365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympics Track & Field

+18
Jerry
Admin
healdgator
Dave-O
wendy_miller
Chris Coleman
Michael Mitchell
Diego
Mike MacLellan
ssilvert
Michele "1L" Keane
Matt W
Mark B
Schuey
Martin VW
Chris M
mountandog
Alex Kubacki
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Olympics Track & Field - Page 2 Empty Re: Olympics Track & Field

Post  Michael Mitchell Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Yeah, NBC's coverage was a abysmal. I heard the BBC's was great. Rupp was a great. I mean the last 200 was wait we all have been waiting for. Ever since 2008, I knew eventually he would grow into this. Farah was magnificent. That last lap was just vintage great.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:03 pm

1. Bolt is a non-human. Unreal.

2. Not one US man in the 400m final. Beyond stunning even with Merritt pulling up in qualifying. It's doubtful they'll win the relay now which is even more stunning.

3. I think Rupp, as awesome as the silver is, bows a little too much to Farrah. I think it prevents him from challenging him. IMO.

4. Didn't see the marathon. I don't know what happened to Flannigan.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:1. Bolt is a non-human. Unreal.

2. Not one US man in the 400m final. Beyond stunning even with Merritt pulling up in qualifying. It's doubtful they'll win the relay now which is even more stunning.

3. I think Rupp, as awesome as the silver is, bows a little too much to Farrah. I think it prevents him from challenging him. IMO.

She ran well, but just doesn't have the wheels of the others quite yet.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 am

Marathon looked particularly painful. Wonder if the Kenyan who grabbed both bottles at mile 24 knew she wasn't going to hold pace? That looked more like a cycling move than a running move, to me.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:02 am

I do wonder if that will be a harbinger of things to come August 12...?
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Olympics Track & Field - Page 2 Empty Olympic Tweet

Post  wendy_miller Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:42 am

Look who is over in London making Olympic Twitter feeds:

https://twitter.com/karagoucher/status/232469037702062080/photo/1
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:48 am

Martin VW wrote:Amazing how different people's perspectives can be. Local sports talk hosts called the 10K excruciatingly boring to watch and said they couldn't stand watching guys run 25 laps on a track.

In contrast, I was disappointed they went away to commercial three times in thirty minutes.

I agree with on that I was a little bummed at the commercial breaks. What a great race to watch!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:58 am

Diego wrote:

The world is catching up with the US in the sprints, US sprints I think need to start putting their ego in check and start training a little harder and focusing in because the like I said the rest of the world is starting to develop so awesome runners in the sprints.

Yes Bolt is un real.

Rupp ran an awesome race with such an awesome finishing kick!

I agree with Diego she ran well, I think the course layout got to her and some other runners as the race went on. She started to make a nice move around mile 20 to 24 to catch back up to lead pack to grab a medal but looked just ran out of gas towards the end. I don't know the exact numbers but she was only a little off her marathon PR so all in all a good day. I would have to say she didn't just go out and run a safe race like others did. It was also amazing watching the move the Russian made late in the race to catch the lead pack, I really thought she was going to win it. And how about the world champion Kenya who just completely fell apart!

Sad to see that Desi was injured and didn't get to race it.

All in all I felt that the women's marathon was ok nothing that made me jump out of seat while my Kristina and watched it lived. Nothing like what the last few Boston finishes for the women. I hoping that the mens race provides some better fireworks this coming Suday.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Marathon looked particularly painful. Wonder if the Kenyan who grabbed both bottles at mile 24 knew she wasn't going to hold pace? That looked more like a cycling move than a running move, to me.

I think the course they are running on and having to run that loop is really changing the strategy of how the race will be run. Really interesting layout if you ask me. Heck the way the aid stations are laid out I wonder if we will see any man fall like the Ethiopian runner.

Last edited by Schuey on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:00 pm

1. RUPP! RUPP! RUPP! First American medal in the 10k since 1964. One of the most exciting races I've ever watched. I had a few non-running friends over and even they were glued to the TV.

2. I was bummed Ritzenhein let the lead pack gap him around lap 15. He caught up and moved to 6th at one point, but worked so hard to do so, had no kick left.

3. I think Bolt just proved that he does, in fact, have an "on/off" button.

4. Gay runs the fifth fastest 100m in Olympic history and doesn't medal. Brutal.

5. Glad Sonya Richards-Ross got an individual gold.

6. Not a bad showing by Goucher and Flanagan, but it shows they still aren't on that level yet. Flanagan is still new to the event, but I do fear Kara's best days are behind her.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Schuey wrote:
Diego wrote:

The world is catching up with the US in the sprints, US sprints I think need to start putting their ego in check and start training a little harder and focusing in because the like I said the rest of the world is starting to develop so awesome runners in the sprints.

Yes Bolt is un real.

Rupp ran an awesome race with such an awesome finishing kick!

I agree with Diego she ran well, I think the course layout got to her and some other runners as the race went on. She started to make a nice move around mile 20 to 24 to catch back up to lead pack to grab a medal but looked just ran out of gas towards the end. I don't know the exact numbers but she was only a little off her marathon PR so all in all a good day. I would have to say she didn't just go out and run a safe race like others did. It was also amazing watching the move the Russian made late in the race to catch the lead pack, I really thought she was going to win it. And how about the world champion Kenya who just completely fell apart!

Sad to see that Desi was injured and didn't get to race it.

All in all I felt that the women's marathon was ok nothing that made me jump out of seat while my Kristina and watched it lived. Nothing like what the last few Boston finishes for the women. I hoping that the mens race provides some better fireworks this coming Suday.

Well said, Martin.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Dave I do believe that Rupp is only the 3rd of 4th in 100 years to medal in the 10k for men?

I agree I think Kara's days are behind her in the marathon. I feel she ran a good race but more so because she ran safe the whole day. I really didn't she her take any chances or make any moves to try to medal. But with that being said I still felt that her 11th place finish was good and that she gave 100% just that I have never been sold on her as a marathoner.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Olympics Track & Field - Page 2 Empty Two Guys That Totally Deserved This Moment

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Farah and Rupp.....

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/track-and-field/highlights-mens-10-000m-medal-ceremony.html
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Olympics Track & Field - Page 2 Empty For Those That Missed Rupp and Farah

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:11 pm

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/track-and-field/highlights-mo-farah-wins-10-000m-galen-rupp-takes-silver.html

What a race...what a race!!!
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:22 pm

I have no idea what happened to Tony McQuay in the 400m, but it sucks to see several runners in the 400 final that couldn't touch McQuay on most days. I don't know if he is hurt or just stunk it up. He's young and he'll be back, but he let a huge opportunity slip away.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Holy cow, Manzano takes Silver and Centro just missed Bronze in the 1500m. Amazing. So no US runners even make the 400m final, an event the US has owned in the modern olympics, and yet has two in the top 4 for the 1500m. Just amazing.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Who would have thought the US would have as many distance medals as Kenya right now? I wouldn't be surprised if the US picked up one more in the 1500 with a drug bust, but maybe because I'm a little cynical of some performances. Great showing by the American guys so far.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Holy cow, Manzano takes Silver and Centro just missed Bronze in the 1500m. Amazing. So no US runners even make the 400m final, an event the US has owned in the modern olympics, and yet has two in the top 4 for the 1500m. Just amazing.

And let's just wait until that Algerian has to piss in a cup later today. I'd be willing to bet that Manzano will be donning the gold and Centro the bronze soon enough....
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Matt W wrote:
Who would have thought the US would have as many distance medals as Kenya right now? I wouldn't be surprised if the US picked up one more in the 1500 with a drug bust, but maybe because I'm a little cynical of some performances. Great showing by the American guys so far.

Great minds....

Its also not far fetched to think the US can medal in the 5k as well, with Lagat, Lomong, and even Rupp legitimate contenders.

If any Hall can pop a legendary performance on Sunday, we can leave London with medals in the 1500, 5k, 10k, and marathon?
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Anything is possible.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:09 am

Dave-O wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:Holy cow, Manzano takes Silver and Centro just missed Bronze in the 1500m. Amazing. So no US runners even make the 400m final, an event the US has owned in the modern olympics, and yet has two in the top 4 for the 1500m. Just amazing.

And let's just wait until that Algerian has to piss in a cup later today. I'd be willing to bet that Manzano will be donning the gold and Centro the bronze soon enough....

Spoiler... Smile
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:14 am

Isn't Hall dealing with PF or something?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:25 am

Amazing showing by the Americans in the distance events. 2 medals by Americans who were born here (no knock on Lagat or Meb or others, but it's doesn't same much about the state of American distance running if we simply get athletes from other countries) and another who was 4th in the same event that we took the silver. Nobody would be shocked if we medaled in the 5000 or the marathon (though I'm not anticipating either). Just a great olympics, one of the highlights for me so far.

The 1500 was odd. I don't follow it like I used to, but it seemed like a relatively conservative race, yet guys were falling apart at the end. What happened to Willis?
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:30 am

Let me go ahead and say that I know Meb is a different situation than Lagat. I should have lumped him more in with Manzano and Rupp. But that was 8 years ago.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:40 am

healdgator wrote:Let me go ahead and say that I know Meb is a different situation than Lagat. I should have lumped him more in with Manzano and Rupp. But that was 8 years ago.

Manazano was born in Mexico. Not sure when he came to the US.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next