365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me, Clarence! Get me back!

+7
Chris M
Dave Wolfe
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Alex Kubacki
ounce
Michael Enright
11 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Help me, Clarence! Get me back! - Page 7 Empty Re: Help me, Clarence! Get me back!

Post  Michael Enright Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:No stressing, Michael - trust the training.

Thanks Michele. My new running mantra seems to be "Whatever!", so that fits!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Help me, Clarence! Get me back! - Page 7 Empty Re: Help me, Clarence! Get me back!

Post  Michael Enright Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Nice easy 4 miles on the TM at the Y tonight, while I waited to pick up my daughter from rehearsal. Just clicked along at 8:57 per. Good taper run!

Too much crazy stuff going on in my life right now. Forgot to pay the mortgage (it was officially late as of Saturday, so the bank called today). Haven't screwed that up before.

My wife is addicted to Game of Thrones. Every time I come into the family room, it is on tv (On Demand). I enjoyed it but can't watch it over and over again.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 am

So, it's been a pretty good taper week. Wednesday night I managed to get up to the track for a 5 miler, and averaged a little over 9:00 per on an easy run.

Thursday, I went down to DC for a very quick turnaround trip. I got to the hotel right at 5:00 p.m., and had a reception there at 6:00. Figured I could be 20 minutes late, and it was a beautiful afternoon, so changed really quickly into my running stuff and headed out for a quick 4 miler. That took me to the famous site below - can you make out what that is from the satellite imagery? I love running around there, though the streets getting to and from were jammed and it slowed me down to an average "all in" pace of 9:35. It was worth it. And, I got to the reception just at the right time, so that worked out. Then right out to dinner, back to the hotel late, got out of bed just in time for the meeting the next day, then right back out to catch a 4 p.m. train and back home by 10:15. Anyone ride Amtrak lately? Was great for the northeast corridor and this trip in particular. Surprised me. Haven't been on Amtrak in decades.

Today, I just banged out a real pleasant 8 miles at 9:04. Just taking it easy. My legs want to run right out from under me! Tapering is so crazy, especially at this point. The race is a week from tomorrow and I just want to go, go, go.

No long runs left, it's all short stuff from here...

Help me, Clarence! Get me back! - Page 7 Dc_run10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Just 4 miles today, which seems ridiculous, but, hey, that's the taper.
I did this on the road, figuring it's my last hill run, and since the course has some hills in it, I may as well not forget what it's like to run up and down some. Haven't hit a real hill in a couple of weeks - so the first mile uphill seemed hard. But in the end, it was an exercise in self-restraint. I ended up running the last couple of miles pretty fast, just because, but not too fast. It was a good run on a beautiful day.
As I was running up the backside of the big hill, one of many cyclists in some kind of organized group ride passed me, and this one in particular slowed down trying to pedal up the hill. It took me a minute to figure out that he had a prosthetic lower leg on the right side, so I guess it must be pretty hard to get any real oomph with just a quad/hamstring and no calf muscle to work his way up the hill. I actually passed him just before the hill crested, and offered some encouragement by pointing out that the crest was only about 50 yards away, and he would get a nice downhill from that point. He went whizzing by me on the downhill, a couple of minutes later, which was nice to see.
Made me appreciate the fact that both of my legs work!
Just a couple of short ones left, and the race is Sunday - forecast remains good.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:38 am

Michael, I forgot are you staying up there the night before or driving up that morning?

One other thing I remembered about the course is around mile 19 you enter a park and the road forks, you need to go right while its natural to go left. I had read people had gone off course there in years past. Last year they had someone there directing the runners, so hopefully they will again. But just something to keep in your mind. Also, remember the hill around mile 22 and mentally be ready for it.

Enjoy the race.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Michael, I forgot are you staying up there the night before or driving up that morning?

One other thing I remembered about the course is around mile 19 you enter a park and the road forks, you need to go right while its natural to go left. I had read people had gone off course there in years past. Last year they had someone there directing the runners, so hopefully they will again. But just something to keep in your mind. Also, remember the hill around mile 22 and mentally be ready for it.

Enjoy the race.

Thanks Alex, and thanks for the heads up on that turn.

I am staying in Brattleboro (cheaper room - half hour away) the night before.

I asked the race director about the hill in an email about a week ago, and his response is posted below. Do you think that is a change in the course from last year (I know it has changed some since last year, because earlier in the race it now does a little loop over a dam - scenic, I guess - and back), or does this sound the same as you ran?

"Great question, and as you get mentally prepared for your marathon in less than 2 weeks, you need to know what to prepare for. We made changes to the course that took out a long, very steep hill in mile 22, but there is still a shorter double hill but now after the 23 mile mark in the Woodland cemetery, which is connected to the Greenlawn Cemetery. There is a short hill climb up to a chapel in the cemetery where the road turns right, just in front of the chapel. It then rolls downhill a short distance before one more climb about 60 yards or so, then you head out the gate and turn right onto N. Lincoln St, which is downhill. At the base of that hill will be a water station. At that point, you are in the home stretch, and there are very subtle ups and downs, but mostly flat. There is a slight rise as you approach Main St on Baker St, but at that point, you are just hanging on for that final push for the last 4/10th of a mile to the finish."
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Yep that's the hill. I passed a bunch of people who were reduced to walking up it.

I wonder if that change to the first half extends the time in that area. It really was a tale of two halves. The first half is as pretty as they come, but the second half wasn't nearly as scenic.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Yep that's the hill. I passed a bunch of people who were reduced to walking up it.

I wonder if that change to the first half extends the time in that area. It really was a tale of two halves. The first half is as pretty as they come, but the second half wasn't nearly as scenic.

I think it only extends the scenic part briefly - it's a short little loop they added, not much more, I think.

3 miles tonight at the track. The taper in Hal's intermediate program always comes down to the 3 mile Tuesday run, which always seems absurdly short. First mile was 9:01, second mile was 8:50, third mile was 8:52. Nice and easy.

4 miles tomorrow, and then nothing until a mile or two on Saturday, before the race on Sunday. Just about done.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Michael Enright wrote:So, it's been a pretty good taper week. Wednesday night I managed to get up to the track for a 5 miler, and averaged a little over 9:00 per on an easy run.

Thursday, I went down to DC for a very quick turnaround trip. I got to the hotel right at 5:00 p.m., and had a reception there at 6:00. Figured I could be 20 minutes late, and it was a beautiful afternoon, so changed really quickly into my running stuff and headed out for a quick 4 miler. That took me to the famous site below - can you make out what that is from the satellite imagery? I love running around there, though the streets getting to and from were jammed and it slowed me down to an average "all in" pace of 9:35. It was worth it. And, I got to the reception just at the right time, so that worked out. Then right out to dinner, back to the hotel late, got out of bed just in time for the meeting the next day, then right back out to catch a 4 p.m. train and back home by 10:15. Anyone ride Amtrak lately? Was great for the northeast corridor and this trip in particular. Surprised me. Haven't been on Amtrak in decades.

Today, I just banged out a real pleasant 8 miles at 9:04. Just taking it easy. My legs want to run right out from under me! Tapering is so crazy, especially at this point. The race is a week from tomorrow and I just want to go, go, go.

No long runs left, it's all short stuff from here...

Help me, Clarence! Get me back! - Page 7 Dc_run10

C'mon....anyone who doesn't know what is in the center of that DC satellite picture needs to get their butt down here ASAP. But not as many may know what the relatively new monument is on the far left of Michael's picture. Half way up the screen on the far left. I really like poking around that monument and I think it was a great addition to the Mall.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 am

Chris - I had to save any real exploration of the WWII monument for my next trip down, as I had no time this go-round. Everything I've heard about it is terrific, and it sure looked impressive as I ran by.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 am

Last real training run last night for this cycle - 4 miles on the mill (it was raining out) at an 8:57 pace.

I'm glad the training is concluding - I could feel some real tightness in my right achilles when I started (that is something new!) and the ITBS was bothering me. Was fine once warmed up, but I could use a break, and will certainly plan on taking a serious one for a change after Sunday. I don't think these issues will trouble me Sunday, especially after a couple of days off, with maybe a mile or two to stay loose on Saturday morning.

