365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking toward the fall

+12
Alex Kubacki
Mrs. Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Julie
Peg Coover
Natalie
Kenny B.
Schuey
jon c
16 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Looking toward the fall - Page 5 Empty Re: Looking toward the fall

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:56 am

Sorry to read about the spill Jon. It looks like you're taking it cautiously (with some help from the heat and humidity). I hope you're back to 100% soon.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Sorry to read about the spill Jon. It looks like you're taking it cautiously (with some help from the heat and humidity). I hope you're back to 100% soon.

Thanks Seth, I think that I have dodged a bullet here as things went fairly normally with the knee the rest of this week.

Went out with my running friend for nine late this afternoon. It is getting a bit warmer and I see the forecast is calling for 90s early in the coming week. I imagine the humidity will be hanging with us yet for awhile too.

Overall the week went OK considering my fall and some of the obstacles that life threw in the way. I did lose out on at least two runs and cut another one short a couple miles due to the heat and humidity. This was the first week this has happened this training cycle so I should not be too disappointed. Still ended up with a 60 mile week which is good for me anyway. Progression of weeks has been 34/41/54/61/70/56/60.

I hope to peak my mileage in the next two weeks. That's the plan anyway. We'll see if it works out or if life gets in the way. bounce
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Glad to hear that the knee is feeling better since the fall. I'm so happy that we haven't had a relapse with the high humidity and heat here in Chicago. I don't know if I could take another bout of it.

"Ed Stewart was quite the fast linebacker. He would have fit in well in Pelini's defensive scheme even today."

Yes Ed would fit in great with Pelini's defensive scheme. Ed used to play running back with us in H.S. until a good friend of ours blew out his knee our Senior year. They asked Ed to play defensive back. He didn't hesitate to come over and play defense and as you know at Nebraska they moved him to being an outside linebacker. One hell of a ballplayer better yet he is still one hell of a guy!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Good week of running! We do have humidity still. I guess we'll have good fall races after all the summer training, or I am trying stay positive and thing that. Very Happy

Best wishes on building up the mileage these next few weeks, stay injury free!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Jon, catching up a bit, glad to see you are OK after that fall. Last year I was running in a strange city and also must have tripped on a crack in the sidewalk. I remember vividly falling down and extending my arms to break the fall, and then getting up and running again. I had some scrapes on my hands and the whole thing sounds like what you did, it's a bit unnerving. I attribute it to not really paying attention. Also, did anyone ever answer the question about a radio? I am pretty sure the iPod Nano has a radio in it.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Great news about your knee! I read about your run in the humidity - it is amazing to me what the humidity does to me in terms of the effort I have to put into a run to get an average result. Hopefully it will cool down for you soon.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:44 am

Jon nice to hear the knee is coming back. The mileage build up looks really good.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:10 am

Schuey wrote:Glad to hear that the knee is feeling better since the fall. I'm so happy that we haven't had a relapse with the high humidity and heat here in Chicago. I don't know if I could take another bout of it.

"Ed Stewart was quite the fast linebacker. He would have fit in well in Pelini's defensive scheme even today."

Yes Ed would fit in great with Pelini's defensive scheme. Ed used to play running back with us in H.S. until a good friend of ours blew out his knee our Senior year. They asked Ed to play defensive back. He didn't hesitate to come over and play defense and as you know at Nebraska they moved him to being an outside linebacker. One hell of a ballplayer better yet he is still one hell of a guy!

Thanks Schuey! Appreciate your encouragement!

I remember it being a bit controversial since Ed Stewart was considered undersized, but he more than made up for it with his speed. And of course, that philosophy carried over the next several years and with the option offense and solid defense, the rest is history.
I think Lavonte David as a fast linebacker running to the ball is similar in nature but he is not an outside backer. Now if NU can field a more consistent offense, who knows? It should be a fun year.

Julie wrote:Good week of running! We do have humidity still. I guess we'll have good fall races after all the summer training, or I am trying stay positive and thing that. Very Happy

Best wishes on building up the mileage these next few weeks, stay injury free!!

Thanks Julie! I'm encouraged to see that you are getting closer to your goal as well! This week is supposed to be warmer unfortunately, but we'll try to make the best of it.

JohnP wrote:Jon, catching up a bit, glad to see you are OK after that fall. Last year I was running in a strange city and also must have tripped on a crack in the sidewalk. I remember vividly falling down and extending my arms to break the fall, and then getting up and running again. I had some scrapes on my hands and the whole thing sounds like what you did, it's a bit unnerving. I attribute it to not really paying attention. Also, did anyone ever answer the question about a radio? I am pretty sure the iPod Nano has a radio in it.
John, I ended up buying an old walkman style radio that you wrap around your upper arm. It works fine, although I don't like too much pressure on the arm. But yes, I did find one that should work OK. Thanks for asking.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Great news about your knee! I read about your run in the humidity - it is amazing to me what the humidity does to me in terms of the effort I have to put into a run to get an average result. Hopefully it will cool down for you soon.
Thanks John, it's not as much an issue to do an easy run, but any stressful pace simply flattens me with a high heat index. I'm sure it will cool down here before it does for you.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Jon nice to hear the knee is coming back. The mileage build up looks really good.
Thanks Alex, appreciate your encouragement! We'll see how the next two weeks unfold.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Hopefully it will be cooling down there soon, Jon.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:15 pm

This is my first post on your blog so I had to kind of catch up. First off, best wishes on the fall marathon. Second, love the adoption story, looks like a great kid who's thriving under you and your wife's care, hope you continue to be blessed. We have a couple in our church family that adopted two babes born with similar circumstances, they also have two of their own. Last, it looks like you are enduring a crazy hot summer with some consistent training, good job. I'm really clumsy and do that falling thing a lot, surprised not more. The wife is always laughing about my Klutziness Embarassed and says that my daughter inherited those genes. Anyhoo, good runing to ya!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Hopefully it will be cooling down there soon, Jon.

Hope so too Jim. It was not cool today!

fostever wrote:This is my first post on your blog so I had to kind of catch up. First off, best wishes on the fall marathon. Second, love the adoption story, looks like a great kid who's thriving under you and your wife's care, hope you continue to be blessed. We have a couple in our church family that adopted two babes born with similar circumstances, they also have two of their own. Last, it looks like you are enduring a crazy hot summer with some consistent training, good job. I'm really clumsy and do that falling thing a lot, surprised not more. The wife is always laughing about my Klutziness Embarassed and says that my daughter inherited those genes. Anyhoo, good runing to ya!

Thanks for your kind comments. I will always have respect for those who raise more than one child. It certainly has to be a bit more challenging than only one. As for klutziness, I think that was my middle name growing up. Not quite as bad now, but still have those tendencies.

Well the week got off to a smashing start with 91/79 which yielded a 107 heat index. Carried a water bottle and did a 6.3 over lunchtime. Totally soaked afterward as you might imagine. Did another 5.8 tonight. Temps were cooler but the dewpoint was 81. It's supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow but not significantly. This week is going to be tough heat and humidity wise it looks like. Sigh. But we press on.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:57 am

It's always embarassing to trip over a crack! It just catches you off guard, doesn't it?

Man, good running yesterday! I couldn't believe how hot I got on my run--my head felt like I was in a sauna or steam bath.

Go Huskers!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 am

Yeah another hot/humid week. I guess it makes us tougher, right? I was soaking this morning and I started out at 4:45 so I can't imagine a lunch hour run. I'll be doing well to walk my toddler to the store later. Hang in there and I bet this doesn't last long, maybe another week.

I am excited for that nice crisp air we'll get around Oct.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 am

Peg Coover wrote:It's always embarassing to trip over a crack! It just catches you off guard, doesn't it?

Man, good running yesterday! I couldn't believe how hot I got on my run--my head felt like I was in a sauna or steam bath.

