365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

+4
nkrichards
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
8 posters

Page 32 of 41 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 41  Next

Go down

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 32 Empty Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Funny about the drape hat - but I'm betting on humidity (Houston) vs. no humidity (DV) and why I liked mine so much.  Too bad about the cool sleeves as they were indeed interesting me quite a bit  - oh well.

This is where I got some of the sun/heat stuff to wear: www.solumbra.com
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Funny about the drape hat - but I'm betting on humidity (Houston) vs. no humidity (DV) and why I liked mine so much.  Too bad about the cool sleeves as they were indeed interesting me quite a bit  - oh well.

This is where I got some of the sun/heat stuff to wear: www.solumbra.com
Thanks, Miche1e.  I looked at solumbra about 6 years ago, when I was planning on running a marathon in Odessa, Texas, which is considered West Texas or 250 miles from El Paso.  Dry, flat, and dust.  I found a cheaper type of drape hat at REI, of all places.  Solumbra sure has its place...like Death Valley!

I was disappointed about the cool sleeves, too.  Runners at Javelina Hundred wore them and loved them.  There again, 15% humidity is oppressive to Arizona people.  Even with water-drenched sleeves, they didn't keep my arm cool unless a stiff breeze was hitting me.  From Columbia's own packaging..."Omni-Freeze Zero - Little blue rings react with perspiration to lower the temperature of the fabric, so you can sweat smarter."

Their saving grace is they block UVA and UVB and are UPF50.  So, I think I'll wear them for that, rather than a long sleeve tech shirt.  I'll be a colorful SOB out there, at least.

-30-

I managed to eek out a positive note on all of this running in 86 degree, full sunshine, dewpoint of 65 degree weather.  I'll have cooler temps and almost sunrise at the gun, so what running I end up doing will be in the coolest part of the day.

Zippity doodah, zippity ay.  My, oh my, what a wonderful day.

Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:26 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving back from New Orleans.  I noted the first mile marker after crossing over from Louisiana was 880, which means it's 880 miles on Interstate 10 to the New Mexico state line.

I found it oddly humorous that someone at the DOT put up the following 'mileage to' sign about 3 miles into Texas

Beaumont   23
El Paso     857

Enjoy your drive!  (My editorial comment.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:38 pm

The race director for BB sent out an email for making a contribution to a spinal research outfit.  Any donation and you can select your bib number for the next race.  So, I plunked down 20 bucks.  I found out today that my bib number request was granted.  So my bib number will be:

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:43 pm

I had a real good run, this morning.  It was dark, 62 degrees with a dewpoint of 54 and a NW wind of 10-15.  I ran the Devil's Loop of 6.66 miles (actually 6.72 miles) at an overall pace of 13:19 at 145 avg bpm with the 1st half pace of 13:26 and a 2nd half pace of 13:12.

Amazing what one can do when it's 20 degrees cooler and dark.

I won't say my knee is healed, but it sure is playing nice with the rest of the body.

SHOCKING, I know.

I found a blog that has a formula for an "Ice Bandana" which involves a bandana, chamois, and ice.  The runner claims the Ice Bandana will keep one's neck cool for 2 hours in 95+ degree weather.  I shall let y'all know after I test it out and 'race' with it, next Saturday.

I'll post a link to the race's Finish line times.  I've read where it doesn't give splits for the 1st loop (or 1st and 2nd, for the 50 mile bunch), just the finish, but in real time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:51 pm

Love, love, love that bib number!!!!!  So can we track using the link you will provide us?  Good luck
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Love, love, love that bib number!!!!!  So can we track using the link you will provide us?  Good luck
Yeah, I like it, too.  I arranged for 666 for the Houston Marathon, one year, but later they created the corral system by bib number, so I lost out.

As far as the tracking for BB50, this was provided in the first email blast, which seems to imply they won't be giving a split after the first loop.  Maybe so, but excuse me if I don't check.

4. We make the results LIVE as soon as you finish. This eliminates you needing to come up and ask us for your time and place. We will have someone doing bibs at the sawmill aid stations and at the finish. So it will be perfect for your crew, family, friends and YOU post race to see it all. So save this link, share it and use it.. http://ultrasignup.com/live/live.htm?dtid=22123

Thanks, Miche1e, I'm getting stuff in order.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Y'all who run races in the heat or warmth may know about Gatorade slushies, but those are going to be at the race, next Saturday.

Right now, the forecast for the race is 54 degrees at the gun with a high of 80, which would occur around 3 or 4 p.m.  A cool front is supposed to come in Wednesday or Thursday.  Of course, this is subject to change.  Sunny skies with a south 10-15 wind.  The south breeze indicates the humidity will be coming back on Saturday, though initially the south breeze will be the cool air that's south of the park.

You mean all this training in 86 degree weather will go to waste?!??!  Okay, fine by me! Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:46 am

Sound like pretty decent running conditions for Texas at this time of year.  I'd take it.  I've been training in the warm weather this winter - so I am hoping the weather in Boston is cool.  It did snow up there yesterday - so there is that.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sound like pretty decent running conditions for Texas at this time of year.  I'd take it.  I've been training in the warm weather this winter - so I am hoping the weather in Boston is cool.  It did snow up there yesterday - so there is that.
Yes, it is durn near the seasonal temps for early April (77 high & 56 low).  And with all the rain the eastern half of Texas received, yesterday, south of Interstate 10 (Brazos Bend is south of 10) received less than a tenth.  So, that'll give the mushy areas of the course more of a chance to dry out, especially with a small chance of rain on Wednesday being the only chance.  But it's only Monday and this is always subject to change.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sunday's forecast becomes Saturday's, as the week rolls along.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 32 Image2
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Do I sense a tiny bit of taper madness...or maybe just concern about the weather.

Just in case I don't have time to check back in I'll wish you a safe, enjoyable event!  Have fun!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:14 pm

nkrichards wrote:Do I sense a tiny bit of taper madness...or maybe just concern about the weather.

Just in case I don't have time to check back in I'll wish you a safe, enjoyable event!  Have fun!!
Well, I suspect it's a bit of both.  However, I've learned to not watch THE day for its weather, but the 2 days before the race and the day after the race to see how much sliding of winds and morning lows occurs.  And for Saturday, temps are pretty much the same as they were reported on Monday.

Thanks, Nancy, I will do my best to stay in one piece and lap as many people as I can. 

The body is still about the same as it was last week.  I ran 3 miles Tuesday at a 70 degree in the daylight morning run.  Things went well.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:08 am

ounce wrote:
4. We make the results LIVE as soon as you finish. This eliminates you needing to come up and ask us for your time and place. We will have someone doing bibs at the sawmill aid stations and at the finish. So it will be perfect for your crew, family, friends and YOU post race to see it all. So save this link, share it and use it.. http://ultrasignup.com/live/live.htm?dtid=22123
So, if you click on the link above, you'll come to the UltraSignup page for the Brazos Bend 50.
Then:
1.  Click on "Live Standings"
2.  Click in the box labeled "50 Miler"
3.  Select 50K
4.  The 50K list is sort alphabetically by last name, so scroll down to entrant 134 out of 159 and I'll be there.  Sorry, Mark, that you'll have to scroll for such a long time for my last name.  Take the scrolling in stages so you don't wear yourself out.  Welcome to my world and Nancy's world on last names.
5.  Click on my name, which will send you to a new page.
6.  In the upper left corner of the page it says, "+ Add Doug To Watch" click on that and I'm added to your watch list.
7.  To verify, in the upper right corner is a white house on a red background.  Click on that.
8.  Click on "Watchlist"

Again, I don't know if there will be a 1st lap split, then a finish time or what.  But that's how to set me up on the watch list.  Hopefully, I'll be done by 5 p.m. CT.  The race starts at 7 CT (50 mile starts at 6) and I'll try to get to the park a little after 5 a.m., so I can find a parking spot fairly close to the Start/Finish line.

edit:  Here is the link to the Weatherbug site at Brazos Bend State Park:  http://web.live.weatherbug.com/LiveObservations/2/BroadcasterObservations.aspx?zcode=Z4555&stat=HSTNT&LID=LOMORE

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 32 Ff5342fb-9989-4048-909c-c76390d63296

Oh, for Tuesday's 3 mile run, I had wrapped my pinky and 4th toe on both feet with Kinesio Tex tape as a result of the 12 miler the prior week regarding my left foot toes rubbing against the shoe after a couple of ups and downs in terrain.  I'm bringing an extra pair of shoes for the 2nd loop, if needed.  The taping felt fine.

Last edited by ounce on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:09 am

Forgot to mention this not so interesting tidbit about the Blazing 7's 100K race at the end of September.  I looked at the results of last year's race for the 100K and noticed the Masters group had 3 male finishers at 18+ hours.  The race awards the top 2 Masters (age 50+) for males and 2 for females.  Hmmmm.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:24 pm

ounce wrote:
ounce wrote:
So, if you click on the link above, you'll come to the UltraSignup page for the Brazos Bend 50.
Then:
3.  Select 50K
4.  The 50K list is sort alphabetically by last name, so scroll down to entrant 134 out of 159 and I'll be there.  Sorry, Mark, that you'll have to scroll for such a long time for my last name.  Take the scrolling in stages so you don't wear yourself out.  Welcome to my world and Nancy's world on last names.
6.  In the upper left corner of the page it says, "+ Add Doug To Watch" click on that and I'm added to your watch list.
7.  To verify, in the upper right corner is a white house on a red background.  Click on that.
8.  Click on "Watchlist"

Again, I don't know if there will be a 1st lap split, then a finish time or what.  But that's how to set me up on the watch list.  Hopefully, I'll be done by 5 p.m. CT.  The race starts at 7 CT (50 mile starts at 6) and I'll try to get to the park a little after 5 a.m., so I can find a parking spot fairly close to the Start/Finish line.

edit:  Here is the link to the Weatherbug site at Brazos Bend State Park:  http://web.live.weatherbug.com/LiveObservations/2/BroadcasterObservations.aspx?zcode=Z4555&stat=HSTNT&LID=LOMORE

Oh, for Tuesday's 3 mile run, I had wrapped my pinky and 4th toe on both feet with Kinesio Tex tape as a result of the 12 miler the prior week regarding my left foot toes rubbing against the shoe after a couple of ups and downs in terrain.  I'm bringing an extra pair of shoes for the 2nd loop, if needed.  The taping felt fine.

Names were sorted in reverse alphabetic order so you were near the top!  I was a "C" before I got married...definitely moved down the list when I got married! 

It didn't add you to my watch list.  I'll try again later...or just check the live standings.

Stay safe and enjoy yourself out there! Running Running Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:46 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
ounce wrote:
Then:
3.  Select 50K
8.  Click on "Watchlist"

Names were sorted in reverse alphabetic order so you were near the top!  I was a "C" before I got married...definitely moved down the list when I got married! 

It didn't add you to my watch list.  I'll try again later...or just check the live standings.

Stay safe and enjoy yourself out there! Running Running Running
Thanks, Nancy!  Yes, I will work on enjoying myself.  Short of limping, I will finish.  I may be lame afterwards, but that's afterwards.

Check the standings after 3 p.m. PT (5 central).  I'm going to work on sub-10 and closer to 9.  I'm going to take advantage of the cooler weather and run as far as I can with it.  Hopefully, the wind will be there tomorrow, like it was at the Park this afternoon when I got my 666 bib.

When I picked it up, the girl crossing my name off said, "6...uh, I can't say that.  It seems taboo.  Is that number okay for you?"  I said, "Of course, I PAID extra for 666." Laughing  I think I'll try that for next year's Houston. Twisted Evil
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:02 am

Specifically for races, I set my alarm clock and my phone to wake me in the weird occurrence of sleeping until the alarm and if I forget to turn on the alarm clock.  The 2nd happened, this morning.  But I looked at the clock and it said 2:51, which was close enough to 3:15.  I forgot to turn the alarm on, but the phone would've worked.

So it's 57 degrees out at the park with a dewpoint of 55, which means it won't get much cooler than 55.  It was 60 degrees at midnight.  Only a 3 degree drop.  In contrast, down the street from me it was 64 degrees at midnight and is now 58 degrees with a dewpoint of the same 55.  So it's 94% and 90% humidity, respectively.

I have wrapped 3 toes on each foot, specifically the 3rd, 4th, and the pinky, with KinesioTex tape.  I have my Ice Bandana but haven't tested it on a run.  I did put ice in the chamois pocket, but the only concern is if the double knot will hold during the jostling of running.  I think by mile 8 or around 9 a.m., I'll put some ice in the pocket and see how it works.  The guy that created this thing said it will last about 2 hours in 95 degree heat.

The taping and the bandana are tests as to how they will function for the 100K in September.  I have cut extra tapes, in case I need to replace one.

I'll be departing at 4:30 for a 7 a.m. race so I can find a parking spot near the Finish.  The 50 mile people start at 6 a.m.  ON the way to the park yesterday afternoon, I saw a construction sign saying a key intersection on the way to the park will be closed overnight until 6 a.m.  I have two backup routes around the construction.

I'm expecting a lot of pain on Sunday morning from my left heel and limited mobility when I wake up.  I'm also expecting low to moderate pain from the heel in the last 4 hours of the race, but I will soldier on.

Now to tidy up and zip a bag or two.  Y'all have a good day.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:05 pm

8:40!!!  Awesome Doug.  I scrolled right past your name the first couple times as I was looking for a finish time between 9 and 10 hours.  I'm impressed!

Rest up and take care of those aches and pains.  Can't wait to read your race report.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Impressive run Doug!!!!  How did the knee hold up?  I'm guessing fine since you finished better than you expected.  Now rest up and write us a report on the adventure.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 pm

nkrichards wrote:8:40!!!  Awesome Doug.  I scrolled right past your name the first couple times as I was looking for a finish time between 9 and 10 hours.  I'm impressed!

Rest up and take care of those aches and pains.  Can't wait to read your race report.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Impressive run Doug!!!!  How did the knee hold up?  I'm guessing fine since you finished better than you expected.  Now rest up and write us a report on the adventure.
Thanks, y'all.  I really didn't believe it was 8:40, rather 9:40.  But the more I look at it and do the math from the official results, yeah, 8:40 was it.  So, that is a 5 minute PR from 2006 in 32 degree weather.  That still needs to sink in.  I mean, it's truly unreal that on a day with high sun, occasional decent breeze and a temperature spread of 55 in the morning and 81 before I finished (with little training) that I PR'd.  I only ran 10 miles at around 13:45 pace!

What a nice surprise!  I STILL thought it was 9:40 until I saw y'alls posts and went to the Watchlist to see it for my own eyes.

Miche1e, my bothersome left knee was completely and totally transparent to the user.  I ended up with 3 blisters on the ball of my feet...2 on the right and 1 on the left and some chafing.  Of course, the left heel is sore.

I am having second thoughts about doing the 100K in September.

Now, I'm limping over to my favorite pizza joint, Fuzzy's, about a mile from the apt.  I wanted to walk to it, but with the blisters, that's not going to happen.

Thanks again!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Get your coffee pot by your computer.  It's race report time.

The Brazos Bend 50 was hosted by the Brazos Bend State Park on April 8.  It would be my first 50K since December 2006.  My training was pretty light because my left knee had been really pissy since last May.  I wasn’t able to run Houston as a result.

I had an 8 or 9 mile endurance base, but I knew I could finish the race because the time allowed was so long.  For this race, specifically the weather, I did a lot of research on combating heat, issues of the feet, and running the trails at BB, which is 44 miles southwest of Houston.  Seasonal temps would be 78 for a high and a 54 for a low.  Our weather has been up to 88, this year.  But the high was 81 and the low 55, so not too bad, especially the 55 degree low!!!  Sunday’s low was 66 degrees…boo!

The bottom line is I ran 10 and walked 21 for a total time of 8:40, a 6 minute PR.  First loop was in 3:37 and the second loop was in 5:03.

The 2006 50K was done in December when the temp at race time was 32 degrees.  That course, 70 miles north of Houston at Huntsville State Park, rolled some and the runner had to constantly watch foot placement for surface tree roots.  At that race, I ran 17 miles and walked 14. 

I should note that the Park Ranger told us on the Friday pre-race meeting that we shouldn’t see any alligators in the morning, but should see and hear much more in the afternoon because it’s mating season.  He also said that if you have to pass a gator to pass him or her on the tail side and don’t try to hurdle a gator.  Check.