The forecast is coming into focus, though I expect it will change some more as we get closer. Right now, the call is for a high in the upper 60s on Sunday, cloudy with occasional showers. I think maybe the rain is going to fall out of the forecast, and maybe they will even call for some sun, and that may put the temps up a little higher. But they shouldn't get higher than 70 prior to the end of my race, I think, and if the clouds and showers have cleared out, it will probably be somewhat less humid. But that's me being a junior meteorologist, and I could well be wrong. Either way, I should be fine for this race, and maybe it will be "just right." Goldilocks, I know.

I'm definitely ready. Now I just need to obsess over nutrition and pace...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 am

Oh, and I have to walk down 26 floors of stairs in a few minutes (full building evacuation fire drill), which can't help my achilles or the ITBS, I'm sure.

Good thing this fire drill isn't scheduled for Monday!!!!Very Happy
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 am

Since the training is in the bag, take as much rest as you need. Don't let the Achilles get to where mine did - it isn't worth it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:30 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Since the training is in the bag, take as much rest as you need. Don't let the Achilles get to where mine did - it isn't worth it.

I will avoid that at all cost! Thanks.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am

Good luck this weekend Michael. Hope everything comes together.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Good luck this weekend Michael. Hope everything comes together.

Thanks Alex!

So far, it looks pretty good...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:22 am

My forecast for the marathon tomorrow just turned perfect - 50s, mostly cloudy, no wind, no precip.
It's a net downhill. I have no injuries or chronic conditions of any consequence.
Shit, I'm quickly running out of excuses!
Very Happy
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Ran a couple of miles easy with no watch just to get the kinks out.

Ready to roll, and heading out the door for NH.

Looking forward to it...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:32 am

I feel really good today, given that I ran the marathon Sunday. Stomach was still weird yesterday afternoon. Not sure what that's about.

Hartford is a week from Saturday. I'm getting more serious about maybe running it, if the weather looks good and I feel good. Would plan on just taking it easy and enjoying the ride for a change.

Only deterrent is that it's $125 if you sign up at the last minute, which I would want to do. Well, that and the fact that it would be totally frickin' crazy.

In any event, not planning on doing any running for at least a couple more days, so we'll see...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 am

Michael, hope the recovery is going well.

Does Hartford send something to bring with you for number pickup? I haven't gotten anything. Do we just show up with a license and that's it? Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Michael, hope the recovery is going well.

Does Hartford send something to bring with you for number pickup? I haven't gotten anything. Do we just show up with a license and that's it? Thanks.

Just show up in the Civic Center with your ID, and you will be good to go.

I feel good - planning on running it on Saturday. If I don't see you sometime before you get in the chute (I'm assuming you are in the seeded corral, which I am not), I will keep my eyes open for you when I am still headed out to the turnaround at about mile 17, and you are well on your way back from it!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Good luck on Saturday, Michael. Remember during the race just to listen to your body if it is too much, it will let you know. I, for one, think you will be fine however.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Good luck on Saturday, Michael. Remember during the race just to listen to your body if it is too much, it will let you know. I, for one, think you will be fine however.

Thanks Michele - that sounds like really good advice.

My expectation is that the first half will be fine, and the second might be really hard. So, I may just slow down a lot. OK by me for this one!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Michael, I've never been to the XL Center. How's the parking? I'm going tomorrow at 11.

Looks like it's going to be chilly for the race. Supposed to be around the freezing mark at the start and then not make it out of the 30's until late in the race.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Michael, I've never been to the XL Center. How's the parking? I'm going tomorrow at 11.

Looks like it's going to be chilly for the race. Supposed to be around the freezing mark at the start and then not make it out of the 30's until late in the race.

You might get lucky and find a metered spot on the streets around XL (no actual meters any more - it's one of those systems where you get a ticket out of an automated kiosk on the street and display it in your windshield), or can park at the Church Street garage, which I think is reasonable (north across Church Street from the XL).

Weather should be chilly. Local news predicted mid-30s for 8:00 am start and approaching 50 by noon, and sunny, little wind.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7