365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funkadelic Happening

+10
Mark B
nkrichards
ounce
Penelope
Tom H
dot520
mul21
Jim Lentz
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
14 posters

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Funkadelic Happening - Page 18 Empty Re: Funkadelic Happening

Post  ounce Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:39 pm

I arrived, last night, in Corpus Christi at the Hilton where I had been staying for the first 7 of the 8 weeks of this project.  No running this morning because I didn't get to Corpus until about 10:30, but I did do about 30-40 minutes of core work.  I'll be running in the morning.

On Friday, I did pick up the stationery and it looks nice.  I was a stickler for wanting some things, as usually I'll acquiesce.  But, the stationery is something that has to look good and has to continually represent the brand.  I had troubles making sure the logo's main font (Meiryo) was being used consistently on every thing and the right shade of blue.  There are 2 different fonts in the logo and 3 different sizes.

One printer didn't know how to convert the different types of colors into the color that were being used on the logo.  I had to go find the website that does color conversions and give her the color in 4 different conventions (SMS, Hex, RGB and another one), plus get sheets on the fonts.  This particular printer was happy just making Xeroxes and making business cards with black ink on a white card in her business, which is why I found a printer in Corpus to do it.

So, the blue color in the logo is Hex #4ACOF2.  Or if you want to check it out in Excel, go to a blank spreadsheet, highlight the whole tab, click on the little down arrow on the bucket that colors the background, click on "More Colors", then click on 'Custom', Color Model box should be RGB, then input 74 in the Red box, 192 in the Green box, and 242 in the Blue box, then hit OK.  The result is the whole tab should be this baby bluish color.

The color wasn't my pick, but done by the graphic designer that created the logo and I liked it.  Printed on the business card, it's a little darker than in Excel, which is normal due to the monitor's interpretation.

That's it for today.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:03 am

This morning it was a brisk 80 degrees with a dewpoint of around 78 and a 8 mph or less SE breeze.  I ran 3.2 miles.  It was the first run since July 10 and my legs were wondering what the hell I was doing at such a dark time of the day.  They ain't seen nuffin, yet.  I'm not quite into a daily groove on doing the core exercises, but I am at least doing them every other day.

I am also continuing not eating breakfast in the morning.  I was a little curious how grumpy my body would be, after the run, but so far everything is fine.  It seems hot tea quells a tummy.

On the weather front in Houston, we might be breaking 100 degrees, this week.  I believe it's been 685 days since the last 100 degree day.  Not a record.  The average 1st day of 100 degrees is July 24, so we're on track.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Whoo-hoo! About time you folks in Texas enjoy a little heat for a change.

Hope your body gets back to its predawn routine. Can't be much of a breeze, but at least the sun isn't a factor.

BTW, isn't Meiryo a Japanese script typeface? (Oh, foo. Never mind. I see it also has an Arabic variant.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:12 am

Mark B wrote:Whoo-hoo! About time you folks in Texas enjoy a little heat for a change.

Hope your body gets back to its predawn routine. Can't be much of a breeze, but at least the sun isn't a factor.

BTW, isn't Meiryo a Japanese script typeface? (Oh, foo. Never mind. I see it also has an Arabic variant.)

Yes, Meiryo is a Japanese script typeface, initially.  Still can't believe the first printing company didn't know how to get that font, much less the color.  Rolling Eyes

Running in the dark is not a bad thing.  Less cars, but the cars that are out there are not expecting to see any runners at 'dark:30' in the morning.  Sidewalks are such a nice thing. 

One thing about my running down here in Corpus.  I'm not drinking any water on the runs and it doesn't seem to be bugging me, which makes me curious about how the body can adapt to different conditions.  I wouldn't necessarily try that in the daylight and I wouldn't do that for a marathon (tried something similar 2 Houstons ago and it didn't work).

A difference on our heat versus your heat, Mark, is after the afternoon high of the high 90's or better, we will only cool off to 80 because of the humidity.  Still loverly.

---

It was 81 degrees, this morning, with a nice 7-10 mph wind.  I wanted to run 6 miles without accurately measuring the route, but only came up with 5.5 plodding miles.  Jeez, this temperature in the morning is the toughest that I've had to deal with.  Tomorrow, I'll do 8, then drive back to Houston with a stop in Victoria for some barbecue (yes, I can spell out BBQ Wink tongue ).

