365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Participate in Acts of Defiance

3 posters

Go down

Participate in Acts of Defiance Empty Participate in Acts of Defiance

Post  Martin VW Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 am

Some really cool stuff is happening here that I thought I'd share. I hope maybe similar things are happening in other parts of the country, either in the running community or more broadly. Really, it comes down to Americans showing our strength in small ways by showing these cowards we will not be beaten.

People are already talking about running the race and attending the race next year. You can expect that it will be harder than ever to register, so train hard for that BQ - 5 / 10 / 15!

The Red Sox hung a jersey in their dugout last night saying "Boston Strong" and with the number 617 (Boston's area code).

Ticket prices on the secondary market for the Bruins game tonight have tripled. People want to go to show that they are not afraid (my personal view is the the marathon was not targeted because it is a race, but because it is a sporting event conducted on a global scale).

Area runners are vowing to run whatever the remaining distance of the course is that they weren't able to cover, and cross the finish line, as soon as the area is re-opened (still closed as a crime scene).

I'm hoping that someone will organize a run/walk of the full course sometime soon to raise money for the victims. Hopefully, people will do the same in your towns.

I know this was covered in another thread, but I wore my Boston 2012 shirt yesterday to a gym where my son skates on a hockey treadmill (interesting device). It was immediately acknowledged by the staff. I said "They aren't going to win." The sentiment was acknowledged.

I plan to wear my Boston gear proudly, wherever I can, for the foreseeable future. My hope is it can help others to see that we are united. If "Boston Strong" or "Run 617" t shirts become available, I'll buy them and wear them proudly, too.

Good luck to all of you!
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Participate in Acts of Defiance Empty Re: Participate in Acts of Defiance

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks, Martin. I went to the Red Sox - Indians game last night after I returned. The flag was at half mast, the players wore black arm bands, and there was a moment of silence to begin the game. I proudly wore my Boston 2013 attire. I will make sure to go and re-live where I was when I go back to pick up my daughter from school in May.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:11 am

A grassroots effort to cover the last 5 miles had to get postponed when the number of participants almnost immeduiately swelled to 16,000!

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2013/4/17/4234142/boston-college-boston-marathon-bombings-the-last-five-miles-walk

City officials are (understandably) asking that nothing be organized just yet, but I'm sure at some time in the not-too-distant-future, there will be an event.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:11 am

Good stuff VW.

Now I'm glad that Max told me to buy the Boston Marathoner jacket in 2008. I did. I believe that was the last year the Marathoner was offered. It really makes a statement (see image below).

I have never worn it ... ever ... until this week. I will wear it to the London Marathon expo tomorrow, to the start and after the finish on Sunday. The Virgin London Marathon organizers are requesting all runners wear black armbands and will observe a 30 second moment of silence before the start.

Participate in Acts of Defiance Boston10

I will wear the colors of the race with pride on the streets of London.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 am

We just organized a run tomorrow morning from the local store whose colors I wore on Monday. I might be walking, but the point will be accomplished.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:21 pm

The "official" charity org set up to help victims is called One Fund Boston. My employer and my local running club are going to donate to this organization, as opposed to any number of others, as a way of having as much as possible get to the intended folks. The "bib" logo is awesome.

http://onefundboston.org/

Participate in Acts of Defiance OneFundFlag-sm

Also, the "official" commemorative ribbon seems to have the slogan "Boston Strong" in the colorts of the BAA. Coming soon, I'm sure, to a T shirt near you. If you don't have a Boston Marathon garb (or even if you do), you can still show your support.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum