365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Looking toward the fall

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Looking toward the fall

Post  Schuey on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey Jon happy to read that you and the family had a nice vacation. Nice you got to a Padres game. Even though I'm a huge White Sox fan, the Padres have always been my favorite NL team. I grew a big fan of Tony Gwynn.

Nice to see that you put in a nice 41 mile week. Keep up that good training and be safe in the hot weather this week.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Peg Coover wrote:Stay cool Jon.

Glad your neighbor is hanging in there. My friend's friend had a bad motorcycle accident in May. He was selling his bike and took it for one last ride before it was gone--no helmet. I saw an xray of his skull--not good. But he's ok. Scary stuff.

We are happy that he is progressing. These folks have been great neighbors over the years. The latest is that docs think he is improving more quickly now.

Julie wrote:No one is going to forget winter 09-10...my daughter was 5 mos old and I called my husband at work to ask him to take the next day off so we could make it to my parents' home in northeast NE. I packed for him so when he got home we loaded the car and made it there before the storm hit. 6 days later...we were back in Lincoln. At least we all got snowed in together but they had 24".

Anyway, welcome back. The humidity is supposed to be getting better after tomorrow but the forecast still doesn't look good. Looks like you had some good runs on vacation.

Yes I had not seen drifts in the country roads that high since the early 80s. BTW, the humidity was slightly less today. It would be nice if it rains tomorrow night or Thursday. As for Coronado, it is a very beautiful place to run. It was a short trip but worth it.

Schuey wrote:Hey Jon happy to read that you and the family had a nice vacation. Nice you got to a Padres game. Even though I'm a huge White Sox fan, the Padres have always been my favorite NL team. I grew a big fan of Tony Gwynn.

Nice to see that you put in a nice 41 mile week. Keep up that good training and be safe in the hot weather this week.

The Padres had a fireworks promotion that appealed to Hannah. I grew up a Royals fan, cheering for George Brett, Hal McRae, Dennis Leonard, Frank White, etc. Not much fun these days, but they do have a young team with a lot of promise. I see improvement in the next years.

As for running, did six this afternoon slowly in 107 heat index. Then just before sunset, did another three. The temp was much better mid 80s with 72 dew point, but it felt SO much better than earlier. Not stressful as earlier in the day with the direct sun.
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:13 pm

Ran another nine total today, this afternoon in the heat and another short run in the evening. This evening was a bit cooler, but no air was moving. Ran by a working pivot watering a cornfield and when I was within about 30 feet of it the temperature cooled about 10 degrees which felt great for the short time it lasted. Also saw a couple high clouds, the first clouds I have seen since we got back Sunday evening. Perhaps the chance of rain will come through. It is supposed to be 10 degrees cooler tomorrow, but then will heat up again.

Here is a picture I took a couple weeks ago of one of the gravel roads I run on periodically.

This lion was on my running route while in Coronado on Ocean Blvd. last week. It appeared to be wanting to fistbump, so Hannah decided to take him up on it!

jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 am

Jon, that gravel road looks so much like my running roads! Maybe more hilly though. Pretty, but no shade, just like mine!

Hannah is cute!
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:26 am

The pictures are great, Jon.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 am

Nice pictures, good the irrigation could help your run a bit! I can't believe it when I see people running in the afternoons like this but I guess that's what works for some people. Good for you for being dedicated. I barely sneak outside to get the mail when it's that hot!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:23 pm

I've never been to Nebraska, but that photo is pretty much how I'd envision it! Pretty flat and lot of corn! Very Happy
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:44 am

Peg Coover wrote:Jon, that gravel road looks so much like my running roads! Maybe more hilly though. Pretty, but no shade, just like mine!

Hannah is cute!

Most of the gravel here is pretty flat terrain. I happened to pick a picture that has a creek down at the bottom of the hill.
As for Hannah, she has been a true blessing in our lives. We adopted her as a two day old. I'll probably relay the whole story at some point.

