365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because I can say that now

+23
jon c
Joel H
amyjoann
Nick Morris
Penelope
Ken Mello
Julie
Tom H
John Kilpatrick
Matt W
Jeff F
Natalie
Paula Sue
Jerry
Kenny B.
Peg Coover
KathyK
Tim M
Seth Harrison
Mike MacLellan
Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
ChasMcG
27 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Because I can say that now - Page 13 Empty Re: Because I can say that now

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

Working on learning pace is tough, Chas, but you'll get it, and as for the honesty thing, well, it is the best policy right? Sometimes though, we do need to learn to bite our tongues - hard work, believe me, I know.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:03 am

ChasMcG wrote:So after a frustrating morning of trying to read and actually understand guitar tabs, I had to get out and clear my head. Tim went out with me and he made me run 3 miles with the middle mile being faster than the first and last. He's trying to teach me how to read my pace without looking at my watch all of the time and believe me, it's hard.

When I feel like I'm going 10:45, I'm going 9:30. When I feel like I'm slowing it down to 11:15-11:30, I find myself at 12:30. I have tried counting strides in my head but really after 10, I am tired mentally and physically.

My watch read a little different than Tim's watch but mine is the old 305 and he has the 605.

10:56, 9:55, 11:25

I think I showed about 10 seconds slower on each mile than he did but either way I did what I was supposed to do. Easy - hard - easy.

Felt good but it was really hot out by the time we were on the roads. I didn't bring water and I think that was a mistake.

Then I went and met a friend at the bar. I said some stupid shit to her trying to be honest and she got really mad at me.

Sometimes, honesty isn't the best solution. Even when you think you need to say something or just want to be honest because that is who you are, you should just keep your fucking mouth shut. OH and don't try to fix it because you just continue to bury yourself and you don't even know what you said to dig the grave. I want to be honest to my friends and tell then when I don't agree with something or when I'm concerned about something. Why hide behind lies? Change fate right? Well..... I believe now some things are better left unsaid. They will have to figure things out for themselves. I will just be there to pick up the pieces and let them make whatever choices they need to make to get through something. No matter how terrible you think it is. They have to do it themselves.

A very hard lesson to learn. I want to help people and I need to learn to back off.

Chas has left the soap box. Please leave your comment cards in the box.

Don't worry about the pace. As others have said, it will come in time. Probably more important is learning to listen to what your body tells you and learning to read it and then act accordingly. It does take a bit of practice and even then you may err occasionally but that's life.

As for your friend, it sounds like you are right in being honest even if it causes disagreement. How a person expresses that honesty is a point that can be debated and I must admit that sometimes learning how to be honest and do it tactfully can be a fine line. Hopefully your friend will over time come to appreciate your expression of that honesty. But you are right, no matter how much you want something for someone, they ultimately must make their own choices. And we must at some point stand back and allow them to do that. That is easier said than done sometimes of course. Sounds like you are being a good friend though and that is worth a lot in this world IMO.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:01 pm

I suck at figuring out my own pace, but also think that if I could do it myself, why would I even need the watch? Let the technology do the work!

Honesty can be tough, and sometimes people respond by getting pissed. Give em time to think about it, and they'll see that you were probably right. Better to be honest and disliked than to be liked for being a liar.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:52 am

Peg Coover wrote:It will be fine, Chas. Honesty is good and whatever was said, you meant no harm.

So, question: What is wrong with wearing a watch for pace?

You know there's nothing wrong with it at all. I just tend to stare at mine and obsess about it. It drives me crazy. I just want to read my body better. As for my issue, I think back now and know I did nothing wrong. She was already in a negative state and I pushed her over the edge. I didn't judge her. I was just questioning some actions by her family. Had nothing to do with her and my question was legit. I think if anyone were to hear the whole story, you would agree. Too bad. She wants to be pissed at me. sigh.

Nick Morris wrote:Nice workout Chas!! IT will take some time to learn your pace...as they say "Rome wasn't built in a day". I still think that honesty is the right way to go and your friend will probably eventually understand that you were right for being honest.

You're right, it wasn't built in a day and it definitely wasn't built in a week. Hard work will get me there.

I agree with honesty. I don't want to play games. I want people to enjoy their life. If I feel something isn't right, I think fate put me there to either open their eyes or slap them around. They make that choice. I did nothing wrong. She made herself some drama. I HATE drama. I HATE games. I just want to have a good time. Keep your damn drama at home!

Thanks Nick!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:02 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Working on learning pace is tough, Chas, but you'll get it, and as for the honesty thing, well, it is the best policy right? Sometimes though, we do need to learn to bite our tongues - hard work, believe me, I know.
IT is hard and I'm terrible at it. But if she was wearing something ugly, it's my place to tell her. If she has something on her teeth, I tell her. That's who I am and what I do. I hope she realizes it soon.

jon c wrote:
ChasMcG wrote:So after a frustrating morning of trying to read and actually understand guitar tabs, I had to get out and clear my head. Tim went out with me and he made me run 3 miles with the middle mile being faster than the first and last. He's trying to teach me how to read my pace without looking at my watch all of the time and believe me, it's hard.

When I feel like I'm going 10:45, I'm going 9:30. When I feel like I'm slowing it down to 11:15-11:30, I find myself at 12:30. I have tried counting strides in my head but really after 10, I am tired mentally and physically.

My watch read a little different than Tim's watch but mine is the old 305 and he has the 605.

10:56, 9:55, 11:25

I think I showed about 10 seconds slower on each mile than he did but either way I did what I was supposed to do. Easy - hard - easy.

Felt good but it was really hot out by the time we were on the roads. I didn't bring water and I think that was a mistake.

Then I went and met a friend at the bar. I said some stupid shit to her trying to be honest and she got really mad at me.

Sometimes, honesty isn't the best solution. Even when you think you need to say something or just want to be honest because that is who you are, you should just keep your fucking mouth shut. OH and don't try to fix it because you just continue to bury yourself and you don't even know what you said to dig the grave. I want to be honest to my friends and tell then when I don't agree with something or when I'm concerned about something. Why hide behind lies? Change fate right? Well..... I believe now some things are better left unsaid. They will have to figure things out for themselves. I will just be there to pick up the pieces and let them make whatever choices they need to make to get through something. No matter how terrible you think it is. They have to do it themselves.

A very hard lesson to learn. I want to help people and I need to learn to back off.

Chas has left the soap box. Please leave your comment cards in the box.

Don't worry about the pace. As others have said, it will come in time. Probably more important is learning to listen to what your body tells you and learning to read it and then act accordingly. It does take a bit of practice and even then you may err occasionally but that's life.

As for your friend, it sounds like you are right in being honest even if it causes disagreement. How a person expresses that honesty is a point that can be debated and I must admit that sometimes learning how to be honest and do it tactfully can be a fine line. Hopefully your friend will over time come to appreciate your expression of that honesty. But you are right, no matter how much you want something for someone, they ultimately must make their own choices. And we must at some point stand back and allow them to do that. That is easier said than done sometimes of course. Sounds like you are being a good friend though and that is worth a lot in this world IMO.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. There is much more I want to tell her. But I know it will hurt her. What I have to say will ruin our friendship but what she's doing is not healthy. I feel that coming soon because I truly care. I would rather ruin a friendship than stand by and let things stay the way it is. Too many people will get hurt.

Ken Mello wrote:I suck at figuring out my own pace, but also think that if I could do it myself, why would I even need the watch? Let the technology do the work!

Honesty can be tough, and sometimes people respond by getting pissed. Give em time to think about it, and they'll see that you were probably right. Better to be honest and disliked than to be liked for being a liar.
No kidding, thank goodness for technology. What would we do without it? I just need to learn to read my body. VERY HARD!!!

Smile

I
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:52 pm

ChasMcG wrote:T is hard and I'm terrible at it. But if she was wearing something ugly, it's my place to tell her. If she has something on her teeth, I tell her. That's who I am and what I do. I hope she realizes it soon.

And THAT is why I love ya! Smile
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:13 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
ChasMcG wrote:T is hard and I'm terrible at it. But if she was wearing something ugly, it's my place to tell her. If she has something on her teeth, I tell her. That's who I am and what I do. I hope she realizes it soon.

And THAT is why I love ya! Smile

Smile Thanks!! And I expect the same from my friends!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:19 pm

3 miles tonight at an easy pace. Tim told me not to push it. I just chilled out and kept the heartrate down. I did take a hilly route (obviously any way you go is hilly but this route has steeper portions). I just set into a nice pace. I slowed down into the 12's on hills but other than that I felt comfortable high 10's low 11's.

11:50, 12:10, 12:05

Hey! Tim told me not to push! I was chillin' on this gorgeous evening in Denver!

Smile
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:40 pm

2 miles and I kinda felt like I had a couple of bricks tied to my shoes.

Not really much else to say about that one.

It's nice out tonight

.......crickets

I tried to find an emoticon for crickets but I got something else. Ugly naked people. Weird.

Where's Lisa when you need her?
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 pm

The bricks might indicate you need a rest day?

Probably a trip to Denver in November again, FYI.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Peg Coover wrote:The bricks might indicate you need a rest day?

Probably a trip to Denver in November again, FYI.

Cool! Give us a call!!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 pm

I spend so much time writing my last post and I lost it! Dangit!

Sum it up

3 AWESOME MILES TONIGHT!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:58 pm

ChasMcG wrote:I spend so much time writing my last post and I lost it! Dangit!

Sum it up

3 AWESOME MILES TONIGHT!

AWESOME!! Because I can say that now - Page 13 424776184
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Yay on the awesome 3 miles! Don't you just love it when you follow up a tough or bad run with one where you just nail it? Great feeling!

I think pace is a matter of tons and tons and tons of practice. I think everyone needs some sort of feedback / adjustment, because if you go just by your perceived effort, it'll vary. I've noticed that my footsteps vary, too--I take smaller steps when I run slower. I think if you start out at a certain effort level, check your pace to see where you are compared to how you feel, adjust until you get to the desired pace, and then try to hold that pace, it'll be easier than trying to hit a pace just cold without knowing how fast you're going. It's kind of like, if you want to drive North, you can put the car in drive and go straight, but you still need to know which direction north is before you go. But yeah, I think pacing is an acquired skill, and I'm terrible at it, too. Especially in races when it's so easy to just go with what people around you are doing.

Good for you for being honest to your friend. Maybe she needs some time to process and cool down before she decides to stop being mad and appreciate you for your honesty. If she's still in the middle of the situation, she may not be seeing things clearly and may not understand your perspective. Hopefully she'll come around. Personally, I'd prefer that my friends are honest with me, even if it's difficult, rather than saying nothing and letting me fall on my face with my bad decisions.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Sum it up

3 AWESOME MILES TONIGHT!

I hate when that happens! Sad Great job on the run!!! When are you guys moving to Chicago? Heehee. Very Happy
December 1st baby! Get ready! Chubby Mary's are a callin' our names!!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

Sum it up

3 AWESOME MILES TONIGHT!

Seriously not nearly as awesome as you. I think you're amazing.

Penelope wrote:Yay on the awesome 3 miles! Don't you just love it when you follow up a tough or bad run with one where you just nail it? Great feeling!

I think pace is a matter of tons and tons and tons of practice. I think everyone needs some sort of feedback / adjustment, because if you go just by your perceived effort, it'll vary. I've noticed that my footsteps vary, too--I take smaller steps when I run slower. I think if you start out at a certain effort level, check your pace to see where you are compared to how you feel, adjust until you get to the desired pace, and then try to hold that pace, it'll be easier than trying to hit a pace just cold without knowing how fast you're going. It's kind of like, if you want to drive North, you can put the car in drive and go straight, but you still need to know which direction north is before you go. But yeah, I think pacing is an acquired skill, and I'm terrible at it, too. Especially in races when it's so easy to just go with what people around you are doing.

Good for you for being honest to your friend. Maybe she needs some time to process and cool down before she decides to stop being mad and appreciate you for your honesty. If she's still in the middle of the situation, she may not be seeing things clearly and may not understand your perspective. Hopefully she'll come around. Personally, I'd prefer that my friends are honest with me, even if it's difficult, rather than saying nothing and letting me fall on my face with my bad decisions.

