365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pros and cons on 3 shoes

+3
mul21
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Go down

Pros and cons on 3 shoes Empty Pros and cons on 3 shoes

Post  ounce Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:45 pm

I bought 3 pairs of shoes, this evening, to replace my Vomero 6 and 7.

It appears the Vomeros are too cushy for how I am running, now.  I've lost about 25 pounds since May and the need for a cushy shoe appears to be waning from when I was 210-230 pounds.  I'm now 185.  I was looking for a less cushioned ride, but not devoid of cushioning.

So, I need y'alls input on the three candidates of which I could not distinctly declare a winner.  I narrowed down to the final 3 from a pool of 7 pairs.  I run for the Houston marathon in January and am doing ~35 miles per week, up to the low 40's.  I am presently recovering from a bio-mechanical issue with my feet, probably exacerbated by the softness.

Here are the contenders:
1.  Brooks PureFlow 2:  8.5 ozs.
2.  Asics Gel Excel33 2:  9.6 ozs
3.  Saucony Kinvara 4  7.9 ozs

I have 30 days to test drive these 3 and keep one of them.  If they feel good enough, I'll purchase another pair and run Houston in them.  Thanks for your time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Pros and cons on 3 shoes Empty Re: Pros and cons on 3 shoes

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Unlike Mark, I'm not a fan of low drop shoes, and the pure flows fall into that  category as do the kinvaras but I like them ok .  That is personal though and you really have to try them on your own. Lightweight is good as I try to wear the lightest shoe I can even for a marathon. But I will tell you that even my racing flats are an 8 mm drop.  

I tried pureflows and for me they didn't work. I got reinjured. But again we are an experiment of one.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm in Michele's camp in not liking the lower drop shoes.  I've been having good luck with the NB 890 I've been wearing (I'm currently on my 3rd pair).  They're light (9.6 oz or so) and have adequate cushioning.  They are a neutral shoe, but NB 870 is the version with a little bit of support.

I've had good luck with Asics (Speedstars and DS Trainers) over the years and have actually looked at the ones you mention, but haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:47 pm

I've done regular drop, low drop and zero drop... and I've found that the MOST important factor to consider in trying a shoe isn't drop (and Nike has put me in all sorts of different drops as a tester, so I'm maybe not as much a zealot as some might think.). It's how well the shoe fits your foot. 

First:(And most important) Does it fit the shape of your foot? (I, for example, have a curved foot, so Brooks shoes -- which tend to be straighter-lasted -- don't work well for me.) That overall fit is critical.

Second: How much room does it give your toes? A lot of shoes have what I call "torpedo toes" - that tend to compress your toes down into a narrow rounded front. It looks fast, but unless your foot is built that way, it's horrible for mechanics. The shoes should have enough room to wiggle your toes - including the little piggy that went wee-wee-wee all the way home. 

Third: Cushion. Does it feel super-soft? Not the greatest choice, probably, because it'll create an unstable platform underfoot.

Last: Weight. None of these shoes are overly heavy. Any of them would be great.

I've run in the Saucony Peregrine, which is based on the Kinvara (I may have had the Kinvara on at one point, too.) and I liked them a lot. But its mostly because they fit my feet well, not because they have a 4 mm drop. 

So, IMHO, focus on Rule #1. If the shoe doesn't feel good on, don't buy it. Also, make sure the seller has a return/exchange policy in case you realize the shoe isn't working out. Most good running stores will at least allow you to try out a different model.

Good luck!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks for the comments.  All three of the shoes are comfortable to have on my feet.  All things being equal on how my feet feel, the Saucony's feel the best.  It's almost a hand-in-glove feeling.

And the store from where I purchased them have a 30 day return policy, as long as I have the receipt.

So, I'm going to wear them tomorrow while I run my errands and run on them next week and the week after.  The Asics have the wildest color scheme.

If I don't feel right in any of the three of them, I liked the Adidas Boston 4 shoes.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:01 am

Got about 100 miles on my Pure Flows. Ran a Half marathon in them and developed blisters on the balls of my feet. Not sure why since they felt excellent and still have a great feel. I may have raced in them too early or the split toe caused some weird effect.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:40 pm

I've concentrated on the Kinvaras for being evaluated.  The toe box is a bit tight, compared to prior year's running shoes.  I'm going to re-lace the shoes in the hope of freeing up a little more width.  Otherwise, I might have to get some EE width.  And this is with the PT's arch support in the shoe.

The Asics are out of the picture and the PureFlows are on deck.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Tight toe box is not a good sign. You need to let those little piggies breathe...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Mark B wrote:Tight toe box is not a good sign. You need to let  those little piggies breathe...
So Mr. Barefoot is passing out shoe advice now?  StirPot
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:46 pm

mul21 wrote:
Mark B wrote:Tight toe box is not a good sign. You need to let  those little piggies breathe...
HAHAHA!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
mul21 wrote:
HAHAHA!!!
Yowzer!!  (He must be full of wisdom, since turning the Big Five-0.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Yup.  I'm also told I need to wear them more so the upper loosens up some.  Guess that's part of the 'break-in' process.  I have about 3 weeks to do that, before I need to either return them or keep them.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:12 pm

I love the pure flow 2.  About a year ago, I made the switch from asics to brooks and I love the lightness.

But yeah, shoes are personal and the only way to figure out what works for you is to experiment.  Good luck!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down