365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it wrong to just want to run?

+13
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
Nick Morris
amyjoann
Julie
Dave P
Dave-O
Jerry
Liz R
healdgator
charles.moman
dot520
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is it wrong to just want to run? Empty Is it wrong to just want to run?

Post  dot520 Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:44 pm

If it weren't for three entirely seperate incidents that happened over the past week, this thread wouldn't exist.

Scenario: I'm in the elevator race morning (Fort 4 Fitness this past weekend) and there are 2 gals in there that join me to the lobby. One asks "Oh, so you're running the half. What are you running for (bold intentional)?" Me: "For? What do you mean?" Gal: Well, which charity are you running for" Me: uh-no charity, I'm just running." Gal: "You're just running for you??" (curled upper lip).

Okay, I would have dropped it there although that irritated me. I get home from the weekend and talk to Gene's mom who really surprises me with this conversation. Me: Just got home from Fort Wayne, did the half there. The mom: "Did you run for a chairty". Me: "No, I just ran" The mom: "Oh, so you just ran it." Yes, like the other 6 halfs I've done so far and as long as you can remember me discussiing my running.

The cake: Just got back from the bank. The teller asked how my race was. I told her it went fine, the weather was perfect. Teller: So, did you run for a charity?" Me: No, I just ran it". Teller: Oh, so you just ran it. YES!!!!

Let me say upfront....I contribute time, money and goods to various local charities here. I'm all about that. However, I pay my race entry and I run the race for myself. IS THAT WRONG?? Sheesh. Running is an avocation for me, a hobby, a sport. I work, I run and I do my part in other ways. I'm sure that most of these inquiries are due to the higher profile that charity running has received in the past years....but don't even try to make me feel bad for doing something I love!

Thanks for letting me vent.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Is it wrong to just want to run? Empty Re: Is it wrong to just want to run?

Post  charles.moman Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Many running events donate part of the entry fee to local organizations.
I know most of the 5Ks I do are a benefit for one thing or another.
So . . . you ARE doing good most of the time, even if you are not an official charity runner.
You are also benefitting YOU - staying healthy longer - less of a burden on society and family by being healthy.

Dot - when you run you are being awesome in so many ways - really. cheers
Plus, you are just such a stinking nice person! Laughing
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Those are odd questions. 95% of the people in these races aren't doing it for charity. I raised money for St. Jude with my first marathon, but I don't plan on it for the 2nd one. I've certainly never raised money for a charity for any of my other races. I've pretty much decided that I'm not pestering the same people again to give money to a charity I selected just b/c I decided to run a marathon.

If you think about it, the whole concept of running for a charity is pretty nonsensical. What does my running have to do with a charity? I could just as easily raise money for doing, well, nothing. I get that it draws attention to the cause and gives the impression that you are "sacrificing" for the cause, but why running? Why not, "Cleaning Up Litter on the Side of the Road for Charity?" or "Sitting on my Couch Watching Football for Charity?"
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:55 pm

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I'll make it juicier by noting that a very overweight woman who saw me in a 50K shirt asked me "what charity I ran that 5K for." When I said it was a 50K trail run I ran for myself, she looked at me with a complete lack of comprehension and even suspicion.

I am glad that charity running pulls in new runners. I have chosen some races because of their charities. But it isn't the only route.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Why I always answer: I love my wife so much that I don't understand why she dumped me and don't know if I can ever love someone that much any more. "

One time, a young hot lady insisted buying my post race lunch......

Ok, I made that up. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Next time you get that question, respond with: "Oh, so you made your friends and family pay for your entry and singlet? See, I like to pay my own way into the race and not burden my loved ones with constant requests for money on facebook."
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Wow,... really? That's a lot of people questioning your reason for running races in a short time period. I've never had one person ask that of me. I understand your irritation Dot, because I would be irritated too. To answer your question,... it's ABSOLUTELY OK TO JUST WANT TO RUN!!!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:06 pm

I was surprised too at the elevator incident, but even more shocked throughout the week when I was asked 2 more times. Sheesh.

Onward. Check out the running gear section and see my new baby...sweet!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:18 pm

that is just odd. No it's not wrong to just run, it's not wrong to just like running and not want to race, it's not wrong to like racing or running in races at whatever pace you feel like. I have never been asked that before.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:05 pm

I think it's it just a typical nonrunner not understanding or really caring about the sport at all. Most people really think a race has to be for a "cause" and not just a fun race. It's ok ,they just don't get it ,Is it wrong to just want to run? 4044942068 let's hope one day they do . But it doesn't really matter cause we run races because "we can!" and thats the best reason I think
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:49 pm

I feel your pain Dot. I was in the dentist office this morning and got asked that same question three different times!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Jerry is going to quit wearing race shirts/jackets to non-running events. This is going to be painful. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:58 pm

I wonder if some of those people can't wrap their brain around training for and running an event without having the weight/guilt of all those people you asked for money hanging over you. The idea of running because you *gasp!* enjoy it might be inconceivable to them. Maybe they think people must run for a purpose - whether it's losing weight, lowering triglycerides, raising money, etc. Run for fun? That's just crazy!

Luckily, you're in good company. geek
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:05 pm

I do not run for charity because it is for myself, and I do not like to "pressure" friends and family into donating money everytime I race. That is non-sensical. I'm glad that noone has ever asked me that question though.

PS I was absolutely shocked when my MIL did the Avon BC 3-Day a few years back. She sent everyone a "donation" card and the lowest value on the card to check off was $100. It made me feel really bad if I didn't want to contribute $100 as a minimum to the cause.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 am

Non-moving adults never understand why we run. Dot's encounter reminds me of a few times when someone heard that I ran a marathon and they asked, "Did you win?"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:15 am

When asked if you ran for charity, always reply "I ran for Mr MattM". Do not elaborate.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:49 pm

About mile 23 of the marathon I ran last Sunday, somebody called out from their porch asking what charity this was for. I just said I have no idea. I don't think there was one. It's a small marathoner's marathon.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:It's a small marathoner's marathon.

What was the average height?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:45 pm

Mr MattM wrote:When asked if you ran for charity, always reply "I ran for Mr MattM". Do not elaborate.

I was thinking of saying "I ran for calories' but I think I'll use your suggestion next time which should be soon enough.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:07 am

dot520 wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:When asked if you ran for charity, always reply "I ran for Mr MattM". Do not elaborate.

I was thinking of saying "I ran for calories' but I think I'll use your suggestion next time which should be soon enough.

I think the proper response instead of calories would be your specific post-marathon dessert. So, chocolate ice cream, or whatever.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:01 am

I don't believe I have ever been asked that question, but if I had I'm sure I would have simply answered that I'm running for fun. But, I HAVE run for charities and it is a rewarding experience. I think it must have been a certain time of the month when you were feeling extra sensitive Dot. I wouldn't take it personally, that's for sure. Who cares what strangers in the elevator think? And I would just guess that your mother-in-law had recently learned something about running and was excited to finally be able to contribute something constructive to your conversation about your running. Think about it... she's been listening to your running stories for years and finally had something to say in order to join in the conversation and you shut her down. We need to develop thicker skins. Our running travails aren't all that interesting to our non-running friends, but we sure do talk about them a lot! Thank goodness for this forum so we at least have an outlet to talk about our running with other people who are truly interested.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:15 am

I responded with a "No, I am running for ME."
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 am

I think Natalie brings up a few good points, except that thicker skins = more body fat = slower race times. Gotta disagree on that one. Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:50 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:I think Natalie brings up a few good points, except that thicker skins = more body fat = slower race times. Gotta disagree on that one. Wink

I don't know, Mike... I finally got my body weight and body fat down to where they were in 2007 but I'm still as slow as I was at my fattest!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Natalie: I never took offense at all but was more or less shocked at the response of the gal who sneered at me for just wanting to run. The other two (MIL) and bank teller were truly flukes, for sure. Actually, I speak very little to the MIL about running because she doesn't really 'get' it. I get the feeling that she thinks its frivolous and gratuitous. She usually passes it off and I just leave it at that. I call her and let her know when I'm leaving town and why, then call her and tell her I'm back. LOL

Believe me, over the years, I've developed quite a thick skin....and yes, that's why I'm still slow. Is it wrong to just want to run? 4044942068 Does this emoticon make me look fat?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next