365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homeward Bound...?

+3
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
7 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Homeward Bound...? - Page 3 Empty Re: Homeward Bound...?

Post  ounce Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Nancy - In my experience, you are correct.  I was always a worrywort growing up - which used to be kinda endearing and cute - and that's turned into a pretty standard case of anxiety through my 20s until now.  Living in Auburn the first time actually brought a lot of it to light.  Funny enough, despite my preference for running, the times in which I've felt the most at ease have been when cycling (almost exclusively) or when I had a pretty regular meditation practice going.  I'll be looking to both of those to help ease the discomfort of a sudden hiatus from running.  

We start the journey west tomorrow.  I'm reading mixed things about hiking with a stress fx, but the common theme seems to be "if it's pain-free, it's fine" for activity.  I'm really hoping we'll be able to check Wheeler Peak (NM high point, 13xxx') off the list, but if not, that's okay.  NM should be beautiful and DRY either way.
Probably hot, too, after their monsoon season.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:17 pm

I believe you have successfully it made it home based on the Strava posts.  Hope it was an uneventful trip and that you are settled in.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am

I saw him complaining about him bringing the heat with him, so yes: I think he's back on the West Coast. Just in time for a heat wave!

Remember, Mike: It's a dry heat. (Sure, 20 degrees hotter, but still... dry!)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:41 pm

If the weather is right, the high pressure is a gambler and sitting over Vegas for a week.  Easier to acclimate to a dry heat than a moist heat.  Down here, if the dew point gets to be 80 degrees, it's called "Insta-Sweat."

Enjoy the Sierras, again.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Super duper overdue update.

It's been 2 months - wow.
We are moved in and mostly settled here in Folsom.  Yes, Folsom.  Not Auburn as planned.  Turns out the rental market up there sucks and we get a lot more bang for our buck here.  We're nicely situated on the west end of town, central to just about everything in this area.  20ish minutes to Auburn, 30 seconds to the American River Bike Trail, minutes from most of the group bike ride starts/finishes.  

The stress/anxiety of the move is finally starting to go away.  I don't know exactly what happened, but it feels like this week a switch flipped and I went from "everything is the end of the world" to "so what if it is?"  

---

Running has picked up again.  The shin splints seem to be playing nicely for now - I think spending a few hours in the foothills every weekend is helping to strengthen my calves without overdoing it, which is making mid-week road runs more comfortable.  

Ironically, the week I really started to feel like a runner again, my 100 miler announced they're cancelling this year and deferring all entries to next year.  The fire in that area reignited after being contained and dying down.  I wasn't planning on racing the 100M anymore anyway, since it's no longer a WS qualifier, but was still planning on the 100k.  Oh well, plenty of time to actually be ready for next year.

My brother and I decided to take our suddenly open fall schedules (he had races planned that he's not doing, too) and check off an ultra-runner bucketlist item: Rim-to-rim-to-rim at the Grand Canyon.  We're making our attempt Oct 14.  44mi w/ ~10k' vert.  Goal is 10-12hr, but survival is obviously much more important than the time on our watches.  Hence the weekends up in Auburn lately.

---

I'll try and pop in more often, but between work and furnishing this apartment (remember, we brought only what fit in our cars) and running, it's pretty busy here.  Which is probably a good thing.  Less time to panic.  What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:13 pm

How fun - Rim to Rim to Rim!  I know several Ohioans who have done it and loved the experience, and I am sure you will as well.

As for Folsom, the only thing I know about it is in a Johnny Cash song - and that might be a different prison in a different state.   Glad the two of you are settling in, and I assume that means you are both gainfully employed and playing adult in your free time.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:45 am

I was wondering about your race plans when I saw the Cleveland National Forest burning up -- though I was pretty worried about my old neighborhood, which is less than a mile from the farthest advance of that fire. That whole trail system is going to be much changed with the Holy Fire going through it.

Folsom! Small world. We have family in Folsom (the town, not the prison), so maybe we'll bump into each other at some point.

A rim to rim to rim sounds like a suitably epic challenge for you. Go get it!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 am

Mom - No, you're spot on, same prison and same town.  They opened the "Johnny Cash Trail" a few years back and it's littered with reminders that you are, in fact, on the Johnny Cash Trail.  Soon to have 5-10 art pieces as well.  It's kind of bizarre that the city is profiting so much on him/the prison, but it's also weird that the prison's entrance signs all say "California Prison INDUSTRY" on them.  Re: gainful employment/playing adult, things are a bit different here, so there's more hustle involved with landing enough work to pay the bills.  It doesn't help that rent has nearly doubled since I left and pay has stayed completely flat.  

Mark - Apparently the RD for my race lives very near your old neighborhood.  He was evacuated and almost lost his home.  My parents were lucky the winds pushed everything east.  Also, CIM starts literally in front of our apartment complex, so if you ever venture down for that...

---

Dad came up to help hang Haley's wildwater race kayak (a 15' green and silver polka-dotted monster) from the ceiling with a rope hoisting system.  It's now our centerpiece decoration in the living room.  Looks pretty cool, actually.  

The three of us headed to Auburn for some vert on Sunday.  They hiked a loop of Training Hill (~4.6mi w/ 1k' gain) while I ran 3 (~14mi w/ 3.2k' gain).  I somehow managed to average 9:30 pace for that run.  Pretty pooped at the end, but felt very strong during.  

Temps have finally climbed back to the 90s, so yesterday was a true heat training day, starting my run at 3:30 and putting forth moderate/focused effort for 12.5mi.  I'm starting to feel more acclimated to it, but still have a ways to go.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:16 am

I ran CIM a couple times so know the neighborhood a bit.  Nice spot.

Good luck with employment opportunities and running adventures.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Nancy - Yeah, I'm very sad that CIM is sold out.  I was looking at it a couple weeks ago (before my 100 was cancelled) and it had slots open.  By the time the 100 was cancelled, sold out.  Phooey.  Maybe I'll volunteer or offer to be a pacer or something.

---

We continue to settle in, even if for no other reason than time alone.  The apartment is still pretty spartan, but I'm pretty sure we're both okay with this...?  We sometimes forget about the 2nd bedroom, which is my only complaint.  We should be putting it to use somehow.  Not quite sure how, but somehow.

The gose-style beer (read: sour) I bottled with my dad turned out to be very good.  My first foray into sours, so I was a bit nervous.  The whole "leave a warm, sugary liquid in a kettle for 3 days with intentionally added bacteria" thing seemed ripe for infection, but fortunately the bugs I wanted did their work and made things acidic enough to stave off anything else.  I used the pineapple/mango Goodbelly probiotic to seed this one, so the final taste is like a very tart pineapple.  Light and effervescent, almost soda-like.  

In the fermenter right now is a pumpkin spice latte stout, which will hopefully be a marked improvement over the last pumpkin spice beer I made (later dubbed the "Basic Bitch Beer" as it was only popular with women in their early 20s).  I'll be adding some coldbrew coffee made with beans that a friend roasted - his new passion project and business venture - and bottling next weekend.  Should be ready by the time fall really hits.

---

Speaking of fall, this week has been almost too nice.  Temps in the low 50s to low 80s every day, with the delta breeze making its way to us the last couple days.  

Headed up to Auburn this morning for day 1 of 2 for my peak weekend pre-R2R2R.  It was overcast and drizzly(???) during the drive and the beginning of the run, with sunshine peeking through the clouds to highlight sections of the canyon face leading to Cool.  Very idyllic and serene.  

The run was 4x downy-uppy on Stagecoach trail, a 2ish mile fireroad with ~780' vert one way.  The goal was ~16mi in ~3hr, which seemed to be a fairly reasonable ask, especially given some tummy grumblings that started during yesterday's run and didn't feel too much better this morning.  I should note that Haley had either food poisoning or the stomach flu this week, so my worry was at least warranted this time around.  

After the first repeat - <17' down, 23' up - things magically felt good and I decided to run each down or up segment progressively faster than the previous time.  This lead to descents of 16:47, 15:47, 14:55, and 13:41 (6:30 pace on that one) and ascents of 23:03, 21:42, 20:01, and 19:25 for a total of 17ish miles in 2:30 after a brief cooldown.  

Legs feel great, stomach is holding up, and it's time to hydrate and refuel in preparation for tomorrow's ~5hr/26mi/6k' vert run.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:20 pm

I had to stop reading when I got to the description of your weather - I realize that I now hate you having temps in the 50s!  

Anyway, I love a good gose - so please arrange to send some East.  Thanks in advance.

Bummer about CIM, but I am sure there are other good races out there.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Mom - We're supposed to heat up a little again, but I think we're down to less than a handful of days in the 90s.  Morning temps continue to slide down.

Re: gose - next after the PSL stout is going to be a cranberry/blood orange gose for Thanksgiving.  I'll look into shipping.  I know some states won't allow it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:52 pm

GA will allow if you don't let anyone know it's alcohol.  Actually I get wine shipments here, so I'm guessing its ok.  Some stout would be good too.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Mom - What I'm reading is that some states do not allow it from anyone, period... GA is not one of those states.  However, shipping alcohol without a distribution license is illegal, so basically use FedEx/UPS is what I've read.  More info to come.

---

I jinxed the weather.  It's summer again for at least another week or two.  Hurray...

Recovery week this week, so I had a rare TWO rest days.  Still going to end up with an 8hr week, despite this.  Weird when 8hr is recovery.

Legs are feeling peppy and strong, but did take a couple days to bounce back from the weekend.  Had a good steady semi-long run on Thursday morning with a 5' negative split and a solid 2hr ride today.  During the group portion of the ride, I tried to hold 250W any time we were climbing and ~200W on flats and descents, regardless of what the group did.  This meant a lot of watching some guys kick hard up every hill only to sit up at the top and have to chase as I kept pedaling over the top... and ultimately still ending up on the front.  

Tomorrow is ~15mi around Lake Natoma, mostly flat, probably going to aim for ~8min pace for the meat of the run.  A little faster than normal easy runs.  

---

I'm considering Napa Valley 26.2 in March for a sub-3 attempt.  Not sure if that will stay the goal, but I think it's pretty likely at this point that I'll sign up and see how the cards fall.  

Also, I finally got CA plates this week, woo!  And I'm on-call all weekend, boo.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Sorry about the extended summer weather...we're still harvesting carrot seed and alfalfa so we put in a request for another few warm sunny days.  We'll put in a request for cooler weather and rain next weekend and beyond.

Happy running and biking...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:30 am

I think I remember your apartment, Mike. If you can't get in to the full, maybe there's a relay team needing a person? That's always a possibility.

Jealous of your training environment. Folsom has some great trails, and Auburn is a (relatively) short drive away. Glad you're getting gigs, but yeah... Folsom is kind of pricey rent-wise. Hope that all works out.

If you're looking for trail races, remember there are bunch of them not all that far away in Oregon and Washington. It'd be fun to hook up at one.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Nancy - Appreciated!  Looks like the request is kind of working here - we'll be in the 70s this weekend!

Mark - Definitely spoiled here.  I think the price point is entirely reasonable in California for what we're getting... just not for the rest of the world that has a more... sane... approach to housing.  Re: PNW, Beacon Rock + Mt Hood + Smith Rock (the Butte one) are all on my list!

---

Didn't get called in at all this weekend.  All that for nothing.  Meh.  

Sunday's run was quick and strong.  This week so far has been mostly just heat training (it's back up to 99 today) with one workout on Tuesday - 5x .75mi hill @ ~%5.  Pretty pleased with my splits, despite being unable to hit <5:00 on the last one (5:01!).  

My brother races 50M this Saturday, so I'm pacing the last 15 of that.  Then Haley and I head out to Mt. Diablo Sunday for a quick overnight camping trip and 2x ~3hr runs for me Sun/Mon.  Then it's taper time, yay!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 am

Enjoy taper and good luck on R2R2R!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Obligatory quick update while I have the house to myself for the first time in a week (why? read on to find out!)...

