365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clawing My Way Back

+26
healdgator
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
jon c
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Tom H
Liz R
Seth Harrison
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Matt W
Jerry
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Dave-O
Michael Mitchell
30 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty Re: Clawing My Way Back

Post  Paula Sue Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 pm

I so feel your pain, Michael Sad Now that I'm home, I'm REALLY in running withdrawl...not that I ran during 'the adventure' because we all know I didn't. But now I'm supposed to be able to get 'back to normal'. Reading what you are going through on a daily basis is letting me see I'm not alone. I know it's frustrating...and hopefully we both will come out on the other side stronger and ready to compete. Keep your head up and I'll try to do the same.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Tom H wrote:Michael, I recently read a different approach to icing the Achilles, not to be used instead of the ice massage, but rather in addition. It is like a focused ice bath where you take a small garbage can and fill it with ice/water, then submerge the affected foot up to mid calf for about 15 seconds, then remove for a minute and repeat about 10 times 2x/day. It is supposed to really stimulate blood flow to the whole area since it is at the pointy end of the extremity. Next time I get any significant niggle down there I'll give it a go. Especially if we are still in the 90's. Maybe an ice bath for the Achilles and an icy Margarita for me out in the gazebo Very Happy

From what I have been told. Ice for 10-15 minutes then use warm compress for 10 minutes. Ice brings down the inflammation warm circulates the blood.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Paula Sue wrote:I so feel your pain, Michael Sad Now that I'm home, I'm REALLY in running withdrawl...not that I ran during 'the adventure' because we all know I didn't. But now I'm supposed to be able to get 'back to normal'. Reading what you are going through on a daily basis is letting me see I'm not alone. I know it's frustrating...and hopefully we both will come out on the other side stronger and ready to compete. Keep your head up and I'll try to do the same.

Gosh, I feel you. I had to stop running for two weeks due to PF. I had to resort to Aqua Jogging. Not good. Hang in there. We are troopers.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Tom H wrote:Michael, I recently read a different approach to icing the Achilles, not to be used instead of the ice massage, but rather in addition. It is like a focused ice bath where you take a small garbage can and fill it with ice/water, then submerge the affected foot up to mid calf for about 15 seconds, then remove for a minute and repeat about 10 times 2x/day. It is supposed to really stimulate blood flow to the whole area since it is at the pointy end of the extremity. Next time I get any significant niggle down there I'll give it a go. Especially if we are still in the 90's. Maybe an ice bath for the Achilles and an icy Margarita for me out in the gazebo Very Happy

From what I have been told. Ice for 10-15 minutes then use warm compress for 10 minutes. Ice brings down the inflammation warm circulates the blood.

I heard that too. Today, I am going to run at home before I pick up my son. With it being cool (yes, it is 71 degrees outside..woo hoo and...RAINING), it should be a cool run at home. The compression socks seem to being doing the job. I have an orthotic appointment tomorrow for adjustments. I will grind out a 6 miler today if I have to. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

I heard that too. Today, I am going to run at home before I pick up my son. With it being cool (yes, it is 71 degrees outside..woo hoo and...RAINING), it should be a cool run at home. The compression socks seem to being doing the job. I have an orthotic appointment tomorrow for adjustments. I will grind out a 6 miler today if I have to. Smile

Enjoy the run!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Enjoy the run!

I will try...Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty Know The Problem

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:38 pm

I know what is causing the gastrocs to knot up. When my othotic folks adusted for the Achilles, they forgot to adjust the right insert. That caused the knots to form on my gastroc. That will be fixed tomorrow. Ran a 45:00 6 miler and it was disgusting. Hot, humid and I hated almost all of it. Had to stop once for 20 seconds to massage the gastrocs. I will run a very easy 5 miler tomorrow morning and a 6 miler in the afternoon. I have an appointment at 9:30 am at the orthotic place. The Achilles is actually much better. I guess all that massaging and adjusting is finally working. I have 21 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:I know what is causing the gastrocs to knot up. When my othotic folks adusted for the Achilles, they forgot to adjust the right insert. That caused the knots to form on my gastroc. That will be fixed tomorrow. Ran a 45:00 6 miler and it was disgusting. Hot, humid and I hated almost all of it. Had to stop once for 20 seconds to massage the gastrocs. I will run a very easy 5 miler tomorrow morning and a 6 miler in the afternoon. I have an appointment at 9:30 am at the orthotic place. The Achilles is actually much better. I guess all that massaging and adjusting is finally working. I have 21 miles this week.

Finally the solution.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:I know what is causing the gastrocs to knot up. When my othotic folks adusted for the Achilles, they forgot to adjust the right insert. That caused the knots to form on my gastroc. That will be fixed tomorrow. Ran a 45:00 6 miler and it was disgusting. Hot, humid and I hated almost all of it. Had to stop once for 20 seconds to massage the gastrocs. I will run a very easy 5 miler tomorrow morning and a 6 miler in the afternoon. I have an appointment at 9:30 am at the orthotic place. The Achilles is actually much better. I guess all that massaging and adjusting is finally working. I have 21 miles this week.

