365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felt a Hundred Different Demons

+37
Lauren
healdgator
Diego
T Miller
Glenn
Michael Enright
Dave P
Mrs. Schuey
fostever
jon c
JohnP
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Joel H
Seth Harrison
ChasMcG
KBFitz
Penelope
mul21
John Kilpatrick
Jeff F
Matt W
Kenny B.
Dave-O
Jerry
jdholland
Julie
Jim Lentz
Natalie
Chris M
Peg Coover
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Bob
GregC
Mike MacLellan
Schuey
41 posters

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Felt a Hundred Different Demons   - Page 3 Empty Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Well I found out yesterday when the mail came that I was accepted to run the JFK 50 miler. Today they updated the website and it is official my name is on there and I will be wearing bib #785 for my first Ultra.

I guess there is no turning back now, it is for really now. I have to admit that I'm very excited but at the same time I'm a little nervous also. Yep you read that right, I have that same feeling that I had back in summer of 2005 when I decided to run my first marathon. I know I can do it but it is the new unknown to me.

I'm really looking forward to this opportunity and all the new feeling and thoughts that come along with it. There is something about doing something for the first time. The only thing that has been comparable to doing my first marathon is running Boston every year. That is one of the reason I continue to go back to Boston every year because the feeling, excitement, and the nervous feeling I get every year. It's unbelievable that I'm finally training for an Ultra, again it has been something I have always said I wanted to do. Saying and actually doing it two different things, I can now say that I'm signed up and I'm training to do it.

I wanted to thank all of you for your support on my new adventure and your interest in it. I'm really taken back by the responses by you all and how much you all are behind me in this. So again thanks, it will truly help me get through what I'm about ready to embark on. I know that it is going to be one hell of trip with a lot of ups and a lot of downs but I do know that with all the miles I will continue to learn about myself and find myself.

Last edited by Schuey on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Felt a Hundred Different Demons   - Page 3 Empty Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:05 pm

Congratulations on being official!!! It's always nice to be officially entered, because it really makes things real. It's also great for motivation...the light at the end of the tunnel.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Julie wrote:I'm not blaming you, you just bring something up I've thought about in the past and remind me that maybe it should go back on my goal list in the near future.

Have you run other ultras before? I tried telling myself a 50 miler is just 5 10 milers but that wasn't as comforting as it sounded since I know how tired I am after many 20s.

I'm looking forward to reading about your training and know you will do great in your 50 miler! Running with your wife is always a plus, my husband and I ran together quite a bit till I got pregnant and it got colder outside and he kind of quit running. Now he stays home and watches our daughter while I run...not like having kids means one parent can't run, though. Just how it works for us right now.

Don't worry Julie I don't really think you blame me. I'm just giving you that little nudge just like Kevin gave me that nudge.

No I have not run an ultra before the first race I have ran has been a marathon. To funny I was just telling myself the other day on a run that it's only 5 10 mile runs and just like you I thought about how I have felt running a 20 mile run at times. Haha to funny!

Nick Morris wrote:I wouldn't be too upset about paces ranging from 7:17 to 7:25. Especially coming off of vacation and the humid summer that we have been having so far. Then again, those paces are faster than mine. So, of course I would take them...

Welcome back to your blog...I hope that you had a great relaxing vacation.

Thanks for the welcome back Nick and yes vacation was great and relaxing. I don't whoop it up much like I did but what the heck it was vacation and it was fun doing it.

I'm not really upset about the paces but I just wish I had a little more zip. I've just been having this sluggish feeling but I think some of that is due to the fact that we are eating a lot of less red meat and have changed our diets. So this afternoon at lunch I took and iron pill and I felt a lot better when I was out for my second run with Lisa. So I hope that is the magic trick will see as the week goes on.

John Kilpatrick wrote:I can't wait to see where your ultra training takes you - I think you would have a pretty big support team if you ever need one!

Thanks John, yeah I'm sure that I could get a pretty big support team if need be. I have a lot of great friends on this site that would be willing to help me out. Well at least I tell myself that. Wink

Ok time for a real quick update so far this week I have put in 53 miles and I have a good stretch of runs on tap for the rest of the week.

Friday AM 14 miles Pm 5 miles
Saturday AM 17 miles PM 4 miles
Sunday AM 13 miles

That would be 53 miles in 3 days and will give me a weekly total of 106 miles if I hit all my runs. It would also give me my first 100+ mile week since my Boston training. I'm also thinking about hitting the Trails out at the Palos Forest Preserves for at least one if not both of these long runs this weekend.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:24 pm

Congrats on getting in!! You'll do great, no need to be nervous. I can always pace you for 20 feet if you need it. Very Happy

What kind of long runs with this training consist of? What do you max out at?
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:32 pm

ChasMcG wrote:Congrats on getting in!! You'll do great, no need to be nervous. I can always pace you for 20 feet if you need it. Very Happy

What kind of long runs with this training consist of? What do you max out at?

