365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Houston FIT or not

+2
nkrichards
ounce
6 posters

Go down

Houston FIT or not Empty Houston FIT or not

Post  ounce Thu May 28, 2015 11:40 am

(I think we should get Matt to change the name of the Running Forum to "Your Week in Training by KB Fitz and random running questions") 

I'm pondering whether to join Houston FIT (part of USA FIT) for the sole purpose of doing the long runs with a group.  It starts in early July, but I wouldn't be able to do any of their long runs until late September and even then only a couple of Saturdays a month. 

It ends up that I could run with them maybe 6 or 8 weekends from October through December.  Is that enough of a benefit?  I would be running my usual solo running schedule when not running in a group, so I would be putting in the miles on a consistent basis.  I have posed this question before, I believe.

Thoughts?  Comments?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Houston FIT or not Empty Re: Houston FIT or not

Post  nkrichards Thu May 28, 2015 12:13 pm

I've always been a solo runner but this year I did pair up with a friend for a few workouts.  I really enjoyed it and felt like I got a lot out of it.  Is there a cost involved?  If not...or if it's not to much...I'd say go for it even if you can only join in on a few of the group runs.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 28, 2015 2:26 pm

I would.  I train all summer alone, but as those runs become longer, I love the camaraderie of the group.  I doubt it is an issue to join and then not come until October - I'm betting that might be a common event especially since the summer is soooo warm there.  If possible, you might want to try to go to an early beginning run to make sure there is a group of like paced folks (that are like minded too).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu May 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Seconding Michele's comment about making sure you have a pace group.  I ran a few of the DCRR long runs and, despite being a pretty fast dude, I was immediately dropped most of the time, since I was training for an ultra and running 8:30s instead of 8:00s.  Group runs became solo runs, so I stopped going.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu May 28, 2015 3:22 pm

I support signing up.  Makes those long runs go by a lot faster.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks, y'all.  They have groups split up by time, so I'm sure that I can find a group, but I'd have to keep the noise from the metronome real low. Shocked

I doubt the organizers would care if I ran or not, since I paid the $140.  I'm sure they have a historical attrition rate.  Well, I'll give it a go and see what happens.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Late to the party, but I'd agree that it'd be nice to have some company from time to tme if they have an appropriate pace group. If not, never mind. It's no fun getting dropped.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Not late.  Heck, I just posted the thread today.  I checked the different pace groups and my group would be the 10 minute to 13:45 pace group.  I can't imagine that's 1 group, but sub-groups of 2 or 3.  I know their are different starting times for the Saturday long runs.  They have a talking head that starts at 8 a.m., so the long runs are started with the 8 a.m. finish time.

Can you imagine 1 group crossing a street?  Thanks, Mark.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down