Go Huskers!
Glad to report that I've gone over a week now without falling flat. haha! Weather was much more manageable the last two days, but I don't think the humidity has had it's last stand yet.

Julie wrote:Yeah another hot/humid week. I guess it makes us tougher, right? I was soaking this morning and I started out at 4:45 so I can't imagine a lunch hour run. I'll be doing well to walk my toddler to the store later. Hang in there and I bet this doesn't last long, maybe another week.

I am excited for that nice crisp air we'll get around Oct.

Have fun walking with your daughter. I cherish memories of doing things with Hannah when she was smaller. And I'm still enjoying our times together, but life goes on.

On Wed. did eight at lunchtime and four in the evening. I was surprised at how comfortable a 60 degree dewpoint felt although it was still pretty warm during the day. Yesterday had a meeting in Omaha in the evening so I was able to get eight in over lunch. Again, much improved humidity although it is scheduled to make a bit of a comeback in the next days.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:11 pm

Jon that's funny how a 60 dew point feels now after what you've experienced so far. It's amazing how some things feel at certain times of the year. If you had that 60 dew point in April it may not have been as comfortable.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Jon that's funny how a 60 dew point feels now after what you've experienced so far. It's amazing how some things feel at certain times of the year. If you had that 60 dew point in April it may not have been as comfortable.

Agreed Alex! It's all relative. It's been a little cooler this weekend except for yesterday.

Friday I had to be out of town after work so I only got in 5 right after work. Then when I returned we celebrated my Mom's birthday.

Saturday went out in the late AM and ran 12. Went pretty well with some of the humidity (72 dewpoint) coming up again. Then today ran with my friend for 15 with a few rain showers in the area. We delayed about a half hour to let some cloud to ground lightning pass. So got most, but not all of the mileage in I had intended. The next two weeks are planned to be the peak of it. Am planning on a midnight run next weekend.

And in other news:

Found someone owling by the sink one night this week. We slept soundly and safely as a result.

Looking toward the fall - Page 5 34050410
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Good running Jon - 27 miles in two days is a heck of a weekend. Your owl has pretty good balance!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Cute owl!

Nice miles!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:44 am

Good running! Cute pic of your little girl.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:35 pm

How does she balance like that?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:How does she balance like that?

Wondering the same thing! What a cutie!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Peg Coover wrote:Cute owl!

Nice miles!

Julie wrote:Good running! Cute pic of your little girl.
Thanks Peg and Julie! She drew my attention to the fact that she was owling. Thought it was hilarious since she's seen a few pictures of planking and owling.
Seth Harrison wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:How does she balance like that?

Wondering the same thing! What a cutie!
I think part of it is youth and the other part is the end of her wings (ie hands) are balancing by hanging on below where the picture ends. Imagine having smaller feet helps too.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:08 pm

Kind of like when they're really little and so flexible....my daughter makes stretching look so easy.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Nice picture Jon. I would have fallen over and broken something. Of course I have no coordination.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 am

Catching up, the week has been pretty much the same as others, mostly hot and humid although that is going to change here in the next day or two.

Tuesday, ran eight over lunch with another 100 heat index day. Then four in the evening. Wednesday ran 5.5 over lunch with 104 heat index and another 5 in the evening. Thursday did eight over lunch and 4.5 in the evening. The runs are sluggish the first mile and then things smooth out. Definitely have been accumulating leg fatigue if nothing else. The extreme heat has taken it's toll but by evening I've usually recovered enough to slug out a double.

Am still planning a midnight run this weekend. It will be a first for me so I'm looking forward to it and dreading it to some degree.

On another front, I had blogged some time ago about my neighbors son who was in the motorcycle accident. He is slowly recovering and has gotten to the point now where he is beginning to learn to speak again. Right now it's simple words but it is progress. I cannot imagine having to do all of that again. He does seem to recognize his family members. It is going to be a long road back for him. The rehab progesses but it is a slow process.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next