Jim Lentz wrote:The pictures are great, Jon.
Thanks, Jim! I have more that I will post periodically. I'm enjoying reading the blogs here very much!

Julie wrote:Nice pictures, good the irrigation could help your run a bit! I can't believe it when I see people running in the afternoons like this but I guess that's what works for some people. Good for you for being dedicated. I barely sneak outside to get the mail when it's that hot!

I understand it and feel much the same as you do in winter. I still go out though, and now and again question my sanity, both in summer and winter.

Seth Harrison wrote:I've never been to Nebraska, but that photo is pretty much how I'd envision it! Pretty flat and lot of corn! Very Happy

Seth, you have the picture of eastern Nebraska correct. Especially this year as grain prices have been good. Central and western Nebraska is actually hilly in places and there are buttes and landforms that one would not expect. So it is more ranchland than farmland further west.

Anyhow, yesterday was cooler, when I ran in the afternoon it was a mere 85/70 or a heat index of only 90.bounce I say that with my tongue implanted in cheek. It was still warm of course, but it was easier than earlier in the week. 8 miles, no evening run due to a meeting out of town. We did get about an inch of rain Wed. night/Thurs AM so that was well needed. It is supposed to warm up again though so we'll see. I have not run indoors this week yet, but I imagine I'll be doing that at some point.
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:16 am

Seth you really need to visit Nebraska! Run Lincoln Marathon or something (it's a good one).

It has cooled down at least a little. I'm still not going out in the afternoons, though! Just a few more weeks till nice fall like weather, right?
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:39 pm

Ran a quick 5 this evening. Felt strong the last couple miles which felt good. It was a bit cooler but still very humid. Planning on a longer run tomorrow morning.

Don't know if this will cool anyone off but......

This was shortly after our Christmas Day blizzard in 2009. A couple feet of snow and 50mph winds created a lot of drifting.

This is about a mile east of our home and after a plow got through there was room for one car to get through. The snow piles you see are about 7-8 feet high. It made for a nice windbreak that day while running anyway.

And this was the beginning of our tornado here in York County on June 20. I was about seven or eight miles away when I took the photo. No deaths or injuries fortunately. There is a wide variety of weather here.

jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Cool photos Jon, especially the tornado! It was jarring to see photos of snow in the middle of this heat wave!
I'm glad nobody was hurt by the twister.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks Seth! Took the snow pics simply because we hadn't had that amount of snow for many years. I know some of the Great Lakes states and the Northeast have this kind of volume routinely.

Well, back to the end of the week. On Sat. ran 12 in the AM. Weather was not bad due to it being overcast. It even sprinkled a bit on me. By the time I was done it had gotten up to 79. Dew points were still in the low 70s however. Ran another easy 4 in the evening just before sunset. Not much air moving, but by the time I got to mile 3 I had gotten into a rhythm and it went well from there. Today I ran at noon for 7 with 86/73 conditions. I was a bit sluggish today and probably ran it a bit slower than yesterday. Didn't bring my watch as it was more recovery type of run. So it was a 54 mile week. I think I'm close to being back where I was mileage wise before my hamstring issue. cheers

I hope that next week brings a little cooler temps but I'm not too optimistic.

Looks like a lot of you all had productive running weeks. It's great to see how well a lot of you are doing!
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Gotta love how our weather varies throughout the year. I was in FL for 4.5 years and hated the lack of true seasons especially missing fall.

Good running this weekend! When is your 50 miler? What ultras have you done already? I know the Cowtown 50K you said you've run several times, right? Any others?
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Jon, great job on the running. It feels good to hit a groove, doesn't it? I think it's great that you're still heading out for your runs, even when the dew point is as high as it has been for you. Your weekly mileage was good too! It is great to see how great everyone is doing with their runs here. It's inspiring and for me, it keeps me going when out there (outside of fries, beer and cigars, of course! Haha).

Those pictures are amazing! That is a TON of snow! Holy cow....looking at that makes me actually want to deal with the heat! I keep telling people that I'll take the heat and humidity over snow and ice any day!

BTW, LOVE the fist bump pic! Too cute!!

Last edited by Mrs. Schuey on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Love the pictures Jon, that sure the heck was a lot of snow. In the one picture the corn was looking pretty good.

Yeah I know it sounds funny a city boy asking you about the corn. It just happens that I stared my career working in the corn pit at the CBOT.

Anyway glad to see that you had another good solid week of training in this crazy heat we have been having.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Julie wrote:Gotta love how our weather varies throughout the year. I was in FL for 4.5 years and hated the lack of true seasons especially missing fall.

Good running this weekend! When is your 50 miler? What ultras have you done already? I know the Cowtown 50K you said you've run several times, right? Any others?

No, the three Cowtown 50K's is it. I attempted to run the Heartland 50 last year but dropped out at 34. It was a humbling learning experience, one that I hope will benefit me when I try it again in October. It is run in south central Kansas about an hour northeast of Wichita. It is run on gravel and also some primitive ranch roads. There are sections that have some hills. It is a very beautiful course if you like wide open spaces and very little road traffic. It is going to start this year at 6pm. The 100 miler will start at 6am so it will be different than last year in that regard.
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:22 pm

jon c wrote:
Julie wrote:Gotta love how our weather varies throughout the year. I was in FL for 4.5 years and hated the lack of true seasons especially missing fall.

No, the three Cowtown 50K's is it. I attempted to run the Heartland 50 last year but dropped out at 34. It was a humbling learning experience, one that I hope will benefit me when I try it again in October. It is run in south central Kansas about an hour northeast of Wichita. It is run on gravel and also some primitive ranch roads. There are sections that have some hills. It is a very beautiful course if you like wide open spaces and very little road traffic. It is going to start this year at 6pm. The 100 miler will start at 6am so it will be different than last year in that regard.

Yeah it is amazing how humbling running longer running events can be. I don't know from personal experience but from what I have read a lot of people have been humbled in Ultra events. The Heartland 50 sounds pretty cool I was will have to go check out their webpage.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:Jon, great job on the running. It feels good to hit a groove, doesn't it? I think it's great that you're still heading out for your runs, even when the dew point is as high as it has been for you. Your weekly mileage was good too! It is great to see how great everyone is doing with their runs here. It's inspiring and for me, it keeps me going when out there (outside of fries, beer and cigars, of course! Haha).

Those pictures are amazing! That is a TON of snow! Holy cow....looking at that makes me actually want to deal with the heat! I keep telling people that I'll take the heat and humidity over snow and ice any day!

BTW, LOVE the fist bump pic! Too cute!!

Thanks for stopping by Mrs. Schuey! I hear you loud and clear and totally agree on liking the heat and humidity more than the extreme cold. My hands and feet seem to get cold easily from October through April and it has been that way as long as I can remember. It is tiring and it is a fine line between training smart and going over the edge. Listening to ones body is an art it seems to me. Hopefully we all can continue to listen and read it correctly.

The fist bump thing was a bit funny to me. As I ran by them, it occurred to me that they were wanting fistbumps, much like the kids at races want to high five you as you run by. So I did actually fist bump them for fun as I went by. Some of my friends on FB were laughing about it. One commented: "Only you would think of something like that." Must still be a kid at heart. And Hannah thought it was a fun thing to do too.

Schuey wrote:Love the pictures Jon, that sure the heck was a lot of snow. In the one picture the corn was looking pretty good.

Yeah I know it sounds funny a city boy asking you about the corn. It just happens that I stared my career working in the corn pit at the CBOT.

Anyway glad to see that you had another good solid week of training in this crazy heat we have been having.

There are a few folks out here I have met that are grain brokers and may travel from time to time. The corn here does actually look very good this year so far. We keep getting periodic rain and it is helpful for farmers not to have to rely solely on irrigation. Doesn't always happen that way of course.

Looks like your training went well and it's really cool to see how you and Lisa support each other!Cool
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:02 am

Never been to Nebraska - might have to go one day as it looks beautiful in those pictures and not what I think I expected? Glad to hear the hammies is better - just keep up the good work.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 pm

The new week has brought another 100 degree heat index day (91/73). So to celebrate, I ran over about 3.5 miles to the place I work out with the treadmill. I warmed up a mile then ran 4 at a 8 min. pace which is usually marathon race pace for me. Then I ran 1.5 miles home for a ten mile day. Half in, half out. It went pretty well. The hardest part was the first 3.5. My tech shirt was soaked enough that it kept me cool when I ran on the mill.

Temps are not supposed to be quite as hot as last week, maybe 5-8 degrees cooler. Sounds like the 70 plus dew points aren't going anywhere. And of course the wind machine which was going strong until a couple weeks ago is pretty much non-existent. That is really not unusual for this time of year. The extended heat and humidity is.

Everyone else, stay cool!Cool
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 am

Nice pictures Jon. Hopefully the injuries will be behind you for this fall. Does the 50M in Kansas require a crew? I think the 100M does but not sure about the 50M.

I had a friend from high school who was born and raised in Nebraska and we used to argue college football all the time as I'm a big Michigan fan. I've lost touch with him which is too bad as they'll be playing each other every year now.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 am

I am almost positive the Heartland 50 was the ultra I was looking at before some of my friends I run with convinced me to start with a 50K. A 50 miler is quite a bit longer than a 50K, it would definitely take more work from me than I'm putting in now. I felt like the 50K was bordering on a little too much just in terms of getting a little burned out and crabby about the whole thing about a month before the race.

Yay for cooler weather...although it's still humid and hot, I think in a few weeks things will improve.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:26 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Nice pictures Jon. Hopefully the injuries will be behind you for this fall. Does the 50M in Kansas require a crew? I think the 100M does but not sure about the 50M.

I had a friend from high school who was born and raised in Nebraska and we used to argue college football all the time as I'm a big Michigan fan. I've lost touch with him which is too bad as they'll be playing each other every year now.

The 100 you can have a crew. For the 50 they discourage pacers unless you plan to be a back of the pack person. You leave drop bags at manned aid stations about every 8 miles approximately.

Yeah I think most people around here are excited to be a part of the Big 10. I think it is a better fit for NU and it eliminates the Texas factor. Don't think it will be any easier to win than the Big 12 though. It will be an interesting year.

Julie wrote:I am almost positive the Heartland 50 was the ultra I was looking at before some of my friends I run with convinced me to start with a 50K. A 50 miler is quite a bit longer than a 50K, it would definitely take more work from me than I'm putting in now. I felt like the 50K was bordering on a little too much just in terms of getting a little burned out and crabby about the whole thing about a month before the race.

Yay for cooler weather...although it's still humid and hot, I think in a few weeks things will improve.

Agreed that a 50 miler is a whole different animal. A 50K is only another 4.8 or so beyond the marathon. My strategy at Cowtown 50K was to run the race like it was a marathon and then see what I had left for the remainder. My personal theory is that runners get too mental about it. Maybe simply seeing the word "ultra". I know I did the first time. When I realized it could be done, then things fell together. The recovery and how you felt after the race was similar to a full marathon. You also have a better opportunity to place in a race depending on your age group.

I would encourage you to consider trying a 50K first as well when you think you are ready. The jump to a 50 miler is much more significant.
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:44 am

I ran a 50K last October, Chicago Lakefront. It was good and really I felt pretty good except the last 10 miles had some nausea from something I ate. Otherwise yeah it wasn't that that different from a marathon and in a way maybe easier because I let myself walk more. Very Happy

I like the marathon distance but probably will do some more ultras, too. There is a 50 miler I'm looking at but probably not for a few more years.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:14 pm

Jon, I agree with what you say about a 50K race versus a 50 mile race. I did the 50K distance 3 times before I tried the 50 mile race.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top