Except on the weekend, I haven't had breakfast for just about 2 weeks.  I could throw up a smokescreen saying that I'm doing Intermittent Fasting by not eating from 7 p.m. until noon the following day or 17 hours, but that wouldn't be true.  The truth is that I'm just not hungry in the mornings, even after a run. 

Until next time, America.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Most of my runs are before sunrise, or at least start before and I've had to either memorize side walks or just be careful when I'm on them because we have so many that are so uneven. So I'd watch for that!

It's interesting about the no breakfast. I have been waiting at least until I feel hungry but I'm hungry quite a bit of the time. 

Hang in there with the heat!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Interesting that you have enough energy to function without breakfast.  You don't lead a sedentary life.  They ask us every rehab session if we had breakfast that morning...even if it's an afternoon session.  They never ask about lunch.  We/I always eat breakfast but those who don't get a slight scolding/reminder.

Not sure I could tough it out in your conditions...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Julie wrote:Most of my runs are before sunrise, or at least start before and I've had to either memorize side walks or just be careful when I'm on them because we have so many that are so uneven. So I'd watch for that!

It's interesting about the no breakfast. I have been waiting at least until I feel hungry but I'm hungry quite a bit of the time. 

Hang in there with the heat!

nkrichards wrote:Interesting that you have enough energy to function without breakfast.  You don't lead a sedentary life.  They ask us every rehab session if we had breakfast that morning...even if it's an afternoon session.  They never ask about lunch.  We/I always eat breakfast but those who don't get a slight scolding/reminder.

Not sure I could tough it out in your conditions...

Thanks, y'all, for posting.

YES, Julie, on the sidewalks!  It doesn't take much of a difference to cause a splat. 

Nancy, whose to say that breakfast can't be at 10:30?  I would imagine there is something in the American Heart Association or whatever the group name for cardiologists that says a patient needs to or must eat breakfast in the mornings, if your docs keep asking.

The reason why I'm not eating breakfast is really because I'm not hungry.  And I've read many times over the decades of losing weight that if you're not hungry, don't eat.  Well, I finally executed that.  Hopefully when I do eat that I don't eat the number of calories for both lunch and breakfast at lunch.

Even when I was a carb-based eater, I wouldn't eat anything before running, unless it was longer than 15 miles, then I'd eat a bowl of cereal.  So, not eating before running is certainly not anything new, but the timing of the first meal has changed.  If I can get past 10:30 in the morning, then I'm good until 1 p.m.

But I do know that when I give platelets in the mornings, they'll ask me if I've eaten and I make sure that I've eaten 'something', so I'm not lying to them.  It must be a FDA requirement.

---

Last Friday, it was 82 degrees, but there was a breeze at 4:30 in the morning.  The goal was 8, but I only did 4.5 because I changed my route to do 4-2 mile loops thinking that I COULD fool my mind into thinking that coming by the hotel 3 times without stopping is very possible!  Couldn't fool my mind.  Some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug.

I also re-thought my not drinking water and running any distance.  I've read a couple of times that if it's hot and you're sweating like a pig that the loss of fluids makes the blood thicker and so the cascade effect is that you have to slow down, then eventually stop.  So, I'll go on that premise this week.  I'll drop off a water bottle off about halfway in my route to get some water into me and see if that helps the cause of running not as slow.  I'll have to find a spot to do the drop off and do it the night before.  Something to do on Tuesday night and Thursday night.

It's my last week in Corpus Christi and Robstown.  As flat as Houston is, Corpus is flatter.  So, for even the little rises on my usual Houston route, I'll have to get my legs used to those changes.  After all, I've been in Corpus since Memorial Day.

Next week will be a fun and hairy week getting everything related to the LLC up and running.  Hopefully, I can get it done in a couple of days, which means this blog will be grounded and a new one starting.

Y'all have a good week.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:14 pm

It was 81 degrees with a 5-7 mph south wind, this morning.  I ran the 3 mile route at around a 13:16 pace at a 168 cadence, which is a good time for the temps.  I hadn't ran since Friday's 4.5 mile run.  I was trying to push it a bit in pace because I've been slower than I want to be over the past couple of weeks.

