365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

+4
nkrichards
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
8 posters

Page 18 of 41 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Go down

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 18 Empty Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:38 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Smart idea switching out the shoes. Run-down shoes -- especially if they have run down lopsided -- are a recipe for trouble.

Keep easing into it. You might be able to go farther by alternating running and walking. My PT had me do that once, and it helped a lot.

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Smart idea switching out the shoes. Run-down shoes -- especially if they have run down lopsided -- are a recipe for trouble.

Keep easing into it. You might be able to go farther by alternating running and walking. My PT had me do that once, and it helped a lot.

+1 on the run/walk suggestion.  And that will be good training for your ultra.

Stay safe and don't overdo it.
Well, I can't say that I'm sold on the idea of run/walk Houston because I have enough of an issue to just finishing it by running most of it.  According to an earlier post, a 5/1 at Houston would equate to a 12:24/18 minute pace for a 5:45 finish. 

I have no problem of doing run/walk for BB.  Heck, I'll be doing it anyway at some stretch of the race, so I might as well get into the groove of it.  But can it wait until after Houston...10 weeks from BB?

I was thinking more of using the run/walk method so that you could get out there on the knee sooner without risking further damage.  I'm like you...I'm not thinking it's necessary for Houston.
Howdy, Nancy.  Ah, gotcha.  Thanks.  As far as the knee, I think that I'm over the hump.  I am likening it to a recovering ankle injury (not that anyone here has those Rolling Eyes ) that is runnable, but still has a few kinks to work out.  

Time will tell.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:30 am

This morning, when the temperature was 77 degrees with a dew point of 75 degrees, I ran 4 miles.  The run went well with an average of 13:43 and none of the miles in the 14+ minute spectrum.  That was pretty surprising to me, especially when the 3rd mile was sub-14 which denotes some stamina and stability in the total run.

The left knee was a little bugged by running, but played along with it.

thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:27 pm

As a public service, here's a chart of when the hottest day of the year usually occurs across the country.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 18 Longestdayofyear
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:13 am

This morning, I went out and ran 5 miles in 77 degree air and dewpoint temperatures.  Wednesday is usually the cadence work run, where I try to stay on a 168 cadence for the entire run.  That was the goal for today, as well.  However, I didn't get even 100 yards into the run when I knew it wasn't going to be a cadence work run.

So, I just plodded along for 5 miles, which is an increase of 25%  Shocked over the usual Monday or Wednesday run distance.  My left knee didn't whine much, except when I made the transition from concrete to crushed granite.  I had a few insistent complaints, but that stopped after about 50 yards.  Funky knee.

I'll keep at it.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:34 pm

Interesting temperature chart. Our summer temperatures are so erratic, it's surprising they could come up with an average, even over time. It's been very temperate this week, with highs just around 80 and lows in the 50s. Pretty much perfect. Supposed to hit 88 tomorrow, which isn't too horrible. Last year, we had a ridiculous number of days over 90. Just hot enough to be annoying. (We crack 100 every few years, too.)

Good job on the runs, but don't push too hard, too soon. Let it heal!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Not a bad run...glad to hear the knee is being fairly cooperative. 

As Mark says...don't push it.  Houston is more important than 5 miles this week.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:13 am

Mark B wrote:Interesting temperature chart. Our summer temperatures are so erratic, it's surprising they could come up with an average, even over time. It's been very temperate this week, with highs just around 80 and lows in the 50s. Pretty much perfect. Supposed to hit 88 tomorrow, which isn't too horrible. Last year, we had a ridiculous number of days over 90. Just hot enough to be annoying. (We crack 100 every few years, too.)

Good job on the runs, but don't push too hard, too soon. Let it heal!
There was a narrative that went along with the chart that was written by a local, non-on air, meteorologist that stated because of the Specific Heat of Water (it takes longer and more energy to heat water than to heat air) it takes longer for the coasts to heat up than say Arizona, New Mexico, and that little patch in Texas that is part of Big Bend National Park.
nkrichards wrote:Not a bad run...glad to hear the knee is being fairly cooperative. 

As Mark says...don't push it.  Houston is more important than 5 miles this week.
Thanks, you two.  My left knee is healing from its inflammation.  When home, I can test it in various positions with noticeable improvement, as the weeks have gone by.  It's clearly similar to a recovering bruise or scraped knee in its physical 'appearance.'

*30*

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Saucony Kinvara 7 because it was a good deal ($110 for $100 with a $25 gift card from Runningwarehouse.com).  I will want to train in the Fall doing longer distances plus running at Brazos Bend State Park, where the April race will be held.  Since the 7 is the current model, I'll get to wear those for the next 18 months or longer (keep in mind I just retired the Kinvara 4 and am currently in 5's).

So I think I'm laying the foundation for being successful over the next 9 months of running.

Thanks, y'all.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:31 pm

I had a minor setback, this morning.  The idea was to run 8 miles, this morning.  I did that distance two weeks ago and I felt I was in a good place to do it again.  Cadence was better than Wednesday, but still drops after a half mile.  I really don't understand why the cadence is so frickin low.  Maybe that month back in April that I didn't run really wiped my running slate clean.

Anyhoo, everything was peachy to 5 miles, when my left knee seemed to be disturbed.  I carried on and as the discomfort was more consistent, I stopped around 5-1/3 miles.  I was curious as to what caused the issue, as I walked the remaining 2-2/3 miles home. 

Then, I figured it out.  Yesterday evening, I did about 8 air squats because I wanted to see how far down I could squat.  That action ended up in my opinion to be the cause.  During the night, it would ache in a spot that was familiar to me.  So even though the air squats did not hurt, it caused the running activity to be compromised.  No more air squats.

This will set me back about a week, but I'm still within the window to train for Houston and BB.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:43 pm

ounce wrote:I had a minor setback, this morning.  The idea was to run 8 miles, this morning.  I did that distance two weeks ago and I felt I was in a good place to do it again.  Cadence was better than Wednesday, but still drops after a half mile.  I really don't understand why the cadence is so frickin low.  Maybe that month back in April that I didn't run really wiped my running slate clean.

Anyhoo, everything was peachy to 5 miles, when my left knee seemed to be disturbed.  I carried on and as the discomfort was more consistent, I stopped around 5-1/3 miles.  I was curious as to what caused the issue, as I walked the remaining 2-2/3 miles home. 

Then, I figured it out.  Yesterday evening, I did about 8 air squats because I wanted to see how far down I could squat.  That action ended up in my opinion to be the cause.  During the night, it would ache in a spot that was familiar to me.  So even though the air squats did not hurt, it caused the running activity to be compromised.  No more air squats.

This will set me back about a week, but I'm still within the window to train for Houston and BB.

Ooo. Squats. Yeah. Those are sneaky little buggers. The whole "how low you can go" maneuver has tweaked out my knee more than once. Half squats are safer, and just as good.

Glad you figured it out!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:24 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I had a minor setback, this morning.  The idea was to run 8 miles, this morning.  I did that distance two weeks ago and I felt I was in a good place to do it again.  Cadence was better than Wednesday, but still drops after a half mile.  I really don't understand why the cadence is so frickin low.  Maybe that month back in April that I didn't run really wiped my running slate clean.

Ooo. Squats. Yeah. Those are sneaky little buggers. The whole "how low you can go" maneuver has tweaked out my knee more than once. Half squats are safer, and just as good.

Glad you figured it out!
It didn't even hurt when I did the squats!  Eased down all the way and did about 6.  In the overnight before the run, I had awakened to find my knee aching a bit.  Two weeks ago, that would've been because it was in a bad position during the healing period.  Now, I'll remember that ache and, of course, not doing deep squats.  It doesn't bug me much, but it does ache a bit in the overnight hours.  Good thing that I won't be able to run until Wednesday.

A little typing about BB50.  It's three loops of 16.8 miles and I'm aiming for a 14 hour finish, purely because the drop dead time is 15 hours.  Simply stated, a strategy could be to run the first loop, run/walk the second loop, and walk the last loop.  It would probably work its way to that kind of eventuality anyway.  That would divide out to a 14 minute 1st lap, 17 minute 2nd lap, and a 20 minute last lap or 14 hours and 16 minutes.

So my question is can I train for those splits by running a 30 mile (or 26 mile) training event of 15 miles at 14 pace, then either a 17 minute run/walk for 15 miles or 20 minute walk for 15 miles?  I haven't ash canned the run/walk idea, I'm just in a 'what if...' phase because I don't want to run out of time on the race.  That's all about that.

A few posts ago, I mentioned getting a small watch charger for my Garmin FR230.  Amazon had one of those really cheap deals on a little charger a little longer than a roll of nickels for $6.  I bought it, then looked at Garmin's site and found out the 230 cannot be charged and still record time.  The 235 can and the fenix, plus maybe the 910.  Oh well.

Thanks for your thoughts.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:45 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Glad you figured it out!
It didn't even hurt when I did the squats!  Eased down all the way and did about 6.  In the overnight before the run, I had awakened to find my knee aching a bit.  Two weeks ago, that would've been because it was in a bad position during the healing period.  Now, I'll remember that ache and, of course, not doing deep squats.  It doesn't bug me much, but it does ache a bit in the overnight hours.  Good thing that I won't be able to run until Wednesday.

A little typing about BB50.  It's three loops of 16.8 miles and I'm aiming for a 14 hour finish, purely because the drop dead time is 15 hours.  Simply stated, a strategy could be to run the first loop, run/walk the second loop, and walk the last loop.  It would probably work its way to that kind of eventuality anyway.  That would divide out to a 14 minute 1st lap, 17 minute 2nd lap, and a 20 minute last lap or 14 hours and 16 minutes.

So my question is can I train for those splits by running a 30 mile (or 26 mile) training event of 15 miles at 14 pace, then either a 17 minute run/walk for 15 miles or 20 minute walk for 15 miles?  I haven't ash canned the run/walk idea, I'm just in a 'what if...' phase because I don't want to run out of time on the race.  That's all about that.

A few posts ago, I mentioned getting a small watch charger for my Garmin FR230.  Amazon had one of those really cheap deals on a little charger a little longer than a roll of nickels for $6.  I bought it, then looked at Garmin's site and found out the 230 cannot be charged and still record time.  The 235 can and the fenix, plus maybe the 910.  Oh well.

It NEVER hurts when you're doing the full squats. Only afterward. That's why it's such an evil thing! Twisted Evil

As far as your training strategy goes for the BB50, I'd suggest that you focus ONLY on training at the 14/mi pace. That'll increase the likelihood that you'll hit that goal for the first lap, and maybe be a little faster on the second lap and maybe not have to walk the entire third lap. If you want to practice the fast hiking component, do that separately.

Bummer on the Garmin charging. Do you know how long it'll actually go before conking out? I know my Forerunner 305 started giving me low battery warnings after about four hours but kept going without a hitch for a lot more than that. You may not need to recharge.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Glad you figured it out!

It NEVER hurts when you're doing the full squats. Only afterward. That's why it's such an evil thing!  Twisted Evil

As far as your training strategy goes for the BB50, I'd suggest that you focus ONLY on training at the 14/mi pace. That'll increase the likelihood that you'll hit that goal for the first lap, and maybe be a little faster on the second lap and maybe not have to walk the entire third lap. If you want to practice the fast hiking component, do that separately.

Bummer on the Garmin charging. Do you know how long it'll actually go before conking out? I know my Forerunner 305 started giving me low battery warnings after about four hours but kept going without a hitch for a lot more than that. You may not need to recharge.
I was happy that I could do a pain-free full squat.  That'll have to do for a while.

Okay, Sensei, your suggestion seems reasonable and dirt easy to execute in training.  And I'll do lots of long runs.  Thanks, Mark.

My 230 watch will go at least 6 hours without having the backlight on.  I could record the first lap, charge the second lap, and record the third during the race. 

Oh, I have ordered a book called "Fixing Your Feet."  When I was looking at it on Amazon, the "Look Inside!" feature of the book doesn't just have a couple of pages.  No, it has the whole book!  So, take a gander.  It looks like it explains a whole host of problems, sans Mark's unique foot.  https://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Feet-Prevention-Treatments/dp/0899978304/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470625642&sr=8-1&keywords=fixing+your+feet
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm headed out of town for a few days...here's hoping that you can behave yourself while I'm gone...no full squats!

Take care...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:57 pm

nkrichards wrote:I'm headed out of town for a few days...here's hoping that you can behave yourself while I'm gone...no full squats!

Take care...
Yessssss, ma'am.  Have some fun!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:03 pm

This morning, I ran 3 miles to test out the knee and see how it was.  It was 80 degrees with a dew point of 77.  We've had three days in a row of 100 or 101 degrees.  We're under a heat advisory and, yesterday, we were under a rare for the area 'Excessive Heat Advisory' for heat indices between 108 and 116 degrees in southeast Texas, as indicated below.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 18 Image8

The knee did mostly well.  I thought I was going to have to stop around 2.25 miles, but it settled down and I finished the three.  I'll lace 'em up on Friday and see what happens.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:52 pm

Didn't lace them up on Friday.  It rained about 1.75" Thursday night.  So, I knew it was going to be a little muddy and the knee can handle an extra day of rest.

Friday was the first day that wasn't 100 or higher.  This week will be about 10 degrees cooler as we are getting some much needed rain.  Actually received another 1.75" on Saturday night, as what was pummeling Louisiana was sliding our way.  3.53" for the month, so far.  It's been awfully dry since July 1, so the ground can slurp up a lot.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:28 am

This morning, I ran 4 miles at a cadence of 160.  The 160 is a lot lower than the 168 or 170 that I've been doing for the past year.  I've had a lot of trouble maintaining 168 for more than a half mile or a mile with later miles between 145-151.

So, I thought that I would lower the cadence to 160 and see if I can maintain that for a longer distance.  What did I have to lose?  I had to make a change because I have arbitrarily christened today as the first week of training for the marathon (even though I haven't drawn up a schedule).  Further, as I was running this morning, I was telling my self, "Self, if you can't maintain 160, then you're in deep shit."  Amazing what a little encouragement does.

I haven't uploaded the figures, but I did maintain a 156-160 cadence for the whole run.  The temp was 74 degrees with a dewpoint of 72.  The splits were roughly 13:40-14/minute.  My finicky left knee was fine until the last half where I figured I was swaying too much.  As a result, I concentrated on going straighter and the knee settled down.

Oh well, here I go.

edit
Actual figures are as follows:
4 miles 55:51, 13:57 pace, about 140 avg bpm, 159 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length
1.  14:08, 159 spm
2.  13:47, 160 spm
3.  13:56, 159 spm
4.  13:58, 159 spm

Mid-morning, the knee was not too keen for walking, but settled down.  Any walking where the knee was not going straight (say as if one was strolling with a lot of time on one's hand) was not liked.

The old timey elastic knee brace might be good to limit a little of the side motion.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:20 pm

I'm on the list of receiving newsletters from the bunch that puts on the Brazos Bend 50 (BB50) and other trail races around Texas.  I noticed they have a BB100 and 50 race the same weekend in December.  I was highly curious.  It happens to be the day before my 30K race and 35 days before Houston. 

While it would be much cooler than running 50 miles in early April and the time limit is the 100 mile race's time limit, I don't think 35 days would be enough recovery time to run Houston, which is a shame.

I can save 50% on the April BB50 by volunteering at one of the races they put on in Texas, which I will do.

On the local weather front, our heat wave has been obliterated by rain.  This time last week, we were around 101 with a heat index of 108-115.  Right now, it's 83 degrees.  The Low pressure system that caused the historic flooding in Louisiana scooted enough to Texas to have us in a rain pattern.  Parts of town have received 8 inches, I've received 5 since Saturday night.  Odd for August, unless it's a named tropical system.

And at the risk of boring y'all further, this week in 1983 Houston had its first hurricane since 1961  (An early memory of mine at 4 and living in Beaumont).  I and my then wife had bought and move into a house in July.  It was my first experience with the eye of a hurricane.  Pretty cool, too!  The geometric center of the hurricane was about 4 miles away from our house.
Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 18 GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATExADU5Ny00YzRkLTdmODktMDACLTAwCgBGAAADKEs1I%2FKbcEu8weJc%2BdP4HwcAj59V2wfB00qMv%2FDqRkrOZgAAAgEJAAAAj59V2wfB00qMv%2FDqRkrOZgAAAICaUZgAAAABEgAQAFE6IAmMakNEtBnJQegbGwDJ&X-OWA-CANARY=zBMtMvDRqUG5myIqpg3QqiBYBPUhxtMYRVtkDJmTpJkbiOE5AyOh-60vHrNu1XhFzgwd0DU7-5Y.&token=77a591c4-dcd8-4e11-86eb-16d06910f844&owa=outlook.live
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:01 pm

Decent runs and congratulations on the official (if unscheduled) start of your marathon training!

Hopefully you won't need to work on swimming. The rainfall in Louisiana was nuts. Hope it tapers off as it passes through Texas.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:06 pm

Mark B wrote:Decent runs and congratulations on the official (if unscheduled) start of your marathon training!

Hopefully you won't need to work on swimming. The rainfall in Louisiana was nuts. Hope it tapers off as it passes through Texas.

Yup, there's a different mindset for me switching over to training from running to keep up (or establish) conditioning, which works better for me.  Thanks.

As far as the rain, there's nothing right now to cap the atmosphere (High pressure), so we're in a rainy pattern until next week with highs in the 80's, instead of the low 100's. Approval

-30-
This morning, I ran 3 miles at a cadence of 168 as my 'cadence work' run of the week.  When last we read about this runner's exploits, I ran 4 at 160 on Monday to try to find a cadence I can execute for the whole distance, which worked, as evidenced by the splits reported three posts ago.

It was 75 degrees with the same dewpoint.  It turned out that 168 was a good cadence for today because up to mile 2.25, I was maintaining the cadence.  HR effort was higher than Monday, which was expected.  I pushed to keep up the cadence for the last 3/4ths and that worked. 

I was very suspicious that my mile 2 split was 12:50.  I had stopped at the 1.5 mile turnaround point.  Usually, this messes with the Garmin satellite when I re-start and it guesses how far I have ran when it finds me.  But the mile 3 split was also in the 12's AND at generally the right spot on my route, so the 12:50 was righter than not.  The first mile was the mid-13s.  My knee did not flinch at the pace, nor the (usual) surface, even though there was higher effort and probably some less than always straight running.  I'll post the splits later.

That could be because I'm in a newer pair of Kinvara's that doesn't have the left, medial heel wear the other pair has.  I will confirm that by the end of next week.  If it is confirmed, then the other pair will be retired much earlier than usual or relegated to 3 mile runs or less.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:17 pm

One thing that I've been very particular about doing, in light of the ease at which I get niggles these days, is to just do light, non-strenuous activities on Tuesdays and Thursdays and to get a lot of sleep at night.

One thing I do daily is push ups.  Back in mid-July, Reina included me on her 22 pushups for 22 days thing.  I've just kept going past the 22 days.  I'm not able to do the original push up, just the one where the knees touch the ground.  I am working on doing all 22 in one set.

This week, I've had none of those even little niggles in the knee or anywhere.  I know the mileage will be increasing, so I may be going overboard on doing nothing on T-Th.  Time will tell.

Tomorrow will be the anti-Christ distance to Memorial Park and back (6.66 miles +/- .07 miles).
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:23 pm

OK, keep working on those pushups!  Even I can now do "real" ones and I did that challenge and have kept going.  You can do it, Doug!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Wow Doug...you've been busy in my absence.  Cadence runs, unofficial start of marathon training, push ups!  Good for you.

I like your plan to take it easy a couple days a week.  I've been quite successful with only running 3 days a week.  I do find cross training on those off days quite helpful but easy is good!  And your awareness of your need for extra sleep is a good sign that you know what your body needs to get through training and come out healthy on the other end.

Stay safe...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:58 pm

Whoa! Congratulations on getting drafted into push-up duty by Reina! And props for keeping at it. As much as I dislike them, they are a fantastic exercise -- not just for your arms and shoulders, but for your core.

Nice sneaking into the 12s, too. Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:05 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:OK, keep working on those pushups!  Even I can now do "real" ones and I did that challenge and have kept going.  You can do it, Doug!
Well, howdy, Miche1e!  Yes, I'll keep doing them.  I'll even try to sneak in a couple of real ones.  By the way, you can use one of the 4 active blogs to update us on your tri activities.
nkrichards wrote:Wow Doug...you've been busy in my absence.  Cadence runs, unofficial start of marathon training, push ups!  Good for you.

I like your plan to take it easy a couple days a week.  I've been quite successful with only running 3 days a week.  I do find cross training on those off days quite helpful but easy is good!  And your awareness of your need for extra sleep is a good sign that you know what your body needs to get through training and come out healthy on the other end.

Stay safe...
Yup.  Idle mind and everything.  Twisted Evil   Thanks.

Since I've been quick to injure and slow to heal, lately, it was the least I thought I should do.  Plus, I'll be tacking on a lot of extra miles in prep for Brazos Bend beginning in November or so.  Therefore, staying in one piece becomes the primary goal for both Houston and BB50. 

Mark B wrote:Whoa! Congratulations on getting drafted into push-up duty by Reina! And props for keeping at it. As much as I dislike them, they are a fantastic exercise -- not just for your arms and shoulders, but for your core.

Nice sneaking into the 12s, too. Approval
Yeah, I didn't ask for it, but it's been good to do.  She and I have a side deal going on that if she does X, then I'll add 10 push ups more and if she does Y, then I'll do 20 more than the base daily 22.  I want to do the 22 for many years, plus whatever she adds.

Boy, I was sure surprised seeing some 12s.  Thanks, Mark.

-30-

I was looking at the two pairs of Kinvara 5's, this evening.  The 'older' pair really has chewed through the left, medial part of the sole.  The older pair may have 100 miles on them.  I took a photo of the new 5s next to the older 5.  I'll post it later, but if the Kinvara 5 has a softer sole than the 4's, my concern is the new pair will soon show wear like the old pair.  So, I went to Amazon and found a new pair of Kinvara 4 and I bought them.  The 4s are an extremely durable shoe.  I now have a new pair of Kinvara 7s and a new pair of 4s on the way, in case the 5's sole is too soft.

In summary, if the older 5s wear is due to my 4 hour walk on Memorial Day weekend, then the older pair will be retired immediately.  But if the new 5s begin to show similar early wear, then I'll retire both and have a pair of 7s and 4s to run in.  The 4s are a 2014 model shoe.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 41 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum