365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When to Start Running Again after a Marathon?

5 posters

Go down

When to Start Running Again after a Marathon? Empty When to Start Running Again after a Marathon?

Post  sobele Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:03 am

I ran my first marathon yesterday (Atlantic City) and I was curious to know when I could hit the road again. Right now I can barely make it up and down the stairs and I sustained a pretty bad foot injury (I think I tied my shoes too tight). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Evan
sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

When to Start Running Again after a Marathon? Empty Re: When to Start Running Again after a Marathon?

Post  JohnP Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:28 am

I think conventional wisdom is to not run until Thursday. I like to wear compression socks and compression tights all week (under work clothes, of course), even sleeping in them. There's no need to get out earlier than that. Get some solid sleep and eat some good things, especially protein this week. Then Thursday go out for 2-4 miles and see how you feel. All this is negated if you have an actual injury. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

When to Start Running Again after a Marathon? Empty Re: When to Start Running Again after a Marathon?

Post  Julie Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 am

I also wait until Thursday but do a little walking in the meantime. Then take it easy, don't run too fast and just listen to your body and take a few weeks to build up to longer runs again.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:35 am

It's really a case-by-case thing. I always run short/easy (2-3 miles) two days after a marathon because it helps recovery. Cycling or any other aerobic activity works, too. Waiting until your soreness has diminished is also fine... whatever works for you.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 am

I always try the Thursday after and usually do two super slow because my legs feel really heavy. Then I try 2 miles again every other day until things feel normal. After that I just build back up slowly.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sobele Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:22 am

Based on how I feel this morning, I think I should be good for a light run on Thursday.

Thanks for the advice.
sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down