365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barkley Marathons...I couldn't read this story without laughing out loud the whole way through

+10
Ken Cushing
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Schuey
Julie
mountandog
Ben Z
wrichman
dot520
Seth Harrison
14 posters

Go down

Barkley Marathons...I couldn't read this story without laughing out loud the whole way through Empty Barkley Marathons...I couldn't read this story without laughing out loud the whole way through

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/sports/the-barkley-marathons-few-know-how-to-enter-fewer-finish.html?pagewanted=1&ref=sports
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Barkley Marathons...I couldn't read this story without laughing out loud the whole way through Empty Re: Barkley Marathons...I couldn't read this story without laughing out loud the whole way through

Post  dot520 Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks for posting this, Seth! It made for a good read this afternoon, during lunch. I had read an abbreviated report about this race in a trade magazine...RW? RT? This was cool!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Barkley Marathons...I couldn't read this story without laughing out loud the whole way through Empty Re: Barkley Marathons...I couldn't read this story without laughing out loud the whole way through

Post  wrichman Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/sports/the-barkley-marathons-few-know-how-to-enter-fewer-finish.html?pagewanted=1&ref=sports

Great write up about this race. I first heard about Barkley 2 years ago, and I still think it's insane. Having said that, I have a few friends that are thinking about attempting it in the next couple years. Shocked
The guys from The 3 Non Joggers podcast interviewed Gary Cantrell (race director) a few years ago about the race. It was hilarious.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm

A friend of mine has tried two or three times now. He made it past three loops a few years ago but couldn't finish the fourth loop. From his stories it's harder than we could ever imagine.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Ben Z wrote:A friend of mine has tried two or three times now. He made it past three loops a few years ago but couldn't finish the fourth loop. From his stories it's harder than we could ever imagine.

hats off to him - just for trying it! 3 loops is amazing.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 am

I read about this a while back too. I keep asking myself "WHY?"
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Sounds like two guys finished it this year. Making each the 13th and 14 men ever to finish.

I believe the first cut finished in just under 58 hours and the second guy just under 59 hours. There is a 60 hour cutoff.

Hopefully a woman will be able to finish it within the next few years.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:21 pm

I just keep thinking a phrase one of my old roommates would use "I'm not doing that; I like myself."
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 pm

Ben Z wrote:Sounds like two guys finished it this year. Making each the 13th and 14 men ever to finish.

I believe the first cut finished in just under 58 hours and the second guy just under 59 hours. There is a 60 hour cutoff.

Hopefully a woman will be able to finish it within the next few years.

ME! lol! yeah right
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:52 am

That's a great idea, Whitney! We'd all cheer you on!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Yeah this has been a race on my radar and has always interested me. To be honest before I think about doing this I would like to do Badwater and also try to complete the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning. Which is completing Western States, Vermont, Leadville and Wasatch Front 100 milers all in a single summer.

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Wow, sounds like a tough race. I love a good challenge, but am not sure how far I would get in this race. It would be fun to see how far I could go, though.

Thanks for the read...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:56 pm

I'll likely apply for Western States next year Schuey if interested. Probably going to take a couple of years to get in through the lottery.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Ben Z wrote:I'll likely apply for Western States next year Schuey if interested. Probably going to take a couple of years to get in through the lottery.

You know that might not be a bad idea. Still debating if I want to make WS my first 100 miler. Hmm all the tough decisions I must make. I do know that I'm going to be doing a lot more ultras, there is just something that I found so darn attractive about running 50 miles or more!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Schuey wrote:
You know that might not be a bad idea. Still debating if I want to make WS my first 100 miler. Hmm all the tough decisions I must make. I do know that I'm going to be doing a lot more ultras, there is just something that I found so darn attractive about running 50 miles or more!

That just sounds silly...lol!lol!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:

That just sounds silly...lol!lol!

Agreed!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Schuey wrote:
Ben Z wrote:I'll likely apply for Western States next year Schuey if interested. Probably going to take a couple of years to get in through the lottery.

There is always Mohican or Buckeye Trail - and I'm here to crew.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cushing Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:41 am

Schuey wrote:

I tried to make WS my first 100. I think I calculated that year that I had a 13% chance of getting in. Needless to say I didn't get in. Come run the Wasatch 100. It is a beautiful course. Though a little tougher. But not as tough as Hard Rock. Not that there is an easy 100 miler.
Ken Cushing
Ken Cushing

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Ken Cushing wrote:
Schuey wrote:

I tried to make WS my first 100. I think I calculated that year that I had a 13% chance of getting in. Needless to say I didn't get in. Come run the Wasatch 100. It is a beautiful course. Though a little tougher. But not as tough as Hard Rock. Not that there is an easy 100 miler.

That just not be a bad ides I was also thinking of Kettle Moraine possible as my first one.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 am

Ken Cushing wrote:
Schuey wrote:

Yeah, I know the odds of getting in to WS first time are not good, but I gotta try. The trails up north are starting to feel like my home trails as I am spoiled and get to run on them at least once/week.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:33 pm

That's just too awesome for words. Thanks for posting.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cush Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Oh. Now that we are back to original topic...
Seth that is hilarious but only because it is so out there. I'm not sure what your frame of mind would have to be to consider such a thing. But maybe I'm just saying that because I know I would get lost. I have a hard enough time making it through a 100 mile race that has a trail more or less the entire way and is marked fairly well.

cush

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Hilarious! But what a way to prove you're alive. Hats off to anyone that attempts such a feat!
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Schuey wrote:
Ken Cushing wrote:
Schuey wrote:

That just not be a bad ides I was also thinking of Kettle Moraine possible as my first one.
I ran the last 38 miles of Kettle Moraine with a friend who did it. It is a pretty good local race.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down