365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coming back after an extended layoff

+3
Mike MacLellan
ounce
Mark B
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Coming back after an extended layoff - Page 2 Empty Re: Coming back after an extended layoff

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:29 am

Sorry to hear Tim.  I know how hard you worked for this.  My advice would be not to give up yet...and to go and start the race no matter what.  You'll enjoy the experience even if you can't actually run the entire race.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Coming back after an extended layoff - Page 2 Empty Re: Coming back after an extended layoff

Post  ounce Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:35 am

Tim C wrote:Quick update: Last Saturday was a planned easy 8 mile trail run.  Longest run since surgery was 6 but I felt good.  5 miles in my left calf cramped / spasmed / whatever and it was so bad I had to hitch a ride back to my car.  Stretched and rolled the calf all week and no improvement.  Tried to run twice this week and was able to log a total of 1 mile - yes 1 mile running this week and 1 mile walking back to the house...

So I'm 21 weeks out from Boston and my highest mileage week since my surgery in March was 2 weeks ago and that was a whopping 16 miles.  12 last week and 1 this week  Geez...

I'm thinking the calf is acting up because I'm favoring the knee when I run.  Whatever, I'm nearing the point where I'll have to write running Boston off.  I don't care about a PR as that is completely out the window.  I just want to be able to run the damn thing and just don't know if there's enough time left to build any kind of base at this point.

I'm still hopeful but at some point I may have to be realistic and accept it's just not in the cards.

Getting old and being injured just sucks...
I'd go to a chiro or doc to set you up with a PT to figure it out.  Your out of whack somewhere in your chain.  Three years ago, I had bad calf pain and it ended up that my left ankle was collapsing inward causing too much wear on the left inside heel.  That was in October and I was able to run Houston in January.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2