365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going for a PR at the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

+4
ounce
mountandog
Dave-O
Ben Z
8 posters

Go down

Going for a PR at the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon Empty Going for a PR at the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

Post  Ben Z Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:05 pm

I've finally committed to racing my next marathon. The Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon on May 12 is where it will all go down. The last time I went out to try and lower my PR was in December 2010 so I am certainly due.

Even though it is listed as a trail marathon this is very misleading from what I understood. The course is actually a paved bike trail, but there is little to no gravel to be run on. Here is a description of the course:

COURSE: The course is flat, fast, and picturesque. Many people feel that the trail from Holdingford to St. Joseph is the prettiest portion of the Lake Wobegon Trail. The trail is primarily rural except as it passes through the four small towns along the route. In a post on the “A Prairie Home Companion” website, Garrison Keillor said this about the Lake Wobegon Trail: “I’ve biked the bike trail…and love the ordinary beauty of farmland and meadow and the towns along it.” The course is certified (USATF #MN-08042-RR).

The Lake Wobegon Trail is a 10 foot wide asphalt bike trail on a former railroad track. The trail is smooth and has no cant. There is very little elevation change at any time along the entire length of the course. You cannot get lost on this course. Runners join the trail after one mile and then simply follow the trail to the finish. There is only one turn on the entire trail where the trail ‘T’s’ at about 11 ½ miles and runners go left at the ‘T’.

I love races with minimal turns and from the look of it I cannot expect any better than this.

I am excited and feeling good about things this early in the training cycle. 2:49:59 or bust - I am going for it!
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Going for a PR at the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon Empty Re: Going for a PR at the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

Post  Dave-O Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Best of luck!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Going for a PR at the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon Empty Re: Going for a PR at the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

Post  mountandog Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:01 pm

sounds like a nice race. no cars, no noise, away from it all. enjoy and run fast.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Good luck on the PR attempt! I guess you won't be able to take any pictures?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:01 pm

Remind us...current PR is 2:58?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 pm

2:55. So it won't be easy. The stars will have to align...but I'm ready for the challenge!
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:21 pm

ounce wrote:Good luck on the PR attempt! I guess you won't be able to take any pictures?

No, gotta stay focused and run hard. But I plan to take lots of pictures in NY this fall as I've always wanted to snap pics during a 'race'.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:11 am

Good luck. Looks like a good course for the attempt.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Ben good luck with going sub 2:50! You can do it buddy. Funny thing is my PR in Boston was 2:55:xx and the following year I ran the 2:49:16. So it is a very doable goal. I did run Chicago in between those two races on a warm day and ran 2:53:xx. Even if it was a nice perfect day I'm not sure I would have gone sub 2:50 but it would have been close. Still I feel you have a good shot at nail that nice PR!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Sounds like a great race! I love the smaller marathons that are a bit different. Good luck!!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down