365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stress fracture

+19
jon c
Stephanie
Michael Enright
Jerry
Diego
Alex Kubacki
T Miller
Traveller
Schuey
carleenp
Nick Morris
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
mountandog
wrichman
mul21
ounce
Dave-O
John Kilpatrick
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stress fracture Empty Stress fracture

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Found out today, stress fracture in the left pelvic ramus. Don't know if it is superior or inferior, but I am done running for 8-12 weeks I'm told. I've been told not to cycle for at least 3 weeks and not even to swim if I'm going to kick at all. We (my doc) missed it the first time with an x-ray b/c we were looking at the femoral neck and not the pelvis - MRI yesterday showed what was going on. Well, there is nothing I can do about it now except let it heal. I've been reading horror stories on the internet about healing times of a year or more, but Doc thinks I should be able to start running after a max of 12 weeks about 3 miles a day and then use the weekly 10% rule from there.

I had been actually feeling a little better and had been running a little bit lately - actually did a 4 (7:00 pace) and a 12 miler (7:30 pace) yesterday. Leg hurt this morning pretty badly and actually hurt some during the run, but I kept telling myself that things are just stiff in there and it will take a while to loosen up. Basically, quit being a pu$$y about everything. At least now I know what is going on - things hurt for a reason stupid!

Now the best and only thing I can really do is to be patient and come back healthy in as long as it takes. My November ironman training is set back as well now, but I will have time this summer to train - if I'm not at my best, then I'll just do the best that I can do.

I'm really bummed, but really grateful that now I know where I stand and can hopefully "live" to fight another day. I'll also obviously miss out on some summer triathlons and races, but it is what it is....

So, in the meantime, I just get to live vicariously through the 365ers - go team!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Stress fracture Empty Re: Stress fracture

Post  Dave-O Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:42 pm

As much as this sucks - and it really does - at least its a real diagnosis with a recovery plan. I'd prefer this to not knowing and training at a comprised and painful level for the next 6 months.

Its going to be hard to stay patient for 12 weeks, but trust me that you will be ready for a strong race in the spring.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Sucks about your injury. At least you know what it is. We'll send you down to AAA, so we can pull somebody up.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Great to have a diagnosis, but most importantly, I hope you've been able to pinpoint where the deficiency is that caused the problem and get that fixed so this doesn't happen again.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm sorry this happened. Like every one said, now you know what the problem is and can go from here. You're entitled to a good week of sulking, complaining, and just being pissy.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 pm

John,

AHHHHHHHHHH, it must be the Albany marathon training. It must be contagious. My daughter Chelsea has been diagnosed with exercise induced compartment syndrome that will require surgery, and possibly a stress fracture in the other foot. She was hoping to meet you at the Albany race after all the help you've given her. She is still planning on helping her friend thru the race so she'll be going. Whether she runs 1 mile, 0 miles or 26.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Bummer, John. I wondered about a stress reaction since it seemed that things were taking a long time to heal. Luckily (knocking on my wooden desk), that is something I'm not real familiar with. Sorry that I'll miss meeting up with you sometime while I'm still living in GA.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Oh, man... I'm sorry, John. That stinks.

But I agree with the idea that now, finally, you have a diagnosis and a plan. That's a lot better than spending all your spare timing wondering why your #$#! hip hurts and why can't you stop being a big baby and simply push through it? This is aggravating, but healthier.

Heal well!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Awww man!! I am sorry man...It definitely sucks that you will be out for 3+ months, but I am happy that you were able to finally get this thing diagnosed. Ultimately all I can say is to rest up, get healthy, and come back stronger than ever. I know it may be devistating, but keep your head up.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Sorry to hear it. Stress fractures are no fun. But if it is any consolation, I found that it really wasn't that hard to get back in shape when I was off for 12 weeks with a fibula stress fracture. I was really surprised how quickly my fitness returned.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Well John not what I want to read about your injury but as others have said at least you now know what the issue is. Now the good thing is that is a SF, which means they heal completely and rarely every cause you a problem again, well at least in that same spot.

I won't imagine you ended up with this due to doing to much to fast because that is normal with SF, but you might want to thing about going in a getting a bone density test just to make sure that there is not an issue in that department for future reference.

Now I would also like to welcome you to the club! If you didn't already know I have had 4 yep 4 SF in my wonderful long distance running career! I must add that 2 of them came during the same training cycle for Boston 2008 and I ended up doing 98% of my training in a pool, pool running.

So from someone that has been there done that stay positive and do what you can to build your fitness up while you can't run. Remember the hear doesn't know miles it only knows how hard it is working and that my friend will still build aerobic and anaerobic fitness. You stay in good shape it won't take long to get your legs back under while back on the roads. I still say to this day some of the best cardio shape I have ever been in was in the Spring of 2008. That was my huge building block to get me where I am today, so again think about all the positive things that can come out of what has happen now in the present. It's all about now planning and looking ahead for the future!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Traveller Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:18 pm

Sorry to hear.

+1 to what everyone else has already said.

Keep good thoughts and heal up completely.

Good Luck!
Traveller
Traveller

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:20 am

John, I'm really sorry to be reading this. I know it is extremely difficult to take this time off when all you can think about are your goals but you will be better because of it. Every time I've had to take some time off I've come back stronger. I would focus my attention on things that you're allowed to do and things that you may not have time for during training, like core work etc....

You'll be back at it before you know it.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:25 am

That sucks John, but keep your head up and direct the hunger towards other activities in the mean time. Then when it's time to go you'll have the full motivation.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:30 am

Ugh, man! I'm so sorry to hear about the stress fracture. If you have a pool, you can emulate Schuey's pool running and come out of it with a very good aerobic base. I'm going to pray that Georgia's Spring comes late this year or that it rains most of the next twelve weeks so you won't miss being outside. Sorry, other Georgian's.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:30 am

John, this sucks. Take the time off. 3 months go fast. Believe Jerry, who is almost there(probably has run less than 50 miles since Dec marathon).
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:16 pm

That sucks, very sorry to hear.

Rest up and be back 100%!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 pm

Diego wrote:Ugh, man! I'm so sorry to hear about the stress fracture. If you have a pool, you can emulate Schuey's pool running and come out of it with a very good aerobic base. I'm going to pray that Georgia's Spring comes late this year or that it rains most of the next twelve weeks so you won't miss being outside. Sorry, other Georgian's.

It's ok as long as it only rains in South Georgia. After all, I deserve a good Spring since next winter I'll be suffering in Cleveland Wink
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:03 pm

John!! I am so sorry to hear this!!! Hang in there. You will get better even if some days it seems like your injury will never go away. Trust me, it will!! I wish you a VERY speedy recovery!!!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm with the others, heal up quickly John! At least you know what you're up against. Hopefully you can work out a strategy to modify your form to not heel strike quite as much as that is the toughest thing on our structure running wise.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Ugh, that's rough. But like others have said above, sacrifice fitness to get 100% healthy. You do yourself no good trying to train on something that is broken. Get fully healed and then and only then come up with a plan to come back. The worst thing you can do now is to try and "sneak" in some running and instead you just shut down and let the body fully heal.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 am

Stress fractures suck -- follow the doc's advice and take the time for this to heal.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks everyone - I think I went into pout mode for a while and sort of disapeared for a little while. And, well, everything else seemingly came crashing down in the meantime. They say things happen for a reason, I don't know. Your words mean a lot to me.

A couple of weekends ago I went to the local marathon that I was supposed to be running in, stood in the rain and cheered people on for 5+ hours. It was sort of therapeutic for me - figured I could stay home and feel bummed out about it or go cheer people on (I know several people from locally). I made the right call for sure, and saw one friend near the finish of his first half and one near the finish of his first full marathon. It was really cool to see the 2 hour something people and equally cool in some ways to see the 5+ hour people doing their best.

I've been swimming a lot lately, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as running. Instead of sore/tired legs now I have sore/tired arms! I'm not supposed to kick very hard with swimming at least for another 2 weeks, but I've put in some quality miles. I miss racing and humbly realize that I won't be in running or triathlon racing shape anytime soon (sounds like it will be a slow recovery when ever I do get the green light to run), so I've thought about doing an open water swim race. Best I could find is a 10K in Miami (too far/expensive) this April and a 5K on the North Florida Atlantic coast in May. I think I'll enter, even though I know NOTHING about those sort of races - other than I looked up some times from other swimmers and realize that I will get may ass completely kicked. Not that I'm a bad swimmer, but it would be sort of like entering a race with Schuey, Dave, Tim, Matt, Gobbles, etc. all at the same time. Oh well, someone has to be last in every race, right?

Dave-O wrote:As much as this sucks - and it really does - at least its a real diagnosis with a recovery plan. I'd prefer this to not knowing and training at a comprised and painful level for the next 6 months.

Its going to be hard to stay patient for 12 weeks, but trust me that you will be ready for a strong race in the spring.
Thanks Dave - appreciate your time with me. Don't know what swimming will do for me as far as overall fitness, but it is better than nothing.

By the way, I didn't realize that your buddy (Matt) was running the Albany marathon - I saw an article with him in it in the local newspaper (http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2012/mar/03/despite-tornado-warning-marathon-and-bike-race-con/) - the weather was nuts with rain beginning directly after the National anthem and tornado sirens going off about 30 minutes after the race began. It rained more that day than it has in the last 6 months. I didn't know it was him, but I remember Matt coming cruising by at mile 23 - would of cheered him on personally if I would of realized. He ran a good race (2:38:53) in that weather. Read his blog and he sounded a little disappointed, but he looked strong to me. There were three Kenyans in front of him that were neck and neck and were just sort of floating along. Hope he had a good experience though.

ounce wrote:Sucks about your injury. At least you know what it is. We'll send you down to AAA, so we can pull somebody up.

Hahaha!

mul21 wrote:Great to have a diagnosis, but most importantly, I hope you've been able to pinpoint where the deficiency is that caused the problem and get that fixed so this doesn't happen again.
I don't think I have a bone density issue, but I am going to ask the Doc about that next time.

wrichman wrote:I'm sorry this happened. Like every one said, now you know what the problem is and can go from here. You're entitled to a good week of sulking, complaining, and just being pissy.
Thanks - problem is I think I took 3 weeks or so....

mountandog wrote:John,

AHHHHHHHHHH, it must be the Albany marathon training. It must be contagious. My daughter Chelsea has been diagnosed with exercise induced compartment syndrome that will require surgery, and possibly a stress fracture in the other foot. She was hoping to meet you at the Albany race after all the help you've given her. She is still planning on helping her friend thru the race so she'll be going. Whether she runs 1 mile, 0 miles or 26.
Thanks - glad to hear you are on the mend and Chelsea did great! Any word on her surgery?

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Bummer, John. I wondered about a stress reaction since it seemed that things were taking a long time to heal. Luckily (knocking on my wooden desk), that is something I'm not real familiar with. Sorry that I'll miss meeting up with you sometime while I'm still living in GA.
Thanks Michele - we'll have to meet at Boston some time bounce

Mark B wrote:Oh, man... I'm sorry, John. That stinks.

But I agree with the idea that now, finally, you have a diagnosis and a plan. That's a lot better than spending all your spare timing wondering why your #$#! hip hurts and why can't you stop being a big baby and simply push through it? This is aggravating, but healthier.

Heal well!
Thanks Mark - I'm not the best at being patient, but I have no choice!

Nick Morris wrote:Awww man!! I am sorry man...It definitely sucks that you will be out for 3+ months, but I am happy that you were able to finally get this thing diagnosed. Ultimately all I can say is to rest up, get healthy, and come back stronger than ever. I know it may be devistating, but keep your head up.
I'm feeling better about it (mentally that is). Can't do too much now (not even supposed to do weights/core work right now), but it isn't the worst thing that ever happened to anyone. I will really appreciate the simple act of running when I am ready...

carleenp wrote:Sorry to hear it. Stress fractures are no fun. But if it is any consolation, I found that it really wasn't that hard to get back in shape when I was off for 12 weeks with a fibula stress fracture. I was really surprised how quickly my fitness returned.
That is great to hear - thanks Carleen!

Schuey wrote:Well John not what I want to read about your injury but as others have said at least you now know what the issue is. Now the good thing is that is a SF, which means they heal completely and rarely every cause you a problem again, well at least in that same spot.

I won't imagine you ended up with this due to doing to much to fast because that is normal with SF, but you might want to thing about going in a getting a bone density test just to make sure that there is not an issue in that department for future reference.

Now I would also like to welcome you to the club! If you didn't already know I have had 4 yep 4 SF in my wonderful long distance running career! I must add that 2 of them came during the same training cycle for Boston 2008 and I ended up doing 98% of my training in a pool, pool running.

So from someone that has been there done that stay positive and do what you can to build your fitness up while you can't run. Remember the hear doesn't know miles it only knows how hard it is working and that my friend will still build aerobic and anaerobic fitness. You stay in good shape it won't take long to get your legs back under while back on the roads. I still say to this day some of the best cardio shape I have ever been in was in the Spring of 2008. That was my huge building block to get me where I am today, so again think about all the positive things that can come out of what has happen now in the present. It's all about now planning and looking ahead for the future!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU - not that I'm happy that you had your own sfs, but it makes me feel a WHOLE lot better that you've been able to get through them and ended up stronger down the road. I think the swimming miles that I'm putting in now have got to count for something. Thanks Martin!

Traveller wrote:Sorry to hear.

+1 to what everyone else has already said.

Keep good thoughts and heal up completely.

Good Luck!
Thanks buddy - appreciate it!

T Miller wrote:John, I'm really sorry to be reading this. I know it is extremely difficult to take this time off when all you can think about are your goals but you will be better because of it. Every time I've had to take some time off I've come back stronger. I would focus my attention on things that you're allowed to do and things that you may not have time for during training, like core work etc....

You'll be back at it before you know it.
Thanks Tim, and congrats on your 60K - ridiculous!

Alex Kubacki wrote:That sucks John, but keep your head up and direct the hunger towards other activities in the mean time. Then when it's time to go you'll have the full motivation.
Thanks Alex - I hope I can still work up to my fall ironman - the mind is willing but the body is weak!!!

Diego wrote:Ugh, man! I'm so sorry to hear about the stress fracture. If you have a pool, you can emulate Schuey's pool running and come out of it with a very good aerobic base. I'm going to pray that Georgia's Spring comes late this year or that it rains most of the next twelve weeks so you won't miss being outside. Sorry, other Georgian's.
Thanks Diego - I appreciate that. For whatever reason my Doc didn't want me to pool run - he thinks it would slow down the healing even though that wouldn't induce any pain (ditto for cycling and the elliptical). That being said, I don't know what pure swimming does for you, but I have committed to doing a good bit of it while I'm healing.

Jerry wrote:John, this sucks. Take the time off. 3 months go fast. Believe Jerry, who is almost there(probably has run less than 50 miles since Dec marathon).
Thanks Jerry - if I could only keep up with you!!!

Michael Enright wrote:That sucks, very sorry to hear.

Rest up and be back 100%!
Thanks Michael - appreciate it.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:

It's ok as long as it only rains in South Georgia. After all, I deserve a good Spring since next winter I'll be suffering in Cleveland Wink
Yes, but you will be laughing at us in August!

Stephanie wrote:John!! I am so sorry to hear this!!! Hang in there. You will get better even if some days it seems like your injury will never go away. Trust me, it will!! I wish you a VERY speedy recovery!!!
Thanks Stephanie - means a lot!

jon c wrote:I'm with the others, heal up quickly John! At least you know what you're up against. Hopefully you can work out a strategy to modify your form to not heel strike quite as much as that is the toughest thing on our structure running wise.
Thanks Jon - not sure how to do that but I'm hoping that will begin to correct itself with more running?

Chris M wrote:Ugh, that's rough. But like others have said above, sacrifice fitness to get 100% healthy. You do yourself no good trying to train on something that is broken. Get fully healed and then and only then come up with a plan to come back. The worst thing you can do now is to try and "sneak" in some running and instead you just shut down and let the body fully heal.
Thanks Chris - until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't seen the actual MRI picture of the break. After seeing it, it made me wonder how I was able to run on it in the first place. Pretty nasty looking jagged break right through the lower ramus. I hear you and it is hard to not sneak something in - especially when it feels great right now. I've learned my lesson here and am following Doc's orders for this one. I got lucky and ended up eventually with a runner as a Dr. - actually got to cheer him on during the Albany marathon (he was running the half).

Dave Wolfe wrote:Stress fractures suck -- follow the doc's advice and take the time for this to heal.
Thanks Dave!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

John Kilpatrick[quote="mountandog wrote:John,

Thanks - glad to hear you are on the mend and Chelsea did great! Any word on her surgery?

[Thanks Dave![/quote]

Thanks for asking John.

Chelsea's surgery was last Thursday after the marathon. She had a test on Monday -- had to run on a treadmill to check nerve pressure and she refused to tell anyone she had run the darn thing. She wasn't really supposed to be running at all, let alone 26.2!

She did run a PR by a minute but started out so slow and conservatively (negative split by more than 4 minutes) given her condition and the fact she hadn't run over 9 miles in two months that she only ended up short of BQ by 3 minutes, hell, she wasn't even sure she'd make it past the first mile, to accomplish what she did is amazing.

Too bad you child was sick and you guys couldn't hook up, but she did know who you were when you cheered her on during the race and exchanged high 5's. Perhaps you'll both do it next yr. Thanks for the support.

She ended up having the compartment syndrome surgery on both legs, has been on crutches since but was today cleared to drive and will be allowed to go on an exercise bike at the end of the week. So given a normal recovery w/o complications, she could be back running in about 6-8 weeks. We shall see. But 22 yr olds heal a lot faster than us old geezers.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:28 pm

mountandog wrote:

Chelsea's surgery was last Thursday after the marathon. She had a test on Monday -- had to run on a treadmill to check nerve pressure and she refused to tell anyone she had run the darn thing. She wasn't really supposed to be running at all, let alone 26.2!

She did run a PR by a minute but started out so slow and conservatively (negative split by more than 4 minutes) given her condition and the fact she hadn't run over 9 miles in two months that she only ended up short of BQ by 3 minutes, hell, she wasn't even sure she'd make it past the first mile, to accomplish what she did is amazing.

Too bad you child was sick and you guys couldn't hook up, but she did know who you were when you cheered her on during the race and exchanged high 5's. Perhaps you'll both do it next yr. Thanks for the support.

She ended up having the compartment syndrome surgery on both legs, has been on crutches since but was today cleared to drive and will be allowed to go on an exercise bike at the end of the week. So given a normal recovery w/o complications, she could be back running in about 6-8 weeks. We shall see. But 22 yr olds heal a lot faster than us old geezers.

I didn't even realize she missed by 3 minutes - and that run with minimal "quality" training? She has mega talent and hope she stays with it! Good deal on the surgery and yes, it would be nice to be 22 again!!!!!!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next