It's a constant adjustment and tweaking with my running in this town and not twisting an ankle or placing my foot on what appears to be a solid surface, but isn't, has always been front and center during my runs, plus not getting hit by a car.  This has affected pace, which was why I was going to do 4-2 mile loops, last Friday because it had the most solid pavement with manageable traffic patterns.

And so it goes.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:15 pm

It's been 692 days (September 3, 2013), since the last 100 degree day in Houston, but we hit 100 at 3:38 p.m. and figure to have a few more over the next few days.  The average first day of 100 degree weather is July 24.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:14 am

Again, it was 81 degrees this morning with a light 5-7 mph wind.  This morning, I ran 6 miles at 168 cadence.  I was plodding along at a 14:11 pace for most of the miles.  The first two miles had a HR around 142, the 2nd two at 150 and the final two around 160.

One thing that I've noticed is that whether or not I am trying to increase the pace or not, the 168 cadence, done consistently, will make the HR go up over the course of the course.

I was sweating enough to make my shoes squishy, today.  That usually doesn't happen on a 6 mile run, which emphasizes how moist it really is in Corpus.

One more run on Friday, before leaving.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:45 pm

I slept in, this morning, but wouldn't you know it...it was 70 degrees this morning.  Our wind had shifted to ENE & lessened, yesterday evening, and the dewpoint was down 10 degrees as well.  I'll run in the morning and HOPE there is a similar temperature.

For tomorrow's run, I have 2 pint bottles of water that I'll plant in a couple of places on the 8 mile route, tonight.  Specifically, I'm looking for a stabilization of pace as a result of drinking the water.

Then, I'll bid Corpus Christi adieu after typing up my status report.  I have one more spreadsheet to update, but I can't do it until I receive a report from other people.  I'll miss the expense report eating.

Next week, I have a laundry list of items to complete before turning on the LLC.  I'm shooting for Wednesday to start.  Scary, yet, well, I don't think 'exciting' is the right word, but trail blazing for sure.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:46 pm

Friday morning, I ran 8 miles and the 2 water bottles were where I put them on Thursday evening.  The morning temp was 75 degrees, which is 4-7 degrees cooler than on prior mornings.

It went well.  Now that I'm back in Houston, drinking water won't be much of an issue, as I'll do it on runs longer than 5 miles.

And the weather folks are threatening a Sunday morning low of 68-70 degrees, which is pretty much unheard of in any summer month.  55 days until the average end of 90+ temps drops...to maybe 89.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:13 pm

Monday, I ran on the familiar ground of Memorial Drive and Memorial Park for 6.7 miles.  It was 75 degrees with a dewpoint of 71.  A weak cool front (specifically a wind shift line) produced some dewpoints in the high 60's over the weekend.  So, the weather was not as bad as it usually is in August.

I wasn't trying to be fast, rather just keep the HR lower and I would imagine my average was around 141.

Being back in Houston, I get to attend the Tuesday and Thursday workouts with Houston Fit.  Right now, Tuesdays are 'hill' work and Thursdays are tempo.  One session is at 5:30 a.m. and the other session is at 6:30 p.m at different locations, but nearby.  It lasts about an hour and the temp was around 74 degrees.

I went to the 5:30 session this morning and the course was some inclines that I run every time I come to Memorial Park, but I did them at a faster pace at 5/1 minute increments.  It felt fine and I was getting a little tired at the faster pace.

I'm going to go to the 6:30 session, this evening, even though the temps will be between 95 and 98.  The location will have more rolls in it because it will be near Buffalo Bayou about a mile and a half from downtown.  I'll wear my trail shoes, so I can get a little more traction AND I'll bring a dry cleaning bag to lay on the driver's seat because I will be very soaked. pale
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Playing a bit of catch-up here. You've been busy!

I can understand not feeling hungry in the morning. I've been experimenting with no food before a run, either, and it seems to be working pretty well. Though on a longer effort, that'll have to change.

Regarding water, have you ever tried a handheld? That way, you get a (small) arm workout at the same time, though you'd want to switch hands every mile or so to keep balanced out. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:32 pm

Mark B wrote:Playing a bit of catch-up here. You've been busy!

I can understand not feeling hungry in the morning. I've been experimenting with no food before a run, either, and it seems to be working pretty well. Though on a longer effort, that'll have to change.

Regarding water, have you ever tried a handheld? That way, you get a (small) arm workout at the same time, though you'd want to switch hands every mile or so to keep balanced out. Smile
Howdy, Mark, The Colombian.

Yes on the food before a long run, but I never did that to fuel the muscles because there's not enough time to get to the cells.  It's just a brain fog preventer.

As far as handheld water, I've always managed to run my routes in Houston to run by water fountains, so I don't get a cramp in my forearm.  Rolling Eyes   However, with Houston Fit, that's changing as I'll explain below.

Tuesday evening at 6:30, I went to the 2nd hill workout of the day.  I had an idea of what was going to happen because in the past, I've seen it as I'm driving along.  But doing is a helluva lot more than watching.  Now, I can't adequately explain to you non-flatlanders what I did, but let's say that I couldn't execute a simple flexion or extension on my left foot after it was over.  I thought that my heel bone was bruised, but after icing it Tuesday night and waking up on Wednesday morning, it's the lateral muscle that attaches to the front of the heel bone and goes along side of the Achilles to the calf.  In the mornings, it's tight but loosens up.  This morning was easier than yesterday morning.  As I'm typing this, I have the TENS working on it. 

Tuesday's gig started at 6:30 until 7:30 for the hills, then 30 minutes of core and soft yoga moves.  The director wouldn't let me do the workout without carrying some water, even though I told him that I have a half gallon of cold water in the car and I can do the workout without the water.  He gave me a bottle of water.  MAN, the cramping in my forearm carrying that 16 ounce bottle of water was non-existent. Wink  But I never drank any of the water.  I gave it back to him.  I didn't know we'd be doing core work afterwards, so I didn't bring a yoga mat, but I grabbed a space blanket out of the car and used that.  I was slippery with a lot of sweat, but I finished.

Tonight is a tempo run where I think we do a mile warm up, then a mile pretty fast, then a mile cool down, THEN core work.  I'll do what I can without hurting myself, as it's too early in the training to have a nagging injury.  If I do it without material pain, I'll run 6-9 tomorrow morning as my long run.

Now, where did I put that water?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:39 pm

ounce wrote:Howdy, Mark, The Columbian.

confused

Oh, you're seeing my work-related (and rarely used) public Facebook profile.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:06 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Howdy, Mark, The Columbian.

confused

Oh, you're seeing my work-related (and rarely used) public Facebook profile.
Now don't go editing my quotes.  It ruins the Emily Litella effect in my attempts at humor.  She and George Carlin-like twists make up a lot of what I can joke about.

Last edited by ounce on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed 'Her' to 'She')
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:47 am

I often use a space blanket for our core work after our Tuesday workouts in Cleveland, and since the side of CLE that I live on is flat, I can relate to those hill workouts.  I complain about it, but I know the hills here in western NY really do get me fit since they are impossible to avoid.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:39 pm

These group runs sound quite challenging...don't overdo it. 

I'm with you on carrying water.  I've done it on occasion but I don't like it.  I'd prefer to run a shorter loop and circle back by the water I've stashed....which won't work you your group runs.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Thank you, Miche1e and Nancy for commenting. 

The heat is the thing from which to adapt.  At 6:30 p.m., it's cooled from 99 to 91 with next week's highs to be 101-103, so that should be an interesting hill workout.  Gotta love a high pressure bigger than Texas and Oklahoma, I guess.

Thursday's tempo run had me running 3 miles in the 13 flat pace range, with core work afterwards.  My heel was fine, but I had some shin splint tightness that resolved itself by mile 2. 

My little group are all faster than me, which is nothing to me but it does give me something to shoot at, once it cools around September 20.

