365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marathon Cheaters

+8
mountandog
John Kilpatrick
ssilvert
healdgator
Michele "1L" Keane
fostever
Julie
Nick Morris
12 posters

Go down

Marathon Cheaters Empty Marathon Cheaters

Post  Nick Morris Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 am

Saw this on Yahoo and found it interesting...Figured that I would pass it along

http://whoknew.news.yahoo.com/who-knew/marathon-cheaters-27163218.html#crsl=%252Fwho-knew%252Fmarathon-cheaters-27163218.html
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Marathon Cheaters Empty Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  Julie Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:01 pm

claiming Pheidippides cheated was a bit of a stretch...but seriously, don't people think they'll be caught? I find it annoying when people even joke about cheating or taking a short cut during a marathon. If you're not ready to run the whole distance then just pick a shorter race instead of cheapening it.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:12 pm

Julie wrote:claiming Pheidippides cheated was a bit of a stretch...but seriously, don't people think they'll be caught? I find it annoying when people even joke about cheating or taking a short cut during a marathon. If you're not ready to run the whole distance then just pick a shorter race instead of cheapening it.

True story...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:36 pm

The marathon used to be 25 miles until the King and Queen had their influence. So blame them when you are agonizing on that last 1.2 Marathon Cheaters 666742919
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:30 pm

There were chip mats everywhere on the NYC course - about every mile in the 2nd half - no more Rosie's there.

I was told by some guy in the bus that someone had cheated at Marine Corps and was on the podium - any truth in that?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Based on my LSD of this past weekend, if I tried to shortcut the course it would likely turn into a 28.4 miler or something.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:29 pm

It takes a pretty pathetic person to cheat. Nobody really cares where you finished or in what time. It's your moment, your race, your experience.

Even at the elite level, few races are truly remembered. Who is the sad cheater trying to impress?

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:32 pm

I was sort of traumatized at what I thought I saw at 1:07-1:10 scratch. I have no idea why people think they could cheat, nor why they would want to? Idiots....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 pm

ssilvert wrote:It takes a pretty pathetic person to cheat. Nobody really cares where you finished or in what time. It's your moment, your race, your experience.

Even at the elite level, few races are truly remembered. Who is the sad cheater trying to impress?

Stan

Sad thing is I know who Rosie Ruiz is. No idea who the real winner was although I can look it up. But I will never forget her name. Oh well.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:18 am

mountandog wrote:
ssilvert wrote:It takes a pretty pathetic person to cheat. Nobody really cares where you finished or in what time. It's your moment, your race, your experience.

Stan

Sad thing is I know who Rosie Ruiz is. No idea who the real winner was although I can look it up. But I will never forget her name. Oh well.

Bill Rodgers? Very Happy
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:15 pm

Ah, but did Pheidippides even run that fabled distance? I understand he was more of an ultramarathoner. http://www.ancientgreekbattles.net/Pages/People/Pheidippides.htm
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:
mountandog wrote:

Stan

Bill Rodgers? Very Happy

Actually Jacqueline Gareau from Canada was the woman's "real" winner that year and they honored her in both 1992 and 2002 with special ceremonies since we all know she was gypped.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:52 am

And it continues: https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cjad.com%2FCJADLocalNews%2Fentry.aspx%3FBlogEntryID%3D10315844%26utm_source%3Ddlvr.it%26utm_medium%3Dfacebook&h=QAQEBF_zXAQFUJMo-JZppthgsYn9C1nyJpS_NI9N29V6rOA
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:52 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:And it continues: https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cjad.com%2FCJADLocalNews%2Fentry.aspx%3FBlogEntryID%3D10315844%26utm_source%3Ddlvr.it%26utm_medium%3Dfacebook&h=QAQEBF_zXAQFUJMo-JZppthgsYn9C1nyJpS_NI9N29V6rOA

Chutzpah!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Dave Wolfe wrote:
mountandog wrote:

Stan

Bill Rodgers? Very Happy

Actually Jacqueline Gareau from Canada was the woman's "real" winner that year and they honored her in both 1992 and 2002 with special ceremonies since we all know she was gypped.
You just offended all law abiding Gypsies everywhere!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewally and farnk Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Ran a race this weekend with old V-Team friends. I hit the turn around and saw V-team friends, then a few minutes later saw a lady with BIG HUGE ENORMOUS turkey feathers on her back.

Somehow this lady finished ahead of V-team peeps-BUT SHE NEVER PASSED THEM! She cheated in the last 2 miles of a 10K!

edit. Friends are not old, they are friends I met a long time ago..............
littlewally and farnk
littlewally and farnk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down