365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

uphill climb

+28
Paula Sue
Chris M
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
T Miller
JohnP
Nick Morris
jon c
Jim Lentz
Penelope
Alex Kubacki
Tom H
mul21
ChasMcG
Julie
Ken Mello
Randy E
Natalie
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
Kenny B.
Tea from RonItch
Schuey
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Seth Harrison
John Kilpatrick
32 posters

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

uphill climb - Page 11 Empty Re: uphill climb

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:03 pm

For this triathlon stuff, I have always trained based on just how much I thought I could do when I thought I could do it. I just broke down and ordered some training books, one of which was a triathlete training guide by Matt Fitzgerald. There is a lot in it, but it offers 10 different training plans for each triathlon distance. I basically got it to start mapping out training for the ironman this fall and familiarize myself more with training (I had also picked up Joe Friel's triathlon training bible book a while ago) dos and don'ts. Since I haven't been following one in the first place I'm not that worried about following it to the letter, but I picked up on a plan at the point I am in relation to my race and will try to follow loosely some of the workouts.

I had to stay home my son today (sick, but now on antibiotics and will be fine) so had time to think about it. I don't expect this to make sense to anyone (it will take a while to make sense to me I guess), but am posting it for reference.
Tonight did a swim of 3100 yds and a 22 mile bike ride

Swim: warmup, sighting drill (lifting head every couple of breaths to mimic open water swimming), 4 x 100 yd intervals, 7 x 50 sprint intervals, and cooldown. All told, 3100 yds in 51:11, avg pace = 1:39/100 yds
workout
distance (yds)
pace (per 100 yds)
warmup
1:41
sighting drill
1:45
4 x 100 yd intervals
1:31
7 x 50 yd sprints
1:22
cooldown
1:44
cycling: warmup, ~28 minute threshold ride, cooldown. Total rode 22.02 miles in 1:00:43, avg pace 21.8 mph.

workout
distance
pace (mph)
warmup
4 miles
threshold
10 miles
cooldown
8 miles

Different kind of training than I have been doing for sure, but maybe it will help a little over the next 5 weeks or so? Overall it looks like some weeks may be a little less volume, but higher in intensity. We'll see.....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:28 am

It makes complete sense to me John. I / We do these types of workouts with running. It just isn't natural to me to do structured swimming and cycling workouts but it makes sense. I'll have to follow a more structured triathlon training plan next season if I want to get serious. Your training is still looking good. Not too long to go.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 am

Your training is looking really solid. I am benefiting from following a training plan this cycle (I guess we'll really see after the race is over, though) but I do like knowing that a coach or someone with more experience than I have, designed it with knowledge of what it takes to get someone to the start line in good shape.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 am

For HIM, that dropoff in volume and increase in intensity is still supposed to be really beneficial, since at this point you're just going to maintain your base through your warm-ups, cool-downs, and occasional aerobic workouts. I think in full IMs, some people suggest doing things in reverse: start with your higher intensity stuff and gradually build your base out of that, peaking in volume as you start your taper. Either way, mixing it up is an awesome way to realize some new results really quickly, regardless of what you're training for.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 pm

T Miller wrote:It makes complete sense to me John. I / We do these types of workouts with running. It just isn't natural to me to do structured swimming and cycling workouts but it makes sense. I'll have to follow a more structured triathlon training plan next season if I want to get serious. Your training is still looking good. Not too long to go.
Thanks - funny how to some (Randy for one) this would be a simple training exercise but to me this is the event of my lifetime (so far anyway). I'm getting excited about it for sure!

Julie wrote:Your training is looking really solid. I am benefiting from following a training plan this cycle (I guess we'll really see after the race is over, though) but I do like knowing that a coach or someone with more experience than I have, designed it with knowledge of what it takes to get someone to the start line in good shape.
I agree - having something structured will make it simpler upstairs anyway - I think it will be important for ironman training next year. I think at the beginning (where I am basically), it is probably most important to just put time in, but probably becomes more important to have a good plan as you go further...