Girl you couldn't have said it better. With both topics. Everything soon falls into place. We have worked out our issues and she admitted she had been drinking a lot that day because of the situation and no matter what I said, she was going to blow. We had dinner tonight and hashed out a lot of stuff and I think honesty (if you can handle it) will make you stronger in the end. I truely believe that. I also think admitting you just screwed up will help the anger. I have made a lot of mistakes as a friend thinking at the time I was doing right or at least trying not to make people feel bad when in reality it hurts the one you truely love. It's hard for me to be mean to people. It's really hard not to be supportive with someone I even like. I hurt more friends because of who I am. Trying to help only makes me look like an asshole. Smile I just believe EVERYONE should be happy. I can't stop believing that. I changed my life. I've lost. I've won. I've conquered. And you guys watched me every step of the way. It started at Hal's. And to finish this....I've had a couple of margaritas so now everyone knows I'm all lovey on drinks! And you don't want to be near me when I'm like that because I get touchie! hahaha Like really touchie feelie. WHO'S COMING TO BAYSHORE???

hahah yes Tim shakes his head constantly haha

Mrs. Schuey wrote:

Sum it up

3 AWESOME MILES TONIGHT!

I hate when that happens! Sad Great job on the run!!! When are you guys moving to Chicago? Heehee. Very Happy
December 1st baby! Get ready! Chubby Mary's are a callin' our names!!

Yeah we do!! Almost there and I can't freakin' wait!!! I just want to wrap my arms around you and never let go. I have to be honest, if Tim ever got laid off from the newspaper, we would pick up everything and go. We would be closer to Liam and to his family. I have no family and now that Kirk has passed away, there is no reason for us to stay. Tim has officially adopted the girls so we can move anywhere. I can sell pipe anywhere in the world, I don't need to be in Denver to do that and I'm good at it. You have no idea how much I want to move to the midwest. So I don't get to board every weekend, I'll figure it out!

Please note that Chas has had two margaritas tonight so please disregard her ... well just her hahhaha
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Hey - you're pretty cool. Friends, like family, get mad at eachother and do dumb crap all of the time. Don't worry about it - all you can do is be yourself, and that ain't half bad! Always nice to have a good run - good days, medium days, and bad days. That is basically running! Glad you enjoy the good ones - hang in there...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:38 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Hey - you're pretty cool. Friends, like family, get mad at eachother and do dumb crap all of the time. Don't worry about it - all you can do is be yourself, and that ain't half bad! Always nice to have a good run - good days, medium days, and bad days. That is basically running! Glad you enjoy the good ones - hang in there...

Thanks John! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 pm

ChasMcG wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Sum it up

3 AWESOME MILES TONIGHT!

Seriously not nearly as awesome as you. I think you're amazing.

Awe shucks...Embarassed
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:40 am

Tonight was officially day 1 of Houston training. I did some easy runs last week and now it's time to get serious.

4 miles tonight and it went good. My strongest mile was my 4th so I'm pretty happy about that. 11:49 avg

I have no idea what's in store the rest of this week. But I didn't have Pat Rizzo do my training plan like Tim did so I think I'm safe Very Happy

Tim went over to visit with Pat and asked him for some advice and Pat took his plan and marked it all up like crazy. Gave it back to Tim and said "This is what I would do" I picture this smile Very Happy on Pats face as he watches Tim's face look like this pale hahaha.

I haven't seen mine yet so I might be the same way!

Goal 2:15 for Houston
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:37 am

Yay!! It is always nice to have that motivational carrot dangling infront of you...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:21 am

Woot! Day 1 is always exciting. Then comes week 8 and it's, "are we there yet?" Enjoy! Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:24 am

Nick Morris wrote:Yay!! It is always nice to have that motivational carrot dangling infront of you...

Your carrot should be that if you survive and make it to Houston, you'll probably get to meet me. Laughing
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Ken Mello wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Yay!! It is always nice to have that motivational carrot dangling infront of you...

Your carrot should be that if you survive and make it to Houston, you'll probably get to meet me. Laughing

And me as well. We'll be there at the finish to celebrate!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 pm

yay for the official start of a training cycle! One of my friends I run with is going down for the full and I think plans to see some of the trials the day before.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum