365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+14
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Chris M
Julie
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
dot520
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Schuey
18 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 23 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Walk: 2.2 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, mild, 62.

I had time to work in a lunchtime walk today at work, so I headed out on my normal out-and-back route down to the Columbia River. It was a nice early autumn day, mild with a cool breeze. No fall color to speak of, but a few downed leaves.

I've been suffering cramps in the front of my hip lately, and it seems to get worse when I try to walk uphill, so I experimented with something I read about the walking component of long ultras - keeping the trailing foot on the ground just a little bit longer rather than thinking "push off." I'm guessing this may help load and release the calf muscles more effectively, and it definitely gives a nice little stretch at the front of the hip.

It felt a little faster, and kind of relaxing.. and my hip didn't bother me, either. So that's a nice thing. We'll see if it behaves for the rest of the day. If it does, I may be on to something. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Mark B wrote: keeping the trailing foot on the ground just a little bit longer rather than thinking "push off."

This is what I do when I mention 'hip rotation' that lengthens my stride juuuuust a bit more.

And, well, Fluff can't say that he's a starving artist.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:36 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote: keeping the trailing foot on the ground just a little bit longer rather than thinking "push off."

This is what I do when I mention 'hip rotation' that lengthens my stride juuuuust a bit more.

And, well, Fluff can't say that he's a starving artist.

Makes sense on the hip rotation reminder. It sounds like a different way of achieving the same goal: getting the mechanics to the most optimal alignment, transferring the most power in the most efficient way possible. I think either way works, and that's what counts. ("Whatever works" is kind of becoming my motto for now. More on that later.)

No, Fluff is many things, but starving is not among them. He's a pretty big guy. (And it's not just the fluff.) We wonder if he might have a little Maine coon in him. Though the website I linked doesn't seem to mention a propensity for causing chaos and destruction. Probably an oversight. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Cross-training day today. I could feel yesterday's walk a bit -- just enough to remind me that I should alternate types of effort for now, to reduce the chances of something going ka-pwing on me.

I worked my core and calves.

Clamshells: 40 reps each side.
Leg lifts: 40 reps each side
Leg circles: 40 reps each side
Bridges: 40 reps

Plus...

Single-legged heel lifts, with knee locked to isolate the gastroc: one set of 40, then sets of 30, 20 and 10 for each leg. I supported my weight on the back of a chair. I thought I'd try the old "burn out" method from weightlifting many years ago. (Hey! I just realized I did 100 reps total. Nifty.) Coming down the stairs was an interesting sensation.  Suspect

Single-legged stands, knee locked, supported to keep from toppling over: 5 minutes each leg.

My sort-of plan will be to try a short easy run tomorrow, probably with shoes, to see how it goes. Not sure if I should aim for 30 minutes total (including warm-up and cool-down) or 45. We'll see.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Low HR Run: 30 minutes (2.18 miles)

Weather: Sunny, mild. 65. Gear: Altra Instincts.

I dithered over what, if anything, to wear on my feet this morning before deciding to take today's run in shoes. The bruising on my big toe has faded, but it's still a little sore, so discretion (and toe protection) seemed like the better part of valor. Shoes it is.

I headed out on the start of one of my regular routes, with the full low HR approach in effect: Walk the first five minutes, then run until the timer hit 15 minutes, then turn around and run back until 25 minutes, then walk the final 5 minutes. Speed was irrelevant. The only goal was to move, get a feel for my legs and start stimulating the system.

I was pleased to see that my HR dipped into the low 50s before I started, and that I could bring the HR down below 100 while cooling down, though it was after I hit 30 minutes and stopped my timer.

It went pretty well, though it's pretty obvious that I'm starting from scratch. No matter. Great journeys are made even better if they have humble beginnings.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 123
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:43 pm

I'm glad the bruising is not keeping you from getting out and running. Although, I think that you should stick to shoes and ditch the barefoot crap. Go with one of the minimalist shoes that you like.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I'm glad the bruising is not keeping you from getting out and running.  Although, I think that you should stick to shoes and ditch the barefoot crap.  Go with one of the minimalist shoes that you like.

Oh, Nick... I don't think I'm the sort to go totally barefoot all the time, but I'll still be doing it to work on my form and coordination. It helps that I have both a podiatrist and PT telling me that barefoot is a good option for someone with feet like mine. A decade ago, that would have been unthinkable.

Also, I've hurt myself much more often and more seriously in shoes than barefoot. Let's see if I can remember all my barefoot injures: two dragged/stubbed toes (the same big toe on my left foot, actually), both causing bruising and annoyance, a weird blister on the ball of my foot once while running on a wet rubberized track, a few tiny pieces of glass - but only one that didn't come out instantly. And that's it.

My calcaneal-cuboid fracture, tortured peroneal tendons, wrenched ankles, spasming gemelli, etc., all happened while wearing shoes. Though my shower floor was a lot cleaner then... hmm.