Chas how awesome would it be if you were to pace me, I would love that! How about Tim we need to get his butt out there with me one of these days! I'm sure I will be fine and do well but there is something about the thought process of doing something for the first time. I know once I start running on race day all the nervous energy will turn into positive energy.

Well I will still do some long runs with fast finishes and MP since I do have Chicago in the fall. It's still up in the air whether I will race it or hold back some and maybe pace Chris if he would like to have me run with him. Other long runs with consist of being on my feet for 4 to 5 hours. So that means that I will be doing long runs with Lisa on the weekends also. Which works out pretty well were I can run a hard long run on Saturday and then run for time on Sunday with Lisa. Also I will make some of the long runs into fartlek runs because I know that in a marathon I don't run the same pace for the whole race and I'm sure the same will hold true with an ultra.

As for my max out distance I believe that I will get at least one run 0f 30 miles in but would prefer to get in at least 2 at that distance. I will try on one weekend to do a 30 miler and then run 20 the next day, I want to at least do that once in this training cycle also.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 am

Schuey wrote:Well I found out yesterday when the mail came that I was accepted to run the JFK 50 miler. Today they updated the website and it is official my name is on there and I will be wearing bib #758 for my first Ultra.

I guess there is no turning back now, it is for really now. I have to admit that I'm very excited but at the same time I'm a little nervous also. Yep you read that right, I have that same feeling that I had back in summer of 2005 when I decided to run my first marathon. I know I can do it but it is the new unknown to me.

I'm really looking forward to this opportunity and all the new feeling and thoughts that come along with it. There is something about doing something for the first time. The only thing that has been comparable to doing my first marathon is running Boston every year. That is one of the reason I continue to go back to Boston every year because the feeling, excitement, and the nervous feeling I get every year. It's unbelievable that I'm finally training for an Ultra, again it has been something I have always said I wanted to do. Saying and actually doing it two different things, I can now say that I'm signed up and I'm training to do it.

I wanted to thank all of you for your support on my new adventure and your interest in it. I'm really taken back by the responses by you all and how much you all are behind me in this. So again thanks, it will truly help me get through what I'm about ready to embark on. I know that it is going to be one hell of trip with a lot of ups and a lot of downs but I do know that with all the miles I will continue to learn about myself and find myself.

Wow! That was fast.

I have to admit, my heart skipped a beat when I read this. I'm excited and nervous - and I'm not the one doing it?

How cool is that?

I'll be looking forward to seeing how you train for this. This is going to be one long, strange trip! Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:24 am

Congrats on getting in to the JFK50. There's been times where I've thought about ultras, but then I realized that I'd have to train for them too. Cool

It's good to read that you had a lot of fun on your vacation. That's what vacations are for, right? I hope you keep feeling refreshed and ready to rock out the rest of your training.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Atta boy. Time for me to sign up for mine.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Schuey wrote:

As for my max out distance I believe that I will get at least one run 0f 30 miles in but would prefer to get in at least 2 at that distance. I will try on one weekend to do a 30 miler and then run 20 the next day, I want to at least do that once in this training cycle also.

That sounds about right. I have a running friend that does ultras and he normally has a few weekends a 20 and then a 30. If you can get a couple of those in, you'll be in fine shape for the race.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:29 pm

No turning back now.

I think your training plan looks about right. For what it is worth, for my 50 miler, in the 3 months prior to the race I ran 3 marathons and 2 other runs of 20+. I did not do a 30 miler during this cycle but I had done a 50K the previous summer. I think going to the 30 mile distance at least once is great just so you know what it feels like beyond 26.2.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Congrats on getting into the JFK50! I bet you will rock your first ultra. Peg and I can make it Sunday at Yolk between 11:45 and noon, if that works for you and Lisa.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Congrats on getting in!!

I know I mentioned it somewhere else but if you want another ultra I really did enjoy the Chicago Lakefront 50/50. Out/back x3 but I'm sure you're quite familiar with that since it's your area anyway and maybe that wouldn't be as interesting as traveling somewhere. I like running my city's marathon though in part because I do know the course really well and sometimes that helps mentally plus you get more friends and family to come out. Just an idea for next year maybe. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Mark B wrote:
Wow! That was fast.
I have to admit, my heart skipped a beat when I read this. I'm excited and nervous - and I'm not the one doing it?
How cool is that?
I'll be looking forward to seeing how you train for this. This is going to be one long, strange trip! Approval

Yep they were pretty quick getting the everything updated and people accepted. To top it off registration was done by regular mail no online! So it was really fast. I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one excited and nervous. Are you sure you don't want to do it for me Mark?

It think it's really cool! Always fun to do something new for the first time. Yep it sure is going to be one long strange trip but one that will be way different then any other trip Wink I have been on!

Matt W wrote:

Congrats on getting in to the JFK50. There's been times where I've thought about ultras, but then I realized that I'd have to train for them too. Cool

It's good to read that you had a lot of fun on your vacation. That's what vacations are for, right? I hope you keep feeling refreshed and ready to rock out the rest of your training.

Thanks Matt, I hear you about the training now I have to put the work it or else I will pay for it dearly on Nov 19th!

Yeah vacation was great and yes they are all about having fun. As for feeling fresh it looks like things are coming around and the iron pills are helping. I had a pretty good 15 mile run this late morning/early afternoon.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Atta boy. Time for me to sign up for mine.

Yeah get off your lazy ass and get signed up Mike! It's half your fault that I'm signed up for the JFK 50!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:

That sounds about right. I have a running friend that does ultras and he normally has a few weekends a 20 and then a 30. If you can get a couple of those in, you'll be in fine shape for the race.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on how the plan is working out Nick. If your buddy has any more tips for me please feel free to pass them on.

Jeff F wrote:No turning back now.

I think your training plan looks about right. For what it is worth, for my 50 miler, in the 3 months prior to the race I ran 3 marathons and 2 other runs of 20+. I did not do a 30 miler during this cycle but I had done a 50K the previous summer. I think going to the 30 mile distance at least once is great just so you know what it feels like beyond 26.2.

Thanks for your input Jeff, it is very important to me since you have run a race of 50 miles, so please keep the advice coming on anything you can think of anything that you feel that can help get me ready for my first 50 miler.

Jim Lentz wrote:Congrats on getting into the JFK50! I bet you will rock your first ultra. Peg and I can make it Sunday at Yolk between 11:45 and noon, if that works for you and Lisa.

I feel that if I put the training in and I take care of myself this summer, I feel I could have a good shot at having a pretty good ultra debut. Time will tell. As for the Yolk let me check with Lisa and we will get back to you on that.

Julie wrote:Congrats on getting in!!

I know I mentioned it somewhere else but if you want another ultra I really did enjoy the Chicago Lakefront 50/50. Out/back x3 but I'm sure you're quite familiar with that since it's your area anyway and maybe that wouldn't be as interesting as traveling somewhere. I like running my city's marathon though in part because I do know the course really well and sometimes that helps mentally plus you get more friends and family to come out. Just an idea for next year maybe. Very Happy

Thanks Julie, as for the Chicago Lakefront 50k I'm thinking about doing it as a training run. Although I run on the path pretty much everyday. Actually I ran part of the course today on my 15 mile run, but I feel that it might be good to do that race and have the on course support and give me a chance to practice some fueling during that race. I will do it during other runs but having the support right there for me at the aid stations will make it a lot easier.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Congrats on getting in - that is an accomplishment in itself! I think you'll be fine with your normal high mileage training for both Chicago and the 50, but isn't the JFK race on trail in some places? I've been looking for a link that I had to a friend's blog who ran the race in 2004 and I simply recall some trail if not all trail and some that was quite technical - so if I'm correct (and I might be losing it), make sure you get some good trail runs in out at Waterfall Glen and anywhere else that might have some technical trail.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Congrats on getting in - that is an accomplishment in itself! I think you'll be fine with your normal high mileage training for both Chicago and the 50, but isn't the JFK race on trail in some places? I've been looking for a link that I had to a friend's blog who ran the race in 2004 and I simply recall some trail if not all trail and some that was quite technical - so if I'm correct (and I might be losing it), make sure you get some good trail runs in out at Waterfall Glen and anywhere else that might have some technical trail.

No you are not losing it Michele, some of the race is on very technical trail(Appalachian). So I will be doing some trail running this summer. I have plans to go up to the Ice Age Trail in Wi. and up the Superior Hiking Trail up in Mn. to get in some technical trail training. Yes I plan on hitting up Waterfall Glenn, the trails in the Palos Forest Reserve, Starved Rock and Shawnee National Forest down in Southern Il.

Here is a description of the course:

COURSE DESCRIPTION: The first 5.5 miles (starting on road surface and joining the Appalachian Trail at 2.5 miles) gains 1,172 feet in elevation. The course from 2.5 to 15.5 miles is on the Appalachian Trail (except for two miles of paved road between 3.5 and 5.5 miles). This section of the AT is very rocky in sections as it rolls across the mountain ridge. At approximately 14.5 miles the course drops over 1,000 feet in a series of steep “switchbacks” that then crosses under Rt. 340 and connects with the C&O Canal towpath. The “Canal” section of the JFK 50 Mile is 26.3 miles (from 15.5-41.8 miles) of almost totally flat unpaved dirt/gravel surface that is free of all automotive vehicle traffic. The JFK 50 Mile route leaves the C&O Canal towpath at Dam #4 and proceeds to follow gently rolling paved country roads the last 8.4 miles to the finish. The Boonsboro start is at an elevation of 570 feet. The Williamsport finish is at 452 feet above sea level.

