365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 10 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:27 pm

ounce wrote:

Monday morning, I got out there with the hopes of trying 9 miles (actually 8.79).  But, the weather folks were saying that a few days of rain was going to start on Monday morning before sunrise, so I got up, looked at radar and figure I had about two hours and fifteen minutes before the rain started.  I started with two hours to go and, sadly, I started at a slow pace that became plodding.  But I made 8 miles without it raining.

However, as I was walking back to the apt, it started raining.  LOL, I hadn't factored in the 5 minute walk.

Still no niggles.
You must get a more accurate weather forecast than we do...or you're really lucky.  

Good to hear you're out there and still niggle free.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:46 pm

It's been a plodding kind of past couple of weeks.  I'm not satisfied with it, but for some reason, I haven't been able to change it.  Still figuring that one out.

I'm trying to rule things out as to why it's so plodding.  I can't maintain a 164 cadence for much past a mile.  I'm still niggle free, though.  

Monday, I stopped after I couldn't maintain the cadence.  Tuesday, I plodded 4 miles.  I was going to run this morning, but we had a tropical Low move through and it rained from about 5 a.m. to 2 p.m.  4 inches at the big airport, which breaks a July 4th record set back in 1942.  AND it never got to 80 degrees.  Flooded I-10 west of downtown until about 3 p.m. because it rained 8 inches there from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m.  That's about 2.7 miles from me because that stretch of I-10 is the north boundary of Memorial Park.  Closer to me, it rained 6.05".

Y'all have heard of how hot it is around the country because of a High pressure system and the Jet Stream is in Canada?  Well, the Gulf Coast is outside of that High pressure, so it's just sending Low pressure impulses east to west. Therefore, we're going to be in this really strange and atypical wet weather pattern for the next two weeks.  So, we're to be seasonal at 93 degrees and a 40-60% chance of rain no less than every other day.  Subject to change, of course.

Weather report is over.

Last week, I signed up for the marathon in January.  Now, I wasn't convinced that I was going to be able to run the marathon, so I did a cost analysis of whether it would be cheaper to sign up for the Half, then pay the difference plus $20, if I felt very confident on running the full.  As it turned out, it would be cheaper for me to sign up for the full, then pay $20 to jump down to the half. 

I'll run tomorrow and Friday.  I guess if I can't run, I'm going to train the body to plod its best.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:28 pm

That is a lot of rain!  That would be our rainfall for the entire year!!!

Good to hear that you're out there.  Plodding is better than sitting.  Hope signing up for the marathon keeps you motivated to keep at it even if you get frustrated at times...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Well, we're a 49 inch a year area, except when a 1,000 year storm shows up.  Prime time hurricane season isn't until August through mid-September.  These storms aren't hurricane related and really is atypical.

Running is an exercise in frustration.  I don't think it's heat-related.  I've been able to run the 163 cadence for 80% of a run, in the past.  Now, it's a mile.

Thanks for your comments, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:24 am

So I decided to try to placate the body by not planning an 8 mile run, rather let's get to mile 2 and decide whether to turn around for a total of 4 miles or go on a little farther and see how the body feels.

This morning, I decided to just do 4 because we got a inch of rain rather quickly, yesterday, so I knew a couple of spots on the trail leading to the Memorial Park 3 mile loop were going to be holding water.

Annnnnd, I finished 4 miles, including the first two miles under 14 and overall pace at 14:13.  It was 75 degrees with no wind, yet gobs of humidity.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:12 pm

4 good miles is a good day!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:13 pm

nkrichards wrote:4 good miles is a good day!
Thanks, Nancy.  It would be a good day, however it wasn't at a good pace.

-30-

I had a 12 mile week, this week.  I pushed myself, pushed myself hard.  Couldn't do much for mileage, but I ran 4 of 5 days this week with 3 days in a row.  I haven't done that in a few years.  Short mileage, but it was 10 of the 12.  Monday was 2.35 miles, then 3, 4, and 3 for W, Th, and F, respectively.  All days were at 77 or 78 degrees.  Times ranged from slow to plodding.