R2R2R became R2R.  Mostly due to a mixture of my brother's ankle being at about 75% and both of us feeling like the way back was possible but would not be enjoyable at all.  My legs were pretty jello-y from the start, I overdressed and underfueled, realized my pack was too small to bring emergency clothes + all the food I'd need, etc.  Just not the day for the whole shebang.  

That said, it was beautiful, really fun for the first 20 miles (let's not talk about the last 4), and we got to spend the evening in Flagstaff sampling the local breweries instead of slogging up a 4000' canyon in the dark.

---

The funny thing is, within an hour or so of being done, I'd already kind of stopped thinking about the whole thing.  Why?  Well, the same reason I'm never alone anymore.  We added a member to the household and his name is Ocoee.  

Ocoee is a 3 month old Golden Retriever boy who loves sleeping, chicken, cuddling, and getting that crazed puppy eye... in that order.  He's still not fully vaccinated, so the daily routine pretty much consists of taking him out to a small hidden patch of dirt in a milk crate every hour or two for potty breaks, playing until he gets a bit nuts and is ready for a nap, then watching him sleep.  He's currently meeting a family who we ambushed at the fireplace/patio right in front of our apartment building and asked if we could bring our pup to have him meet new people.  

Finding it tough to balance socializing him before that window shuts (although some people say it shuts by 12 weeks) and not exposing him to potential disease before he's had all his shots.  Basically involves a lot of time being carted around like a prince in the milk crate then sitting in it at our feet while we talk to people.  

Pics to come soon.  We'll probably start an Instagram handle for him too as a way to turn those frustrating shithead puppy moments into funny internet points.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed the first 20 miles of R2R...

Puppies are fun but I'll stick with grandkids...they are easier to send home when you need a break.

Are you enjoying the fantastic weather we're having in the PNW or is it just here?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:08 am

Good call on R2R. In 2004 my brother & I spent 3 days down in the canyon. It was breathtaking, gorgeous and indelibly memorable. Rim 2 Rim would have been more than enough challenge in that sacred space. Glad you and your brother enjoyed it!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am

Smart choice on making R2R2R a R2R. You wouldn't want to find yourself hurting, low on supplies with an inadequate emergency kit at the bottom of the canyon a second time. Definitely would take the fun out of it. But a question: How'd you get back to the car at the starting point?

Pupper photos are required, by the way. Snap to it!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:56 pm

So like cool about R2R, congrats and all - but WHERE ARE THE PUPPY PICTURES??????????????

JK - very cool about the R2R run and cannot imagine how beautiful it is but also what a tough trek it can be.  I've had Ohio friends get trapped due to weather doing the R2R2R and I know that was not fun, but they still couldn't stop talking about how much they loved the experience.

Oh and with the puppy, they are way more resilient than you know.  I still remember when Dodger (my daughter's puppy) was young and well, he broke my foot, but still fun to expose him to all different things.  He still loves kids and it is amazing how well behaved he can be around kids versus adults.  He never jumps on kids and is very patient, but if he thinks the adult is a dog lover, he is hard to contain.  And at 65 lbs of muscle - well, you get it.  And I'm guessing Ocoee will be 65+lbs of lovable muscle too.   And Ocoee is a cool name - I forget that Haley is from the Chattanooga area.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Ok, ok, y'all were patient.  Here ya go:

Homeward Bound...? - Page 3 Ocoee310Homeward Bound...? - Page 3 Ocoee110Homeward Bound...? - Page 3 Ocoee210

---

We're currently in MV with my parents.  Haley has Chattajack this weekend (31mi paddle race down the Tennessee River Gorge) so we decided to go get a safe backyard and lots of cool tile for him to play and sleep on, respectively.  

The legs are coming back after the week of OHMYGODNEWPUPPY stress and lack of eating/sleep.  I'm racing the Mt Tam 30k in 2 weeks and then the Snowberry 50k in mid-December.  Goals are podium for both, possibly winning the 50k.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Nice looking representative sample of a Golden.  What is it about Golden's that's a pain in the ass?  Chewing/teething past the usual puppy time including furniture?  I can't remember.

Good luck on the podium goal!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next