Mike MacLellan wrote:For HIM, that dropoff in volume and increase in intensity is still supposed to be really beneficial, since at this point you're just going to maintain your base through your warm-ups, cool-downs, and occasional aerobic workouts. I think in full IMs, some people suggest doing things in reverse: start with your higher intensity stuff and gradually build your base out of that, peaking in volume as you start your taper. Either way, mixing it up is an awesome way to realize some new results really quickly, regardless of what you're training for.
Thanks Mike - I haven't mapped anything out yet for next year, but it will be interesting to follow a plan - my plan this year has pretty much been do as much as you can within reason without burning yourself out. I have seen things online for IM plans doing things a number of ways and each plan proposes it is the best way. Leaves me thinking the best way is to do some interval work and put in a lot of time swimming, biking, and running.....

For tonight - did my Wednesday triple brick at my local reservoir. Can't find my HR strap so it is going to drive me nuts not having it.....

Swim: 1.2 miles (2112 yds), 37:16, pace = 1:45/100 yds. Not much time to improve the swimming times this year, but I will focus on it more next year I think...
Cycled: 24.9 miles, 1:09:01, 21.6 mph avg.
Ran: 4.19 miles, 29:02, avg pace = 6:56/mile with the following splits. Short but good run following the other stuff.

mile
pace
7:19
6:59
6:53
6:40
6:22

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 pm

Damn...nice training day. I just can't imagine having to train for three events. Sometimes I think that it is difficult just training for one...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 am

John your training continues to look strong.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Looking good on the tri training. How long until the big day?
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

uphill climb - Page 11 Empty No energy

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks Nick, Alex, and Kathy.

I knew yesterday evening that I was feeling a little run down, but last night was awful. NO sleep, up all night coughing, hacking, sinuses, etc. Had to drag myself out the door today. When I got home I crashed and finally got about 1 1/2 hours of sleep. Just feel like something on the bottom of my shoe - was going to go out for a 8 mile run tonight and decided against it. Feel like a chump, but I just don't have it in me today. I guess I'll take today as my day off and hope tomorrow is better. My wife and son have been sick and I guess it was my turn. Hate missing workouts, but I got nothing today....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:43 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Thanks Nick, Alex, and Kathy.

Just feel like something on the bottom of my shoe - was going to go out for a 8 mile run tonight and decided against it.

Smart decision. A day or two on the sidelines won't hurt. Continuing to run yourself down might.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:58 pm

John,

1 few days off won't affect you much if anything might do the body mind and soul some good. You training has been pretty darn stellar so send some positive energy to your illness and just think of yourself as getting better no being sick!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Kenny B. wrote:John,

1 few days off won't affect you much if anything might do the body mind and soul some good. You training has been pretty darn stellar so send some positive energy to your illness and just think of yourself as getting better no being sick!

+1

Definitely good to listen to your body. It knows best. I hope that you get feeling better soon!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:04 pm

I've been lax on checking in with everyone, but I'm still pretty down and out with this cold thing or whatever it is, so apologies - I'm just dependent enough on all of you that I really feel like something is missing when I don't catch up with what everyone is doing. I wish I lived closer to some of you and could run together sometimes...

I just couldn't bear missing today's workouts even though I feel like a big dung pile. This is sort of another step back week, though, so this weekend will be somewhat easy and I'll try to get some extra sleep (something that I haven't had much of at all in the past two nights). My wife gave me a sleeping pill last night - it did nothing but leave me wired. What's up with that?

Anyway, went to the pool and swam 1900 yds (1.08 miles) in 30:40 for a pace of 1:37/100 yds. Good swim for me. I coughed every once in a while with my face in the water (gross I know) and I think it just made me mad enough to gut out the swim and push a good pace.

Had to pull myself together this afternoon for a bike ride in the 100 degree heat. Schedule was to do the usual ride with 3x3 minute RPE9-10 intervals in the middle of a 1:15 ride. Sounds easy enough. Wrong. I'm not used to that kind of stuff in the middle of my rides so it was hard, but I guess that's the idea. Got my HR up to the low 170s during the intervals, but got them done. Had a strong cross wind and couldn't hardly breathe with my sinuses totally blocked, but I feel better being able to check the workouts off my list.
26.43 miles, 1:14:41, avg pace 21.2 mph, avg HR 147

Goal tonight is to try to actually sleep.....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:40 am

John,

Usually if you are suffering a cold or something even more serious you will see a rise your resting HR along with when you run. Have you noticed higher HR of late? Reading your last entry I feel you are killing yourself rather then helping yourself. Just my observation!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:12 pm

With you being under the weather, those were some pretty tough workouts. Hope you're able to get some good sleep, and starting to feel better.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Come on now John, don't wreck yourself! I'm guilty of training through an illness too, but just keep it easy and maybe lay off the tempo/hard stuff! We want to see you finish that HIM!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Kenny B. wrote:John,

Usually if you are suffering a cold or
something even more serious you will see a rise your resting HR along
with when you run. Have you noticed higher HR of late? Reading your
last entry I feel you are killing yourself rather then helping yourself.
Just my observation!
I checked it out and you are right - it was about 5 bpm higher than
normal this morning. I'll be taking it a little bit easier until I feel
normal again. I'm not killing myself but I am taking note that there
is a line somewhere between being productive and counterproductive.
Where that line is is a learning process...

[mention]Seth
Harrison[/mention] wrote:
With you being under the weather, those were some pretty tough
workouts. Hope you're able to get some good sleep, and starting to feel
better.
Thanks Seth - if they were long workouts I would of
scaled back, but they were pretty short in duration. I'll be fine.

mul21 wrote:Come
on now John, don't wreck yourself! I'm guilty of training through an
illness too, but just keep it easy and maybe lay off the tempo/hard
stuff! We want to see you finish that HIM!
Thanks - I have no intention of wrecking myself - after reading the
above comments I actually changed my workout tonight and didn't do a
tempo run. Appreciate the support - not a day goes by that I am not
thinking about Sep 25th. I am also looking forward to seeing you nail your race on Oct 9th!!!

I basically sat around all day - still under the weather. The most
activity I had all day was playing the Wii with my son - pretty lame I
know. Switched up a tempo run workout for a 1 hour foundation run (RPE
6-7). Throat sore, head hurting, legs felt like I had sat around all
day (which I had). Leg started feeling a little twingy toward the end
so I walked for a few which helped. Feel better now that it is done.

7.93 miles, 59:34, avg pace 7:30, avg HR 144

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Take it easy, John - no jeopardizing your race in a couple of weeks.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks Michele

Low intensity brick workout today. Starting temp 92, ending temp 97. Low humidity so it actually felt pretty good.
Cycled 30.4 miles in 1:29:21, 20.2 mph, 123 avg HR
Ran 4.0 miles, 30:52, 7:42 avg pace, 143 avg HR

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:57 am

Give yourself time to heal up! Those colds and illnesses can really make work outs hard or impossible and sometimes your body just needs some rest to recover. Hope you're feeling much improved by now.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Hey John...I hope you get feeling better. It sucks to get sick, especially when you are in the middle of a training cycle. Hopefully you will get it out of the way and have a kick ass race.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks Nick and Julie - feel almost human today - whatever that thing was, I don't wish it on anyone. Last few days have been sort of a daze...

Wife's work schedule leaves me as Mr. Mom in the evenings (which is sort of fun - we teamed up and made the worst looking waffles I have ever seen tonight - the poor waffle iron...), so my normal schedule will have to change for the week. Had plans to wake up early and swim 2,900 yds. Alarm woke up and I didn't. Was in the field diving today so didn't get a lunchtime run or swim in either. Oh well, move on. In reality, I will probably miss tomorrow's swim as well due to the Y's schedule - makes me wish I would of got up this morning, but so it is...

Rode 1:50 minutes on the trainer tonight, with a scheduled 36 minute threshold ride in the middle. Overall 1:50, avg HR 129 - during the threshold portion HR averaged about 144-145. Still a little gummy, but I am starting to be able to breathe a little better which is nice!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:13 am

Catching up....

Solid workouts--your swimming and cycling looks great!

Glad you are getting over that bug.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:22 am

John you may want to just make sure you're really hydrating now. When sick it's easy to get a little dehydrated. As always just listen to the body.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:50 am

Doesn't diving count as crosstraining for swimming? At least like a kick-drill or something? Very Happy
Glad to see you're getting back to healthy.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next