This morning, I wanted to run between 6.66 and 8.8 miles.  8.8 was the recorded distance and it was a good thing I wasn't interested in time because it was high (14:40 or so pace), but the HR was in the 140's and that works for me.  Waking up this morning, my heel was tight but it loosened up long before the run.  The epicenter sure feels like a bone bruise, but I guess that can't be since it tightens up, when just sitting.  I took a nap, this afternoon, and the heel tightened up.  So, I'm hitting it with the TENS while resting on a bag of frozen peas.

I'll post the actual splits later.

I know the core work will be really good for me and I hope to be lowering the weight, as the days roll along.  Y'all have a cool weekend for me, please.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:14 pm

Hope things cool down for you, too. 100+ in Texas doesn't sound fun at all.

Any thoughts on why your heel's been giving you trouble?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Mark B wrote:Hope things cool down for you, too. 100+ in Texas doesn't sound fun at all.

Thanks, Mark, but I'd save that hope for another time when it actually may be probable.  There's been one TV station in town that started this past Wednesday forecasting a high of 106 for Monday and Tuesday, when the three other stations were showing 102 and 103, respectively.  I suspect hyping the heat because there isn't much chance of a hurricane to drive viewership in August.

As far as the heel, I noticed it while running on Monday's 6.7 mile run with about a mile to go.  The only different thing was 8 weeks of running on very flat ground in Corpus, then the 'inclines' in Houston.  This morning, it was still tight, but loosened up as it had the past couple of days.  So, I'll just have to monitor it and do a good job of stretching it before a run.  It seems to really like ice and the TENS.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:59 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hope things cool down for you, too. 100+ in Texas doesn't sound fun at all.

Thanks, Mark, but I'd save that hope for another time when it actually may be probable.  There's been one TV station in town that started this past Wednesday forecasting a high of 106 for Monday and Tuesday, when the three other stations were showing 102 and 103, respectively.  I suspect hyping the heat because there isn't much chance of a hurricane to drive viewership in August.

As far as the heel, I noticed it while running on Monday's 6.7 mile run with about a mile to go.  The only different thing was 8 weeks of running on very flat ground in Corpus, then the 'inclines' in Houston.  This morning, it was still tight, but loosened up as it had the past couple of days.  So, I'll just have to monitor it and do a good job of stretching it before a run.  It seems to really like ice and the TENS.

Well, 106 sounds icky. Hope it's a "dry" heat.

That heel pain sounds suspiciously like PF, unless it's not on the underside. How's the condition of your shoes?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Well, 106 sounds icky. Hope it's a "dry" heat.

That heel pain sounds suspiciously like PF, unless it's not on the underside. How's the condition of your shoes?
Yesterday, it wasn't as humid when the air temp was 101 and the index was 104.  The dewpoint was in the low 70's, so it wasn't as bad as it could've been.  103 for today and 104 for Tuesday.  That's supposed to be it for 100's for the week as the High moves west a bit, BUT that will allow the humidity to sift our way from Louisiana.

As far as the heel, I looked on the world wide web and, yes, Dr. Mark, you may be on to something.  Most PF issues are heel related and not the area between the heel bone and the ball of the foot (like I thought PF issues were located).

My location is perfectly located for a heel strike bruise as it is located at the 7 o'clock position (birds eye view), however since my stride doesn't allow for heel strikes because my foot never gets past my knee, it must be PF.  Especially since the tightness goes away after a few minutes of walking in the morning.

One pair of shoes has about 250 miles and the other has 100 miles.  I am about to start a 3 pair rotation with a new pair.

I believe the causal factor was doing hills without stretching the lower leg, over doing it (sorry, Nancy), and not running anything other than the flats of Corpus.  Dr. Mark, please stop by the payment window for your usual fee.
Money

---

This morning was a 4 mile run that I ran around a 13:20 pace and low 140's HR with a temp of 77 and the dewpoint of 76 degrees.  I'm working on pushing the pace as much as 142 bpm or less will allow.  (I was only supposed to run 40 minutes, today.  shhhhh)

The schedule for the week says this is the last hill workout for a while (maybe longer), as next week we are replacing the hills with a track.  If this is true, then my PF heel just may heal on its own.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Stretch the calf and the foot, and you should be ok.  I get little bouts with PF once in a while and as long as you stretch (and try to remember to stretch) you can pretty much keep it at bay. And yes, the hills probably were the cause.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum: