365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howl at the Moon - everything in moderation

+8
Jeff F
T Miller
jon c
Alex Kubacki
Jim fredericks
charles.moman
Michele "1L" Keane
dot520
12 posters

Go down

Howl at the Moon - everything in moderation Empty Howl at the Moon - everything in moderation

Post  dot520 Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Since mid June I've been in Physical therapy for Plantar Fasciatis on my right foot and nerve entrapment on my left 3rd toe. I've since graduated and have been told to wait until mid September to train. For now, I am to stay on flat land with moderate mileage and a slow speed (thats all I ever do). To put it bluntly, I wasn't supposed to attend this race according to the wisdom of my sport med doc. Apparently, he felt that it would be better for me not to be tempted to add extra loops to this 8 hour Ultra than what he specifically would instruct me to do. I find this very funny as pain has a way of making decisions for you and to assist in keeping everything in moderation. This wasn't really a race for me, more one of participation.

So...my thoughts were to run/walk 3 loops (9.87 miles) and walk/run or just walk the final two to give me 16.45 miles. This is more than I've done in several years as I've been doing halfs since my last chicago marathon at least 5 years ago. I did just that...5 loops, not sure what the time was, but I had ample time to watch Charles and Jeff go round and round in the afternoon.

Speaking of Charles and Jeff....what a delight to meet them both. Charles had invited me and my friend to stay under their canopy. It made the trip, really. Charles' wife, Susie, was a delight and fine company for the afternoon. Jeff, not sure how many times he lapped me, but he was going strong as well.

I've done trail runs of shorter distances and one 50k Ultra (Sunmart in Houston) and I have to say that this is one of the friendliest groups of folks on the trails you'll ever meet. Good times!

So, met my goal, didn't over do, feel fantastic, feet aren't any worse for the wear. Onward to training, I say.

Photo courtesy of Charles Moman

Howl at the Moon - everything in moderation Dsc_0210
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Howl at the Moon - everything in moderation Empty Re: Howl at the Moon - everything in moderation

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Dot - sorry about the PF woes but kudos for a fine run! Love the new photos too.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Howl at the Moon - everything in moderation Empty Re: Howl at the Moon - everything in moderation

Post  charles.moman Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:06 pm

It was SO fun having online friends at the Howl!
Now . . . where do I get one of those 365 runner bracelets? Smile
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 am

Who listens to doctors and such? Where do I get one those cool wristbands? Hope you are doing better and back up to speed!
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:50 am

Great job. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:48 am

Glad you had a successful race to report. Congratulations!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:02 am

Great Job Dot. I hope your battle with PF is coming to an end. Wendy swears by Nike Frees because she feels that they cured her PF.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Dot, it was great to meet you after all of these years following you on Hal's and now the 365 site. I hope your recovery continues to go well and you continue to enjoy your running. Hope you had enough fun to come back and do the Howl again next year.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks for the kudos. Jeff, I'm definitely planning on running this next year if my feet are in good shape. It'll work out perfectly for the training schedule I'll use for chicago.

The bracelet.....Kenny mailed it to me. I love it. I wore it to the race as advertising for the group and Kenny's company. I plan to wear it to all my races this fall.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Great job, Dot.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:53 am

Nice going Dot. Glad you are feeling good afterward. Who needs doctors any ways? : )
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:56 am

Well done, Dot. Definitely on the mend!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Nice job, Dot! Glad to see you are healing. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down