365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+14
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Chris M
Julie
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
dot520
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Schuey
18 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 12 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Sweet!!  Just given clearance and you already have a goal race.  Attaboy!!!

Thanks, Nick. I'd signed up for that race a couple of months ago, in the hopes I'd recover quickly from what I thought at the time was a mere niggle. It turned out to be more. I'm hopeful that I can at least do the 30K, but we'll see.

---

Walk: 4.26 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, mild, a little muggy. Gear: Luna sandals, barefoot for a bit.

Alita and I took a walk on one of my running loops before lunch. She's getting ready for the Portland to Coast walk, and I figured a bit of extra walking couldn't hurt at this point.

The walk was fine, though it's amazing how someone who's under 5-feet tall can walk so fast. If she pushes it, I can't keep up. But I've never been a fast walker, most likely because I'd rather run. Smile

I'm still trying to get used to walking in sandals. Part of it is trying to make sure I'm using the right muscles. The other is getting the sandals better molded to my feet, and my feet accustomed to the contact points. My feet were okay for a while, but I started getting a hot spot on the ball of my foot toward the end. Glad we didn't go any farther. (The point between the toes where the strap goes was fine.)

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:42 pm

So that hot spot turned out to be a small blister on the ball of my foot. Oops! Pesky footwear.

I decided to forego a run today to let things settle down (it's not a bad blister; it's just in an inconvenient place). I should do some exercises to make up for it later today.

Happy Independence Day, everybody!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Mark B wrote:So that hot spot turned out to be a small blister on the ball of my foot. Oops! Pesky footwear.

I decided to forego a run today to let things settle down (it's not a bad blister; it's just in an inconvenient place). I should do some exercises to make up for it later today.

Happy Independence Day, everybody!

That's a wise decision. No sense in making things worse.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Hike: 5.68 miles with lots of climbing

Weather: Sunny, warm with a breeze. About 75. Gear: Terra Kigers

A hike on the Wildwood Trail in Portland's Forest Park with Alita and Alec. It was a bit warm, but there was a good amount of shade and a few breezes that make it not too bad.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 12 Screen10

My ankle got a bit sore toward the end, but not horribly so. It was gorgeous out there, and nice to be in the woods.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 12 10517210
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:51 pm

Man, I am envious of the terrain that you get to traverse.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:26 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Man, I am envious of the terrain that you get to traverse.

It was nice to be out there today, what with all the chaos going on in the rest of our life. I haven't been able to get out there due to injury or other issues, and I don't think I realized how much I've missed it.

Of course, poor Alec had to listen to me enthuse about the outdoors as he slogged along with us. He's 13, and while he likes the outdoors, he's not as used to trails. He didn't roll an ankle, which is good, but he kicked a few roots and had a few missteps. I think he got a good workout. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Mark B wrote:

It was nice to be out there today, what with all the chaos going on in the rest of our life. I haven't been able to get out there due to injury or other issues, and I don't think I realized how much I've missed it.

Of course, poor Alec had to listen to me enthuse about the outdoors as he slogged along with us. He's 13, and while he likes the outdoors, he's not as used to trails. He didn't roll an ankle, which is good, but he kicked a few roots and had a few missteps. I think he got a good workout. Smile

Gotta teach'em while they are young...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:17 am

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

yup.  Put a yoke on him and give him a rickshaw.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:25 am

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Heh. I remember where I was at his age, which was mostly trying to figure out the best way to float a chocolate chip cookie in a glass of milk. (Tip: Flat side up floats better, but it soaks up too much milk and disintegrates; flat side down sinks quickly but gets just the right amount of milk absorbed for eating.)

So... you can imagine why I'm interested in keeping him moving without getting him totally disenchanted with anything physical. With all the electronics these days, it's so much easier to become a slug.

ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

yup.  Put a yoke on him and give him a rickshaw.

Hm. You know, that might help... but we'd have to find something to put in the rickshaw. His parents are too hyper.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:32 am

I hear you on the electronics thing. When I was a kid, we really didn't have the handheld electronic stuff. There were arcade games and then the Atari and Nintendo. Now everything seems to be a handheld electronic. What ever happened to banging on pots and pans with a wooden spoon or actually playing outside building forts and what not to pass the time away?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I hear you on the electronics thing.  When I was a kid, we really didn't have the handheld electronic stuff.  There were arcade games and then the Atari and Nintendo.  Now everything seems to be a handheld electronic.  What ever happened to banging on pots and pans with a wooden spoon or actually playing outside building forts and what not to pass the time away?

:Checking Nick's birthdate:

Dang, aren't you a little young to be a cranky old guy? Wink

(But as for the lack of going outside... yeah. And the kids who spend any time outside are usually on 15 different club sports and scheduled to the max. Honestly, I don't know if anybody knows how to deal with boredom anymore. Maybe they never did.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:I hear you on the electronics thing.  When I was a kid, we really didn't have the handheld electronic stuff.  There were arcade games and then the Atari and Nintendo.  Now everything seems to be a handheld electronic.  What ever happened to banging on pots and pans with a wooden spoon or actually playing outside building forts and what not to pass the time away?

(But as for the lack of going outside... yeah. And the kids who spend any time outside are usually on 15 different club sports and scheduled to the max. Honestly, I don't know if anybody knows how to deal with boredom anymore. Maybe they never did.)

I didn't mean to sound crotchety Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Ohhhhh, it'll only get worse.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 pm

ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

The one thing that I love about where I am all summer is that kids are always outside - running, playing, biking, chalk drawing, etc.  Many of the older houses (1890s) still do not have TVs (although most have internet now, but still no TV).  We only installed the cable for the Olympics in 2012 and because we have a year round house and with all the snow, it is nice to have it when we are in the off (non) summer season.

www.ciweb.org
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:28 pm

ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Drat! Ounce beat me to the punch.

Still, the only thing better than an old fogey is a young fogey. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

The one thing that I love about where I am all summer is that kids are always outside - running, playing, biking, chalk drawing, etc.  Many of the older houses (1890s) still do not have TVs (although most have internet now, but still no TV).  We only installed the cable for the Olympics in 2012 and because we have a year round house and with all the snow, it is nice to have it when we are in the off (non) summer season.

www.ciweb.org

Being unplugged sounds appealing, Michele. (We hardly watch TV anymore now that we dropped cable.) And that looks like a fabulous place to spend the summer. Can we move in with you? Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Thanks...I think...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:19 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

www.ciweb.org

Being unplugged sounds appealing, Michele. (We hardly watch TV anymore now that we dropped cable.) And that looks like a fabulous place to spend the summer. Can we move in with you? Wink
DON'T DO IT, MICHELE.  DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suspect 
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Thanks...I think...
Just remember, Nick, it's the model, not the miles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Thanks...I think...

Mm... maybe thanks aren't in order. Wink

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

www.ciweb.org

DON'T DO IT, MICHELE.  DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suspect 

Shh! Michele needs to make her own mistakes, er, make up her own mind!

ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Thanks...I think...
Just remember, Nick, it's the model, not the miles.

Smile

---

Speaking of miles, I don't seem to be getting 'em lately. Tired and stressed most of the time, sore in weird places from walking on the obstacle course that is my downstairs floor. Almost got up early today to run, but held off after remembering that the last time I tried to push it when my stress tank was full, my peroneal tendon went all wonky on me. That's the last thing I need now. Neutral

I'll get running again soon, I hope. I don't want to lose what I gained in all those rehab runs.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Don't worry Mark, you shouldn't lose too much as long as you get out with in the next few days...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Don't worry Mark, you shouldn't lose too much as long as you get out with in the next few days...

True. I tried to go out this morning but noticed that a tendon in my right hip was grabby, and I opted to play it safe.

It seems so odd that the Mount Hood 50 is this weekend. Hard to believe it's been a year already. It's harder to believe I haven't been able to do a race since then, either. Sheesh!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:50 pm

I proudly wore my Mount Hood 50 shirt today in honor of the folks running the 2014 race today. It's kind of funny: I usually hate wearing tech shirts casually, but this is the first tech shirt I've had that has been designated only for casual wear, at least for now. It seems a little braggy, but only if you don't know the whole story.

I've been marveling at how quickly this race seems to have come around again. It seems like I've gotten very little consistent running in since then, thanks to a seriously stubbed toe, various illnesses, a death in the family, tendon tweaks and house floods. It's as if I used up a year's worth of karma out there on the trails last year.

I know things will settle down and I'll eventually be able to get back into a routine, and I'm confident that I'll benefit from what I've learned from my PT this year. Even so, there's a part of me that wonders just how much the 50-miler (and the training for it) took out of me last year. Most of the physical issues I've had seem random, but what if they're not? How long does it take to recover from a difficult ultra, especially when you're not habituated to doing them?

The questions are all impossible to answer right now, of course. The only real option is to get back to it and try it again. Hope that's soon. I'm curious to see what happens.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Walk: 4.28 miles

Weather: Coolish air, warm sun. Gear: Altra Instincts

A walk with Alita this morning, helping her get ready for the Portland to Coast. We did one of my standard loop routes, with me doing my best to keep up with her, and pretty much failing. I'm 9.5 inches taller than her, but she leaves me in the dust walking. For reasons I don't understand, I cannot walk fast. It's actually painful, in the feet and the hips.

If struggling to keep up wasn't bad enough, I ended up with a nasty recurring hip cramp later in the day -- the sort that makes you cry out when it spasms -- which makes me worry about testing out the body for running this week. Very frustrating.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:46 am

Mark B wrote:I proudly wore my Mount Hood 50 shirt today in honor of the folks running the 2014 race today. It's kind of funny: I usually hate wearing tech shirts casually, but this is the first tech shirt I've had that has been designated only for casual wear, at least for now. It seems a little braggy, but only if you don't know the whole story.

I've been marveling at how quickly this race seems to have come around again. It seems like I've gotten very little consistent running in since then, thanks to a seriously stubbed toe, various illnesses, a death in the family, tendon tweaks and house floods. It's as if I used up a year's worth of karma out there on the trails last year.

I know things will settle down and I'll eventually be able to get back into a routine, and I'm confident that I'll benefit from what I've learned from my PT this year. Even so, there's a part of me that wonders just how much the 50-miler (and the training for it) took out of me last year. Most of the physical issues I've had seem random, but what if they're not? How long does it take to recover from a difficult ultra, especially when you're not habituated to doing them?

The questions are all impossible to answer right now, of course. The only real option is to get back to it and try it again. Hope that's soon. I'm curious to see what happens.
I have heard it takes a day of recovery for every mile of a race.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next