planned a new half.  They named it the Hill Billy Half.  It was supposed to start at Pelton Dam and run up the hill and then back down to Willow Creek and then up, up, up the hill to the rim and finish on the overlook of Lake Billy Chinook.  The bigger hill was 800' gain in just over a mile.  Only a dozen people signed up so they cancelled it at the last minute.  A few of us decided to run it as a group "fun" run anyway.  My oldest son, Gary and my swim partner, Janice joined me and two others.  We carpooled to the dam and one of the drivers stuck around to provide water for us and safety flashers on the narrowest sections of the road.  The weather was beautiful.  The scenery was gorgeous.  The hill was ridiculously tough!!!!  The two tough hills were in the first 4 miles or so.  For the record I walked the last 1/4 mile of the biggest hill.  The rest of the course had some rollers but was runnable.

So...I've been short miles the last couple weeks and had some free time on Friday so I decided to go ahead and run a short version of my scheduled MP run.  I ended up doing 7.45 miles w/5 @ 9:46  HR 137/152  Tried not to push to hard knowing I was planning to run the hilly 13 the next day...

I knew that with tired legs and the hills that the half on Saturday would be tough.  It was but I finished very well so I was quite pleased.  I ended up doing 13.1 miles @ 10:37 HR 145/168

1  9:56
2  10:58
3  9:53
4  14:33
5  12:45
6  10:41
7  10:47
8  11:14
9  9:32
10 9:29
11 9:50
12 9:12
13 9:20
.1 @ 8:20

Gary ran back after he finished and met me with about a mile and a half to go...I may have pushed a bit to hard when he joined me but settled back in OK.  The last 5 miles were at a 9:28 pace on mostly flat ground with a few small rollers.  Better finish than I expected!!  It was fun and I really enjoyed the group aspect of the run.

My legs were screaming at me afterwards and are still a bit sore this morning even after a rest day yesterday.  I'll try and do some easy core work today and give the legs a bit more rest before I ask to much of them.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Very nice run, Nancy!  That hill sound like a fun challenge.  I ran a "hilly" half marathon (hilly for NE OH) on Saturday in Akron and it doesn't even compare and we were annoyed with the terrain - lol.  Of course, around here, people complain if there is the tiniest of hills.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Very nice run, Nancy!  That hill sound like a fun challenge.  I ran a "hilly" half marathon (hilly for NE OH) on Saturday in Akron and it doesn't even compare and we were annoyed with the terrain - lol.  Of course, around here, people complain if there is the tiniest of hills.
800' climb in a mile.  Whoa, I don't have the frame of reference to see that, but I don't like it. 

Miche1e, I swear that I haven't talked to any of your people about hills.  I actually look forward to tiny hills, now!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:01 pm

ounce wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Very nice run, Nancy!  That hill sound like a fun challenge.  I ran a "hilly" half marathon (hilly for NE OH) on Saturday in Akron and it doesn't even compare and we were annoyed with the terrain - lol.  Of course, around here, people complain if there is the tiniest of hills.
800' climb in a mile.  Whoa, I don't have the frame of reference to see that, but I don't like it. 

Miche1e, I swear that I haven't talked to any of your people about hills.  I actually look forward to tiny hills, now!

It was a very challenging hill.  In hindsight it was fun but at the time I was wondering what I was thinking!!  I've never been a big fan of hills but I've learned to run the rolling hills rather than seek out the flats or down hills for my training runs.  My times might not be as good but I get more out of the time invested. 

Doug...just picture feeling like you could reach out and touch the road in front of you without bending at the waist...

So...Marty and I did our core work on Monday.  Half reps.  I was pretty sore before, during and after.  I was beginning to regret pushing quite that hard on the Hill Billy Half "fun" run on Saturday.

Tuesday - 3x1 @ 9:00 was on the schedule.  I got a late start due to farm obligations.  I was prepared to slow down and/or cut the run short if necessary.  It went OK.  I ended up with 7.5 miles and my 1 mile intervals were 8:58, 8:56, 8:56.  It was getting a bit warm so I walked the first few seconds of each 1/2 mile rest period before transitioning into a slow jog.  I added a bit longer cool down and transitioned into a run/walk for the last little bit of it.    The best part is that my legs were actually less sore after the run than they were at the start!

I'm hoping they give the go ahead to trash carrot seed today.  We can't get done if we don't get started.  They are concerned that it isn't dry enough yet but we're running out of warm weather and they are predicting rain by this weekend.  This should be the last big push.  Irrigation water goes off on Oct 8th as well.  Party!!

Pool is still closed for maintenance.  I miss it.  I think swimming was a good recovery activity.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:59 am

Woo-hoo! Eight hundred feet in a mile? Now we're talking! (Well, when we can catch our breath, that is...)

That sounds like a crazy challenging half, but in a beautiful spot. It sounds a little like the race they have at Smith Rock every year. We walked up part of the hill from the river to the parking lot, and it was insanely steep. Something about climbing up the sides of canyons. Very Happy

But to do that and hit such solid times? That's impressive! And it was a heck of a workout getting ready for CIM. You're not even going to feel those hills in the first half!

Good luck on the weather. It's looking like we're going to get an extended wet spell starting this weekend. Get that carrot seed in!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks Mark...I used to avoid hills at all costs.  I'm learning to embrace the challenge and potential training benefits.

We finished carrot harvest this afternoon...as it started spitting rain.  The seed company told us to just get in and finish...they'll dry the seed.  Will the rains come now?

Wed - Core/strength (still doing half reps)

Thurs - 11 w/9 @ MP 9:48 pace HR 136/151.  Pretty happy with both the pace and the HR.  Legs felt a bit heavy at the start but improved during the run.

Fri - Core/strength (half reps)

Sat - 20 miles @ 10:27 HR 137/173  Started out at a much more reasonable pace but this accidentally turned into a progression run so I finally gave up on long run pace.  The last 3 miles were at MP.  HR started to creep up by mile 14 or 15 but really didn't go up much at all till those last 3 or 4 miles.  Pretty sore after but once I hydrated and rested a bit I felt fine.  Felt remarkably good this morning!

Finished the carrot seed!  Baled the last of the alfalfa!  One more week of irrigation! 
Pool should reopen this week cheers

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 am

Bet you're happy to have the carrot seed done!  Crummy when the pools are closed isn't it?  They all seem to close around at the end of August (right when school starts), and they try to rotate, but then you get stuck in some of the old pools.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Bet you're happy to have the carrot seed done!  Crummy when the pools are closed isn't it?  They all seem to close around at the end of August (right when school starts), and they try to rotate, but then you get stuck in some of the old pools.

Oh yes...we're all transitioning into winter mode now that the carrot seed is in the bin.  One more week of irrigation water...life changes dramatically.

Unfortunately the next closest pool is 40 minutes away...not an option for me.  But our pool is opening today!

Your comments on the "week in training" blog about me running at/near pre-cardiac event paces got me thinking...

I went back and looked at my marathon training in 2013.  It's always hard to compare but here's what I found when I looked back at the 10 week period starting 20 weeks before the marathon through 10 weeks before the marathon...

2013             2016
Average MP runs                     9:28              9:54
Average long run pace             10:27            10:43

Not quite as fast but considering that I'm 3 years older not to bad.  And some of the difference is by choice.  I'm often quite torn and feel like I have Dr. B sitting on my shoulder shouting in my ear to remember to run for the experience not the time.  But sitting on the other shoulder is Coach Tim whispering...you're to conservative...you're not performing up to your potential.  And the competitive me often wants to listen to Coach Tim and ignore Dr. B.

I often have to remind myself that I'm feeling good and enjoying running again...I don't want to get greedy and ruin that.

Off to swimming...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:52 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Bet you're happy to have the carrot seed done!  Crummy when the pools are closed isn't it?  They all seem to close around at the end of August (right when school starts), and they try to rotate, but then you get stuck in some of the old pools.

Oh yes...we're all transitioning into winter mode now that the carrot seed is in the bin.  One more week of irrigation water...life changes dramatically.

Unfortunately the next closest pool is 40 minutes away...not an option for me.  But our pool is opening today!

Your comments on the "week in training" blog about me running at/near pre-cardiac event paces got me thinking...

I went back and looked at my marathon training in 2013.  It's always hard to compare but here's what I found when I looked back at the 10 week period starting 20 weeks before the marathon through 10 weeks before the marathon...

2013             2016

Not quite as fast but considering that I'm 3 years older not to bad.  And some of the difference is by choice.  I'm often quite torn and feel like I have Dr. B sitting on my shoulder shouting in my ear to remember to run for the experience not the time.  But sitting on the other shoulder is Coach Tim whispering...you're to conservative...you're not performing up to your potential.  And the competitive me often wants to listen to Coach Tim and ignore Dr. B.

I often have to remind myself that I'm feeling good and enjoying running again...I don't want to get greedy and ruin that.

Off to swimming...

Ultreya...

So what is life like on the farm when harvest is done and irrigation is over?

Your training is going well. I think you should listen to Dr. B in training but Coach Tim on race day. (But only in the second half.) Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:17 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

2013             2016

Off to swimming...

Ultreya...

Your training is going well. I think you should listen to Dr. B in training but Coach Tim on race day. (But only in the second half.) Very Happy  
And Nancy, I'm thinking you are back regardless of what those "miles times" say. 3 yrs and one cardiac event later - look at where you are!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

2013             2016

Off to swimming...

Ultreya...

And Nancy, I'm thinking you are back regardless of what those "miles times" say. 3 yrs and one cardiac event later - look at where you are!
Mark...during irrigation season (normally mid-April through mid-October) we move irrigation pipe twice a day pretty much every day.  Yup 7 days a week.  That means the alarm goes off at 5:00 am and we finish between 7 and 8 pm.  Makes it pretty tough to go anywhere.  We've tried to schedule work and plan things but something always seems to change so we've pretty much given up.  We did get away for our anniversary this year...2nd time in 40 years.  If you remember things did not go well and we won't be planning anything next year.  I have been able to get away more during irrigation season since Kevin came home 3 1/2 years ago but Marty and I can't both be gone.

So what happens now?  We can go to Emma's volleyball game.  We can visit our Mom's in Sandy.  We can go out to dinner.  We can sleep in.  We can go on vacation...I'm looking at trekking trips in Nepal for December 2017.  We still have work to do but it's much more flexible.  Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't change things...but I do enjoy the "off season". 

Yes, I agree that training is going well and believe it's because I've listened to Dr. B...well sort of anyway.  Tim is the swim coach and is commenting based on the fact that I can almost always swim a negative split and finish strong.  It took me years to develop that skill and I like it much better than dying at the end so I don't plan to change!

Michele...I am happy with where I am even if it is a bit slower.  I often laugh when I think about what I'm doing now.  I was a shot putter in high school and ran my first 5K at the age of 49...not what I expected to be doing in my old age!!

Mon - Swim 2200 yards.  Felt good to be back in the pool.
       - Core/strength

Tues - 11 mi including 6x1 at an average of 9:19  HR 139/156  I'm using Hanson's intervals this cycle.  I've been doing speed work but transitioned to strength work this week (slower but longer). 

Pretty happy with how the cardio feels during my runs.  The legs have been slower to adapt but are starting to feel better.

Ultreya....
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:17 am

Nepal sounds like a great adventure!

But after a growing season of 105-hour weeks, just sleeping in sounds like heaven! Those of us who enjoy carrots appreciate your sacrifice. albino

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:36 am

Nepal in the winter?  Aren't they above the equator in winter time?  Well, ultreya and take your camera.

Good luck working towards that goal.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:20 pm

ounce wrote:

Thanks to you and Julie for setting me straight on the cotton shirt.  It was something about how a cotton shirt would block the wind, unlike a tech shirt which will let it blow right on through.
So I found the posting on the Javelina Jundred FB page about the cotton shirt.  I messed up about the 'where' of using a cotton shirt.  Therefore, I'm going to re-ask the question about wearing a cotton shirt within the context of an Arizona desert where the afternoon temp could be in the 80's, no shade, and the temp drops like a rock as the sun disappears due to very low humidity.  Thanks.

The original question is asked by:
Sabina Havkins
September 19 at 5:57pm · Seattle, WA
Any hot weather tips (clothing etc) for those of us from the Pacific Northwest

Katie Wallace Agreed on ice in the hat and sports bra. I will also add: cotton! Stay wet all day long with a cotton t-shirt and cotton bandanna. I know the running community is stuck on quick evaporative fabrics, which are great in the mountains, where "cotton kills," but in the desert, cotton is king.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next