365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride Hard to Run Better

+2
Chris M
Michael Mitchell
6 posters

Go down

Ride Hard to Run Better Empty Ride Hard to Run Better

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 am

Does hard biking make you a better runner? Since I have been using my easibly totable bike, I wonder if it will produce something. Here is one view ( I know there are triathletes here on the forum too)

Cycling really can improve your running. Researchers at the University of Toledo in the United States asked 10 regular runners to add three bike sessions to their existing schedules. After six weeks, the scientists found that the runners' perceived effort during hard runs was lower - they found it easier to run quickly - and, on average, they improved their 5K times by 30 seconds.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/triathlete/triathlon-bike/ride-hard-to-run-better/2306.html
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Ride Hard to Run Better Empty Re: Ride Hard to Run Better

Post  Chris M Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:24 am

The first key workout they describe is 1:40 long and the 2nd is 1:15 long. And the article proposes adding THREE bike sessions to the normal run workouts already done? That's a massive increase in exercise time. Sure your fitness will improve and your race times as well! That's a lot of additional fitness for anyone.

But if running fast race times is the sole focus, this sure seems like a horribly inefficient way to work.

Assuming that injuries are not forcing you to the bike and you could otherwise use that time running, I'm certain that doing running workouts for that amount at the time at the track will have a far bigger impact on 5K times than bike work.

If you want to run faster, practice running....faster. XT is fun, good for you, helps alleivate boredom and also is needed for people who can't do the additional running mileage without getting hurt. But there's no way I believe that spending over 4 additional HOURS each week (who has the time!?!) on a bike is an effective way to lower your 5K time.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:39 am

Hard biking definitely makes you a better and faster runner in my opinion. Of course, it depends on your idea of, "hard biking," and, "fast running."

As a triathlete I have become faster as a runner with more durability. Interestingly, biking more miles with some hard interval efforts during the week allows me to, "run less," and still maintain my running gains. Biking allows you to maintain your fitness with less pounding from running. When I train for triathlons and marathons during the same training cycle my max weekly running mileage is around 30-40 miles. And, that includes the one weekly long run.

The bike training provides you with the running endurance you need. Therefore, when you do run you should focus more on faster run training to maintain your quickness.

I am strictly speaking from a triathlete training point of view.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:04 am

Chris M wrote:If you want to run faster, practice running....faster. XT is fun, good for you, helps alleivate boredom and also is needed for people who can't do the additional running mileage without getting hurt. But there's no way I believe that spending over 4 additional HOURS each week (who has the time!?!) on a bike is an effective way to lower your 5K time.

Seems that way to me - there is a reason why top runners don't focus on biking. Won't find Kara or Ryan doing much cycling I would guess (but I might be wrong). Another example is Lance Armstrong, who only finished really well (for him) at a marathon after he really focused on running despite obvious awesome bike fitness.

Randy E wrote:Hard biking definitely makes you a better and faster runner in my opinion. Of course, it depends on your idea of, "hard biking," and, "fast running."

As a triathlete I have become faster as a runner with more durability. Interestingly, biking more miles with some hard interval efforts during the week allows me to, "run less," and still maintain my running gains. Biking allows you to maintain your fitness with less pounding from running. When I train for triathlons and marathons during the same training cycle my max weekly running mileage is around 30-40 miles. And, that includes the one weekly long run.

The bike training provides you with the running endurance you need. Therefore, when you do run you should focus more on faster run training to maintain your quickness.

I am strictly speaking from a triathlete training point of view.

Above being said, I think Randy is spot on when he talks about running in
triathlons, which is very different than stand-alone running. One
thing is you never get to run on fresh legs during a tri.

For me, it helps me to actually put hours in without getting (as) hurt in the process - I am, relative to most people here, a fragile runner and have gotten hurt trying to put in running miles higher than about 50mpw. Cycling helps me to get more time in - from a purely running standpoint and as Chris pointed out, it is probably a time inefficient way of training though. For injury prevention, I give it a Ride Hard to Run Better 424776184 though.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:07 am

If the question is "Will I get better results by biking instead of running more?" then the answer is no. You will maximize your running improvements by running as much as your body can tolerate short of injury and/or overtraining. Specificity is the best training.

Assuming you aren't going to run more (for whatever reason), will adding biking improve running? Sure, but so would most any aerobic cross-training. That said, I think cycling is great and can help break up the monotony of a training plan.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 am

I agree with the above. I'm not a great cyclist, but I do find that over the summer I gain a great deal of benefit from the fact that I am able to add cycling to the mix. For the last two summers, I have added in a couple of 18-25 mile rides in per week in addition to running about 50 miles and I know it has helped me with a fall marathon.

Now did the cycling make me faster - no, but it did help me get stronger with less injury.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down