Anyway, I'll probably keep experimenting with other footwear for the lion's share of my runs. My Altras seem to work fine, though I'm not sure about the next generation. My Luna sandals still intrigue me, but their use for running did coincide with my peroneal tendon problem earlier this year. Maybe it was a coincidence -- and maybe it was a good thing, because it unveiled a problem caused by weak calf muscles that needed tending -- but I'll probably try 'em out again one of these days.

Question to readers: What minimalist (or zero drop) shoes do you like? I'd be curious to hear about them.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:12 pm

I can't really help you there. The lowest drop that I have gone with is the New Balance MT1010 Minimus Trail Shoe. It has a 4mm drop, but I only use it for winter running, as it is a trail/road hybrid.

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/new-balance-mt1010-review.html
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:05 pm

I too am in the 4mm drop zone.  I've settled into the Saucony Kinvara and have been really happy with them.  They have a wide enough toe box that my foot needs and feel like nothing on the feet.  I use them both on pavement and dirt/gravel levees and like them in both environments.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I can't really help you there.  The lowest drop that I have gone with is the New Balance MT1010 Minimus Trail Shoe.  It has a 4mm drop, but I only use it for winter running, as it is a trail/road hybrid.

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/new-balance-mt1010-review.html

I've tried some of the Minimus line and liked them quite a lot, except I haven't found a pair that actually fits my freaky foot shape. It either digs in on the side, or leaves my forefoot swimming. Neutral

Tom H wrote:I too am in the 4mm drop zone.  I've settled into the Saucony Kinvara and have been really happy with them.  They have a wide enough toe box that my foot needs and feel like nothing on the feet.  I use them both on pavement and dirt/gravel levees and like them in both environments.

I've run in the Peregrine, which is pretty much a trail version of the Kinvara, so I bet I'd like it. Worth considering. Thanks for the suggestion, Tom!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:45 am

Well Mark, it's nice to see that this blog has returned to discussing running issues. Not that your house wasn't interesting...it's just nice to see that you've been able to think about something else.

Enjoy this nice weather...it can't last to much longer.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:27 pm

nkrichards wrote:Well Mark, it's nice to see that this blog has returned to discussing running issues.  Not that your house wasn't interesting...it's just nice to see that you've been able to think about something else.

Fluffy didn't make it onto this page yet! Gotta fix that.  Wink
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:Well Mark, it's nice to see that this blog has returned to discussing running issues.  Not that your house wasn't interesting... it's just nice to see that you've been able to think about something else.

Boy, it's been a while, hasn't it? I haven't really run consistently since March.

One thing that's going to make this return to running interesting is how it's going to involve learning how to use muscles (calf muscles) that I haven't really been using before. I'm eager to discover what sort of impact it's going to have. I'm hopeful.

And the weather this week has been fantastic. Cool overnight, bright and sunny during the day. Not much fall color yet, but it's definitely getting that autumn look outside.

As far as the house goes, we only have two things left outstanding. They'll be replacing baseboards and the sills and jambs around several windows. It should have been done earlier in the process, but they tried to make do with what they had. Didn't work.

Julie wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Well Mark, it's nice to see that this blog has returned to discussing running issues.  Not that your house wasn't interesting...it's just nice to see that you've been able to think about something else.

Fluffy didn't make it onto this page yet! Gotta fix that.  Wink

Yes, ma'am! One Fluff, coming up!

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 23 Fluff10

He looks so innocent when he sleeps...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:26 am

Oh brother... Rolling Eyes
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:18 am

Mark,  I've heard "Fluff" used as a newspaper term, but don't know the exact definition.  Perhaps you could clarify and we could see if there is some sort of deeper meaning to his name associated with your profession?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Oh brother... Rolling Eyes

Trust me, Nick. There's a whole lot of eye-rolling that happens when Fluff is involved. He's a nut.

Tom H wrote:Mark,  I've heard "Fluff" used as a newspaper term, but don't know the exact definition.  Perhaps you could clarify and we could see if there is some sort of deeper meaning to his name associated with your profession?

Let's see... Webster defines "Fluff" as "something inconsequential." So in newspaper terms, that'd refer to a story of little importance -- say, a story on the latest ways the rich and famous spoil their cats -- as compared with something more substantial. Say, how to keep your cat from flooding your house. Wink

Fluff's original "legal" name is "Hunter Scruffy Bowder." (Yes, Hunter S. Bowder. He's a bit gonzo, after all.) But it didn't sound right, and he ignored it, so we kept on trying until we came up for "Fluff for Brains" - and shortened it to Fluff. It fits on multiple levels, as you can see here:

fluff noun \ˈfləf\
Definition of FLUFF
1: down
2: something fluffy
3: something inconsequential
4: blunder
Read more than you'd ever want to know about the word "fluff" on merriam-webster.com.

---

For what it's worth, there's a bit of newspaper jargon, the word "guff," that refers to the little bits of text you see in info boxes and such. It's a fun word, but it's rare to hear except from the creaking old ink-stained dinosaurs who had to use manual typewriters, carbon paper and glue pots. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Back to running!

