365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

14-Year-Old Runs Marathons on Every Continent

5 posters

Go down

14-Year-Old Runs Marathons on Every Continent Empty 14-Year-Old Runs Marathons on Every Continent

Post  Nick Morris Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:00 am

So, this article gets into the debate on how young is too young to start running marathons.  The girl in the article is 14, but was 13 when she started her challenge of running a marathon on all continents.  Obviously at 13 (or 14 for that matter) she is not done growing.  Could running marathons at such a young age affect her growth or cause other issues?

http://news.discovery.com/adventure/14-year-old-runs-marathon-on-every-continent-131112.htm#mkcpgn=fbdsc8

Last edited by Nick Morris on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

14-Year-Old Runs Marathons on Every Continent Empty Re: 14-Year-Old Runs Marathons on Every Continent

Post  Jordan S. Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:53 am

WOW!!!
Jordan S.
Jordan S.

Back to top Go down

14-Year-Old Runs Marathons on Every Continent Empty Re: 14-Year-Old Runs Marathons on Every Continent

Post  Penelope Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:44 am

I think we'll be seeing more and more of this as kids doing distance running / marathons becomes trendy.  

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would not be excited by this at all.  I just don't think it's a good idea when they're still growing.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:44 pm

I think its cool.  Maybe I'll do this with my 9 year old and break the record.  In the right context I think its ok.  As long as its not about winning and times, etc.  Remember, it wasn't that long ago that women were considered to frail and weak to run marathons.  Might be the same ignorance with kids.  I just don't think we know yet.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Apparently her family has enough excess cash to finance this record. These types of records are exclusively for people with more money than they know what to do with, not to mention the health risks involved. More power to them if that's their thing, but I don't see it as even note worthy!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down