365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Racing Shoe

+5
Jerry
ounce
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Alex Kubacki
9 posters

Go down

Need Racing Shoe Empty Need Racing Shoe

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:07 am

I am looking for suggestions on a racing shoe, one that can pretty much cover all the distances. My training shoe is the Brooks Ghost 4. I weigh about 190 so I'm not a light runner. I have had achilles and ankle issues in the past so hopefully one that won't totally destroy my feet. Thanks for any insight.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Need Racing Shoe Empty Re: Need Racing Shoe

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:05 am

I like my Adidas Adizero Tempos, and I've also worn the Saucony Fastwitch. I like a bit less cushioned shoe for a flat, but I often train in a pair of Brooks Ghosts as well. The only thing I can say aobut my flats is that they don't last as long mile-wise as trainers.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:39 am

Replying just to see the suggestions, as I, too, train in Brooks Ghosts. Prefer the 3s to the 4s, though.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 am

So, when (or maybe why, too) should someone consider purchasing a racing shoe? I've only worn cushioned shoes, because I've weighed between 195 and 235 lbs. So cushioning was my need. I wear either the NB 993 or the Nike Vomero 6.

As I intend to drop some more weight this Spring, I guess I should begin the due diligence on a 'racing' shoe. Thanks. And thanks to Alex for posing his original question.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 am

I haven't tested in a real race yet, but loved Lunar Spider:

Need Racing Shoe Lunar.spider
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:00 pm

I assume that you don't want a super light shoe since you train in the ghost (11.3). My regular trainers are Saucony Kinvara 2 (7.7), Mizuno Musha 3 (9) and most recently Brooks Pure Connect (7.2). I think the pure connect may be a good choice for you since you already train in Brooks and it feels like it has quite a bit of support for such a light shoe. Racing shoes that I use may be too light for you but you may want to take a look. Nike Streak (6.7), Spira Stinger (7.5), Nike Lunar Racer (5.6) Also, I've used the Brooks T5 racer in the past and liked them so you may also want to consider the new model T7 racer (6.4).
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:40 pm

The T7 might be a bit minimalist for you. I'm about 160-165 lbs. when I'm in racing shape and I wouldn't go mare than a half in the T7. You'll find some who do, but probably not a good choice for your first racing shoe. If you're looking for something that will work across all distances, I'd recommend the Mizuno Ronin or Musha. I've worn both and liked them a lot.

I've never worn the Asics DS Racer, but I've heard good things about it and have gone through 2 or 3 pair of the DS Trainers.

The Lunar Racers are hit or miss. Loved the way they felt, but they gave me nasty blisters on my toes and they can be too narrow for a lot of people.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Brooks Pure Connect (if you can handle the lower heel-to-toe drop) or Lunar Racers (if you have narrow feet).

Both have a ton of cushioning considering their weight.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:16 pm

I have raced in the Lunar Racer and Lunar Spider from 5k through marathon. They are narrow though.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks everyone. After narrowing it down to the Connect, Lunaracer, and Streak I went with the Streak because I could get it from Runningwarehouse for $59. I'll give these a shot in the 30K in a couple of weeks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:32 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Thanks everyone. After narrowing it down to the Connect, Lunaracer, and Streak I went with the Streak because I could get it from Runningwarehouse for $59. I'll give these a shot in the 30K in a couple of weeks.

Be careful not jumping too quickly. There's not much shoe to the streak. The longest I've worn it is for a half-marathon, and even that took some time to work towards. Give them a few test runs before racing in them.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 am

Dave-O wrote:Be careful not jumping too quickly. There's not much shoe to the streak. The longest I've worn it is for a half-marathon, and even that took some time to work towards. Give them a few test runs before racing in them.

I definitely planned on a few runs prior to get the feel of them. I should of said that too.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Streak 3 or Streak XC?

I have both and while the Streak 3 would be a nice marathon shoe (most of the elite Kenyans, Ethiopians and Meb formerly) wear this on race day the Streak XC is probably not enough shoe for a full. I am pretty light on my feet and I could only use the XC up to a half. And even then my quads and feet took a beating.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 pm

If you want this for a marathon shoe, then you might want to try the Brooks Launch. Not nearly as heavy as the Ghost, but cushioned just the same. It is the right shoe positioned between a true flat and a trainer. Love mine - wear them (along with the Ghost for training) and I wore a pair in NY.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Ben Z wrote:Streak 3 or Streak XC?

I have both and while the Streak 3 would be a nice marathon shoe (most of the elite Kenyans, Ethiopians and Meb formerly) wear this on race day the Streak XC is probably not enough shoe for a full. I am pretty light on my feet and I could only use the XC up to a half. And even then my quads and feet took a beating.

The Streak 3. The XC would have probably destroyed my feet over 26.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down