--

Low HR Run: 30 minutes (2.2 miles)

Weather: Sunny, mild. 65 degrees. Gear: Luna sandals

Everybody is at school, I have a day off, and it's beautiful outside. In other lifetimes, I'd have been out scampering over trails today. That's not possible yet, but that doesn't keep my brain from demanding at least a little adventure.

So...

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 23 Lunamo10
These are my Luna Mono sandals. "Mono" is "monkey" in Spanish, which sort of fits my monkey feet.

Yup! I decided it was time to give the Luna sandals another whirl. I'd worn them running earlier this year when they were new, and they may or may not have contributed to my ankle problems. (Or they may have simply hastened the important realization that I really need to develop my calf muscles.) At any rate, the sandals hadn't formed to my feet yet then, so they felt kind of loosey-goosy on. Since I wore them pretty much constantly all summer, it was time to see how they felt now that they were one with my feet.

The difference was striking. They felt almost as secure as shoes -- impressive considering that they're held on by one big lace -- and they handled downhill sections (including the ravine) without any problem at all. Wow! Much improved.

(Yes, I'll probably switch off between shoes and sandals and barefoot as I start to rebuild. Part of my problem before might have been trying to run shoe distances in sandals when I hadn't worked up to it.)

My heart rate and the ups and downs of this route didn't let me really hold a sustained speed, but I did spend time in the 9s and 10s, which felt pretty good underfoot.

The sandals didn't afford as much cushion as my Altras, of course, so much of the run was trying to dial in technique while keeping my heart rate in my target zone. I went a tiny bit farther than I did last week, which was nice, but it all still feels very much like a new beginning.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 125
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:58 am

Core/Calf Day

Clamshells, Leg lifts, Leg circles: 50 reps each on both legs
Bridges: 50 reps
Single-leg heel lifts, 50-30-20-10 for a total of 110 each leg (I did each successive set to weakness.)

I did my single-legged stand (5 minutes each leg) last night. I may do it again today, once my legs start quivering.

If I get a chance, I'll try to squeeze in a lunchtime walk of a couple of miles.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Mark B wrote:

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 23 Lunamo10
These are my Luna Mono sandals. "Mono" is "monkey" in Spanish, which sort of fits my monkey feet.

Those sandals are amazing and really do turn your feet into monkey feet.  They actually let you stand on a vertical surface like that.  Wow.  Must be useful for those steep trail ascents and descents!

It is good to see that you are able to stretch yourself a little further each day now.  It won't be long before you'll be back on the trails.  Probably just in time for the wet and cold weather to add that little additional challenge.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:13 pm

The sandals are back making an appearance!! Guard the toes Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Tom H wrote:Those sandals are amazing and really do turn your feet into monkey feet.  They actually let you stand on a vertical surface like that.  Wow.  Must be useful for those steep trail ascents and descents!

It is good to see that you are able to stretch yourself a little further each day now.  It won't be long before you'll be back on the trails.  Probably just in time for the wet and cold weather to add that little additional challenge.

Heh. I was wondering if I was going to hear something about my artistic photo angle. Smile

And you're absolutely right about the weather: I should be ready to make more extended forays just as the temperature -- and rainfall -- comes down. At least I'm used to it, as long as I can remember which box I packed my cool/wet weather gear in as we were clearing the flooded room. Hm...

Nick Morris wrote:The sandals are back making an appearance!!  Guard the toes Smile

Oh you can be assured of that, Nick! I'm impressed with folks who can go out and run technical trail races wearing sandals (you'll notice few if any attempt it barefoot), but I don't think I'll be joining their ranks. One accidental kick of a rock or root, and it'd be game over. And I have a history of kicking stuff.

Now, if it was a nice non-technical runnable trail... I might be singing a different tune. Very Happy

Last edited by Mark B on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:55 pm

I remember running a marathon years back (either Twin Cities or Chicago) where someone was running in flip flops. Literally...OK figuratively...blew my mind.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I remember running a marathon years back (either Twin Cities or Chicago) where someone was running in flip flops.  Literally...OK figuratively...blew my mind.

It's amazing what people can run in. I've seen photos of a lady doing a technical 50-miler in Crocs. It just goes to show that your choices aren't as limited as the industrial-footwear complex might have you believe.

Free your feet, and your mind will follow, man! geek
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Walk: 2.2 miles

Weather: Sunny, warm. 71, but the sun felt hotter.

I'm trying to work walks back into the program, heading out at lunch when I work the day shift. It was as pretty day, but I'll be glad when this unusually warm autumn weather finally breaks. My coworkers would probably appreciate it if I didn't come back all sweaty from these excursions.

I could feel the work I did on my core and calves this morning, but it didn't give me any trouble. My hip was okay, as well, so letting my foot stay down just a moment longer seem so be working.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:20 pm

Glad things seem to be going well. 50 miler in Crocs? Wow! Here I am contemplating breaking out my shoes with 0 miles in them for my last 2 miler tomorrow. But I'm freaking out right now and I don't want to pass it on. I should really just stay off the computer.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next