365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North Shore Half Race Report

+7
B
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Kenny B.
Schuey
Matt W
Dave-O
11 posters

Go down

North Shore Half Race Report Empty North Shore Half Race Report

Post  Dave-O Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:08 pm

And just like that, my spring racing season is over. I ran one marathon, two halfs, two 10-milers, one 8k, and two 5ks – and not a single PR. Needless to say, that wasn’t what I had in mind when I embarked on this training cycle in December.

Then again, I didn’t see my first career running injury coming. Even as I look back on it, I don’t know what caused it or when it first reared its ugly (femoral) head. All I know is that after the Austin Half Marathon, I was wrecked. The next eight weeks were a roller coaster of different diagnoses, drastically reduced mileage, mind-numbingly boring cross-training, and physical therapy. By the time I was able to run pain-free again, I had learned firsthand the effects of an injury.

That didn’t stop me, however, from sticking to my pre-injury plan of targeting the CARA Race Circuit that included 6 races in a 12 week span. I treated most of these races as workouts to help get my ass back in shape. But by the time the North Shore Half arrived, I had a solid 10 weeks of training under my belt, some decent results in tune-up races, and felt like I had a shot at 1:11-1:12. Even better, the weather for mid June was ideal: 55 degrees, low humidity and no wind.

The first six miles went almost perfect. I felt comfortable, smooth, and my splits were spot on: 5:33, 5:33, 5:27, 5:28, 5:35, and 5:29. The course was a little more rolling than I expected, but I didn’t feel like it affected me. Yet. Then mile 7 came. The only wrinkle in this course is a steep up and down, named Park Avenue Hill. You know when a race feels the need to name a hill its trouble. I came screaming down Park Avenue at the end of mile 7, and it resulted in my fastest split yet – 5:26. I knew though that my slowest split would soon follow, as running up this thing was a bitch. Mile 8 was 5:41.

Though pleased with not giving away too much time, I quickly realized that I was having real difficulty settling back into a rhythm. The smooth feeling from the first 6 miles was long gone. I had to really battle to even stay under 5:40 for miles 9 and 10, hitting them in 5:39 and 5:36. Knowing this was my last race until a return to base building, I was digging deep – going “into the well” if you will – for the last 5k. Unfortunately, sub-5:30 splits simply weren’t happening; I closed with miles of 5:41, 5:35 and 5:31, for a finishing time of 1:13:15.

Maybe it’s just my ability to rationalize, but I don’t view this race as a disappointment. Instead, I consider it proof that after hitting a significant bump in the road, I recovered and was able to get back to my pre-injury level of fitness. That’s important because now I’m ready to train for Chicago as hard as ever.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

North Shore Half Race Report Empty Re: North Shore Half Race Report

Post  Matt W Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Nice job, Dave. It's good to see you getting back to where you are used to running. I know that you still have room to improve, but it's impressive the way you have come back from injury. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of results you post this fall. It will be nice to actually be able to follow along with the training you do as well. Keep up the good work.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Dave I think that you are spot on by saying this race was not a disappointment! Your coming back and your mental toughest has been nails since your injury. There is no doubt that coming back from injury takes some time, I feeling that now myself after my dealings with piriformis syndrome. Keep at it buddy those PR's will come and the big one will fall on Oct. 9th! Looking forward to watching you have a kick ass year of running.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:51 pm

to quote you "I recovered and was able to get back to my pre-injury level of fitness. That’s important because now I’m ready to train for Chicago as hard as ever."

I would say it was a very good cycle all considering. cheers
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Dave,

Good job getting back from the injury. As you are going to train harder, years of running are catching up to you as well. Please do be careful and solicit injury prevention advise in your circle. If you ask me, I would say 70miles/week.

Risk and reward always pair. Train hard and smart, a breakout shall come. flower
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Dave-O wrote: The next eight weeks were a roller coaster of different diagnoses, drastically reduced mileage, mind-numbingly boring cross-training, and physical therapy. By the time I was able to run pain-free again, I had learned firsthand the effects of an injury.

Man, can I relate to that statement.
I'd say, given the last few months of dealing with your first real injury, you finished up the Spring on a very strong, encouraging note as you start to look towards Chicago.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  B Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:02 am

Great job Dave and wonderful outlook on the fulfillment from the race back from injury!

b
B
B

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Nice job coming back from the injury, Dave.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:46 pm

Nice run Dave! I ran that last year for a 1/2 PR and first time breaking 1:30. Thought the hill was steep, but over before it started, kind of over rated! I liked the course and mile 11 was a stones throw from my first apartment in Chicagoland 1984. Anywho, hope the injury stays at bay and the road ahead is smooth for ya! Finishing up some PT myself, seems like the injury devil has been loose lately in Chi-town!

Last edited by fostever on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Rebuilding after an injury or overtraining is one of the bigger challenges out there.

This last race shows you're making good progress, though. You'll get it back, and then some.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 am

Dave, nice race. Your attitude going forward is good and I hope you get the PR that you seek. Runners at your caliber must have a hard time getting new PR's because you are running so fast as it is. It must be the slimmest of margins. It reminds me of golfers. It is easy to improve your handicap in the beginning but the better you get the harder it is to move the needle. Much easier for a 15 handicapper to go to 10 than a 1 handicapper going to a scratch. You are already a scratch runner and the next step is right there but hard to reach. You'll get there!
Good luck with Chicago training.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down