365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long do you go before you start with the ice baths?

+7
Michele "1L" Keane
Schuey
ssilvert
Jerry
Diego
Dave-O
healdgator
11 posters

Go down

How long do you go before you start with the ice baths? Empty How long do you go before you start with the ice baths?

Post  healdgator Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:48 pm

I'm a big believer in the ice bath, I'm trying to remember when I started them in the last training cycle. This past weekend was 11 miles and after a step back week, I have 13 and 15 planned for the next 2 weekends. I'm a little sore today (after the 11 and then 6 yesterday), so I'm thinking that it's time to start taking them after the 13 miler.

Assuming you are an ice bather, how long does your run have to be before you will take or consider taking an ice bath?
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

How long do you go before you start with the ice baths? Empty Re: How long do you go before you start with the ice baths?

Post  Dave-O Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:57 pm

I do them after tempo and interval workouts too, so I'm not sure there's a specific distance for which I take one. Instead, I try to hop in the tub after any "hard" effort.

Heck, I've taken them after easy days if my legs feel sore. Like you, I feel very refreshed after an ice bath. So why limit yourself?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

How long do you go before you start with the ice baths? Empty Re: How long do you go before you start with the ice baths?

Post  Diego Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Dave-O wrote:I do them after tempo and interval workouts too, so I'm not sure there's a specific distance for which I take one. Instead, I try to hop in the tub after any "hard" effort.

Heck, I've taken them after easy days if my legs feel sore. Like you, I feel very refreshed after an ice bath. So why limit yourself?

I'm smiling at a picture of Dave-O siting in an ice bath while he gathers testimony from a witness at his recent trial.

How long do you go before you start with the ice baths? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzkxHJ3pBDtBeXsPrmydJqfAjcErVAWi4j6kuIWwStH5Ke0CxMSe3thw
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Dave-O wrote:I do them after tempo and interval workouts too, so I'm not sure there's a specific distance for which I take one. Instead, I try to hop in the tub after any "hard" effort.

Laziness, but point taken.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:06 pm

Jerry is curious if ice bath is considered as a criteria for serious runners. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Jerry wrote:Jerry is curious if ice bath is considered as a criteria for serious runners. Very Happy

No serious runner would wear headphone in a race. That's the only criteria.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:53 am

Jerry wrote:Jerry is curious if ice bath is considered as a criteria for serious runners. Very Happy

No don't worry Jerry, I don't take ice bath either. I prefer taking Epsom salt baths in warm water. Smile
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:58 am

Schuey wrote:

No don't worry Jerry, I don't take ice bath either. I prefer taking Epsom salt baths in warm water. Smile

+1
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:54 am

I'm a big believer in ice baths too. I think they are my secret weapon when I compare my training to some of my buddies. I take an ice bath after every quality workout, time permitting.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:22 am

T Miller wrote:I'm a big believer in ice baths too. I think they are my secret weapon when I compare my training to some of my buddies. I take an ice bath after every quality workout, time permitting.

Ice baths don't work. It's just Tim's mental crutch.
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:53 am

wendy_miller wrote:
T Miller wrote:I'm a big believer in ice baths too. I think they are my secret weapon when I compare my training to some of my buddies. I take an ice bath after every quality workout, time permitting.

Haha that was funny Wendy. See there's another thing about training that we can agree on.

I think he tries to get you to do them so you can feel is misery of sitting in that cold ice water! Hey didn't you two once sit in an ice bath during the winter with coffee? At least I think I remember you posting that in an old blog over at Hal's site!! If so you guys are way NUTS!

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:28 pm

That is funny! I've never tried one and don't think I could bring myself to it.... Sounds completely awful.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Schuey wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

Haha that was funny Wendy. See there's another thing about training that we can agree on.

I think he tries to get you to do them so you can feel is misery of sitting in that cold ice water! Hey didn't you two once sit in an ice bath during the winter with coffee? At least I think I remember you posting that in an old blog over at Hal's site!! If so you guys are way NUTS!

Yes, we did. But I have been enlightened. I have read actual research that says that, while ice baths relieve pain, they do NOT improve recovery or decrease inflammation. The only time I might do one is after a marathon just to relieve pain. But as far as why Tim uses them? It's all in his head. They don't work!
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:44 pm

wendy_miller wrote:
Schuey wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

Yes, we did. But I have been enlightened. I have read actual research that says that, while ice baths relieve pain, they do NOT improve recovery or decrease inflammation. The only time I might do one is after a marathon just to relieve pain. But as far as why Tim uses them? It's all in his head. They don't work!

Research paper? Hmmm.

We will see if it work this Sunday.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm

wendy_miller wrote:
Schuey wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

Ha ha The proof is in the pudding sweetie. We'll see on Sunday. Smile
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Some of you had me convinced ice baths were a necessary evil of marathon running. However, I stopped doing them the past couple of years (years in which I have done 4-5 marathons a year) and I have noticed no difference in recovery time without the ice baths. With Wendy citing some research, I will trust she knows what she is talking about based upon her area of study.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down