Also here is a chart that Kevin sent me:
Felt a Hundred Different Demons   - Page 3 Jfk50e10
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Great to stare down a challenge like that - good luck!

Last edited by John Kilpatrick on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : didn't mean to post the big youtube video (just meant to post the web address) and hijack the webpage - sorry about that)

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:12 am

Welcome to your new age division, Schuey! bounce bounce bounce bounce
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:11 am

Mark B wrote:Welcome to your new age division, Schuey! bounce bounce bounce bounce

Thanks Mark I just kicked it off by doing a 17.10 mile run! Great way to start the day.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:38 am

Schuey wrote:
Mark B wrote:Welcome to your new age division, Schuey! bounce bounce bounce bounce

Thanks Mark I just kicked it off by doing a 17.10 mile run! Great way to start the day.

I was just about to do that too. Smile

Have a great day!
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 am

Happy Birthday!!! Way to knock out 17 miles!!cheers cheers
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:47 am

Happy Birthday Schuey! Feels good to get the long one out of the way first thing on Saturday morning and have the whole weekend ahead of you.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:38 am

Matt W wrote:
Schuey wrote:

I was just about to do that too. Smile

Have a great day!

Thanks Matt, now get your ass out the door and knock out that 17 mile run would you! tongue

Nick Morris wrote:Happy Birthday!!! Way to knock out 17 miles!!cheers cheers

Thanks Nick yeah it feels great to have the 17 miler out of the way today. Still have one more run to do but it will be a short recovery run just to get the blood flowing and remove any stiffness.

mul21 wrote:Happy Birthday Schuey! Feels good to get the long one out of the way first thing on Saturday morning and have the whole weekend ahead of you.

Thanks Jim, yeah feel great to have it out of the way. No reason I can't have a couple of beers and still go out and knock out a 4 to 5 mile run later this afternoon at recovery pace. I guess you could say I will be pulling a Dave-O by doing that drunken Still have one more mid-long run to do tomorrow of 13 miles, but it won't be that bad since I'm doing it with Lisa. The good thing about it, it will give me some more time on my feet.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:04 am

Great run to celebrate the b-day! Kevin has great experience at the JFK 50 and a good portion is on the AT which is technical from what I have read. If you have good technical trails by you it would make sense to run on them at times. I know when I do a 50 (soon) training on technical trails is not an option as I don't have anything near me. Most likely will be doing a 50 road race or easy trails to which I can mimic in training.

So exciting to move to a new level.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:05 am

I will go into more detail about my week in running tomorrow but I figured I would give a little update about the last two days.

7/15 AM 15.07-1:50:01 @ 7:18 pace. Not one of most spectacular mid long runs but I'll take and there was a lot of great things that came from this run. The first and most important was that I actually felt like I had some zip/life to my legs. All week long it seems like I have just been down right struggling until this run. So hopefully it's time to turn the corner. the weather wasn't that bad either 81 degrees, 45% humidity and 58 degree dew point.

7/15 PM 6.10-46.12 @ 7:34 pace. Nice little slow easy run, the funny thing about this run I could have ran it faster. I was really surprised on how fresh I felt after running 15 miles earlier in the day but I did hold myself back from running any faster.

7/16 AM 17.13-2:07:47 @ 7:27 pace. Ok again not a barn burner of a long run but it was a good one for me. First off it was a little tough do to the fact that I have to get use to running a 5:40 in the morning. My body is not use to doing that but I figure the more I do it the more the body will adjust to it. I also knew at some point this morning that the run would feel a little tough due to putting in a total of 21 miles yesterday. Let's face it I'm no superman or spring chicken so I knew my legs would feel it a little on this run.
To my surprise I was knocking out the miles pretty easy and it felt good. I knew that I want to keep this run a little slower then yesterday's 15 mile and wanted to spend some time on my feet. The run seemed to get tough for me after stopping at 11 miles to get some water and use the restroom. I knew that since I had not stopped earlier in the run that I should have keep going, legs got a little tight and the next 2 miles felt like a struggle and I had lost my groove a little. Part of was I really wasn't putting much pressure on myself to run a certain pace so I feel that is the biggest reason I fell off the pace I was running. After hitting 13 I was back into a groove again. The last 1.13 miles I just put it into recovery mood and enjoyed the end of the run on my birthday. Something about finishing up a long run first thing in the morning and the peacefulness that goes with it.

One more run to do later today but that will be a short recovery run. Then it is on to 1 last mid-long run of 13 miles tomorrow morning with Lisa. I will use this run to have some more time on my feet.

So far for the week:

Total Distance: 91.27 miles

Last edited by Schuey on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next