365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Redmond Run 10K

3 posters

Go down

2023 Redmond Run 10K Empty 2023 Redmond Run 10K

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:01 pm

I knew this was going to be a tough run based on life recently but I was interested to see how it would go.

Last year several friends also ran the race.  We didn't run together but did spend time together before and after the race.  I was on my own this year and pleased to be able to concentrate on my race without worrying about others.  I was more nervous than I should have been.  Arrived in plenty of time to pick up my bib and get in a warmup mile with a few dynamic stretches and 4 short strides.  Did I mention was nervous?  I continued to fuel, hydrate, and used the restroom as I waited for the race to start.  Did I mention I was nervous?

It was much warmer than predicted and much warmer than I like.  65 at the start and 68 at the finish.  I know that doesn't sound warm but it felt warm.

The half marathoners took off at 9:00 as scheduled.  We were supposed to start at 9:15 followed by the 5K runners at 9:30.  I chatted with a couple of the other runners as we waited.  At the last minute they decided to start the 5K runners/walkers/strollers with us so they could reopen the road.  No big deal.  I positioned myself in the appropriate place for my goal pace and ahead of the strollers and very young kids.  We were off and I politely kept my place in line as we crossed the starting line.  Then the strollers and young families zoomed around the outside of the pack moving ahead of me.  We were on a wide road so it was annoying but not a huge deal until just a couple blocks into the run the race stewards steered us onto a narrow sidewalk.  And kept an eye on us with threats of disqualification if we moved to the road.  I'm sure it was a requirement of their permit with the city but...  We entered a multi-use trail after about half a mile but it was still difficult to pass and the damage had been done.  At the first mile split I was well over a minute behind my goal pace.  I regrouped and decided I would discard the first mile from my calculations and just race the last 5 miles.  It could still be a good test of my fitness.

Miles 2,3,4 went pretty well.  I was well within my goal paces (adjusted slightly for the heat and my continued life stresses).  It was warm but I was starting to feel pretty good about the race.  I passed the last aid station feeling fine but shortly afterward I started feeling heat related chills.  Not good.  My mood quickly changed.  I was frustrated and for a few minutes I wished I had just stayed home.  I considered walking.  I didn't and although I did wisely choose to slow the pace a bit I continued to run.  I eventually picked out Miss Pink Tights for my target and cautiously worked on catching her.  We both passed 8-10 runners during miles 5 and 6 and I finally caught her on the hill at the end of mile 6.  That helped improve my attitude.

I had been listening to Brooke's cheering squad throughout the race.  There were lots of them and they were loud!  I realized that Brook and I crested the top of the hill and headed for home at the same time.  I found enough breath to mention her cheering squad.  She replied that it was her first run in 10 years and she had quite a story.  I told her I would love to hear it after we finished.  We ran together toward the finish.  She crossed the finish line a couple strides in front of me. (But I realized later that my chip time was slightly faster.  Laughing)  So her story...she was a cross country runner but broke her leg and they messed up the surgery and she was told she would never run again.  But 10 years later she was back out there and running well.

Got something to eat, called Marty, ran a mile cooldown and headed home.

Official time 59:46 @ 9:38
AG 1/6
Female 10/48
Overall 31/86

Splits
  1. 10:30
  2. 9:21
  3. 9:17
  4. 9:15
  5. 9:35
  6. 9:44
  7. @8:46

Race temperature 65-68
Average HR 164  Max 179  What a Face

To contrast here's the stats from last year.
Actual pace on a short course @9:14
AG 2/6
Female 20/100
Overall 42/145

Splits
  1. 9:34
  2. 9:18
  3. 9:13
  4. 9:08
  5. 9:05
  6. 9:11
  7. short course

Race temperature 51
Average HR 160/174

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.  But, I’ve had a bit of time to think about my race yesterday.  And yes, I am disappointed but after thinking about it I’m disappointed because I can’t distinguish the cause of my struggle yesterday.  Life stress?  Heat?  Lack of fitness?  Yes, probably a combination of all of the above. 

