365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was I wrong?

+13
Michael Enright
Admin
Mike MacLellan
Nick Morris
mountandog
ounce
KBFitz
Jerry
carleenp
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
amyjoann
17 posters

Go down

Was I wrong? Empty Was I wrong?

Post  amyjoann Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:19 pm

I don't think I was wrong but part of me feels guilty for not stopping but hey ......heres the scenerio . I was running my usual route by myself not far from my home. This run I had specific time goals I wanted to hit and it was a huge struggle for me. I was hitting my goals with a lot of work I was running in the street like I always do.this car came up to me and was asking for directions,I didn't want to stop I was on a roll. So I said sorry and kept going this guy screams at me really you can't stop and help me. I felt slightly guilty for not stopping, but I was in the middle of a workout trianing for something important to me. Why should I drop everything for this guy,he clearly didn't understand and to be honest I'm torn was I really selfish ? and not a good person or just focused on my run doing something that really mattered to me .thoughts on this:scratch:
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Was I wrong? Empty Re: Was I wrong?

Post  Dave-O Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Not wrong at all. There's no reason for your workout to be interrupted. I'm sure he found someone else to give him directions.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:58 pm

No, not wrong in my opinion.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:19 pm

I've found myself in the same situation before - I usually am wearing headphones and pretend I can't hear them. Not trying to be rude, but I totally get it - if you are in the middle of an important workout, non-runners will NOT understand, but we do. You are not wrong at all, but the guy was probably ticked off - he will get over it!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Not wrong at all. The guy in the car just didn't understand-only a runner or perhaps other athlete probably would.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Not wrong at all, especially you took time to say sorry. That driver was an ass$$$ definitely.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 pm

You were not wrong in doing as you did. The guy in the car was wrong in calling you out.

That said, I'm lazier than you. I always stop to help, even if I'm doing a repeat. That's because I appreciate the chance to take an unscheduled break. I also know my city pretty well and can give detailed directions that I know are very much appreciated by someone who does not (know my city pretty well).

That said, you were not wrong in doing as you did. Feel no remorse or regret, I wouldn't. He showed really bad form by calling you out. Let it be.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:05 pm

It was your choice to do it or not. The guy should've accepted your decision without further comment.

LIke KB, I would've stopped because I know the area, if I understood the person's initial request through my headphones.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Hope you flipped him off at the end.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Not wrong...you should never break up a great run Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:42 pm

Shrug. I always stop. More important to help people than to nail a run, in my opinion.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:05 pm

I've done both. I've waved off someone asking for directions during a run, and I've stopped. The thing is, I'm usually not much help with directions anyway!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:25 am

You are under no obligation of any kind to stop and give him directions or have any conversation with him. For all you know, he's a mass murderer trying to lure you in.

I would have stopped. But that's my choice.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Shrug. I always stop. More important to help people than to nail a run, in my opinion.

I'm in agreement with Mike. If it's just a matter of interrupting a workout, resuming the workout is almost always not that big of a deal. I'd also like to believe that the person who was lost really needed the help, which in most circumstances, would outweigh my need to nail that particular workout. That this person reacted badly is unfortunate, and would also lessen the guilt that I'd feel for not stopping. In general though, I don't think it's too tough to be a good neighbor while out running.
I will say this though, as a runner, I'd have to be in a real bind for me to stop a runner. I bet this person was definitely not a runner.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:57 pm

I absolutely agree that this guy has no clue about a runner's perspective.

I have stopped before, but only because it was during a long run & a break really didn't matter much. However, if I was in the middle of a run when pace mattered, I would have said "sorry" like you did.

Being a guy, I'm not quite as leery about strangers. Women, on the other hand, need to be much more careful. I wouldn't blame you if you kept your distance even if you were on a walk.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Dave P wrote:Being a guy, I'm not quite as leery about strangers. Women, on the other hand, need to be much more careful. I wouldn't blame you if you kept your distance even if you were on a walk.

That's actually a pretty good point; hadn't thought of that. Then again, I also grew up in an area where an abduction would be pretty huge news and definitely doesn't happen often at all.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Not wrong and he should have understood that some people don't engage strangers especially a female alone. Don't sweat it in the least bit!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Wow, someone who doesn't have an app to find his way around town???? Kidding aside, best to just do your own thing especially in this day and age. It's rare that I will ever walk up to a car anymore much less when I'm alone and it's a male in the car. Those days are long gone. I'm sure you weren't the only person in town to give directions if he just went up the road a piece.

No big deal. Onward!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down