This morning as I entered the windless, almost stifling air, my thighs were tired, but not hurting.  Too bad.  I was hoping to go 4 miles, but completed 3.  Still, no niggles.  The Good Lord isn't giving me any speed, but He's compensating by no niggles.  Easier to go faster, when you're not hurting.

Mark, it looks like you have hit 100 degrees before Houston did.  We're to hit 100 at least 3 of the next 4 days.

Next week, I'll only be able to run 2 days.  I could run another 2 days, but I'd have to do it on a treadmill and I don't like treadmills.  But I am current on my push ups.

Thanks for stopping by.  Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Last week, I ran about 6 miles in a run-shortened week.

This morning, I plodded 4 miles within 5 seconds of last week's 4 miles.  Not the kind of consistency I like.  It was 77 degrees with zero wind.

I'll keep on plodding, but I lose interest at going too slow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:59 am

This morning, it was 72 degrees which is down about 5 degrees from this time of year's average.  We had a dry line move through yesterday.  That is highly abnormal in these parts, however, it was barely noticeable during my run.

I changed something in an attempt to change my plodding.  I decreased the cadence from 164 spm to 154 spm.  If it works, I should be able to hold cadence longer and maybe establish a lower, thereby slower, turnover for a longer amount of distance.  Keep in mind that it had been a stretch to maintain a 164 spm for 1 mile, usually it's 2/3rds of a mile.

Off I went.

To start, the legs were a bit confused at the lower cadence, like a familiar song being re-played at a slower beat.  "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" by Neil Sedaka is an example.

At the risk of being brief, I was able to maintain without thought the 154 cadence for 3-1/2 miles and with thought for the final half.  The average pace was about 14:15.  So, that was a good change and a good start.  

I know from personal experience that increasing cadence is the same as increasing speed, in that it takes time and consistency to increase cadence.  Like for me, 1 or 2 spm per training cycle.  At least I have established, on the first try, what my base cadence is today.  I think 157 is a high range goal for this year.  But I'll work on the endurance and maybe try to bump up 1 or 2 steps before September.

Time will tell.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:09 pm

At 71 degrees, this morning, it was a bit cooler than what it will be next week.  Our lower humidity for the week will be gone by Monday.  I headed out for a 4 mile run to see if Wednesday was a fluke at the lower cadence or not.  

I bumped the cadence from 154 to 155 spm.  Everything went well.  Well enough to book a sub-14 average pace on 4 miles for the first time in quite a while.  I had an average pace of 13:52.  After three miles, it was 13:54, so I put some effort to the final mile because I knew the significance.  I was starting to fatigue during mile three, which was earlier than Wednesday's 4 miles.  However, I was going 'faster' with a couple of 13:40's.  Figured the cadence increase was most of the cause.

12 miles for the week and a benefit to slowing the cadence...no decay of cadence during the run.  Might just be able to run farther, next week.  Who knows?  Well, The Shadow knows, silly.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Good to hear that you're still out there, trying new things and looking for what works for you.  My natural cadence is 156-158.  It's slightly higher...160-162...when I increase my pace.  I know that they say you should be able to maintain your cadence even when your pace is slow without getting tired.  I sure haven't been able to do it!  I think we're all individuals and need to figure out what works for us.  I may be able to get faster if I made some significant changes but I enjoy what I'm doing now...most of the time anyway...and I'm not sure I can/want/need to make those changes to get the benefits that I'm looking for.  Old age and predominately slow twitch muscles are what I have to work with at this point.

Figure out what you enjoy and do that...the heck with the "rules".  Have fun!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:18 pm

Been a little remiss reading your blog, sir. Sorry about that. I'll try to do better.

I'm glad your experimentation is helping you find a cadence that works for you. Still, I'm curious: When you feel that you can't hold the cadence, how does it feel? Is it fatigue, heaviness in the legs, gum on your shoes... what? Have you done anything different with your diet lately? How's the stress load in the rest of your life? Are your shoes too soft/too hard? There's got to be a reason for it. Sometimes, when we're lucky, we can figure it out.

Three cheers for no niggles, though! cheers cheers cheers

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:57 pm

nkrichards wrote:Good to hear that you're still out there, trying new things and looking for what works for you.  My natural cadence is 156-158.  It's slightly higher...160-162...when I increase my pace.  I know that they say you should be able to maintain your cadence even when your pace is slow without getting tired.  I sure haven't been able to do it!  I think we're all individuals and need to figure out what works for us.  I may be able to get faster if I made some significant changes but I enjoy what I'm doing now...most of the time anyway...and I'm not sure I can/want/need to make those changes to get the benefits that I'm looking for.  Old age and predominately slow twitch muscles are what I have to work with at this point.

Well, Nancy, that surprises me.  I figured your cadence would be a bunch closer to 1L's 180 spm, since you're closer to her in pace.

Age was one reason I reduced the cadence.  I don't know if its testosterone or what it is, but I sure didn't have anything to lose by reducing the cadence, except pace.  I have noticed that it's a ton harder to lose weight than even 3 years ago.  I guess my metabolism is slowing.  You might try lowering your cadence about 4 steps.

As far as 'rules,' I busted them up years ago.  It wasn't working 'their' way.

Thanks for your thoughts!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Mark B wrote:Been a little remiss reading your blog, sir. Sorry about that. I'll try to do better.

I'm glad your experimentation is helping you find a cadence that works for you. Still, I'm curious: When you feel that you can't hold the cadence, how does it feel? Is it fatigue, heaviness in the legs, gum on your shoes... what? Have you done anything different with your diet lately? How's the stress load in the rest of your life? Are your shoes too soft/too hard? There's got to be a reason for it. Sometimes, when we're lucky, we can figure it out.

No problem.  I'm sure it's busy at The Daily Planet.  Ever think to exclaim, "Great Caesar's Ghost!"

It feels like I started out way too fast and slump to 10 pound weights on each ankle.  It's not a breathing thing.
I haven't completely gone back to LC/HF, but once that happens, it will help.
Stress is minimal.
My shoes are the same style (Saucony Kinvara) that I've had for 4 or 5 years.  I think they are just right.
It is tougher losing weight than it was 3 years ago.  I'm thinking that's age and not wholly being LC/HF.

I remember when I started running by metronome that I wanted to run a higher cadence, so I did, and the same thing happened that I have been experiencing for the past month.  I dialed it back to 160 and have been able to increase it by 2 steps per year to 164, which I've had for 2-3 years.  

Dropping it to 155, last week, seemed to be a good move, since I was able to maintain a 14-something pace for 4 miles, instead of a half mile.

And, yes, I've been niggle-free for the whole year.  Thanks for checking in and tell Clark Kent that I said 'howdy.'

-30-

This morning, it was back to August temps of 77 degrees, although there was a intermittent breeze for about half of the run.  I saw rain on the radar app near Memorial Park, so I put on a clear lens in my Tifosi sunglasses to keep rain out of my eyes.  It briefly showered, but I wasn't there to feel it.

I was wanting to run 5 miles to see how the body would react to the extra mile.  4, I could do.  The last run was Friday.  I do a out 'n back type run.  I got to the 2 mile mark and thought, "What the hell.  The worst that would happen would be walking some of the last mile."

I ran 5 miles.  Now that my running is going better, I'm loading the runs into Garmin sooner.  Cadence set to 155.

5 miles, 1:09:39, 13:56 pace, 155 avg cadence, 1st half pace 14:05, 2nd half pace 13:47.
1.  14:07, 155 spm
2.  14:03, 156 spm
3.  14:03, 154 spm
4.  13:55, 156 spm
5.  13:29, 156 spm

When I noticed my mile 4 split was under 14, I was determined to do the 5th mile.  The 13:29 split was surprising.  However thinking back, I was huffing just a bit but without tiring.  Seeing the 156 on 3 of the splits seemed to indicate that 156 cadence would be logical to try on Wednesday.  I'm tickled.

So, let me take you back a couple of runs for comparison.
Friday - 4 miles, 13:51 pace, 156 spm - 1st run at 155 cadence
Wednesday - 4 miles, 14:13 pace, 154 spm - 1st run at 154 cadence.

Monday - 4 miles, 14:52 pace, 150 spm - last run at 164 cadence
1.  13:49, 159 spm
2.  14:38, 149 spm
3.  15:54, 145 spm
4.  15:06, 146 spm

How 'bout dem numbers?!   (Note: 'dem' is a Cajun adaptation of 'them.')

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Good to hear that you're still out there, trying new things and looking for what works for you.  My natural cadence is 156-158.  It's slightly higher...160-162...when I increase my pace.  I know that they say you should be able to maintain your cadence even when your pace is slow without getting tired.  I sure haven't been able to do it!  I think we're all individuals and need to figure out what works for us.  I may be able to get faster if I made some significant changes but I enjoy what I'm doing now...most of the time anyway...and I'm not sure I can/want/need to make those changes to get the benefits that I'm looking for.  Old age and predominately slow twitch muscles are what I have to work with at this point.

Well, Nancy, that surprises me.  I figured your cadence would be a bunch closer to 1L's 180 spm, since you're closer to her in pace.

Age was one reason I reduced the cadence.  I don't know if its testosterone or what it is, but I sure didn't have anything to lose by reducing the cadence, except pace.  I have noticed that it's a ton harder to lose weight than even 3 years ago.  I guess my metabolism is slowing.  You might try lowering your cadence about 4 steps.

As far as 'rules,' I busted them up years ago.  It wasn't working 'their' way.

Thanks for your thoughts!

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Been a little remiss reading your blog, sir. Sorry about that. I'll try to do better.

No problem.  I'm sure it's busy at The Daily Planet.  Ever think to exclaim, "Great Caesar's Ghost!"

It feels like I started out way too fast and slump to 10 pound weights on each ankle.  It's not a breathing thing.
I haven't completely gone back to LC/HF, but once that happens, it will help.
Stress is minimal.
My shoes are the same style (Saucony Kinvara) that I've had for 4 or 5 years.  I think they are just right.
It is tougher losing weight than it was 3 years ago.  I'm thinking that's age and not wholly being LC/HF.

I remember when I started running by metronome that I wanted to run a higher cadence, so I did, and the same thing happened that I have been experiencing for the past month.  I dialed it back to 160 and have been able to increase it by 2 steps per year to 164, which I've had for 2-3 years.  

Dropping it to 155, last week, seemed to be a good move, since I was able to maintain a 14-something pace for 4 miles, instead of a half mile.

And, yes, I've been niggle-free for the whole year.  Thanks for checking in and tell Clark Kent that I said 'howdy.'

-30-

This morning, it was back to August temps of 77 degrees, although there was a intermittent breeze for about half of the run.  I saw rain on the radar app near Memorial Park, so I put on a clear lens in my Tifosi sunglasses to keep rain out of my eyes.  It briefly showered, but I wasn't there to feel it.

I was wanting to run 5 miles to see how the body would react to the extra mile.  4, I could do.  The last run was Friday.  I do a out 'n back type run.  I got to the 2 mile mark and thought, "What the hell.  The worst that would happen would be walking some of the last mile."

I ran 5 miles.  Now that my running is going better, I'm loading the runs into Garmin sooner.  Cadence set to 155.

5 miles, 1:09:39, 13:56 pace, 155 avg cadence, 1st half pace 14:05, 2nd half pace 13:47.
1.  14:07, 155 spm
2.  14:03, 156 spm
3.  14:03, 154 spm
4.  13:55, 156 spm
5.  13:29, 156 spm

When I noticed my mile 4 split was under 14, I was determined to do the 5th mile.  The 13:29 split was surprising.  However thinking back, I was huffing just a bit but without tiring.  Seeing the 156 on 3 of the splits seemed to indicate that 156 cadence would be logical to try on Wednesday.  I'm tickled.

So, let me take you back a couple of runs for comparison.
Friday - 4 miles, 13:51 pace, 156 spm - 1st run at 155 cadence
Wednesday - 4 miles, 14:13 pace, 154 spm - 1st run at 154 cadence.

Monday - 4 miles, 14:52 pace, 150 spm - last run at 164 cadence
1.  13:49, 159 spm
2.  14:38, 149 spm
3.  15:54, 145 spm
4.  15:06, 146 spm

How 'bout dem numbers?!   (Note: 'dem' is a Cajun adaptation of 'them.')

Thanks for stopping by.
I appreciate the confidence you have in me but Michele is in a whole different league than I am!  You have to remember my background was a high school shot putter.  And you can't get more slow twitch than me.

I do like dem numbers!  Looks to me like you're on to something...at least for the time being.  You may be able to up the cadence as you get back in shape but some of us just will never be high cadence runners...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:27 am

I didn't know you were a shot putter!  Since you and I are probably 1 to 2 grades apart max, I wouldn't have thought that girls track and field would've started then.  It sure hadn't down in Texas.  Heck, it hadn't even started in colleges when I graduated from TCU in '79.  I guess Title IX started in the early 80's.  But Oregon was more progressive, I reckon.

As far as cadence, yeah, it'd take me years to get up into the 170's.  And with old fogies looking like a 15 minute mile is speedy, even Hal, I'm not figuring to be the exception.  I just want to maintain muscle mass or very slowly lose it.  Body mass I have.

-30-

I didn't run yesterday and I should've.  But the distance I wanted to do was not feasible in the time allowed.  For y'all?  Sure, but not me.

This morning, it was a very sticky 76 degrees, even worse than Monday's 78.  We had some rain yesterday and the remnants in the concrete were evaporating, which caused the almost insta-sweat.  It did affect the running, but not like it would have at the 164 cadence.

6.66 miles, 1:35:17, 14:19 avg pace, 154 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length
1.  14:18, 156 spm, 72 sl
2.  13:58, 156 spm, 74 sl
3.  13:57, 156 spm, 74 sl
4.  14:07, 155 spm, 73 sl
5.  14:26, 153 spm, 73 sl
6.  14:44, 151 spm, 72 sl
7.  14:51 pace, 146 spm, 74 sl

I did, in fact, run the Devil's Loop (to a water fountain at Memorial Park and back).  This was an incremental step up in distance.  I had finished well at 5 miles on Monday, so let's see how I do at 6.66.

Well, I started slowing at 4.75, as evidenced by the time and slippage at cadence.  Part of it was due to minor (and I mean minor) ups and downs in elevation that occurs when you're not running on pancake flat concrete.  Hill work (parking garage) can take care of that.

The run was also beneficial for telling me that I'm probably good for 8 miles, unless animals are chasing me, in which case 'Bye, y'all!'

So, I have about 12 miles for the week and I'll lace the shoes up tomorrow and see how far I can go, up to 5 miles.  It's been a good week, so far, and I have some motivation and encouragement for the month.  As long as a hurricane doesn't show up, which I don't believe will happen because it's statistically rare.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:52 am

ounce wrote:I didn't know you were a shot putter!  Since you and I are probably 1 to 2 grades apart max, I wouldn't have thought that girls track and field would've started then.  It sure hadn't down in Texas.  Heck, it hadn't even started in colleges when I graduated from TCU in '79.  I guess Title IX started in the early 80's.  But Oregon was more progressive, I reckon.

As far as cadence, yeah, it'd take me years to get up into the 170's.  And with old fogies looking like a 15 minute mile is speedy, even Hal, I'm not figuring to be the exception.  I just want to maintain muscle mass or very slowly lose it.  Body mass I have.

-30-

I didn't run yesterday and I should've.  But the distance I wanted to do was not feasible in the time allowed.  For y'all?  Sure, but not me.

This morning, it was a very sticky 76 degrees, even worse than Monday's 78.  We had some rain yesterday and the remnants in the concrete were evaporating, which caused the almost insta-sweat.  It did affect the running, but not like it would have at the 164 cadence.

I did, in fact, run the Devil's Loop (to a water fountain at Memorial Park and back).  This was an incremental step up in distance.  I had finished well at 5 miles on Monday, so let's see how I do at 6.66.

Well, I started slowing at 4.75, as evidenced by the time and slippage at cadence.  Part of it was due to minor (and I mean minor) ups and downs in elevation that occurs when you're not running on pancake flat concrete.  Hill work (parking garage) can take care of that.

The run was also beneficial for telling me that I'm probably good for 8 miles, unless animals are chasing me, in which case 'Bye, y'all!'

So, I have about 12 miles for the week and I'll lace the shoes up tomorrow and see how far I can go, up to 5 miles.  It's been a good week, so far, and I have some motivation and encouragement for the month.  As long as a hurricane doesn't show up, which I don't believe will happen because it's statistically rare.

Thanks for stopping by.
That's your longest run in quite awhile if I remember correctly.  Not bad considering the conditions.  Looks like forward progress to me!

Title IX passed in 1972.  As a freshman I was a member of the first volleyball team and the first girls track team at Sandy Union High School.  Our volleyball uniforms consisted of our PE shirts with a number stuck on with electrical tape.  I chose #11. Razz  Our track coach was the PE teacher and she didn't want to be there.  The boys coaches ignored us.  Then at the district meet the head boys coach who was a pretty nice guy took me aside and made me warm up...what run...what are you talking about. What a Face  But being the obedient child I was I ran  jogged around the track...and then proceeded to put 3' farther than I had ever put before and qualified for the state meet.  The boys throwing coach took notice and I got coaching the next year as did the rest of the girls team.  I didn't place at state my freshman year, was eighth the next year, missed my junior year as I was an exchange student in Australia, returned to finish 3rd my senior year.  That's my claim to fame!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:30 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I didn't know you were a shot putter!  Since you and I are probably 1 to 2 grades apart max, I wouldn't have thought that girls track and field would've started then.  It sure hadn't down in Texas.  Heck, it hadn't even started in colleges when I graduated from TCU in '79.  I guess Title IX started in the early 80's.  But Oregon was more progressive, I reckon.

-30-

Thanks for stopping by.
That's your longest run in quite awhile if I remember correctly.  Not bad considering the conditions.  Looks like forward progress to me!

Title IX passed in 1972.  As a freshman I was a member of the first volleyball team and the first girls track team at Sandy Union High School.  Our volleyball uniforms consisted of our PE shirts with a number stuck on with electrical tape.  I chose #11. Razz  Our track coach was the PE teacher and she didn't want to be there.  The boys coaches ignored us.  Then at the district meet the head boys coach who was a pretty nice guy took me aside and made me warm up...what run...what are you talking about. What a Face  But being the obedient child I was I ran  jogged around the track...and then proceeded to put 3' farther than I had ever put before and qualified for the state meet.  The boys throwing coach took notice and I got coaching the next year as did the rest of the girls team.  I didn't place at state my freshman year, was eighth the next year, missed my junior year as I was an exchange student in Australia, returned to finish 3rd my senior year.  That's my claim to fame!!
Maybe it was after I left college when softball became a sport.  In high school, we had girls volleyball, tennis, and drill team.  I didn't know that was part of Title IX.

You showed promise in high school to get the boy's throwing coach to give you some tips.  Was your technique the ball under your chin, then back up a few steps and chunk it or the current discus-type spin and chunk?

Thanks for that explanation.

-30-

I got up this morning and seemed to be too tired to run, a day after the 6.66.  But I wanted to see if I could run 3 or 4 miles.  Ordinarily, feeling like I did would have caused me to go back to bed.

So, I laced them up and headed out.  The body was absolutely correct.  I didn't get a tenth of a mile before my cadence started slowing.  In turn, I just walked for about an hour.  I'll have to test different scenarios to see if running M-W-F, with Monday being the long run will be sustainable.  After all, it was yesterday when I ran the 6.66.

12 for the week with a good pace for summertime in Houston.  I'll take it.

Y'all have a nice weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:11 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

-30-

Thanks for stopping by.

Maybe it was after I left college when softball became a sport.  In high school, we had girls volleyball, tennis, and drill team.  I didn't know that was part of Title IX.

You showed promise in high school to get the boy's throwing coach to give you some tips.  Was your technique the ball under your chin, then back up a few steps and chunk it or the current discus-type spin and chunk?

Thanks for that explanation.

-30-

I got up this morning and seemed to be too tired to run, a day after the 6.66.  But I wanted to see if I could run 3 or 4 miles.  Ordinarily, feeling like I did would have caused me to go back to bed.

So, I laced them up and headed out.  The body was absolutely correct.  I didn't get a tenth of a mile before my cadence started slowing.  In turn, I just walked for about an hour.  I'll have to test different scenarios to see if running M-W-F, with Monday being the long run will be sustainable.  After all, it was yesterday when I ran the 6.66.

12 for the week with a good pace for summertime in Houston.  I'll take it.

Y'all have a nice weekend.
I did the backwards slide across the ring not the spin like they do today.  Not sure I'm coordinated enough for that.

So...the rest of the story...the boys coaches required us to enter 3 events and at least one had to be a running event.  I threw the discus and javelin a few times without much success.  For my running event I chose the 880(yards).  It was the longest event that girls were allowed to run and the least embarrassing for me.  I place 2nd to last once.  Every other time I was last.  No wonder it took me a long time (31 years) to decide running was actually an OK thing to do.  Mom occasionally sees the coaches in town and they still laugh when she tells them I'm a runner now. Shocked

You're from the right era...do you remember Dave Wottle?  He won Olympic gold in the 800 in 1972.  He was famous for wearing a golf cap while running and on the medal stand.  He was our hero.  My Dad bought all the girls that were interested welding hats.  They were similar but cheap and brightly colored.  We called them our Wottle hats.  It was a great team building idea.  We thought we were pretty cool!

I think the walk today was probably a good idea and in the long run pretty beneficial.  I'm sure Mark and Maffetone would agree.

Rest up over the weekend and let us know how you do next week.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:32 pm

I remember Dave Wottle only because of the hat.  If track and field was the only thing on "ABC's Wild World of Sports" on Saturday afternoons, then I would watch it.  I was the trainer for my high school's track team for 3 years.  That was fun.  The first thing I had to do upon arrival was to take our parachute, a pole, and some stakes and hoist our shade producer.

Back to running in the now, I'm looking forward to Monday's run.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Ah, summertime in Houston.  No hurricanes in the near term because of our sixth Saharan dust visit, this year, which is a good thing unless you have respiratory issues.  There again, it's still better than hurricanes.  The Saharan dust acts as an inhibitor of tropical troubles because it dries out the atmosphere.  Unlike pollen, which populates the first hundred feet above the ground, the dust can go up to 8,000 feet or so.  I have no respiratory issues, however after the winds still, the dust does fall to the ground and looks like 2 week's worth of dust.  The dust did affect viewing the Perseid meteor shower.

This morning it was 79 degrees with a breeze, as long as there was a flat avenue next to you for it to flow.  I ran the Devil's Loop, although after mile 3 the cadence of 155 started to slow and sputter.  I committed to running the full 6.66 after passing the 2.5 mile turnaround point.  I knew that I would slow down, but I wanted to see when I would start to plod (>15 min pace).  I last ran on Friday for 6.66 miles.

6.66 miles, 1:39:05, 14:52 pace, 150 avg cadence, 72 avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:25, 2nd half pace 15:19
1.  14:27, 156 spm, 72 sl
2.  14:12, 155 spm, 73 sl
3.  14:20, 155 spm, 73 sl
4.  14:52, 151 spm, 72 sl
5.  15:15, 146 spm, 72 sl
6.  15:45, 142 spm, 72 sl
7.  15:28 pace, 143 spm, 73 sl

No clue as to why this was 4 minutes slower than the total time of Friday's run.  Nothing hurt.  It was a tad warmer and I had 2 days rest.  But I finished and finishing was a nice thing.  Thanks for your time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:43 pm

78 degrees, this morning.  Having ran 6.66 on Monday, I thought to dial back the distance some, but at a 'faster' pace.  As a result, I ran 4 miles.  I also bumped the cadence up 1 to 166 because it seemed my miles had been ran at 166, so it shouldn't be a big deal.  And I don't think it was.

4 miles, 54:52, 13:43 avg pace, 156 avg cadence, 0.75 avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:40, 2nd half pace 13:46.
1.  13:53, 156 spm, 74 sl
2.  13:24, 157 spm, 77 sl
3.  13:55, 156 spm, 74 sl
4.  13:38, 155 spm, 76 sl

I could've sworn that mile 3's cadence would've been lower than 156.  It just didn't seem the same cadence and time as mile 1.  I was leaning my body more for mile 3 and 4 than 1 and 2 (leaning keeps me from heel striking harder and, thereby, slowing in the later miles).  Maybe the leaning offset my perception of a lower cadence.

It would be nice to have the positive feeling about the numbers, but I do not yet.  I seem to believe my endurance is less than the numbers show.

Thanks for your time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Friday, it was 79 degrees in the dark morning.  I was eyeing a 5 mile run.  Seemed like a decent push that would give me 16 miles for the week which is up from 12 the prior week.

As it turns out, I ran 4.  There was general discomfort in the quads.  They were mentioning that I was starting to act like I was training for something.  Like I wanted to train for something.  They were to call a meeting to mull this over.  Until they could decide whether to go along with this new path of an old idea, I was reduced to 80% and a 156 cadence.

4 miles, 58:30, 14:37 pace, 151 cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:13, 2nd half pace 15:01
1.  14:22, 155 spm, 72 sl
2.  14:05, 157 spm, 73 sl
3.  15:03, 147 spm, 73 sl
4.  14:57, 146 spm, 74 sl

Pretty sorrowful run, considering the past 4 runs.  But there was some fatigue, I guess, from the quads reminiscent of a recovery run the day after a 16-20 mile run.

14.66 miles for the week; M-6.66, W-4, & F-4.

After no running since Friday, tomorrow morning I will go at it again and do the Devil's Loop (6.66 miles) before increasing the long run on Aug 27.  I wanted to go up to 8 miles, tomorrow, but I'll try to be prudent.  Might try 8.79 on the 27th, which is running the full Memorial Park loop of about 3 miles with the to and fro.

Thanks for your time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:56 pm

I didn't get out this morning.  I awakened around 2 and couldn't get back to sleep until about 3:30 with the alarm set at 4.  I didn't think that it would be worth the effort.  I'll try tomorrow morning.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:09 am

ounce wrote:I didn't get out this morning.  I awakened around 2 and couldn't get back to sleep until about 3:30 with the alarm set at 4.  I didn't think that it would be worth the effort.  I'll try tomorrow morning.

Sometimes our body just tells us what we can/can't or should/shouldn't do.  Your body obviously needed a rest and the sleepless night didn't help!  Good choice.

Don't get discouraged with your run last Friday.  I know how you feel.  It's really tough when you have goals and want to ramp back up and your body just doesn't cooperate.  Maybe a shorter than planned easier recovery run was what you needed that day.  Don't try to ramp up your mileage to quickly.  Do more miles one week and then step back and allow your body time to adjust the next week.  Work into two weeks of increasing mileage with one week of lower mileage.  It will come.  Growing old isn't for sissy's and it's not always fun but we aren't going to change it so I guess we better embrace it and do what we can with a smile on our face.

Keep moving...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next