365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog bite!

+9
Jack_Scaff
Dave-O
amyjoann
mountandog
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Dave Wolfe
Admin
nkrichards
13 posters

Go down

Dog bite! Empty Dog bite!

Post  nkrichards Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:56 am

I spent the afternoon in ER yesterday after a dog bite. It's a dog I have to run past as we live on a dead end road. The dog is young and has been running out at me but has always been under voice control in the past. Not yesterday. The owner was no where to be seen and the dog wasn't stopping. It's not serious...tore my brand new pants and I have a couple puncture wounds in my calf. It bleed a fair bit and is pretty bruised this morning but not overly sore. I was concerned about confronting the owner by myself but ended up not an issue. Apparently you are required to have dog bites examined and they file a report and the animal is impounded for 10 days. I had to ID the animal and the owner is not happy...she tried to deny that the dog was outside but she knows it's been a problem as she aplogizes when she is there trying to control the dog.

I've been advised not to run for a couple days, update my tetanus shot and stay in touch concerning rabies issues.

We all had a good laugh as I didn't realize how deep the bite had penetrated and finished my run before realizing I needed to have it looked at. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dog bite! Empty Re: Dog bite!

Post  Admin Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Ouch! In most states, there is also a one-bite rule. A dog gets one bite. A second incident will result in the dog being put down. Also, the dog owner should be liable for any medical expenses you incur.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Hope this doesn't keep you off the roads for long!
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:03 pm

GOSH DAMNIT!!! That really pisses me off - I'm so sorry that you had to deal with this - I haven't been bit...yet... but I am basically under threat from redneck dog owners every time I go outside around here. And the owner of this dog tried to deny it? Typical. I ran by a policewoman's house a while ago and had three of her dogs come after me - had to pepper spray them but luckily they backed off. Chased me down a block. Just one of many, many stories that I'm sure many of us have. Get some pepper spray - I don't want to read that you got hurt really bad one day. There will always be a certain percentage of dog owners that couldn't care less about anyone but themselves. Heal up and sorry you got tangled up with a rotten dog...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:53 pm

Arg! Sorry to hear about this. I blame the owner more than the dog. Can you pepper spray her instead?

Heal soon... and don't forget to get the tetanus booster! You won't want to mess around with that.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:11 pm

would love to put them all down, but it would probably end up ugly for me instead. I have always had dogs and had them 100% under control. If not, I shouldn't have one. Sorry for your bad luck.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:22 pm

One of m biggest fear as well,redneck dog owners that don't care.Sometimes they even laugh!!!!! arrrggghhh! I carry mace as well ,I;ve been chased but haven't had to use mace yet. You will probably have to change your route I don't think the dog will get any better,and it's not a risk worth taking
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:16 pm

amyjoann wrote: You will probably have to change your route I don't think the dog will get any better,and it's not a risk worth taking

Unfortunately I can't change my route as I live on a dead end road and have to pass the dog to go anywhere! The dog is still being impounded. I've talked to some people that know the owner...she's an older lady and is quite upset. Sounds like if she gets the dog back she'll try hard to keep in under control. I just hope she can...it's a young cow dog with instincts to herd and nip.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Just sucks. Sorry.

Seriously though, if the owner doesnt reimburse you for everything, check your local laws/ordinances. You might be entitled to attorneys fees so there will be attorneys that specialize in that area of law.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:16 pm

You're taking it better than I would. Heal well.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Loose and aggressive dogs make me so angry. I put a lot of time and effort into training my dogs for obedience and agility competition, but basic obedience training is so simple and classes are so easy to find, that I just don't see any excuse for these things to happen. If a dog is reactive to strangers it should never be allowed to be loose, and training is even more important just in case something happens and the dog gets free by accident. I wish it wasn't so easy for just anyone to get a dog. Then perhaps more of them would be well trained.

So far I have been fortunate. The only loose dog I ever came across running was a sweetheart elderly black lab who was clearly lost and, just as I was trying to decide what to do, the owner showed up frantically looking for it. Apparently a meter reader left a gate open-something that has happened to me before and why my dogs are trained to have a good recall (and they are non-aggressive).

But others in my area have run into dog issues before, and I do know of one person in my running group who carries pepper spray.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:50 am

Dang...Hope everything is alright.

Do you have a leash law?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Here's the final update...

My calf is healing up well although it looks like it may leave a scar. The owner was very cooperative and her homeowners insurance is paying my ER bill. The dog was impounded for 10 days...no rabies. I ran by yesterday and was a bit nervous but neither the dog or the owner was in sight. I spoke to a friend today and she said the owner has decided to put the dog down as she's unable to make sure the dog stays under her control. She's an elderly lady on a limited income and was quite concerned. I guess I have to give her credit for accepting responsibility.

Could have turned out much worse...I'm just happy to be back out on the road again. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Glad to see this all turned out well in the end (and you know what I mean, not the bite itself). I'm always wary of loose dogs when I run or ride in rural western NY in the summer. Many of the farms are owned by Amish and we've had a dog or two chase us in the past before the owner could come out and yell at the dog to come home. We always carry pepper spray - better use than Black Friday.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 pm

I am glad to hear that everything worked out for you. I kind of feel bad for the dog, but at least you are going to be ok.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:31 pm

We have a dog (Floyd) and I have no fear of dogs at all. I've never had an issue with any dog, and I think the lack of any fear is part of the reason. That and luck of course. My wife stops for stray dogs and brought one home the other night which we kept until animal services came to get him (18 hours later, lazy asses). Mutt, looked like a mix of pit, lab, and boxer or the like. Very friendly dog, got along well with ours. All that said, I cannot stand people who don't control their pets. I'm not bother by friendly dogs allowed off leashes, we do that sometimes. But the owner has to be around and if you have a dog that is the least bit aggressive, he shouldn't be off leash at all. Much like with kids, there is no intelligence (or decency) test for dog ownership. Sorry you got bitten, you really shouldn't have to deal with that.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:33 pm

nkrichards wrote:Here's the final update...

My calf is healing up well although it looks like it may leave a scar. The owner was very cooperative and her homeowners insurance is paying my ER bill. The dog was impounded for 10 days...no rabies. I ran by yesterday and was a bit nervous but neither the dog or the owner was in sight. I spoke to a friend today and she said the owner has decided to put the dog down as she's unable to make sure the dog stays under her control. She's an elderly lady on a limited income and was quite concerned. I guess I have to give her credit for accepting responsibility.

Could have turned out much worse...I'm just happy to be back out on the road again. Smile

Can't handle or afford a dog, so it gets put down. People are just brilliant.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down