365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howl at the Moon Report

+5
Michele "1L" Keane
dot520
John Kilpatrick
Schuey
Jeff F
9 posters

Go down

Howl at the Moon Report Empty Howl at the Moon Report

Post  Jeff F Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:31 am

Well, it was not one of my better days. For those of you that don’t know, the Howl at the Moon is an 8-hour timed ultra which means you run (walk or crawl) as many miles as you can in 8 hours. Last year this was my first attempt at an ultra and I stopped after 32.9 miles to say I covered at least 50K which I did in just a little under 6.5 hours.

This year I was thinking 40 miles would be a reasonable goal given that I did 51.1 at the Hawthorn Half (12-hour) back in June. The weather was pretty decent for the middle of August; temp in the mid-60’s at the start with sunny skies and it probably got up into the low to mid-80’s by mid afternoon. We had a forecast for overcast skies and scattered showers but that did not happen until well after the finish and award ceremonies.

My strategy was to start out at just under a 10:00 minute pace and to run the entire 3.29 loop with the exception of the big hill for my first 6 loops or about 20 miles. At the point I would do a check and modify my strategy has necessary. The first 4-5 loops went as planned, I was maintaining about a 9:45 pace. I was carrying a water bottle, taking S-caps every hour and a gel every 45 minutes (exactly what I did for Hawthorn). During the 6th loop my stomach turned sour, I was light-headed, and I began to feel the early signs of cramping. I have never had this happen to me in any of my previous marathons/ultras. Even walking up the big hill I was short of breath. I almost quit.

I tried everything; I ate some boiled potatoes with salt, at pretzels, drank some soda, switched to a different gel and nothing seemed to be helping. I also picked up a couple of rocks in my shoes, so I stopped to change shoes and wiped myself down with a cold wash cloth. After receiving some encouragement from others I got up and figured I would walk and run when I could. I hit the aid station and asked if they had anything for an upset stomach; no ginger or peppermint, but they did have butter mints so I grabbed a couple and continued on.

After a couple of loops I slowly began to feel better; however reaching my goal of 40 miles was out of the question. I then became focused on exceeding the 32.9 I ran last year. Each loop I began running just a little bit more but would have to slow down to a walk when the cramps in my calves kicked in. I was disappointed, now that my stomach was better and I was no longer dizzy my calves would not let me get going. Actually the 8th and 9th loops went pretty decent; the thing about this event with almost 300 other runners and walkers you have plenty of people to talk and commiserate with at this point in the event. I finally set my goal to complete the 10 loops (32.9 miles) and then wait for the last half hour to run a few ½ mile out and backs to exceed last year’s mileage. When you are completing your last loop the aid station at the half way point provides either beer or a margarita if you are interested, so on my 10th loop I stopped and had a margarita. Actually, I had two as another runner started but did not finish her’s so I gladly volunteered to not let it go to waste. Ended up completing the 10th loop in about 6:45 so I had 45 minutes before the out and backs started. I figured I had to do only one out and back to beat last year, so when someone offered me a beer while I was waiting I took them up on it. Maybe the margaritas and beer helped because I ended up running (well about 90%) four out and backs for a total of 34.9 miles. This resulted in 28/63 for my age group and 92/279 overall. The grandmaster division was pretty tough this year as 34.9 would have been 13th last year.

Even though I was disappointed in my performance, overall I had a great time. I was able to meet Dot, Charles and his wife. They all seemed to do well; I will let them post their reports. During my 6th loop when I was hitting the wall I was telling myself I should go back to playing golf, but by this a.m. I am already thinking about my next ultra in October.

Later.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Howl at the Moon Report Empty Re: Howl at the Moon Report

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:41 am

Even though the body wasn't 100% for you, your focus and drive was 100% Jeff. Way to keep going when it could have been very easy to stop and wait for another day.

Wow beer and margaritas at the end of the race now that had to be a site to see. I'm not sure how straight I would have been running after 3 drinks and 30 miles!

Even though it wasn't the race you were looking for congrats and way to run more miles then last year. I'm not sure I could run a time event vs running a mileage race.

Do you find the timed events to be harder or easier to do?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:49 am

Good job on getting in done, Jeff. The bad stomach heebee-jeebees is my worst fear during a race - I know exactly how that feels and I'm amazed you kept going through it. Sorry it didn't turn out as planned, but you still turned in a better than the average mileage for the event - funny how the short memory thing works - it cracked me up at the end to read that you are already planning your next ultra! Glad you had a good time!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:54 am

Jeff!!! It was so good meeting you first thing before the race began. You certainly didn't look like you felt unwell when you tagged me at the half way mark on my 4th loop. You looked strong throughout at every loop when you went by the canopy. I will say though, while the weather was only in the low to mid 80's, it certainly did feel warmer and the little bit of asphalt that we did have (unfortunately on the steep hill) made it worse. Fun times, for sure! If I'm in really good running shape next year, I'll see you there in 2012.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Oh the stomach woes - I know them well (check out my boilermaker report). However, the trick seemed to be those margaritas so hats off to a race well done and obstacles voercome.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:35 pm

It was so nice meeting you at the Howl.
Sorry I didn't get to spend much time with you afterwards - I just wanted to get home.
I had a typical full Sunday morning heading singing and playing.
I am sure we will meet again.
Thinking seriously about the Tecumseh.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 am

Congrats on getting it done with the issues you were dealing with. Great job.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:43 am

They say that your problems and bad days are magnified in the marathon, so I suspect that's even more true for an ultra. Way to fight and beat last year.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Great job, Jeff!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down