365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+14
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Chris M
Julie
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
dot520
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Schuey
18 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 13 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Julie Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:27 am

I like it, not sure how long it takes to recover the 50 miler so let's try another one.  Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:04 am

If recovery from an ultra is anything like recovery for a marathon, then the recovery should be shorter with the more that you do. I remember needing to take 4 weeks off after my first marathon, but now all I take is a week off and I am right back at it.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:36 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
Mark B wrote:How long does it take to recover from a difficult ultra, especially when you're not habituated to doing them?
I have heard it takes a day of recovery for every mile of a race.

I've heard that, too. That'd be 50 days. I've also heard of a day per kilometer, or 80 days. Either way, I'm far past that now.

Julie wrote:I like it, not sure how long it takes to recover the 50 miler so let's try another one.  Very Happy

Heh. Why am I reminded of wise Mr. Owl in the old Tootsie Pop commercials?

Hot damn! I found the original!

Try it again someday? Yeah, that's probably going to happen. Smile

Nick Morris wrote:If recovery from an ultra is anything like recovery for a marathon, then the recovery should be shorter with the more that you do.  I remember needing to take 4 weeks off after my first marathon, but now all I take is a week off and I am right back at it.

I think you're right, Nick. I'm more inclined to chalk my inability to get going to bad luck more than anything systemic.

Once the life stress ebbs a bit, I bet there'll be fewer "mishaps" and tweaks. That may take a while, though. We still haven't heard from the insurance company on the claim, and that's required before our contractor can even schedule work to begin on restoration work. Oh well, it'll take as long as it takes. (And if you're thinking that this may be my family's ultra-endurance experience for the year, you're not alone.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Classic with the owl!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:31 am

I watched your video on FB last night. I can't believe how one little animal caused so much damage. Hopefully your claim will get approved and you will be able to get back to having a normal home before too long.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I watched your video on FB last night.  I can't believe how one little animal caused so much damage.  Hopefully your claim will get approved and you will be able to get back to having a normal home before too long.

Quite a sight, isn't it? Still, if I were Fluff's attorney, I'd point out that all the damage you see in the video (floors, walls, ceilings, etc.) was actually done by humans. All he did was get the house really, really wet. Wink

I'll post the video again here:

It's amazing how much you take for granted in a well-designed and fully-operational house. We are very much looking forward to the point to when we get ours back.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:I watched your video on FB last night.  I can't believe how one little animal caused so much damage.  Hopefully your claim will get approved and you will be able to get back to having a normal home before too long.

Quite a sight, isn't it? Still, if I were Fluff's attorney, I'd point out that all the damage you see in the video (floors, walls, ceilings, etc.) was actually done by humans. All he did was get the house really, really wet. Wink

I'll post the video again here:

It's amazing how much you take for granted in a well-designed and fully-operational house. We are very much looking forward to the point to when we get ours back.

And Fluff's attorney would make you supply affadavits of training with Fluff's paw print showing that he was trained on the proper use of faucets and what can happen when a minor thing will get blown all out of proportion by humans.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:03 pm

ounce wrote:And Fluff's attorney would make you supply affadavits of training with Fluff's paw print showing that he was trained on the proper use of faucets and what can happen when a minor thing will get blown all out of proportion by humans.

Yes, that sounds about right. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:11 pm

So, some somewhat unfortunate news...

At some point in the past week or so, either with a bad near-splits on a trail, by manhandling things in the garage, walking on an uneven surface -- or all that and more -- I seem to have tweaked something in my groin or upper right leg. I'll be taking a step, or bending over, when I get this sensation of being speared. It's so sudden and intense that I usually cry out in pain.

It's driving me crazy. Not only because it's keeping me benched for even more time, but because I can't nail down the exact source of the problem. I can't even replicate it. Hopefully, it'll settle down soon.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Mark B wrote:So, some somewhat unfortunate news...

At some point in the past week or so, either with a bad near-splits on a trail, by manhandling things in the garage, walking on an uneven surface -- or all that and more -- I seem to have tweaked something in my groin or upper right leg. I'll be taking a step, or bending over, when I get this sensation of being speared. It's so sudden and intense that I usually cry out in pain.

It's driving me crazy. Not only because it's keeping me benched for even more time, but because I can't nail down the exact source of the problem. I can't even replicate it. Hopefully, it'll settle down soon.

Dang, that sucks...hopefully a few more days on the shelf will correct it. Stay patient...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:52 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

Dang, that sucks...hopefully a few more days on the shelf will correct it.  Stay patient...

Hope so! It's a pretty disconcerting sensation. Nothing, nothing, nothing... then WHAM!! So weird.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:13 am

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Dang, that sucks...hopefully a few more days on the shelf will correct it.  Stay patient...

Hope so! It's a pretty disconcerting sensation. Nothing, nothing, nothing... then WHAM!! So weird.
I wonder if it's that voodoo doll that Fluff requested I send to him.  He said to make it look like you.  I thought it was a touching gesture.  But I should've known something was up, when he said to send it to his lawyer.  Hmmm.   No  Crying or Very sad
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:48 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

I wonder if it's that voodoo doll that Fluff requested I send to him.  He said to make it look like you.  I thought it was a touching gesture.  But I should've known something was up, when he said to send it to his lawyer.  Hmmm.   No  Crying or Very sad

Hmm... That would seem suspicious, wouldn't it? Very Happy

(Except that Fluff hasn't got a malicious bone in his body. He's more like a force of nature. You know, like a tornado.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Eureka!

So, you know that TV show "House" where the irascible genius doctor has a flash of insight that reveals what bizarre ailment is killing his patient? Well, I had one of those moments today as I realized just what's going on with my groin/hip/leg.

I remembered that, just before this happened, I was stepping into the shower when I realized -- too late -- that the water was too hot. I leaned back to get out of the scalding stream, lost my balance and reached for something in the shower that looked solid to catch myself. Except that solid thing wasn't solid at all, so I lost my balance more and only through some pretty serious effort managed to not fall out of the tub on my head.

The part of my body that did the huge "save Mark's noggin" move was exactly the part that's so twitchy now. (Whether said noggin was worth saving is a matter best left for history to decide.)

It's all clear to me: It's some sort of a muscle strain affecting multiple muscles in my lower core and upper leg. Exactly which muscles aren't that important anymore, now that I know what they do. While that means it's going to take a while for it to settle down, at least I have the comfort in knowing that it's an acute traumatic injury and not some weird overuse/chronic problem that's manifesting itself. If that's as good as news as I'm going to get, I guess I'll take it.

---

Update on the house: The insurance adjustor is back from vacation and made contact with us yesterday. We still aren't farther along in the process, but at least we know what's coming up next. (A furniture restoration guy is supposed to come and inspect stuff.) Again, still not great news, because we don't know when he's coming -- but again, I'll take what I can get.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:51 pm

The first step is identifying the issue. The second step is making sure it heals.

Glad to hear that it is something that a little rest will cure.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Nick Morris wrote:The first step is identifying the issue.  The second step is making sure it heals.

Agreed. Now I just need to see what sort of things can help promote recovery. But even if it's just a "wait it out" sort of situation, at least I think I know what's going on.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:The first step is identifying the issue.  The second step is making sure it heals.

Agreed. Now I just need to see what sort of things can help promote recovery. But even if it's just a "wait it out" sort of situation, at least I think I know what's going on.

Yes, glad the cause was identified.  I have 2 possible solutions.  Since it would not be a good idea to skip taking a shower, I recommend that Alita gives you a bath OR she steadies you in the shower, while you bathe yourself. 

No extra charge for the solutions.  What are friends for, after all?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:55 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Yes, glad the cause was identified.  I have 2 possible solutions.  Since it would not be a good idea to skip taking a shower, I recommend that Alita gives you a bath OR she steadies you in the shower, while you bathe yourself. 

No extra charge for the solutions.  What are friends for, after all?

Um, yeah. I'll pass on the suggestion, Ounce. Thanks!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I'm thinking rest may be the only viable solution for that type of injury. Not sure you be comfortable with massage therapy  Shocked 
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:45 am

Sorry to hear about your latest setback, Mark.  Is it in the range of the stabilizing muscles (inner thigh) that pull your leg in?  If so, stay off unsteady surfaces (trails, hills, etc.) for a while when you come back.  Also, yeah, massage is iffy with those muscles.  Can easily make it worse.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I'm thinking rest may be the only viable solution for that type of injury.  Not sure you be comfortable with massage therapy  Shocked 

Considering the massage suggested to me involved rolling around on a tennis ball, you may be right, Nick. I think that would at the very least result in me making some very loud and alarming noises. Definitely not something to try at work, or with the windows open at home. Wink

I haven't had a full spasm in a day or so, but I've had several small ones and a growing tightness. Bah.

It's probably too late for icing, and a dose of ibu doesn't seem to be helping, either.

Sigh. At least I'm mostly sure of how I did it. And I'd rather have a groin pull than a concussion. So there's that.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Sorry to hear about your latest setback, Mark.  Is it in the range of the stabilizing muscles (inner thigh) that pull your leg in?  If so, stay off unsteady surfaces (trails, hills, etc.) for a while when you come back.  Also, yeah, massage is iffy with those muscles.  Can easily make it worse.

Hi, Mike. Yeah, I think it's probably in the adductor group. Maybe the adductor brevis or pectineus. It's fairly high up, close to the leg crease, and I can feel it deep in the groin as well as near the femur.

As far as avoiding uneven terrain goes, that's going to be trickier than you might think, considering what's under the cardboard covering much of the first floor of my house...

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 13 Floor10

Every step puts my legs and hips at a different angle. Whee! Fun.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Welcome to the 50's.   Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:33 pm

So what you are saying is that they have not gotten all of the compressed board up yet... Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:52 pm

ounce wrote:Welcome to the 50's.   Wink

Rub it in, grandpa, rub it in...

Nick Morris wrote:So what you are saying is that they have not gotten all of the compressed board up yet... Smile

Uh, not quite. In fact, since we moved back in and stopped costing the insurance company so much in hotel bills, we've not seen hide nor hair of anybody who can get our house back together again. What a coincidence!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Mark B wrote:

Nick Morris wrote:So what you are saying is that they have not gotten all of the compressed board up yet... Smile

Uh, not quite. In fact, since we moved back in and stopped costing the insurance company so much in hotel bills, we've not seen hide nor hair of anybody who can get our house back together again. What a coincidence!

It's weird how that happens, huh?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next