But I am proud of what I was able to do under the circumstances.
  • I do think I regrouped after that first mile and ran at a good pace for the conditions during miles 2, 3, and 4.  I didn’t panic and run to fast.  My thought process was that this had become a 5 mile race and that I would race the last 5 miles and ignore the first mile. 
  • Then things changed in the 5th mile.  I started feeling heat related chills and I’d already passed the last aid station.  I’ll be honest for a few minutes I wished I had just stayed home.  And I considered giving up and walking.  But I was able to regroup and find a pace I could handle.  Then I picked out a target and finished the race pretty well.
  • I think I made a good decision to slow my pace after seeing my HR data.
  • I practiced racing under less than ideal conditions.
  • I realized that I could regroup and still continue to compete.
  • And I met some new people and had fun before, during, and after the race.
  • I acknowledged that maybe at this point in my life I need to concentrate on running as a way to help me deal with what’s happening in my life.  If a BQ isn’t in the cards right now, then I need to step back and allow things to work themselves out.  I just need to enjoy running and stay healthy until I’m ready and able to concentrate on a BQ.  That doesn’t mean I’m giving up…only that if I need to postpone my goals I will.

So it was a tough one.  But I'll be back out there tomorrow doing a recovery effort run as I prepare for my next race.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

2023 Redmond Run 10K Empty Re: 2023 Redmond Run 10K

Post  ounce Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:49 pm

You can blame it on the weather, but your mental execution needs some work, as you know.
Nice report, too.

My thoughts...chew me out if you want.
You need racing to work on the below because I don't think you have the same mental problem on non-racing runs.  So, either have your mindset as a regular training run or race more to be more comfortable with adversity, real or imagined.
Please work on extending the huevos you found for the final 5 miles to a 10 mile race.  Then a Half, then something further, then the Full.  
GET MEAN OUT THERE!

You need faith.  
Faith that your training will carry you.  
Faith that nothing outside of your control will bug you.  
Faith that the outside pressures of life will not cause stress in your mind.  
Faith in Dr. B (is that the correct letter?) that your ticker is going to be just wonderful.

Then sell that to Marty, so he's less nervous.

Getting your mind right trumps making sure you've practiced going through an aid station.

Embrace Fast Freddy and kick Nervous Nellie to the curb.

Learn not to react (which will take some time...a lot of time).

Didn't you get flustered at CIM around mile 18?  Was that the first time on the course that you got flustered?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:09 pm

ounce wrote:You can blame it on the weather, but your mental execution needs some work, as you know.
Nice report, too.

My thoughts...chew me out if you want.
You need racing to work on the below because I don't think you have the same mental problem on non-racing runs.  So, either have your mindset as a regular training run or race more to be more comfortable with adversity, real or imagined.
Please work on extending the huevos you found for the final 5 miles to a 10 mile race.  Then a Half, then something further, then the Full.  
GET MEAN OUT THERE!

You need faith.  
Faith that your training will carry you.  
Faith that nothing outside of your control will bug you.  
Faith that the outside pressures of life will not cause stress in your mind.  
Faith in Dr. B (is that the correct letter?) that your ticker is going to be just wonderful.

Then sell that to Marty, so he's less nervous.

Getting your mind right trumps making sure you've practiced going through an aid station.

Embrace Fast Freddy and kick Nervous Nellie to the curb.

Learn not to react (which will take some time...a lot of time).

Didn't you get flustered at CIM around mile 18?  Was that the first time on the course that you got flustered?
All good comments/suggestions.  

You're right.  I have lost my confidence...my faith.

I have some work to do.  I know that I have the physical capability.

I need to get my head on straight.

Thanks
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:41 pm

I'm sorry the race didn't go as planned. I remember really clearly my 2nd marathon. I was running with a friend and he asked at one point what was going on. But it was in the teen miles, 16 or 17 or something and I was thinking that I didn't even like really long runs, like 20 or 18, so how many more did I have, and why was I doing this? And it does take something out of you to be distracted or negative or worrying about something. (I ended up getting over it and overall the marathon went well...but that's a digression). Maybe this won't be a time-goal year, maybe it will be. I know you have a lot going on. I hope you can also be happy that you ran this fast on a not so good day, because honestly to most people you did really well, you know?

Piggybacking off what Doug said, one of my running friends always used to tell me "it's just a long run, it's just a Saturday long run" or something  like that when I was going to run a marathon or whatever distance. And I will always tell me that, and pretend I'm meeting a friend for a run and one of us says, hey let's go (26.2, or whatever) and just take the miles as they come.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down