Finally the solution.

Well, we are getting there. My pedorthist, that is her official title, told me that this takes time. She is right. The Achilles is slowly getting better. My gastrocs, well there was another tweak today. This one too, will take time. She told me to take the day off running ( I am..30 minute swim and 45 minute bike ride) and gently run 5 miles tomorrow to get the kinks out. When I started walking in the adjusted orthotics, same knot. Get this, by the time one hour has rolled by, the knot issues have decreased, I would say, 20 percent. Goodness gracious.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty Did Not Run At All

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:23 am

Nope, crazy day. Gave my legs a total break. No biking and no swimming. That is ok. This morning, 5 miles at an 8 minute pace watching Wimbledon. That is to get the heart and legs going. Then, 6 miles this afternoon. I can tell you that the gastrocs have really backed off. Thank goodness for my orthotics. My Achilles, although wakes up sore, does loosen up while walking. Going to watch tennis, then work and then run. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty Calf Attack

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 am

Started at an 8 minute pace then progressed to a 7:30 pace at the end. One word of caution, my Soleus is now acting up on me. Sigh. I had a calf "heart" attack at the very end. I was very uncomfortable on this run. It was extremely humid and hot. Maybe today will be better. I am thinking 8 minute pace the whole way. I will have to have adjustments made on the orthotics again. Oh, the Achilles is much better. It was a 38:30 for 5 miles. I will say this. I did not warm up. Maybe that was a problem. I have 26 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty Rethinking Today

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:26 am

I might and I mean just might, just put in an hour bike ride today. The gastroc and upper Soleus is sore. Now, I can massage it out, but I do know I am going to have to have the orthotics adjusted. She got the gastroc right, but the Soleus needs help. The Achilles is slowly getting better. I still want the 5-6 miler this afternoon running. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:38 am

I hope you get to run, I know it just makes everything go better when you can. I hope you heal up, regardless!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:43 am

Julie wrote:I hope you get to run, I know it just makes everything go better when you can. I hope you heal up, regardless!

I want to. I really, really want to. The compression sock seems to be helping. Around noon, stick time. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 am

Mike hope you get everything figured out. It seems you are working all angles on this!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Mike hope you get everything figured out. It seems you are working all angles on this!

I am trying Kenny. I swear. One gets cleared up and another flares up. Oh well. I will tell you this. One way or the other, I will get this fixed this summer. My DC is actually open this Friday. Woo Hoo. That is the good news. The bad news is no ART patients. Yeah, I could really use some ART today, but he said no. I am going to call at 3 pm to see if I can sweet talk him into just seeing me. That will keep me well enough to grind a 6-7 miler until Monday for the orthotics ( Well, I am hoping they see me Monday..there is a chance they will not). If not, ART Monday as well. I am not sure if I can run today. Still knotty in the lower gastroc. Sigh.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Did you try ART for the calf?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty ART

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Yeah, but my DC can really get to it. I mean deep to loosen it up. I just have not had the time today to really get at it.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty No ART Until Monday

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Nope, Nada, Zilch. I will have to do it on my own. Right now, not good enough to run on. I do know I will be there at 9 am on Monday. He is swamped today (50-60) people and just does not have enough time. Maybe this is a good thing, for he closed on Fridays because the lack of business. Fridays are the best time for me to get there. Humm...
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty Still Wanting To

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:46 pm

I would love to run today. I have decreased the knot alot since yesterday morning. I am still working on it ( ART and the Stick). Game time decision, we shall see by 5 pm. If not, then Monday at 7:30 am, then ART at 9 am then Orthotic appointment at 4 pm. I am trying to get this nipped in the bud. The run would be between a 7:54-8 minute pace and will have to be monitored every 10 minutes for increased tightness. If the tightness occurs, massage for 20 seconds and keep going.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty Nope

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Not today. Not tomorrow. I think Monday is iffy too. Wow. I tried to run and the seizing started at the lower soleus and into the calf. Man, I am soooo bummed. I swear. I get the Achilles fixed and now this. This is totally the orthotics too. Well, I will do Pilates tonight and try to get some biking in. Man, I tell you. I am sooo bummed. I have not had this seize up since 2008 and so I am really bummed. Again, it will take some tweaking on both ends ( ART and Orthotics) to get this right again. Damn!!!!
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty Tentative Schedule

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Well, without running, this is what I have. Each day:

30 minutes swimming
45 minutes biking...

That should keep me in shape for the upcoming week, if I have to stop running. Right now, Monday will be a decider for the upcoming week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 4 Empty To Add To My Futher Misery

Post  Michael Mitchell Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:06 am

To add to my further misery, my lower back hurts. Sigh. So let us do the count, for those scoring at home:

1. Achilles Tendon (is still hurting)
2. Lower Gastroc and Calf ( spasms)
3. Lower back pain ( when I bend over and sit down)

Ahh, I love old age. LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:10 am

I hope you're able to come through dealing with all that.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 am

I hope you heal up and are patient enough to not push it and injure yourself. I know it takes much self control to not run when injured. Hang in there.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next