365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

24 hour relay it might take 24 hours to read this oooppsss.

5 posters

Go down

24 hour relay it might take 24 hours to read this oooppsss. Empty 24 hour relay it might take 24 hours to read this oooppsss.

Post  amyjoann Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:14 pm

the race started on a Saturday at 4p. and ran until Sunday 4pm..the course was a 3 mile loop through a local county park all cross country consisting of one significant hill 1/2 mile long named roller coaster,some woods,and the majority run on grass in the hot sun.The last mile has one more sneaky hill named grinder and it does gradually grind and grind.Our team consisted of ten women,myself (the captain) both my daughters Amanda 23 ,Madeline 19,their friend Mary 19,our local ringer whose actually sponsered by power bar Kris wickard,Linda Murkve she always wins our age group in races( if you can't beat them I say invite them on your relay team)my running partner Tracey 46,Dana 36 ,Dara 36,Tammy 42.I put together a very competetive local team.Day of the race temps were of course in the 90's with scattered storms predicited.Our ringer was set to start us off and run a 10k .Earlier that day she competed in a local tri of course won overall for women ,and came in 6th place overall she is a beast Twisted Evil . Five minutes after the runners took off the sky opened up and poured huge amounts of rain,and threw out lightning bolts for extra fun,Kris said she was on top of the big hill and real scared so she ran faster.i think she finished both loops around 47 minutes great start . Rain stopped and the steamming hot sun returned our next runners kept up a very fast pace,we were in the lead for a little while into the night. I didn't do my first run until 10 pm. I run in this park once a week so I'm very familiar with it and I wasn't worried about running in the dark I thought it would be peaceful. Well I wasn't prepared for the shear blackness of the woods at night , we had these knuckles lights but they didn't generate a lot of light ,it was very creepy I was actually scared which was good cause it made me run faster,but that was kinda bad because there were still puddles from the storm earlier and parts of the course were slippery so then I was scared of falling. the giant hill had flood lights so that was nice but parts of the course were real real dark,it was marked pretty well but there were a few places I got turned around.Around the last mile at one spot I kept hearing animals running it was wierd then these little bunnies jumped out at me . I know you are saying reallyAmy bunnies they were wierd. I was pretty happy with my time for the first loop but I knew I could run faster if I wasn't worried about animals and slipping. we only had 3 hours in between runs because 3 people didn't stay and camp like we did,my next run I had a girl from our run club offer to run with me it was 2am so I was real happy for the company it went great running with someone I went a lot faster this time. We lost some time at night we were about in 4th pll. overall .In the morning our other runners returned and that gave us a great boost because we were getting real tired form lack of sleep.We did just one 3 mile loop each time on sunday due to the heat.This was the first year for this event and not a lot of teams took part .There was only one other all womens team,we ended up beating them by 7 loops. We completed 49 loops ,it was very hard with the hot temps and challenging course but really really fun! I want to do it again next year and hope I will have my same team we each ran 5 loops for a total of 15 miles. Their were some runners doing this solo all night . One guy from Indy ran 101 miles a women ran I think 60,then our local guy who runs with us in the park hes 65 ran 70 miles but had to stop due to a bowel obstruction,he was in a lot of pain. those people are amazing I don't know how they keep going. I don't think I would ever want to do an ultra were you run at night alone I'm way to chicken .Thanks for reading:D
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

24 hour relay it might take 24 hours to read this oooppsss. Empty Re: 24 hour relay it might take 24 hours to read this oooppsss.

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:47 am

24 hours, scary. Very Happy

Glad you got through it, Amy! Congratulations!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

24 hour relay it might take 24 hours to read this oooppsss. Empty Re: 24 hour relay it might take 24 hours to read this oooppsss.

Post  Jeff F Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 am

Sounds like a fun event, thanks for sharing your experience.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am

Great job. Though difficult it seemed fun.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:28 pm

congrats Amy. Not sure this one is for me.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down