365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 3rd time's a charm!

+28
Paula Sue
Michael Enright
Dave P
jon c
Mark B
Joel H
Chris M
Jim Lentz
healdgator
Michele "1L" Keane
Natalie
Alex Kubacki
Nick Morris
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
JohnP
ChasMcG
Dave-O
Ken Mello
Matt W
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Tom H
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Kenny B.
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
32 posters

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next

Go down

The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 7 Empty Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  mul21 Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:I can't believe we're talking about treadmill running in July, but in the case of having an 18-miler on your schedule, I don't see any other option. Good luck getting through it. Can you watch a movie or something as you run?

Fortunately, the Y has mills with tv screens and cable, so I can watch whatever I want. I usually try to find some sporting event and watch that while I listen to music. I got through 14 doing that Thursday, so I should be able to hang on for another 4 tomorrow.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:40 pm

mul21 wrote:You're definitely right about that Kenny!

Recovery from the 14 on Thursday went well and I got in a nice easy 4 yesterday. I did another 6 this morning and will be doing another really easy 4 in about an hour or so. That will put me at 52 for the week and leaves me with the dreaded 18 mile treadmill run tomorrow!

I still can't believe you are going to do 18 on a treadmill!! You should just get up at 4am like I plan on doing tomorrow. Anyways good luck with that run. It's painful just thinking about it...The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 7 Bb1
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
mul21 wrote:You're definitely right about that Kenny!

Recovery from the 14 on Thursday went well and I got in a nice easy 4 yesterday. I did another 6 this morning and will be doing another really easy 4 in about an hour or so. That will put me at 52 for the week and leaves me with the dreaded 18 mile treadmill run tomorrow!

I still can't believe you are going to do 18 on a treadmill!! You should just get up at 4am like I plan on doing tomorrow. Anyways good luck with that run. It's painful just thinking about it...The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 7 Bb1

Honestly, I would if it wasn't still going to be 80 degrees with 90%+ humidity. It just won't make much of a difference whether I do it at 4 am or 8 am. The mill is the only option tomorrow.

Just finished my second run of the day to get 10 total in. The 18 tomorrow will give me my first ever 70 mile week!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:08 pm

Well 80 with 80% at start is rough I will have 80 with about 74% at start so I think I can handle the 18 miles as the humidity gets less as the miles get longer.

Good luck catching that 70 miles nice milestone.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Good luck with the 18 tomorrow and hitting 70 for the first time. You can do it!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Jim, how did the 18 go on the treadmill.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Jim, how did the 18 go on the treadmill.

I have, without question had much, much worse runs than that. Mind over matter, I guess.

18 done on the mill in 2:25 for an average pace of 8:03. That was dropped just a bit since I did my last mile at around goal MP (7:03).

So, here are the total for 18 miles on a mill:

4 gym towels
3 Gu
2 shirts
1 22 oz. G2
1 22 oz. water

And when I was done, a Slim Fast and another 20 oz. of G2.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Jim, nice job knocking out an 18 miler on the 'mill! I know it's tough and it's definitely mind over matter. You succeeded and have a nice pace to show for it. Hopefully, we all get a little break from the heat soon and you'll be able to head outdoors. Keep up the good training! (Even though you're a Steamroller Razz )
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:33 pm

mul21 wrote:

I have, without question had much, much worse runs than that. Mind over matter, I guess.

18 done on the mill in 2:25 for an average pace of 8:03. That was dropped just a bit since I did my last mile at around goal MP (7:03).

4 gym towels
3 Gu
2 shirts
1 22 oz. G2
1 22 oz. water

Well that sure does sound like a lot of work for a 18 mile run. Heck that much gatorade, Gu, shirts and towels hell you should have ran outside. No really nice solid 18 mile run Jim, has to feel good to be able to drop down to MP on the last mile.

One of these days this high heat will lift and we will be blessed by the running God's with nice running weather. To be honest it better be fucking soon! I'm starting to get to my breaking point and to be honest I don't want to see a treadmill until Boston training.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:21 am

I agree running on TM is not as awful as many of us claim it is. It is more psychological enduance vs. physical endurance.

4 Towels / 2 shirts / what are Partick Ewing running on TM. I think it is time you get your sweat glands removed.

Wonderful job!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:59 am

Good work on the TM run, Jim...Did you adjust the elevation at all to make it more like running outside?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:57 am

mul21 wrote:

4 gym towels
3 Gu
2 shirts
1 22 oz. G2
1 22 oz. water

Great breakdown of a successful (and fast) treadmill run Jim! Nice work.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:15 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Great breakdown of a successful (and fast) treadmill run Jim! Nice work.

+1 - Good one on the DM.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 am

Great long run on the TM. I think there is some mental toughness that gets built doing long runs on a TM. Great job.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:55 am

Jim, I am catching up with your blog here. Wow, 44 seconds is so close! At least it gives you motivation. When I first broke through to BQ, I missed it in two or three races by 1-3 minutes. Even though it was frustrating at the time, it also told me that the BQ was doable.

Looks like your training has gone well so far. St. Louis will stay hot and humid for awhile yet and I don't blame you running on the mill. Your coach will keep you on track I am sure! Keep up the good work!The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 7 424776184
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Schuey wrote:

Well that sure does sound like a lot of work for a 18 mile run. Heck that much gatorade, Gu, shirts and towels hell you should have ran outside. No really nice solid 18 mile run Jim, has to feel good to be able to drop down to MP on the last mile.

One of these days this high heat will lift and we will be blessed by the running God's with nice running weather. To be honest it better be fucking soon! I'm starting to get to my breaking point and to be honest I don't want to see a treadmill until Boston training.

It would have been much worse outside. I lost about 2.5 pounds on an 8 miler earlier in the week and I can't imagine what it would have been for 18 in this crap. There's really not many good places to get any fluids outside at any decent interval, so I either go without or get something about every 5 miles.

Kenny B. wrote:I agree running on TM is not as awful as many of us claim it is. It is more psychological enduance vs. physical endurance.

4 Towels / 2 shirts / what are Partick Ewing running on TM. I think it is time you get your sweat glands removed.

Wonderful job!

Ha! I will never forget him wiping his brow on free throw attempts and it just dripping off of him! I'm not quite that bad, but I certainly don't have any problem shedding liquids.

Nick Morris wrote:Good work on the TM run, Jim...Did you adjust the elevation at all to make it more like running outside?

No elevation adjustments, just gradual pace increases up to a 7:47 mile and then banged the last one out at 7:03, which should be close to MP in October.

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:Great breakdown of a successful (and fast) treadmill run Jim! Nice work.

+1 - Good one on the DM.

Thanks Seth and John! I'm not sure about fast quite yet, but with
dave's help, hopefully I'm headed that way. It'd be nice to do a long
run at around 7:30 pace and be don with a 20 in 2.5 hours!

Alex Kubacki wrote:Great long run on the TM. I think there is some mental toughness that gets built doing long runs on a TM. Great job.

No doubt about the mental part. I hit a little rough patch around 13-14-15, but once I got past that and increased the pace a bit more, I just kind of cruised it on in.

jon c wrote:Jim, I am catching up with your blog here. Wow, 44 seconds is so close! At least it gives you motivation. When I first broke through to BQ, I missed it in two or three races by 1-3 minutes. Even though it was frustrating at the time, it also told me that the BQ was doable.

Looks like your training has gone well so far. St. Louis will stay hot and humid for awhile yet and I don't blame you running on the mill. Your coach will keep you on track I am sure! Keep up the good work!The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 7 424776184

Thanks Jon! It wasn't as much of a disappointment as it might have been in years past because of the crappy weather (wind) during the race and the fact that even if I nailed my goal it still would have been a stretch to get into Boston with the new registration procedures. Plus, a 15 minute PR made me feel better about the whole thing in general! The weather appears to be maintaining its brutal status for the near future and I'll be heading to the mill again tonight for my tempo run.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:20 pm

Last night was an easy 6 miler at around 8:50 pace or so. I actually got it done outside on the trails near the house and found a little spot that got me shade on about 80-90% of the run, which helped keep it a bit cooler. 10 miler with 6 at tempo on the schedule tonight. I'll probably start in the 6:53 range and try to work down to 6:35 or so depending on how the legs feel once I get going.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:15 am

Had a great tempo run last night! In fact, so good that I PRed in the 5 mile with the last 5 miles of the tempo portion of the run. Can I count that as a PR? Best I've done in a 5 mile race is 34:24 and I did the last 5 miles of the tempo in 33:51 last night. Crazy how much fitness I've gained in the last 6 months.

I got in 10 miles total with 6 @ tempo and went 6:53, 6:49, 6:49, 6:49, 6:44, 6:40 on the faster stuff. I was definitely working at the end and my HR was at 86-87% of max in the last mile, but it was a really good run. Dave has one of his "long tempos" on the schedule for me in 2 weeks where he wants me to do 12 total with 8 at sub-MP but just above where I'd start a tempo run pace wise. Should be interesting.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:20 am

Great job on the tempo run, Jim. You can't count it as a PR, but now I know not to challenge you in a 5 mile race.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 am

Great tempo run Jim. I also thing that the 8 mile at sub MP will be a great workout for you also.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:44 am

Don't you love PRing in a training run. Amazing stuff imagine how fast you "Really" are come cooler weather. So happy you had a strong and successful tempo run. Hope to follow in your steps next week.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:57 am

Excellent job on the 18 mile run man...as much as you used during GU/shirts, etc. on the treadmill I know it would have been worse outside. I can't imagine running 18 miles outside...I would die (I don't run more than 13 outside from May-August). Excellent job on the tempo run too. You are getting really fast man. I can't wait to see what you do in the fall.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Just read about the 18 on the mill and that recent tempo run. Nice job on both - that was a really solid pace for the LSD, and a great progression for the tempo.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:15 pm

Awesome tempo run - you are getting really fast!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:03 pm

Dude...slow down, you are starting to catch up to me...Very Happy Very Happy
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next