365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calendar Flakyness

3 posters

Go down

Calendar Flakyness Empty Calendar Flakyness

Post  Pete B Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 pm

Shuey pointed out to me today that I entered a race on the wrong date in the calendar - the Terrapin 5K on Aug 4th. I saw his post before I logged in, looked at the calendar and sure enough it was on Aug 3rd. I looked at other races I had entered and they were all one day early as well.

After logging in and refreshing the page my entry jumped to the Aug 4th - at first I thought MattM may have moved it. But after logging out I saw it move back to the 3rd, log in it moves back to the 4th.

I'm seeing the same behavior with other calendar entries I entered today, correct logged in, one day early when logged out;

Cornfest 10K -Aug 27
PumpkinFest 10K - Oct 30
Houston Marathon - Jan 15, 2012
New Orleans Marathon - Mar 4, 2012
London Marathon - Apr 22, 2012

Anyone else able to recreate?

I'm using Firefox 4.0.1 on XP 5.1 SP3
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Calendar Flakyness Empty Re: Calendar Flakyness

Post  Admin Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 pm

I wonder if there is an issue with timezone settings. It doesn't know your timezone when you're not logged in. I would suggest that we always add a time to the event to see if that helps.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 pm

That it would shift a whole day? - I did notice somewhere something about the UK, or Great Britain, with this bulletin board SW, maybe from GMT to US time differences? But why logged in to not logged in? Doesn't know where you are until you log in.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Pete B wrote:That it would shift a whole day? - I did notice somewhere something about the UK, or Great Britain, with this bulletin board SW, maybe from GMT to US time differences? But why logged in to not logged in? Doesn't know where you are until you log in.

*shrug*

I really don't know. I added the Chicago Marathon on 10/9 and someone noted that it showed 10/8. I added a time of 7:30 and it seemed fix it. Not sure what's happening honestly. When I have some time, I might stage an event for test purposes, but it won't be until at least Sunday. If others want to test, that would be totally cool. We have the power to delete what we do... so test away! (just clean up after yourselves!)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks - I'll keep poking at it.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Another thing(s) I've noted with Calendar entries -

First, I think it needs to be spelled out that entries should be created ON the calendar and that this will create the post in the 'Calendar Events' thread. I think people are going into the 'Calendar Events' thread and creating a post there - hence multiple entries in the thread for the same race, maybe disable the ability to create a post in that thread and a short disclaimer to go to the calendar to create an entry.

Second, when you hover on an entry in the calendar it tells you the date of the event, author, and contents of the first post. But when you click on the entry in the calendar you go to the post, but there is no reference to the date of the event. Maybe contents of the original calendar entry should be somewhat standardized;

Event:
City:
Date:
URL:
Participants:

Other stuff - how do you/can you edit a calendar entry to say add the time of event, change the date, etc.? How do you delete a calendar event? Or does one need the supreme being to do this?
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Pete B wrote: Other stuff - how do you/can you edit a calendar entry to say add the time of event, change the date, etc.? How do you delete a calendar event? Or does one need the supreme being to do this?

Alright Pete as for your other stuff questions:

1. How do you/can edit a calendar entry to say add the time of event, change the date?
Here is what you do: 1. Go to the Calendar
2. Click on your race entry
3. Then select EDIT
4. To add the time go to the bottom there is a field "Hour of the Event" you then enter the hour and minute for the race. The entry is done on a 24 hour time not 12 hour. So if the race is at 7:30pm the entry would be 19:30.
5. The date field is right above the "Hour of the Event" field so you can add or change the date right there.

2. How do you delete your calendar event?
Here is what you do: 1. Follow the first 3 steps from above.
2. Right of the "Edit" button you will see an "X" that is your delete button.
3. Once you click it, it will ask you if "yes" or "no" do you want to delete your entry. Just click yes and the entry will be gone.

Or does one need the supreme being to do this?

The answer to above is NO. I'm not the supreme being and I'm pretty sure I will never be him Smile

Last edited by Schuey on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:16 pm

The other option we have is to handle the calendar here like we did before. We have a thread where people post their races, and someone is repsonsible for adding everything to the calendar and posting a weekly thread on who is racing... where. We can do that, and it might be easier/cleaner...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Mr MattM wrote:The other option we have is to handle the calendar here like we did before. We have a thread where people post their races, and someone is repsonsible for adding everything to the calendar and posting a weekly thread on who is racing... where. We can do that, and it might be easier/cleaner...

If we go this route Matt, I would be up to taking care of this if you or Dave don't want to do it. Anything to be able to give a helping hand to this awesome new forum.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Schuey wrote:
Pete B wrote: Other stuff - how do you/can you edit a calendar entry to say add the time of event, change the date, etc.? How do you delete a calendar event? Or does one need the supreme being to do this?

Alright Pete as for your other stuff questions:

1. How do you/can edit a calendar entry to say add the time of event, change the date?
Here is what you do: 1. Go to the Calendar
2. Click on your race entry
3. Then select EDIT
4. To add the time go to the bottom there is a field "Hour of the Event" you then enter the hour and minute for the race. The entry is done on a 24 hour time not 12 hour. So if the race is at 7:30pm the entry would be 19:30.
5. The date field is right above the "Hour of the Event" field so you can add or change the date right there.

2. How do you delete your calendar event?
Here is what you do: 1. Follow the first 3 steps from above.
2. Right of the "Edit" button you will see an "X" that is your delete button.
3. Once you click it, it will ask you if "yes" or "no" do you want to delete your entry. Just click yes and the entry will be gone.

Or does one need the supreme being to do this?

The answer to above is NO. I'm not the supreme being and I'm pretty sure I will never be him Smile

Ahhhh, thanks. Didn't realize the thread generated from the calendar carried along with it all the calendar entry attributes.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Mr MattM wrote:I wonder if there is an issue with timezone settings. It doesn't know your timezone when you're not logged in. I would suggest that we always add a time to the event to see if that helps.

Matt - I think you might be right here.

I went back through all my race calendar entries, all one day earlier than I had entered them, and found that the time of the event defaults to 23:00 if you don't provide one. I nailed each one down on the correct date at 07:00 and they seem to be OK at the moment.

Any way we can set an AM default time for calendar events? I know LV is in the evening, but ...
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down