365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double Half Mary

+4
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
Julie
Peg Coover
8 posters

Go down

Double Half Mary Empty Double Half Mary

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:37 pm

I registered for this inaugural event:

http://doublehalfmary.wordpress.com/

I have about 4 weeks left in HH Intermediate Half plan for a Labor Day weekend half, then should have about 6 weeks until this double half--13.1 on both Sat. and Sun.

Any thoughts on how to train? Either starting now or after my half on Sept. 1?

Thanks!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Double Half Mary Empty Re: Double Half Mary

Post  Julie Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:12 pm

One of my friends is running that. I would maybe do some back to back semi-long runs just to get used to running on tired legs but I don't think it will be as hard as running a marathon (but that might depend on how all-out you go the first day).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

I think Hal's pace run/Long run combo would serve you well. Instead of a marathon pace run, you could do something like:

Sat: 10 miles, with 3 mile w/u, 5 mile tempo run, 2 mile c/d
Sun: 16-20 miles

The key is to practice running the second day on fatigued legs.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 am

I agree with Dave-O. When I ran the Goofy thing back in 2008, I simply used Hal's strategy for back to back runs, but I added 2-3 miles to the "pace run". I think back-to-back half marathons is very doable, and you will not be nearly as beat up after the 2nd as after a marathon.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:09 pm

I've got nothing to add other than it is a cool gimmick for a race and I wish more did that. I'd sign up. Two days, two halfs. Sounds better than that madness they do in Lake Tahoe with 3 days, 3 marathons.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:56 pm

No idea, cause Jerry only believes one bullet, one shot, one kill or be killed. geek
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:20 am

Ok, so I did my half marathon on Sept. 1. It didn't go too well, but oh well. The humidity was horrible and I had stomach issues. It was a lot slower than I've run a half since 2007! As I was run/walking the last 3 miles, I decided to call it a training run and so yesterday I ran 6.5. It wasn't too bad.

I'm looking at HH marathon plans now trying to figure out where to jump in to train for the double half coming up in 6 weeks.

My last few weeks of training for my half consisted of speedwork, some 5 and 10 K races, long runs of 11.5, 8.5, 12, 12--usually around 28-34 miles per week.

As per Dave and Michele's posts, I plan to run something like 8/12 or 7/14......just not sure how long I need to build up to and what my mid week runs should look like.

And what about taper? Is it necessary? Any thoughts....?
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:49 pm

I guess I will run 8 tomorrow and try for 10 on Sunday (feel like a bit of a "step back" is called for after racing the last two weekends.)

Then add on for a couple weeks, maybe step back, and take it easy the weekend before....

Not sure what else to do in the next 5 weeks.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:29 pm

If it were me, I'd do what I call cheater doubles...run in the afternoon and then the next morning, or run the same distance and pace (slower than half) two days in a row at least once to get used to running tired. Or, like Michele suggested, do the HH 10/20. In other words, I would just train as if I was running a marathon: mine is mostly easy miles with a speed work session, a long run, and a tempo/marathon pace run each week...I think that it is good all around training. You could trim back the miles some, for instance only run 15 instead of 20 for your long run, but I think you want to get time on your feet.

Then taper as usual. It sounds like a fun "race."

E Greenie<--but what do I know?
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:46 pm

What is your goal for the weekend? If tryin gfor a PR since your last half didn't go great, then go all out on Saturday and run Sunday for fun. I almost think that's a good option anyway unless you are doing both just for the experience.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:29 am

EugeneGreenie wrote:If it were me, I'd do what I call cheater doubles...run in the afternoon and then the next morning, or run the same distance and pace (slower than half) two days in a row at least once to get used to running tired. Or, like Michele suggested, do the HH 10/20. In other words, I would just train as if I was running a marathon: mine is mostly easy miles with a speed work session, a long run, and a tempo/marathon pace run each week...I think that it is good all around training. You could trim back the miles some, for instance only run 15 instead of 20 for your long run, but I think you want to get time on your feet.

Then taper as usual. It sounds like a fun "race."

E Greenie<--but what do I know?

Thanks for the input E!

I ended up running 8.5 Saturday and 15 Sunday--was going to do 12, but the weather was fantastic and I felt great. This coming weekend I will do my step back.

I will probably try to do another big double weekend in two weeks, like 10/15. Then maybe again the following weekend and then a two week taper.

JohnP wrote:What is your goal for the weekend? If tryin gfor a PR since your last half didn't go great, then go all out on Saturday and run Sunday for fun. I almost think that's a good option anyway unless you are doing both just for the experience.

John, good question about goal! My half PR is 1:58:10, two years ago. A year ago I ran it in 2:01:xx and I ran 2:04:xx last May on a different course. Initially I was thinking I would try to run a decent pace for both of them...like around 2:10 or so. I've been thinking the faster I do the first day, the lower my expectations will be for the second day! No matter what, I want to run both of them faster than my last disappointing half marathon (2:22)! I haven't seen a course map yet, but they are both on Rail Trails so shouldn't be very hilly. The surface will be crushed limestone.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:42 pm

This weekend I ran 4 miles at about 9:30 pace, then ran a mud/obstacle run, untimed but we think it took 39 mins for the "5K". The next day I ran 10 at 10:24 pace.

I am doing my long run combo this week on Wed/Thurs as I have a busy weekend. Shooting for 10/15 or even 10/16.

4 more weeks!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Double Half Mary Empty Good back to back runs!

Post  Peg Coover Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Really good long run after a pace run yesterday! (Did 2.5 mile warm up, then 7.5 at about 9:45 pace--some faster!, then a mile cool down.) I had mapped out a figure 8 route and dropped water in two locations. But, some files I was waiting on didn't arrive so I did three 5 mile loops instead, stopping to check my computer after each loop. Other than those two little breaks, where I also got a drink and ate a half of an E Gel, I didn't walk or stop. I also had water from my stash.

I planned on the first loop at about 10:45 pace, and the splits were 10:48, 10:41, 10:48, 10:39, 10:41. I planned on the next loop at about 10:30 pace and the splits were 10:32, 10:28, 10:30, 10:29, 10:26. Then I hoped to keep the last 5 miles under 10:20 pace, hopefully closer to 10:15 and the splits were 10:04, 10:07, 10:08, 9:56, 9:43, and the last half at 9:57 pace!

I would say it was a successful two days getting ready for the double half marathon in 3.5 weeks. It was a big confidence booster!

I also wore my new shoes and they were great--felt better as the run went on. I was going to change them if I needed to but didn't need to!

Next week I will do about the same runs, but am wondering what to do for taper, how much to taper, what to run that last weekend before...
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:59 pm

4 miles super easy on Friday--Saturday no run. sunday 8 miles in 1:16--great pace! Great run!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Double Half Mary Empty Training update: Peak week

Post  Peg Coover Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:49 pm

So, Monday I ran 6 easy, then Tuesday no running but did Body Pump and Turbo Kick at the Y.

Wednesday was 11 miles, with 4 mile warm up and 7 at a faster pace-with 4 of them at the 9:40 pace.

Today I did 16, 6 at 10:45 pace, 5 at 10:30 pace, and 5 anything under 10:30..max was about 10:06. Felt pretty good, although after my glutes and hammies were tight.

This weekend I will do 5 or 6 on Sat and 8 on Sun, then start to taper....two week taper--still trying to figure out what I will do, but probably keep the mid week runs at 6-8, and then maybe 10/12 on the weekend...and maybe just 4 runs. Then the last week probably taper as much as I would if it were a full.

Our weather has been fantastic!!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down