365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RAK Half Marathon

+5
Mark B
mountandog
Jim Lentz
Michele "1L" Keane
Chris Coleman
9 posters

Go down

RAK Half Marathon Empty RAK Half Marathon

Post  Chris Coleman Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Conditions were ideal, with lots of PBs and, among the elite, 8 men under an hour and 9 women under 1:10. Those are both world records, though the winning times weren't.

It was not my finest performance. A year ago I should have been quite pleased, but I did 1:31:12 on a slow course on a warm day in December. This time, I was hoping for much better than 1:31:56. I did take 2nd Veteran (over 55), but four minutes behind the 1st Veteran, who had never beaten me before. He overtook me at 11 km and I just couldn't keep up. It was one of my key runs of the season, and I was really well trained.

Here's how it happened. The first inkling I had that anything was wrong was about 10:30 the night before. As usual, I got my kit together, attached my bib, checked my Garmin, looked for my shoes. I usually take two pairs of shoes. Two empty shoe bags. I contemplated returning to Abu Dhabi, but I would only just have got back in time for the start, even if I managed to stay awake at the wheel. I decided to ask around before the race. Must have looked pretty stupid in walking shoes. I didn't realise it, but this year they had a small fair, where there were two shoe shops. Delighted, I went to the Saucony one and asked for a pair of Kinvaras my size. They only had one. Fine. One shoe, not one pair. In fact, the whole shop was stocked with right shoes to save space, though I don't suppose it did much for sales. So I tried the other shop, which sold Newtons. Fine. Only women's Newtons, Huh? But they did also have some Salomons. I bought a pair. Almost big enough. Ten minutes before the scheduled start time. The Preferred Start pen was supposed to be closed by then, but I managed to get in. Have you ever tried running a road race in trail shoes?

Much embarrassment, but $680 prize money was some compensation.

I forgot to mention my feet. My right foot actually. Even after a week, it's really stiff.

What an idiot!!!!!!!
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

RAK Half Marathon Empty Re: RAK Half Marathon

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Sounds like the nightmare that you have during taper!  Glad you made a go of it, but take care of that foot, Chris.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Very nice job all things considered!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Ah.  Now that a good f'up.  Haven't done that one yet.  nice cash prize!!   Money
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 pm

I agree with Michele - it sounds like a taper nightmare, except for that whole winning $680 part.

I was half expecting you to give up and run the thing barefoot. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:03 am

Chris Coleman wrote:Two empty shoe bags.

there were two shoe shops. Delighted, I went to the Saucony one and asked for a pair of Kinvaras my size. They only had one. Fine. One shoe, not one pair. In fact, the whole shop was stocked with right shoes to save space, though I don't suppose it did much for sales.

So I tried the other shop, which sold Newtons. Fine. Only women's Newtons, Huh? But they did also have some Salomons. I bought a pair. Almost big enough. Ten minutes before the scheduled start time. 

Have you ever tried running a road race in trail shoes?
No sir, I have not. Better than fiction!

C U in April ... bring your shoes.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Looking back, it was all rather surreal - a mixture of nightmare and Alice in Wonderland - going around in walking shoes when most people are already lined up for the start, a right-foot-only shoe shop and, at the end of it, huge prize money. Partly made up for it last night by setting a new 6.8-kilometre, twice-round-the-park, over-60 course record, and winning a bottle of wine - not for the record, but for predicting my time precisely. Oh, and Saucony let me have a new pair of shoes at half price.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:02 am

Chris, that really sucked, but you gave me a heck of a smile this morning!  That is freaking hilarious!  I will be happy with your time and I am 43 and have two shoes!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:59 pm

KBFitz wrote:C U in April ... bring your shoes.
What? Both of them?
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Chris Coleman wrote:
What? Both of them?
Naw. Two left shoes ought to do. You can always buy a right show at the expo.  Smile
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:54 pm

KBFitz wrote:
Chris Coleman wrote:
What? Both of them?
Naw. Two left shoes ought to do. You can always buy a right show at the expo.  Smile
I'll be sure to arrive early and hop along to the expo.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:19 pm

But do you still hold the UK record for the race in January?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 pm

ounce wrote:But do you still hold the UK record for the race in January?
Yes, both 10K and 5K, but they are not records - just best age-group performances SO FAR this year, and the racing season hasn't really started yet. It's a curiosity of having my season out of sync with the UK. When I'm at my peak, they are doing their winter training.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Hmm quit the interesting race, with a good result. I have never done that with my shoes, but did leave my Garmin at home one year for Boston. Good thing Lisa is a runner too and that she brought hers with, then again I could always live without a watch for a race. Shoes now that is another story, unless I was Mark B! Smile Smile
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:32 pm

It has't been so good since. I was foolish the first week or so after the HM and did too much too fast. Now I'm suffering for it. The physio has me on 20 mpw of jogging. I started at 40, but he's a better negotiator. He's going to tell me tomorrow if I can do a 10K on Friday. I don't need a 10K, but it's my own club organising. I've never felt like this before, but I almost hope he'll make me marshal. I guess I should be mature enough to make my own decision whether to scratch, but I'm not.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Chris Coleman wrote:It has't been so good since. I was foolish the first week or so after the HM and did too much too fast. Now I'm suffering for it. The physio has me on 20 mpw of jogging. I started at 40, but he's a better negotiator. He's going to tell me tomorrow if I can do a 10K on Friday. I don't need a 10K, but it's my own club organising. I've never felt like this before, but I almost hope he'll make me marshal. I guess I should be mature enough to make my own decision whether to scratch, but I'm not.
We are runners I don't maturity is part of our make-up  when it comes to using common sense! Smile
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Schuey wrote:We are runners I don't maturity is part of our make-up  when it comes to using common sense! Smile
True. Perhaps it's because we don't feel our injuries when we're running hard.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down