So now, I’ll write about the race.

For April in southeast Texas, the starting race weather was just wonderful.  The 50 mile bunch started at 6 and we started at 7.  I arrived there about 5:15 and got a parking place a little further down the road than I would have liked.  But at 6:15 I saw a Park Ranger motioning cars wanting to park in the grass between asphalt parking areas.  I asked him if I could move my car to one of those MUCH closer areas, because they don’t like people parking on the grass.  He said for the races (I know there are 2 race dates at BB) and Easter weekend, the park allows parking in the grass, just don’t block a driveway.  I be-bopped to my car and secured a prime, prime spot about 70 feet from the finish line.  I was a happy, happy runner.  Now, my post-race death walk was very short to the car.

I got all lubed up, had my sleeves, drape hat plus water bottle and headed to the back of the start line about 2 minutes before the start.  I announced, “I’m the 10 hour pace group leader.  No guarantees that I’ll finish, much less in 10 hours.” The ones that noticed did like my 666 bib number.

The race started and I settled into a groove pretty easily.  After about a mile, there was this girl that was doing a 2 minute run/1 minute walk.  We netted about the same overall pace.  Her name was Karen and she ended up being my motivating factor for the whole race because we ran and walked about the same pace. 

We didn’t stick together the whole race, but when I was ahead of her in the first 7 miles, I wanted to stay ahead of her, just for the motivation.  When I gave up running at mile 10, she went on ahead and I didn’t see her again until mile 19.  At the end of the first loop at mile 15.8, she was 9 minutes ahead of me (I found this out on the website after the race).  I was in great shape mentally and very good shape after the first loop.  Absolutely no knee troubles and very minimal left heel troubles.

A few weeks prior to the race, she had injured something behind her right knee, so she became a walking wounded around mile 18.  She had sat on one of the many benches for 5 or so minutes, she told me.  So from mile 19 to mile 25, we were joined at the hip, talking about anything to keep our minds off our pains.  She was from Beaumont (90 miles east of Houston) and had been running for about 5 years and this was her 2nd ultra.

At each of the aid stations, I replenished the water my 21 ounce bottle, replaced the ice in my ice bandana, giant sponged my sleeves, took some Endurolyte capsules, and maybe grabbed a cookie.  Putting new ice in the bandana took the most time.  I didn’t dawdle and it seemed like each stop took 3-4 minutes.  I didn’t carry any food with me, as per my plan.

We spotted our first alligator at mile 20.  It was on the bank of the lake with surface water-type plants on its back and 15 feet away from me.  Karen got one of the tourists to take a photo of her about 6 feet away from the gator.  Evidently, Karen wasn’t the gator’s type for love, nor dinner.  That was the nearest of the three gator sightings.

By mile 22, I could tell I had some blisters growing on the ball of both feet, pretty much in the same locations.  The left heel was whining, but compliant.  My knee hurt no worse than my ears.  And my ears were just fine.  However during the 23rd mile, I was starting to feel a wee bit of nausea coming on.  I knew this wasn’t good, so drank a bit of water and moved on.  By mile 24, the nausea had resolved itself and I turned off the feet pains.

At the mile 25 aid station, I took one of the soaked in ice water giant sponges and squeezed it completely on Karen’s head (with her permission).  She screamed with shock on how cold that was on her reddening skin.  That was fun.  I was having some chafing in the fanny area, so I asked for some Vaseline and a tongue depressor.  The volunteer came up with a unique substitute for the tongue depressor, as they had none.  I was handed a plastic, serrated knife.  It worked well, both at ginger application and the last 6 miles. 

I told Karen that she didn’t have to wait, as I had to do the ice, the sponge, the replenishment, I drank a shot glass paper cup of Ginger Ale, plus a few potato chips.  I figured the nausea was definitely a heat related event and I drank some water in addition to the bottle.  I never had any further nausea.  The final 6.6 miles and hunting down Karen are now in my sights.

Since I hadn’t spotted Karen at the last aid station around mile 29, I just refilled my bottle, wet the sleeves, and grabbed some chips.  No ice for the bandana because it was half full.  That last 6 miles I was walking 17-18 minute miles (I turned my Garmin on for the 2nd loop), but I never saw Karen. 

I saw her at mile 30.  Karen must’ve really been boogying because I caught her at mile 31.3, with 0.3 to go.  I asked her if she was going to run the final 50 feet and she said, “Well, it won’t be running, but I’m not walking.”  So, we both started and she finished 6 seconds ahead of me.  During our run, she had mentioned she ran another race with a friend where her friend had finished 1 second ahead of Karen, so if the same situation in our race presented itself, she was going to finish ahead of me. 

Clearly, I wouldn’t have PR’d without her.  I was even walking the tangents in the last mile and a half.  After the race, I found her in a chair, thanked her and we exchanged fist bumps.  We were both tired, but very pleased.

I found my chair and bag where I had left it.  It was good to sit and not have to get up anytime soon.  On Thursday, I had made some flour tortillas to possibly eat with some freshly ground up, honey coated peanuts (peanut butter) I had bought earlier last week.  That idea was to spread the peanut butter on the tortilla after the first loop, but I was doing well on nourishment (thanks to LC/HF).  So, I smeared the peanut butter on 3 tortillas after the race and ate them.  It SURE tasted good.

I imagined that I had about 8 blisters in total on my feet.  Sure felt like it.  Aside from a justifiably whining left heel, I had no muscle soreness other than what one would expect from walking 21 miles and running 10.

But during those last 8 miles, I was considering the wisdom of doing a 100K in late September at Cat Springs, Texas (100 miles from Houston) when it would probably be 73 at the start and 93 at 3 p.m.  Of course, I would be doing some walking during the overnight period and would try to finish before the sun rose on Sunday morning.  And I would certainly change socks and try to baby the tootsies.  Maybe casually walk from noon to 6 p.m., then be a more purposeful 20 minute walker when it’s dark?

I would appreciate y’alls input on that, plus how a January marathon training program would follow a September 30 100K.  I’d really like to do the 100K.

That’s the race report.  Below I’m going to breakdown some of the equipment I used and how they performed.  Thanks for reading this far.

Taping the toes---
As mentioned on another post, I used KinesioTex tape to wrap toes 3, 4, and 5 on both feet using the method mentioned in “Fixing Your Feet.”  I wrapped them Friday night, put a sock on for the overnight period.  Two of my blisters were on each pinky toe.  I never noticed them until Monday morning!  With the Peregrine 4 shoes, I thought it best to tape them.  Since I had enough shear force to cause blisters on the ball of my feet, that will be an object of taping for 50K or longer races.

I would also have to re-wrap the feet for a 100K race.  Maybe more than just once.

Keeping cool and the weather---
I was prepared for 90% of the 81 degree weather. 
The drape hat worked wonderfully.  There was a breeze for at least half the race, which was usually a headwind and welcome.
The Columbia Cool Sleeves did not work as advertised, except for the SPF50 rating.  However, the sleeves DID work very well, when ice cold water was applied.  I wouldn’t run a warm race without them or something similar like tube socks or compression socks with the foot cut off.  I do have some chafing spots on the inside of both upper arms, nothing bad nor something Body Glide can remedy.
The Ice Bandana.  I was 95% satisfied with the Ice Bandana.  The Ultra runner who came up with this stated the ice in the 8” x 6” chamois pocket would last 2 hours in 95+ degree heat was incorrect as I experienced it, but it would last 90 minutes in 80 degree heat.  The cold feeling on the neck was rapturous!  I just tilted my head to a non-leaning position against the ice and, oh, baby, I was feelin’ good.  I filled it with ice the first time at mile 4 because I wanted to try to stay ahead of the heat curve.
https://itsallaboutthevertical.wordpress.com/2016/06/12/how-to-make-an-ice-bandana/

The combination of the three saved my bacon.  Parts were sunburned, but surely not as bad as Karen got it.

Hydration---
I filled the 21 ounce bottle every time I hit an aid station.  Later in the race, I was drinking from the bottle about 5 ounces and refilling again.  In the first three hours, I wringed out my headband twice.  Within 5 minutes after finishing the race, I took off the hat and my headband.  The headband was dry.  Bone dry.  I was clinically dehydrated with some level of heat exhaustion or heat stroke or something.  I never really felt dehydrated, except for that short bout with nausea.  I consumed a total of 8 Endurolyte capsules at 4 aid stations, then ate potato chips at later stops.  At mid race, I drank water at the stations, then refilled the bottle.  I was well hydrated before the race and peed at mile 4 and mile 17.  Just drink more, Doug.

Gaiters---
The gaiters did their job.  I had absolutely ZERO stones, pebbles, or dirt in my shoes.

Peregrine 4 shoes---
These shoes were 3 years old with minimal use, namely Reina's 50 mile run at Wild Hare 50, north of LaGrange, Texas in November 2014.  The shoes did very well, but I think my foot has widened a bit since 2014.  It was the reason I taped my toes to protect against blisters.  That worked.  The Peregrine 4 are the trail equivalent to the Saucony Kinvara 4.  I'll need to purchase the current trail version of the Kinvara 7, the Peregrine 7.

Food during the race---
As stated above, I ate for pleasure at the aid stations, not for fueling...except the potato chips for the salt.  A couple of Chips Ahoy, some watermelon, and 3 Fig Newtons.
Prior to the race, I made 3 scrambled eggs with 3 strips of bacon and milk.

You made it to the end!  Congratulations!!  Thanks for your time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:27 am

Ok, so I read and commented in the Race Report section.  But I did forget to ask how you were doing today?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Ok, so I read and commented in the Race Report section.  But I did forget to ask how you were doing today?
Today, I'm doing very well, thank you very much.  Fluid has collected in both feet, which should be re-absorbed and excreted over the next day or two.

Oddly (or maybe 'consistently') enough, my left heel was very ornery on Sunday morning, but loosened up pretty quickly and was essentially 80% within 30 minutes.  That was unexpected.  Monday morning, it was tight for 15 feet and 90% in 5 minutes.  This morning, it was unremarkable.

The blisters were limp-worthy Sunday, pretty decent on Monday morning, and no longer a problem this morning.

I was going to go out this morning to trot around, but it was supposed to rain, so I didn't bother getting up.  It didn't rain, but will this afternoon.

Sunday, I ate 200 grams of protein to help the muscles rebuild the mito, plus a pint of non-listeria flavor Blue Bell Cookies 'n Cream, a bowl of Sugar Frosted Flakes, plus other carb guilty pleasures.  Saturday night, I had a medium Hawaiian Pizza at Fuzzy's while watching the Astros, then finished it off with a pint of non-listeria flavor Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate ice cream.

Sunday I was hot, but the body temperature was 97.5 (my normal).  I had consumed 2 liters of water by noon.  The heat on my skin abated late in the afternoon.

I'll be working on getting back to LC/HF, next week.  This week, I'm a normal, carb eating 'merican.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Enjoy the Standard American Diet while you can! If nothing else, it'll get you good and loaded up on sodium.  Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Mark B wrote:Enjoy the Standard American Diet while you can! If nothing else, it'll get you good and loaded up on sodium.  Very Happy
EEK!!!! You know the acronym!!!!!!

Yeah, and I was doing so well on beating the carb addiction.  No biggie, I know what to do.

Not surprisingly, I am thinking about doing the 100K (isn't that how it always happens).  I think the first thing that I have to do is to get out of my mind the notion of having the lowest time possible versus just crossing the dang finish line in a vertical position.  

I can see having to re-wrap my foot after each loop, change socks, lube up, drink up, then move on down the road.  I can see running just until the sun gets ornery, then saunter until dusk, then walk or run (probably walk) until sunrise the next morning.  I have not put pencil to paper to see how far I would have left to finish on the preceding sentence.

I do know that at a 20 minute pace, it would take about 21 hours to walk the course and I'm swagging 2 hours maintenance for a total of 23 hours.

But do I need walking shoes for the times I would be walking?  Would it confuse my feet (causing shear, then blisters to an untaped area) to run in running shoes and walk in walking shoes?

I plan on losing weight and doing weights and core.  Kinda looks like I'm going to train for it, but it's many weeks away (end of September) and I'm still gathering data.  I also have to dovetail training for the 100K with Houston, next January.

Thanks for helping me with the due diligence.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 41 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum