365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howl at the Moon

4 posters

Go down

Howl at the Moon Empty Howl at the Moon

Post  carleenp Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:24 pm

For those who have done it, is there anything special I should know about it? I'm pretty sure my husband and I are doing it this year. I want to make it my first ultra run and Ken, who doesn't run, will just walk with his hiking boots on to test things out for our Glacier National Park hiking trip a few weeks later (we have 80 miles of hiking planned across two weeks).
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Howl at the Moon Empty Re: Howl at the Moon

Post  dot520 Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:29 pm

Charles is the king of this race but I've done it a few times myself.

3.29 mile loop, not technical at all, just a few rolls and then one asphalt hill that only becomes a killer because there is no shade and it's usually hot in August.  Well supported, great crowd, lots of fun!  I'm planning on being there again this year.

Perhaps Charles will chime in.

Oh, and Jeff has done this numerous times too.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 pm

great race and great for a first ultra - there is a little bit of shade, but not much. bit of grass, packed dirt/limestone, asphalt. Make friends with your lap counter b/c they will be your biggest cheerleader. I won the female race in 2012 and my counter, Sue, was more excited than I was. lots of fun!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:58 pm

This is a great event, I have done it four years in a row.  My first ultra and I go back every year because it is a great experience. Haven't decided this year, but will probably do it regardless of the shape I will be in; you can do as few or as many loops as you want.  Many people camp at the site on Friday and Saturday night; I live close enough I usually drive over for the Friday night festivities and then go home for a decent night of sleep.  FYI - they tap the kegs on Friday night and participants are welcome to help themselves to the beer whenever they want one.  For some this is nothing but for others it may be a nice surprise.

I would encourage you to register when it opens (usually in mid-April) as it will fill fast; usually within a couple weeks.

If you have specific questions, post them, either Charles or I will be able to answer them
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:35 pm

Sounds fun. I think we are doing it for sure, or at least I know that I am. We will probably get a hotel for Friday night and maybe Saturday too, although we could drive home that day. I don't have good camping gear anymore (I love to camp, but Ken not so much). I would like to at least do 50k and consider anything after that a bonus. 

Do people do anything special to train for this? I will be running a Marathon end of May and training for a fall one, so my miles should already be up there at the time of Howl.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 am

carleenp wrote:
Do people do anything special to train for this?

It depends on what your goals are...

FWIW - my least prepared year, I ran the most miles.  My only suggestion is if you mainly run road marathons, do some walking during your long training runs.  Most everyone does some walking in a timed ultra and if you have not trained for that it can be a challenge.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:54 am

Jeff F wrote:
carleenp wrote:
Do people do anything special to train for this?

It depends on what your goals are...

FWIW - my least prepared year, I ran the most miles.  My only suggestion is if you mainly run road marathons, do some walking during your long training runs.  Most everyone does some walking in a timed ultra and if you have not trained for that it can be a challenge.
I don't have any goal other than maybe get to 50k, which shouldn't be too hard for me. I like the walking idea, especially since I do indeed tend to mainly run road marathons. I'll do some of that. My husband I will also be doing a lot of weekend hiking, so I imagine that will help too. I already was planning to spend the summer running long on Sat and hiking fairly long on Sun (or vice versa). My husband needs to get in shape for a major hiking trip at the end of August.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down